Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

22 hours ago, Calli said:

Too bad the article doesn't mention how he was discovered by his sunbae during his 1st year at Sungkyunkwan while he was cleaning the theater with a rag and singing to himself~

JW really does seem to have a track record for these lucky breaks, doesn't he? lol - He was "discovered" in university by a sunbae who encouraged him to audition for Altar Boyz, which wound up casting him as the lead. And then he was "discovered" again by his current agency while he was playing the lead in Spring Awakening :P 

By the way, one thing the article (or, at least, comments to it) brings up is something I personally think as well: you can expect good things actors who can do both stage and screen ;) 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

JW really does seem to have a track record for these lucky breaks, doesn't he? lol - He was "discovered" in university by a sunbae who encouraged him to audition for Altar Boyz, which wound up casting him as the lead. And then he was "discovered" again by his current agency while he was playing the lead in Spring Awakening :P 

He was definitely cleaning at the right place at the right time^^ Though given that he was cleaning there every day (I remember him saying in an interview that he spent 365 days a year at school, he even went during vacation) so I think it's less about luck in his case and more about the fact that he was so very hardworking and skilled of course. If his sunbae hadn't overheard him singing that particular day, I wanna believe he would have on one of the many others Joo Won was cleaning and probably singing to himself~ 

Though the fact that at the time he didn't have any plans and big ambitions yet and was put on such a path by the help of others so very early on could be called "luck". 

I also remember him saying that it was several agencies who came to meet him during his successful Spring Awakening run. He picked the one he felt was the most suitable for him. 

So again, imo, not really luck but his presence on that stage and his talent that made the media and agencies pay attention to him and want to have him sign with them~ 

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

By the way, one thing the article (or, at least, comments to it) brings up is something I personally think as well: you can expect good things actors who can do both stage and screen ;) 

Agree so much. There are some truly excellent actors on that list and I don't think that's a coincidence. Being able to perform and shine on stage takes a lot of skill, talent, charisma, stamina and a whole lot of hard work and that translates very well on the small and big screen. There are many actors who come from theater who do exceptionally well in movies and dramas (Morgan Freeman, Hugh Jackman, Meryl Streep, the Fiennes brothers, etc), while it is less common/"easy" the other way around... 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, partyon said:

Can't believe that @sadthe1st bailed on us and voted for "Doesn't matter".

oops! hahahaha!! i only saw the "in a shirt and without one".. i din notice u specifically meant abs..

Child Smile GIF

joo won package default came with abs.. unlike a certain oppa.. where abs are difficult to be spotted with or without shirt.. *cough cough*

Sick Jim Carrey GIF

• LOL 5

5 minutes ago, sadthe1st said:

oops! hahahaha!! i only saw the "in a shirt and without one".. i din notice u specifically meant abs..

joo won package default came with abs.. unlike a certain oppa.. where abs are difficult to be spotted with or without shirt.. *cough cough*

LOL :D  Abs are mentioned in the question, though. :D

Has Joo Won always had abs though? I didn't really notice them in this extent until Alice. He really has been keeping himself fit since his military service. To my and surely many other fans' delight. :fullofhearts:

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

3 minutes ago, sadthe1st said:

i'm assuming he already had some in Good Doctor? lol time to hunt for those scenes??

No, can't really recall him having abs in Good Doctor. He was really cute in Good Doctor though :glee:

7038df360dc1b5d9e75577b71c2c07c7--boys-w

• Like 3
  • Thirsty 2
  • Blob 1

28 minutes ago, sadthe1st said:

it was forming in progress.. u can see the lines.. slowly getting well defined lol

He definitely has the body type that would easily develop muscle mass. He's a bit bulkier than most Korean actor oppas - a trait that I REALLY like in him. He looks like a European oppa :love:

201348978_1280.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thirsty 2
  • Blob 2

5 hours ago, partyon said:

No, can't really recall him having abs in Good Doctor. He was really cute in Good Doctor though :glee:

He really was @partyon :wub:

So sorry to butt into your abbs convo like that (:lol:) but I wondered myself not too long ago when Joo Won started working out with weights and his body started transforming (because based on his interviews until around 2013 he never mentioned training with weights, rather that he didn't have time to exercise during filming and that he would go swimming, running, etc when he had time off, no muscle training).

So I think it must have been some time after he finished Good Doctor, because I remember in one of his Life Log episodes (episode 3) we see him go train at a fitness club (leaderswithus_hulk) with a personal trainer for what looks like the first time. At the time he also mentioned that more than anything he wanted to start training for health reasons (maintaining weight, stamina). So it must have been around the end of 2013, early 2014 he started training like that. If you go to leaderswithus_hulk's instagram account you can literally trace his progress from the days of Yongpal and onwards~

This pic is from before he started working on Yongpal (according to papago's translation of the caption)

spacer.png

And this is how he looked in December 2019. He worked really hard... and according to what he said in his Ghost waiting room vlive from last year, training has helped him a lot with his stamina and staying healthy~

Edited by Calli
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thirsty 2
  • Blob 2

5 hours ago, partyon said:

Has Joo Won always had abs though? I didn't really notice them in this extent until Alice. He really has been keeping himself fit since his military service. To my and surely many other fans' delight.

No - the abs are new. We don't see them in any of JW's shirtless scenes prior to Alice. He joked once, during a fan meeting in Japan in 2013, that they didn't come easily for him and that he'd keep trying but couldn't promise anything.

So, in most of JW's shirtless scenes, he is fit or toned, but he's not ripped or particularly bulked up. That's what I recall from, say, Good Doctor (as you guys pointed out), but also Nae Il's Cantabile. And I actually think that it makes sense. My guess is that it's because abs actually don't come naturally for most people: it's not just about living a healthy or active lifestyle (which JW and most of his characters do), but specialized and focused strength training. So, given that, it makes narrative sense and would be in-character for Park Jin Gyeom to have abs, but not, say, Park Si On or Cha Yoo Jin. ;) 

[EDIT] 

I didn't realize there was a whole second page to this abs discussion. Can't say it's my thing myself - mostly because the whole concept of logging on to see thirst comments about JW has literally never crossed my mind before - but I do want to thank @Calli for figuring out the timeline that, as you'd see from what I wrote earlier, seems to be most likely from the drama-based evidence.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 3

2 hours ago, partyon said:

Thank you so much for voting in the Joo Won poll! :heart1:

Thanks so much for making it @partyon. I wish more people would have voted... 

I'm currently stuck reading old posts from this thread from around 2012 and it used to be so loud and busy and fangirly back then :wub:  I wonder what @mrdimplesand @coolrebornand all those lucky fans who discovered Joo Won early on would say if they were still around, seeing how manly their cutie looks now~ They were extremely appreciative of his physical attributes back then already^^ and of course of all of him. 

It's really fun reading those old posts (the ones that are still accessible) and a really great Joo Won history lesson. So many interviews and updates almost daily back then. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

I'm also just popping by to share these two gems I found while scouring the thread for Joo Won in glasses pics :please:

If you guys know when these were taken or have any in your storage you'd like to share please do, I'd really appreciate it^^

spacer.png 

spacer.png

Edited by Calli
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Hey everyone, I stumbled across Joo Won's tvn enews interview from November 2012 while I was browsing this thread and was desperately looking for subtitles or a translation and then found a post by @mrdimplesin which she had translated the interview but sadly I couldn't see the text within the post because the youtube video embedded in it was covering it :lol: 

Reading some old posts is really challenging... some just show up empty or you can only see embedded files and no text. Anyway, a computer wizard friend of mine easily managed to extract the text and I thought I'd share, just in case someone hasn't seen the interview yet, or has forgotten it since it took place so long ago^^

I thought it was really sweet and gave an interesting insight into Joo Won's mindset at the time.

here is the translation by @mrdimples

(my comments in bracket)

Nation’s maknae, Joo Won

3 years ago he was the young star who appeared in Baker King Kim Tak Gu

His looks are similar to Kang Dong Won and TOP

Nothing like a new comer, his courageous acting skills attracted the attention of viewers.

He even stole the heart of the one and only Uee.

Debuting only 3 years ago, Joo Won has already taken on lead roles.

Now, he is the man who has captured the hearts of Korean women (not just Korea, my dear)

Let us meet the best romantic guy, the charismatic handsome man Joo Won!

MC: Why are we here at Cheorwon?

JW: When I have rest time, I often come here.

MC: Oh, really?

JW: Ehn, the scenery here is very good

MC: I heard this hotel is owned by the President? (of Sim Entertainment?)

JW: So that’s why I come here even more often, haha

MC: Recently, you have completed the filming of Bridal Mask.

JW: Through Bridal Mask, you have earned the titles like the Nation’s actor, the ratings maker.

MC: Looks like you had a lot of stress.

JW: If I am really the nation’s actor, then I won’t feel the stress. But I am not truly the nation’s actor and it was not because of my being in the drama that the ratings was good. So the feeling of burden was heavy and I was also worried.

MC: I heard that Joo Won has a method of relieving stress?

JW: It’s totally uninteresting, a simple method…

MC: What is the method?

JW: Drinking coffee

MC: That’s really boring. Drinking, dancing, clubbing, aren’t these the things?

JW: I can’t drink. My body cannot take to it. So I start and end each day with a cup of coffee.

We prepared a special Drip coffee for Joo Won who cannot live without his cuppa.

MC: Let’s drink

JW: It’s very nice

MC: The way you drink also seem different.

JW: It’s the same…

MC: Take another sip and let’ see. You seem to have “tsk”

JW drinks again

MC: It’s really seems different

JW: Ah, is it?

MC: So, a CF model(for coffee) is really different.

MC: Do you know there is a psychological test for coffee drinkers? You have not been tested before, have you?

JW: I have not heard

MC: I prepared it. The innermost of one’s heart – “The Coffee Psychological Test”

Let’s start: Instant Coffee, Expresso, Americano, Café Latte and Machiatto. Which of these you prefer?

JW: Americano

MC: Oh..Joo Won-ssi likes Americano

JW: A bitter man(or astringent) man?

MC: An economical man?

JW laughs: An economical man…

MC reads answer: Joo Won ssi who likes Americano has the ability to lead and is a realist. You treat other’s problems like they are your own, you are the loyal type.

Also, you have many love experiences…

JW: Oh..yes..

MC: You are admitting to it? Are you the love expert?

JW: Fashionable people seems to mostly like Americano (clever Cutie)

MC: Seems like you have been in many relationships?

JW: Not many…I had 2.

MC: You are really lying…

JW laughs: lying…? MC: lying…

MC: What is the reason?

JW: My personality is exceptionally dull. When I was young, I had many thoughts of expressing myself. But on the contrary, after I have grown up, I couldn’t.

MC: Now, is there anyone new?

JW: Now there isn’t

MC: You really know how to dodge.

JW: But I don’t like reckless love…I like the relationship to last for a long time.

So, I will observe if this person is really suitable for me.

They show clip of Joo Won crying on “Win Win”

Captions on the screen:

Confession of a painful breakup, tears flowed from Joo Won.

Unable to protect his love, a man who has painful memories.

Cut to present interview-caption: In midst of filming, suddenly tears brimmed in Joo Won’s eyes…

A man who becomes small(weak) in face of love.

JW: Something got into my eyes.

MC: Eyes…Let me help and blow.

MC blows into Joo Won’s eyes. Resumes interview..

MC: Because the drama left you with a lot of feelings, it seems like it is not easy to let go.

JW: This production, Bridal Mask, there is really a heavy burden. Why? Because the production costs over 10 Billion Won. I really gave my utmost best and at the end, I was very exhausted. I also didn’t have much time to sleep. I only slept when I was filming 1N2D.

MC: Ah..it should be difficult filming 1N2D…

JW: But that’s when I had time to sleep.

Cut to 1N2D clip of Joo Won sleeping on Kim Seung Woo’s chest. Caption: So that’ why you were like this?

JW: In the end because I over concentrated, I started to become fatigued.

MC: All your works have been very successful. From Baker King to Ojakgyo Brothers to Bridal Mask.

Which one do you like most?

JW: It’s very hard to choose ah….towards Baker King and Ojakgyo Brothers, I was very unwilling to let go..

MC: Ah…I know….you are saying you like Bridal Mask most.

Caption: Sorry, Baker King and Ojakgyo Brothers!

MC: Recently, you must have made a lot of money.

JW: Ehn..recently my income increased quite a lot. (laughs) But I didn’t spend it, I handed it all to my parents to manage.

MC: All?

JW: Yes…

MC: I really wish I had a son like this

JW: Every month, I take pocket money of 700,000 Won from my parents. I need more money when we gather for 1N2D meals. Every time after we finished filming, we’ll gather together for a meal. Because I am the maknae, hyungs will always say “Let’s order cold noodles”

MC: I seem to be a spendthrift. Joo Won only spends 700,000 Won. What am I, to spend money so recklessly?

MC: Now, watching this show on TV, all those celebrities who spend more than 700,000 Won, please reflect on yourself.

MC: What else will you give your parents?

JW: I won’t buy it myself. Recently, my mom said our home needs a kimchi fridge. So I said: “Oh? We do? Then just buy it.” I’ll let my mom use it(money) whenever she needs it.

MC pretends to be the JW’s mom: Joo Won ah..this fur coat I will keep well.

JW laughs: If mom needs it…

MC: Filial son ah…filial son

MC: But I heard that previously before you became famous, you borrowed money from your fans? And also taxi fare…5000 Won.

JW: Yes, it happened before. During my musical theatre days, my income over 8 months was only 2 million Won. After you take away public bus fare and meals, I had hardly any leftover. Sometimes when I go for group gatherings and meals, there are no more public bus running and I could not return home. So there were fans who gave me money for food and also for taxi fare.

MC pretends to be a fan: “Oppa, I am your fan..” then he acts out putting the cash into Joo Won’s pocket.

JW: So I will think “Should I take it?”

MC: Then did you return it?

JW: I don’t quite remember.

MC laughs and pushes his shoulder in a playful manner.

JW faces the camera: To those who help me when I was young. I am really very thankful to all of you. I will use this strength and work harder. One of these days, I will reciprocate to you all.”

MC: Now, it’s getting a bit cold? Looks like we have to move, you are a flower boy(handsome) actor after all.

JW laughs...both stand up and Joo Won takes another sip from his coffee mug: “Do I bring it along?”

MC: Aahh…It’s really nice to be indoors.

MC: Joo Won-ssi also wears socks ah. Very cute socks. Joo Won laughs and wriggle his feet.

MC: Also, there is something we must definitely ask-1N2D. In the beginning, it must be very difficult?

JW: It was always so. It’s my first time appearing in a variety show, it was difficult.

In winter last year, they added new people to the cast of 1N2D 2nd season. Although in the beginning, it was embarrassing, Joo Won gradually displayed the raw ability of the maknae. With fiery passion on the inside, Joo Won is the most outstanding man in current time.

MC: Recently Uhm Tae Woon announced news of his marriage, did you know about it?

JW: Ehn..I knew about it

MC: How do you feel?

JW: Especially good. I wish him well that he now has a family. And hyung seems to be exceptionally happy so it’s very good. On the other hand, I also think :“Hyung is also getting married ah” I am a little reluctant but still very happy.

MC: If you are in a relationship, will you make it known or keep it a secret?

JW: I will not announce it.

MC: So now, whether you are in a relationship or not, we won’t know, right?

JW: Now, there could be a possibility (Cutie! Are you teasing?!?!)

MC: OOhhhh! Caption : So Cool!

JW: I will not publicize it…

MC: Then, no one will know?

JW: I won’t let any one know.

MC: Why not publicize it?

JW: I feel that it will not very convenient…also if my loved one is an actress, I don’t think I can watch her kiss other people.

MC: Ah..during filming

JW: Ehnn…during acting , I don’t think I can watch.

MC: You won’t feel good, your girlfriend kissing another person.

MC: But during Baker King, did you especially like Eugene? (did you have to pick her? No that I think any thing is going on but it will be more interesting with either one of the other 2)

JW: I was total fan, didn’t we have photos then? I would buy noona’s photo and stick it on my school desk. I was crazy about her.

MC: There was a kiss scene,right?

JW: It was the type where the girl was unwilling and I got slapped.

MC: If you have another chance with Eugene…

JW: I really wished

MC: Kiss scene?

JW: Huh? (is the MC mad? She is married, isn’t she?)

MC: Now, I am reading out Joo Won’s ideal type: A girl who treats her elders well, Her personality and appearance are in line. A beautiful back. A girl with a tummy!?(laughs). What do you mean by the personality and the outward appearance are in line?

JW: It seems hard to put it across accurately. It’s like when you see her face, you will think what kind of person she is. Aren’t there girls whose face and personality don’t match? (don’t worry we understand you perfectly)

MC: Those girls who are the reverse…

JW: Ehn…I don’t like. I like an ordinary girl.

MC: Also a beautiful back, a girl with a tummy? that’s really funny

JW: When acting in musicals, don’t the girls have to wear gowns?(sorry translation is vague here). When girl has a beautiful back, it looks really wonderful. Very special.

MC laughs.

MC: Today I did not come empty handed to meet Joo Won

JW: Is there something else besides coffee?

MC: There is…

JW: I am worried..Because of 1N2D, I often get suspicious.

MC: We felt pained when we watched 1N2D…

A female staff runs out to give Joo Won the pink pillow. (I feel her excitement seeing how she runs on tiptoe towards him).

Chinese subtitles ends here.

Interview ends with this:

MC: What type of actor do you wish to become?

JW: An actor who is full of compassion (In Chinese and I guess in Korean too, this word literally translates to an actor who is full of human smell. That’s why the MC is smelling him)
Not a celebrity or a star, full of compassion and love for his fellow men. Also in everyday life. At the end of it, still possessing the compassionate touch. Rather than being a good actor, I wish more to be a hardworking actor.

Joo Won’s message to viewers:

eNews’s viewers

I am resting after Bridal Mask was completed.

Next week, I will begin filming the Secret Battle of Man & Woman (7th Level Civil Servant) drama.

Please look forward to it

I will bring a new look and beautiful acting skills to meet everyone again.

Thank you~~please be happy.

Chinese subtitles and translation: minidadalove from Joo Won Bar on Baidu

English translation: mrdimples@soompi

Source: 글루미
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Calli said:
MC: Why are we here at Cheorwon?

JW: When I have rest time, I often come here.

MC: Oh, really?

JW: Ehn, the scenery here is very good

MC: I heard this hotel is owned by the President? (of Sim Entertainment?)

JW: So that’s why I come here even more often, haha

By the way, is it just me, or does JW seem to have some sort of special connection with Cheorwon? First of all, there's this whole point (the interview is filmed at Morning Calm Village, which is - or at least was - a resort that was run by his agency and that also appears several times in Life Log), but if I recall correctly, the White Skulls are also based in that area, since it's actually really close to the DMZ.

• Like 3