Lee Min Ho ♥ 이민호 ♥ ィミンホ ♥ 李敏鎬 Pachinko Season 2 Aug 23 on Apple TV+; Upcoming Drama 2025: Ask the Stars; Upcoming movie 2025: Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint

CarolynH

l_2020062302001086900221021.jpg

"The King," which showed poor ratings and popularity in Korea, is enjoying strong popularity in the global OTT market

SBS drama "The King: Eternal Monarch" (The King), which was sarcastically called "the terrestrial shopping mall," is gaining the most popularity in Southeast Asia. It is said that Studio Dragon, a production company, is leading the rise in stock prices as it has settled in the top 10 global traffic rankings of global OTT Netflix.

The popularity of "The King" is alarming. Local viewers will be left wondering, but it's all about overseas stories. According to Netflix, "The King" ranked ninth on the Netflix World Chart, which collects and releases all 190 countries. "The King" was the only drama in the top 10 Korean content.

The popularity of 'The King' is based in Southeast Asia. It topped the traffic list in the Netflix TV show sector in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippines. In addition, in Japan, Mexico, India, Chile, Ecuador, Dominica, Bolivia, Bulgaria, including Korea, it is among the top 10.

This project between Kim Eun-sook, author of "The Goblin," Lee Min-ho and Kim Go-eun drew attention, but the ratings did not support it. "The King," which started the first episode with 11.4 percent (Nielsen Korea, based on households nationwide), recorded 11.6 percent of the highest ratings in the second episode, followed by a series of declines. After recording the lowest viewer rating of 5.2 percent in the 11th episode, the final episode ended at 8.1 percent. The overall average viewer rating stood at 7.6 percent.

There were also sarcastic remarks due to the rampant PPL. Lee Min-ho's bottle coffee PPL, Kim Go-eun's stir-fried kimchi PPL, and LED mask PPL have become the subject of ridicule as they are still talked about in the online community.

However, the slump was completely washed away by Netflix. Even before the airing, Studio Dragon said it had collected 32 billion won in production costs from "The King" and Netflix copyrights.

Netflix is already putting extra effort into K-drama. While the global content production market has now been paralyzed by the aftermath of Covid-19, the advance of Korean dramas provides strong support for Netflix.

The global box office success of "The King" is expected to be a big boon for Studio Dragon. The launch of the new OTT (Disney+, Apple TV+) in the U.S. and the full-fledged competition with Tencent are expected to call for greater investment support for K-drama.

Kim Hoe-jae, an analyst at Daeshin Securities Co., recommended buying Studio Dragon by keeping its target stock price at 110,500 won. "The proportion of overseas sales is on the rise thanks to overseas expansion, the establishment of a U.S. corporation, the remake of Korean content, and the full-fledged global expansion," he said. "Original content accounts for one-third of the total production, and these works have about 20 percent of the project margin, so we expect steady improvement in profits from external growth regardless of ratings."

http://sports.khan.co.kr/entertainment/sk_index.html?art_id=202006231506003&sec_id=540201&pt=nv

• Like 10
  • Awesome 8

I think the success of "The King" on Netflix push Korean government to do something for OTT contents exports like today's previous article posted.

Here is an article about the success of "The King" :
https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/144/0000677746

0000677746_003_20200623151008169.jpg

The nations above from left to right :

South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippine, India, Mexico, Chill, Ecuador, Dominica,  Bolivia, Nigeria, Bulgaria

"The King" really did well in Malaysia, never dropped from TOP 1.  (5/11~6/10 total 31 days)

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 7

5 minutes ago, gtLmh0622 said:

I think the success of "The King" on Netflix push Korean government to do something for OTT contents exports like today's previous article posted.

Here is an article about the success of "The King" :
https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/144/0000677746

0000677746_003_20200623151008169.jpg

The nations above from left to right :

South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippine, India, Mexico, Chill, Ecuador, Dominica,  Bolivia, Nigeria, Bulgaria

"The King" really did well in Malaysia, never dropped from TOP 1.  (5/11~6/10 total 31 days)

*PROUD MALAYSIAN FAN HERE*:hypehype:

• Like 7
  • Love 4

14 minutes ago, Nikaa94 said:

Chinguuuuuz!

all these success news are bringing me into tears!!! So happy and proud!!!

LMH should be awarded by SK government for his massive influence in the world!!!!:glasses:

A Hallyu King indeed:coolshades:

• Like 7
  • Love 4

4 hours ago, syntyche said:

The digital content industry "New Wave Is Here."

Digital content is attracting attention these days. Moving from newspapers to portals to online shopping, from books to YouTube, companies have no choice but to focus on digital content suitable for digital platforms. A new wave of content industry has begun. 

Moreover, Hallyu contents such as music and movies have a very large direct and indirect economic contribution, such as enhancing the national image, contributing to promoting Korean products, and attracting foreign tourists to Korea.

Exports of Korean Wave content, which consists of characters, music, broadcasting, advertising, and movies, are also increasing. There is no recession in the export of content such as BTS, which topped the Billboard chart four times in a row, a parasite who won the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival, "The King: Eternal Monarch," who won the world's No. 1 drama on Netflix, and the Korean Wave character "Baby Shark," which ranks fifth in YouTube videos around the world. The character industry that develops characters and manufactures and distributes character products is an important Hallyu content industry. Pengsu is attracting attention as a next-generation cultural export that will become popular around the world.  

full article:

https://news.joins.com/article/23808163

I am happy but just we read these articles and big sites don't translate these news really annoying, just fans know this :angry:

2 hours ago, Layali said:

I am also curious about how K-minoz show their support. I just read one of those blogs which translates hate comments from knetz and some psychotic retards criticized him for receiving gifts from fans....like imagine the mountain of hatred you must be born with to gripe at the love fans showed. It was an article on Nate and I wished I had an id to comment under those articles down-voting anti's slandering him. I feel kminoz could have mitigated such comments but the majority were such lowlifes commenting I suppose they didnt bother 

I guess Kminoz don't use Nate so much or they are so lazy , Nate is full of LMH hater mostly:wacko: So I don't read NTZBZ translation any more 

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

3 hours ago, happivirus said:

I am loving all the good news start rolling in.  He doesn't chase after success but success chases after him. Bravo :thumbsup::cutekitty:

Well said indeed. He has great and incredibly longevity. He deserves it and way more

• Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Miss Pizza said:

Agree with this. Can the fans made the petition to MYM to request this?

A lot of K celebrities are doing this because they suffered malicious comments. Even KGE agency also aldy issued warning abt malicious comments targeted to their artist. 

MYM should really considers abt this. Especially now,  this explosive popularity after TKEM. I mean the amount malicious comments against him is just too much. It really pains me whenever I read those things. :bawling:

Can we really? I want to write to MYM but I need back-up from other i-fans  here.I believe if enough of us from here email mym or message them through ig,they will take action against slander. I like that they already acted swiftly with regards to that ig acc who posted video from jeju of LMH and JIW. They were clearly advertising their park using his name without permission.We need to see more proactive steps such as these from mym. Can we  email mym formally requesting them to step up in doing  more? we can come up with a template email and individually email them to take action. 

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

I am happy but just we read these articles and big sites don't translate these news really annoying, just fans know this :angry:

Such articles commending TKEM have been popping up once in a while, but hopefully, the mainstream media, local and international,  picks it up, instead of them focusing on the flaws of the drama. Whether from a local or an international perspective, the international success of TKEM is praiseworthy! :approves:

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Layali said:

Can we really? I want to write to MYM but I need back-up from other i-fans  here.I believe if enough of us from here email mym or message them through ig,they will take action against slander. I like that they already acted swiftly against that ig acc who posted video from jeju of LMH and JIW. They were clearly advertising their park using his name without permission.We need to see more proactive steps such as these from mym. Can we  email mym requesting them to step up in doing  more? we can come up with a template email and individually email them to take action. 

I'm 200% in for this. I even thinking we should mention that particular blog in the email... Just to give MYM a clear pic abt the situation. Though I want to believe, they might hv known.

Clearly that blog using LMH name as clickbait to their post (their purpose giving is for TKEM review.. Yeah righttt:unamused:) but the truth is that post is only inviting more haters & malicious comments

• Like 8

MYM IG Update

EbMHlgtU0AA1mbP?format=jpg&name=small

SPECIAL EVENT
Yesterday was a birthday for the most favorite actor Lee Min Ho. I hope you had a wonderful day, too. Please post a birthday photo on your SNS account! Birthday party photos, your writing or drawing, self-produced images & videos are ALL OK! A total of 50 people will receive Minomi emoticons!

✔ How to participate:
1. Click "❤" on this event post!

2. Upload anything related to birthday to your SNS with hashtag below!
#Happy34thminhoday #Lee Minho #Minom #Minom #Minomomomoticon

3. Leave comment of "Event Join" under the post!

✔ Participation period: June 23 (Tuesday) to June 26 (Friday)

※ Cautions
- Private/non-follow accounts will be excluded from the winner.
- The emoticon serial number will be sent via Instagram DM on June 29 (Monday).
- The emoticon is only available for 30 days.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBxf21egfze/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, syntyche said:

Such articles commending TKEM have been popping up once in a while, but hopefully, the mainstream media, local and international,  picks it up, instead of them focusing on the flaws of the drama. Whether from a local or an international perspective, the international success of TKEM is praiseworthy! :approves:

Ah I just saw these new emojies:Ohboy3:Finally soompi made new things 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, leeminhosny said:

Ah I just saw these new emojies:Ohboy3:Finally soompi made new things 

Right? Finally we have these nice emojis. Soompi and this thread have been keeping busy while you were away. Nice to see you back :)

We have another poll in "The King" thread. Cast in your votes! :coolshades:

• Like 7
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Layali said:

Can we really? I want to write to MYM but I need back-up from other i-fans  here.I believe if enough of us from here email mym or message them through ig,they will take action against slander. I like that they already acted swiftly with regards to that ig acc who posted video from jeju of LMH and JIW. They were clearly advertising their park using his name without permission.We need to see more proactive steps such as these from mym. Can we  email mym formally requesting them to step up in doing  more? we can come up with a template email and individually email them to take action. 

Hi there - if you flip back to page 3308 you can see the notice MYM issued last year about taking action. Perhaps they need to re-issue it bearing in mind the rubbish that’s been going on in the last few months.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, willenette said:

CallieP,  oh......really? Do you think LMH is changing his hairstyle every 2-years? Well, there are haircuts and then there are ridiculous haircuts, which women will crucify you for. What may look good in the glossy magazines, isn’t exactly what women will find attractive. :blush:

He had the curly GJP hair, then the PT hair style, then the CH hairstyle, then the Faith locks, then he cut it right after Faith, then the Heirs cut, his slight curls in LOTBS,  military buzz and finally King's hair style.  :D

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

9 hours ago, Heretorant said:

The more people try to tear him down, the more I love and support him. 

and @nikka94  You're absolutely right.  I think the more people continue with their disparaging remarks the more resolved we are to support him.  If the intent is to have us drop LMH, it ain't gonna work!

@Wis dom:  Thank you for the birthday wishes for LMH!  Have you seen his other dramas? Also @Chellsee- almost forgot to mention you, chingu!

@Lee Min Ho 이민호 King Welcome to the LMH thread!

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, CallieP said:

He had the curly GJP hair, then the PT hair style, then the CH hairstyle, then the Faith locks, then he cut it right after Faith, then the Heirs cut, his slight curls in LOTBS,  military buzz and finally King's hair style.  :D

CallieP,  in Korean entertainment industry, many actors feel the necessity to change their appearance to get into the character and to help the audience differentiate between the various roles the actor has played. In particular, the hairstyle plays an important role, often acting as shorthand to describe a character. Not all actors change their hairstyle often, but there are many who do for each drama they take on & one of them is LMH. He’s one actor who always tries different hairstyles to get into his drama characters. In "BOF", you call that curly hair “conch”. For “PT”, he opted for a trendier cut that suited his architect character. ...  In “TH”, he cut his hair short –– giving him a more playful look. In “CH”, Lee Min Ho had long hair with a side-swept fringe with a few brown highlights. And that induction cut during his military service.  Ye, the hair makes the character – :blush:

• Like 4