[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

critics said: After being shaken by ET's farewell speech, ED has just realized how great her opponent could be in the struggle of power in the inner court.  Perhaps she is slowly regretting for allowing LK to shine brightly - letting others witness how capable LK is in handling even imperial court matters. The way she stares LK, it seems she will soon make another move to outsmart the latter (just my own observation).

Guest yuiivip

According to history,

SN began a campaign to force the emperor to pass the imperial throne to her son Ayurshiridar. However her intentions became known to the emperor and he grew apart from her.

(I don't want to see SN acting like JOJ. :(( ) and also SN went missing or died after TH died and Ayu got the throne ( did she go far away land with WY as the fortune teller told WY before?)

Her age is already 55 at that time and I have read somewhere that WY died 26 years earlier than TH but not sure

Just by thinking about SN becoming JOJ & following WY make me go crazy already. ~X(

My poor TH :(

I meant ep 37 is not there yet, usually on Thursday evenings the new episode Is on Hulu already, but not this time! ugh, I was really looking fwd to this one especially with all the slapping of the evil Wenches!

Guest critics

critics said: After being shaken by ET's farewell speech, ED has just realized how great her opponent could be in the struggle of power in the inner court.  Perhaps she is slowly regretting for allowing LK to shine brightly - letting others witness how capable LK is in handling even imperial court matters. The way she stares LK, it seems she will soon make another move to outsmart the latter (just my own observation).

Okay just a quick question hopefully those that watch dramas/awards show alot can answer my question

So assuming this show does have 50 episode so broadcasting the drama will end around the end of April.... Does this drama qualify for the 2014 dramas as well? It is like 1/3 of the year!! (Though pretty much all cast got something cuz mbc 2013 dramas were so bad)

Just want to say I wish it does cuz Ji chang wook got excellence awards for 2013 but seriously the episodes that broadcasted in 2014 show how much his character have grown, it would be awesome if he then get upgraded to the "top excellence" lol just wishful thinking

I just marathon the last 5 episodes again with proper subs...what I got most was...

TT is the Yoda of Empress Ki - The know-it-all and master of ambiguous answers
SN is Anikin Skywalker - Proud, talented and so easily corrupted
El Plague is JaJa Binx - Annoying character that won't die

The drama is a lot more interesting watching in succession.

Guest larabn

Okay just finished the ep with subs

starting from the very first of the ep

- TH really proved himself in this ep .... Giving off that speech and telling his men to promise him not to die
Did I see TH shooting arrows with SN too, our emperor today was a warrior :D I loved how he isn't the scared TH who runs away from fights anymore and he refused to go to a safe place and wanted to fight with his men even if it meant death for him

- I love Golta the most :D I want a eunuch just like him :P or in this century, I want a friend just like him :)

-
If I ever thought TN has feelings before, it's all gone to waste now with her being happy over the news of TH getting killed and her son not having a father anymore :-w A heartless power hungry witch like the rest of her family and her asking what she did wrong as well as the heavens are my witness :-w I would've slapped her too and punched her so hard that her soul comes out of her body to confess what she did :P

- I'm loving the silent codes between TT and SN :x He nodes, she understands and nodes back :D

- Moving on to ET who is very cuckoo thinking the gods will is to kill off innocent people for power :-w
him telling WY he will tear SN's limbs isn't the best choice, he just lost his chance with WY (as if he ever had had one :P )
but after watching the last scene with subs .... His death wasn't sad like I felt it was. They gave him the honor of Bayan killing him .... They gave a chance to talk which in it, ET made sure he wins again in a battle before he dies raising doubts and fear against SN and causing more enemies to her now. He is evil even in his last moments. The governors and ED now are certainly afraid of SN ruling and will not support her. ED was already starting to turn against her when she said... "she is a powerful terrible women" and what ET said just confirms her not to stand with SN now. Bayan on the other hand, still doesn't feel that way but all these lines of ET telling him that one day he will be like him and end like him as well as, when Bayan told TT to kill him if he becomes like ET. This makes me feel he will be like ET too and turn evil against TH and SN. The sad scene for ET however, is when his people started cursing him and throwing rocks at the mighty ET as well as seeing his son dead infront of him and TT telling him TJ's head will be displayed on a pole.

- DK doesn't have a wife or kids according to MBC subs, he has a father, a sister and a brother waiting for him :D  he still refuses to reveal his wife and kids  :P

- SN vowing in the last scene to do as ET says and put her son to the throne, rule yuan and help goryeo is the beginning of yet another transformation for SN who will not be looking after repaying her enemies now but after gaining power and control to help her homeland and secure her place in the palace. ET just opened her eyes to a new plan she wasn't focusing on, TH will be willing to help her to a limit but when things get too serious over goryeo and with the governors doubts, ED's and the new empress will add more porblems and he won't be able to agree with all her plans which will eventually cuz a conflict between them .... I like this new phase we are about to see

Guest larabn

Now for the screencaps :D
Rib9X2y.jpg
ET is going to bed when he finds the 4 musketeers waiting for him :P
Gotta love WY's team :)

jRdBKoS.jpg
"My abonim ordered your death" :-w Still as annoying as ever, talking too much only gave him a chance to say the word Abonim more
with more annoying sentences. I preffered him with less lines, and focusing on braiding his hair in styles than talking :-w

c1YR2CY.jpg
I love how the women and consorts were helping the men in the battle :) I specially like her (forgot the name :P )

sin3aR5.gif
Grand entrance for SN ... Loved it
Suhbus6.gif
If there was an award for best stares and reactions ... HJW is the queen of them all

Finally, attentive baby Ayu who is paying attention to ED talking says hi :D
FIlkm4g.gif

I enjoyed this week’s episodes, a lot actually. That isn’t to say that I didn’t have issues with how some things were handled, but this drama is one of those rare dramas, for me at least, where one excuses a lot of its flaws.

@tessieroo – regarding ET’s death, the Mongols created one of the world’s largest empires, in a relatively short amount of time. They utilized massacres as a war tactic, and were known to decimate entire areas; they even burnt the ground, just so no living thing would remain after they were gone. So one can say they knew a lot about killing.

At the same time, they were a tribal clan, and there are references to them having execution methods that did not involve spilling blood, i.e. back breaking – a knee is pressed into the person’s back, until the spine is broken. So it is not too far-fetched to imagine someone like ET, who was presented in this drama as a war hero, getting the option of a ‘no-blood’ execution.

Aside – one of the recorded accounts of this back breaking punishment goes all the way back to Genghis Khan himself. I mentioned before that part of the sequence of events that brought Genghis into prominence was the abduction of his wife. He partnered up with another famed warrior at the time, Jamugha, to go against the tribe that stole his wife. Well later on, some of the tribes made Jamugha, the Gur Khan, universal ruler. That didn’t sit well with GK and the two went to war against each other. Despite early defeats, GK was able to rebound, because he organized his military based on merit, rather than hereditary rank. Despite Jamugha having the initial upper hand, he was betrayed by his followers. Ironically, GK later killed those followers who defected to him, because of their lack of loyalty. GK then offered his old friend the option to live:

Now I say, “Let’s be allies” but you refuse me. When I try to spare your life you won’t allow it. So speak to Jamugha and tell him, ‘Allow this man to kill you according to your own wishes, without shedding your blood’” And […] Khan made a decree, saying: “Execute Jamugha without shedding his blood and bury his bones with all due honor.”

GK later went on to become Khagan, the Khan of Khans aka The Great Khan, a title that was reserved for him and his descendants, which of course included the TH Emperor.