[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

am finally back!!! just marathoned 31-35 last night and early this morning!!! i must say that my ship is sailing very smoothly!!!!!!luv.gif
will recap next week!! mianhe wasn't able to screencap yesterday and the other day... did some errands..

Guest yuiivip

So happy that ET group is gone. \:D/

I got a feeling that ED & new empress is going to ruin SN-TH sweet relationship.

If TH know the truth about Maha is SN's son, how will he feel?:(( Is that the reason he is feeling so sad at the ceremony in ep 1?

:-B Empress Ki is IMPRESSIVE in so many ways, especially because it is a 50eps drama. By episode 37 in 'quite a few 50eps dramas,' we  would have been "tortured" on a merry-go-round of plots and subplots that primarily were 'ruled' by antagonists and weak female characters with Cinderella-syndrome, that would rather suffer and be trampled on till episode 49 and finally find a smidgen of happiness in eps. 50. I for one find most of the Women in Empress Ki quite intelligent, strong and determined...whether their actions are honorable or not, whether they are servants or not, be they antagonist or not...I can't think of any weeping-willows in this drama. From the Nun that risked her life...to SN's maid giving TN's maid a smack-down, to SN, BS, TN, ED, ...I know this drama is 'based on a novel and history'....but, it could have ended up having the women only able to demonstrate intelligence due to the assistance of men. Even when they were preparing for War...they had the women assisting hand in hand with the men. Thank the dramagods..aka, Writers and PD for a balanced, well-paced drama with Excellence 'n Quality written all over it...Writers, PD, Actors, the whole EK Team...what a pleasure to completely be Immersed for an hour...these Actors are so good, that one completely forgets what their real names are in real life. Episode 37 fight scenes from start to finish seemed more like an action movie rather than what one would expect in a drama. KUDOS.  :-B Now to El Temur and his Selfish, Cruel and Evil Clan....hmmm, I have to say that because I cannot with all honesty say that I felt sad or sorry for El Temur and his youngest son's death. One cannot forget that for 37 eps...they were more than mean or power-hungry...they were murderers, rapists, killers, connivers, torturers...they preyed on the weak, the strong, and the powerful for Their PERSONAL Gain... They did this without a conscience, without sympathy and without regret. Not only, to a few, but to thousands. El Temur and his Wicked Clan were willing to slaughter everyone in their path, and only shed one tear...a tear....ok, TN shed a few tears ONLY because they were outsmarted and Beat....they showed no regret....NOT that I expected them to....El Temur in this drama really should have been hung in the dungeon where he tortured or had others tortured (i'm afraid to say it should have been in front of the citizens because it would make me look as vicious as the Temur Clan....so the dungeon would have been fine with me...their is no way such a evil man could continue to live another day)...Having said that I do understand why EL Temur was paraded in front of the Governors and such, and why he met his demise where he did (not that I liked it...why give such evilness a chance to talk? I said I understand why, BUT it sure MADE a for a good CLIFFHANGER)....to cast doubt in the minds of many about SN and bring in the new empress.....( X_X pout...pout....I know there's more to come...a new empress X_X, more betrayals,  X_X, discovery of MAJAs real mom ??? X_X....and whatever else I don't know about.... X_X...) aw...Empress KI makes my weeks seem so long.....gosh, I swore of 50eps dramas....BUT, NO way NO how, do I regret watching EK....Back to the Wicked Clan..TWO DOWN...TWO to GO.....I thought this eps was awesome, but, yes, another but, I would have wanted all of THE TEMURS gone....now, we have to wait till next Monday to have one cruel empress gone and another brought in...  :!! X_X :((....need a  ~O) cup of tea....to help me patiently wait for subs.....Thanks to everyone that recapped, shared thoughts, pics etc......you guys are the best..... :-bd

Just some thoughts on Ep36.  Sorry if these might have already been mentioned by others earlier.  I only managed to skimmed through some of the posts from the last 2 days.
Overall I was satisfied with the episode, everything was moving the way I had expected.  (Though I wish there were more SN screentime haha)
I wasn't surprised at all that SN didn't find out about MaHa's true identity.  It only works better for her.  This is just not the right time to throw something like that at her.  
I was however shocked, actually peeved that EB found out about MaHa's identity before SN did.  I was like WTH!!  Why is this guy always there to find out about these things.  The only redeeming part about that is all of WY's F3 have agreed that they can't expose this secret as it will bring harm to WY and SN.  Well we know how good EB is with keeping secrets.
I certainly hope that SN won't have to find out about MaHa from a third party (EB).
And what the heck is with that 'the birthmark runs in the family' crap?  I can accept the birthmark, but seriously, EB says WY has the exact same birthmark on his foot as well, and JK as the icing by say 'oh it must run the in family' right!  Writers, what is wrong with you!
Oh Bi-Soo, the things you do for WY.  I can see that WY shows some concern for her, but I don't see anything romantic from him.  The only thing I ask is if he does end up accepting Bi-Soo, I just hope that he will try to minize his connections with SN.  I absolutely hate it when there is a 4 way love connection, the two former lovers who aren't together always manage to get themselves involved in situations that would create all these misunderstandings and heartaches for the other tow.
Bi-Soo told WY about ET's secret treasure, and that they may know where it is.  Could this be the reason why SN will have to save WY eventually?  TH will find out about it too, and will send his troops to recover it (of course we know in EP37 DK is already looking for it), and WY wants to get that treasure for Goryeo.  In the process he ends up clashing with Yuan.
Did anyone's heart start pounding when MaHa ran into SN?  The first proper encounter between mother and son.  I didn't know at that time if I wanted SN to see the birthmark or not.  
Was anyone else disappointed that there weren't any SN/Ayu scenes?  I would have thought that SN would have said good bye to Ayu before going to the cold palace, he is afterall her newborn son.  My only comfort to myself is I believe she's already made all the necessary arrangements to keep her son safe, and they just didn't show it.
When TH went to see SN, I was so hoping that he'd bring Ayu, but nope.  At least we got to see a touching scene between the two of them.  This further confirms my believe that SN does have feelings for TH.  Those tears, how do they manage to time it so perfectly.  Kudos to HJW.
Can we assume that they've been sleeping together all that time based on TH's words to SN?  "Sleeping in bed without you is like sleeping on a carpet of nails"?
This has already been mentioned by many in this thread already, Tanasmirky (by the way I'm going to register this name, it'll be copyrighted soon :P) is no match for SN.  She's like a child trying to outsmart her teacher.  Every little 'victory' she has, she's so overjoyed that she forgets to analyse it, and starts to let her guard down.  She doesn't think why did TH so easily send SN to the cold palace with no struggle?
Also, I could never understand why ET trusted WY so much.  I guess it runs in the family, always over confident, and underestimate others. 
Brilliant plan set out by TT.  Make ET believe that he has a cause to take down BA for betraying him, and have him single handedly open the doors for the other governors to bring their army over to trample him.

Guest critics

Guys, aren't LK's kids so majestic.  She is really so lucky.  She has two great, beautiful nannies.
Empress Dowager for Baby Ayu.

http://thetalkingcupboard.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/empress-ki-e37-140311-hdtv-xvid-limo-avi_000979412.jpg

Empress Tanashiri for Baby Byul.
http://thetalkingcupboard.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/empress-ki-e37-140311-hdtv-xvid-limo-avi_000990023.jpg

pegster said: I was however shocked, actually peeved that EB found out about MaHa's identity before SN did.  I was like WTH!!  Why is this guy always there to find out about these things.  The only redeeming part about that is all of WY's F3 have agreed that they can't expose this secret as it will bring harm to WY and SN.  Well we know how good EB is with keeping secrets.

Hi, guys! I'm new here! Well, I posted a while back about me having a "hanbok thread" here on soompi and I got 4 off-topic marks, even though I clearly stated that "I'll be posting Empress Ki's casts in hanbok."
Nice! What a warm welcome!

Anyway, I came here to tell you all that I've been lurking around and it was only now that I decided to post something.
I must say, Ha Ji Won is doing a great job, and this drama getting better each episode. I'm also in love with all her costumes! Haha. I love 'em! :)))
Baby Emperor has matured as well, as I can see. I only hope that this drama will have a fitting ending. Oh, well.
Cheerio, mates! :)))

Guest critics

THSoldiers of the Yuan royals, heed my command!  If you surrender now, your life will be spared but if you refuse, then all your families and relatives will be put to death as well  for I shall never retract from this battle even if it means death.
http://thetalkingcupboard.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/empress-ki-e37-140311-hdtv-xvid-limo-avi_001082549.jpg
BRAVO!!  NOW, YOU ARE TRULY A RULER!

TH was able to defeat his opponents without using so much strength or blood shedding, be it from his own guards or from his enemies.  In fact, he only exercised his bargaining ability to secure the lives of his people.  Back then in Goryeo, he also he saved own his life & SN when BA & TT attempted to eliminate them. 

MBC has decided to post a "Greatest Hits" of Yeon-chul on its main television website, with this accompanying montage photoset:

BigKjaACYAETT7n_zps9eb5a0bf.jpg

Gotta admit that Jeon Guk-hwan did a magnificent job with what could have been a one-trick pony character.  My hat's off to you, El Terror... but only my hat.  I'd like to still keep my head attached to my body, if that's okay with you.  :P

critics said:

BRAVO!!  NOW, YOU ARE TRULY A RULER!

TH was able to defeat his opponents without using so much strength or blood shedding, be it from his own guards or from his enemies.  In fact, he only exercised his bargaining ability to secure the lives of his people.  Back then in Goryeo, he also he saved own his life & SN when BA & TT attempted to eliminate them. 

@cattx,
 Empress Ki is IMPRESSIVE in so many ways, especially because it is a 50eps drama. By episode 37 in 'quite a few 50eps dramas,' we  would have been "tortured" on a merry-go-round of plots and subplots that primarily were 'ruled' by antagonists and weak female characters with Cinderella-syndrome, that would rather suffer and be trampled on till episode 49 and finally find a smidgen of happiness in eps. 50. I for one find most of the Women in Empress Ki quite intelligent, strong and determined...whether their actions are honorable or not, whether they are servants or not, be they antagonist or not...I can't think of any weeping-willows in this drama. From the Nun that risked her life...to SN's maid giving TN's maid a smack-down, to SN, BS, TN, ED, ...I know this drama is 'based on a novel and history'....but, it could have ended up having the women only able to demonstrate intelligence due to the assistance of men. Even when they were preparing for War...they had the women assisting hand in hand with the men. Thank the dramagods..aka, Writers and PD for a balanced, well-paced drama with Excellence 'n Quality written all over it...Writers, PD, Actors, the whole EK Team...what a pleasure to completely be Immersed for an hour...these Actors are so good, that one completely forgets what their real names are in real life. Episode 37 fight scenes from start to finish seemed more like an action movie rather than what one would expect in a drama. KUDOS.   Now to El Temur and his Selfish, Cruel and Evil Clan....hmmm, I have to say that because I cannot with all honesty say that I felt sad or sorry for El Temur and his youngest son's death. One cannot forget that for 37 eps...they were more than mean or power-hungry...they were murderers, rapists, killers, connivers, torturers...they preyed on the weak, the strong, and the powerful for Their PERSONAL Gain... They did this without a conscience, without sympathy and without regret. Not only, to a few, but to thousands. El Temur and his Wicked Clan were willing to slaughter everyone in their path, and only shed one tear...a tear....ok, TN shed a few tears ONLY because they were outsmarted and Beat....they showed no regret....NOT that I expected them to....El Temur in this drama really should have been hung in the dungeon where he tortured or had others tortured (i'm afraid to say it should have been in front of the citizens because it would make me look as vicious as the Temur Clan....so the dungeon would have been fine with me...their is no way such a evil man could continue to live another day)...Having said that I do understand why EL Temur was paraded in front of the Governors and such, and why he met his demise where he did (not that I liked it...why give such evilness a chance to talk? I said I understand why, BUT it sure MADE a for a good CLIFFHANGER)....to cast doubt in the minds of many about SN and bring in the new empress.....(  pout...pout....I know there's more to come...a new empress , more betrayals,  , discovery of MAJAs real mom ??? ....and whatever else I don't know about.... ...) aw...Empress KI makes my weeks seem so long.....gosh, I swore of 50eps dramas....BUT, NO way NO how, do I regret watching EK....Back to the Wicked Clan..TWO DOWN...TWO to GO.....I thought this eps was awesome, but, yes, another but, I would have wanted all of THE TEMURS gone....now, we have to wait till next Monday to have one cruel empress gone and another brought in...    ....need a   cup of tea....to help me patiently wait for subs.....Thanks to everyone that recapped, shared thoughts, pics etc......you guys are the best..... Hello, It's been a while.  Awesome post as always the man with the insight. ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

The thing about Bang that annoys me, he seems to want to keep important information from WY (which to a degree i can understand), but yet he gives him useless information. Was the all letting WY know that SN gave birth to a son necessary? I mean the guy was admiring his new found troops training and was actually smiling then he goes with that news. I literally screamed "Who the f cares? Get steppin!" :)) Yeah yeah one could argue he said that because of the celebration banquet for the birth (which is funny since next thing was Maha's bday party instead) but really, i didn't hear him say that WY was invited or something. It's not like WY is asking for updates on SN so keep it to yourself! Shoo! lol

So is Tana just deposed and banished out of the palace?? I wonder if she'll only get the poison when DK will try to return with an army so hence they would follow history when she dies with her brother. It reminds me of the Great Seer when General Lee Seung Gye (King Taejo)refused to attack the Ming army and decided to launch a coup on King U instead. He had the king banished but later on, after setting him up they had him drink poison.
I think the best death for that shrew would be for SN to know by then about Maha's identity so right before her last breath, she should just whisper "The son that you cherish so much? I am actually his real mother and your beloved crush is the father." BANG! The shock would kill her faster than the poison. >:)

Guest adjani1430293095

@cherkell: indeed I think the acting is brilliant and all the cast are doing their best :) 
@pegster: I know what you mean about Bisoo, my point is either .. get them together or get it clear how they feel... this admiration business.... sigh... same as the looks between TH, WY and SY. For all the talking about giving each other up, WY isn't doing a great job.. and SY is also kind of responding to his looks.. (yes understand its necessary for this triangle thingy... and no offence to either side of the shippers...) 

Guest critics

One big last cry of once a great warrior and a throne grabber after acknowledging his defeat by a lowborn consort from Goryeo.
http://thetalkingcupboard.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/empress-ki-e37-140311-hdtv-xvid-limo-avi_002616449.jpg

Hi ever'body ~just a super quick drive-by (work up to my ears) ~ Well...at LAST. The old devil met his mediocre and unsatisfying end. (really writers? you couldn't have had him sword fighting...or dance-fighting or some such...to indicate his former warrior glory)
....instead they just have Bayan garrote him in the relative privacy of the court hall. So what was the point of wheeling him through the town to have one, of a dozen, peasants toss rocks and insults at him? 
I really dislike *softening* villains before their end moment ~it waters down the suffering and sacrifice of the good-guys...making it seem like - "Hey guys, ignore the fact that: one shot a mother dead while fleeing slavery with her child, another had a pregnant woman, her attendants AND nuns murdered mostly because she had trouble sleeping and the father put innocent people's heads in boxes like a Killer Willy Wonka choco-treat."
P'shah! They're really a pretty tight family and you should feel sympathy towards their struggles. (what, what?)
do. not. like. murderous to the bone - all of them and I am waving a finger of disapproval at the kid glove treatment of their deaths. (pout)
p.s. I'm really struggling to figure out exactly what kind of power the Empress Dowager thinks is possible for herself from this point forward.
She's no longer an *active* consort of a ruler - she absolutely can't re-marry. Ta Hwan can now read and write and is not under her thumb.She KNOWS Maha can't be TaHwan's real heir ...and must be smart enough to know that this could be revealed at any point.
Also smart enough to realize that Bayan would consider her -his puppet if they made a future alliance, (in that he would need her royal title-influence only, she has no other resources) ---her best option is to:
1) get rid of Tahwan, Seung Nyang and Ayu --- take Maha as the Crown Prince and act as Regent....a VERY flawed and dangerous plan.
2) establish a new Empress and try to make her a puppetALSO a very flawed plan because we know that ~ TaHwan won't be lending his dragon-seed to anyone but Seung Nyang AND reports on the new character are that she's two-faced in a big way. (ED will bet on the wrong horse and die because of it...my prediction)
In summary -----> exactly WHAT does the Empress Dowager think she's going to get from having power?? She got exasperated over the inner court finances and pitched the account books to Seung Nyang to straighten out - what's she gonna do when presented with warring provinces and taxation and plagues?
....seems like her BEST move would be to align herself with SN and spend her future as a well-dressed and powerful Nanny-Granny. (bet SN would even keep it a secret if Emp D wanted a boy-toy to ease her loneliness) TaHwan has a coupla' guards I believe would be capable to *delight the night* for her. (insert wiggly eyebrows ~ ~ )