Most Iconic 2nd Generation Kpop Songs and Music Videos

partyon

Most Iconic 2nd Generation Kpop Songs and Music Videos  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Most Iconic 2nd Generation Kpop Songs and Music Videos in your opinion? (choose as many as you like)

• Wonder Girls - "Tell Me" (2007)
    • BIGBANG - "Fantastic Baby" (2012)
    • T-Ara - "Roly Poly" (2011)
    • SHINee - "Ring Ding Dong" (2009)
    • f(x) - "Electric Shock" (2012)
    • 2NE1 - "I Am The Best" (2011)
    • CNBLUE - "I'm Sorry" (2013)
    • Girls' Generation - "Gee" (2009)
    • Super Junior - "Sorry Sorry" (2009)
    • miss A - "Bad Girl, Good Girl" (2010)
    • TVXQ - "Mirotic" (2008)
    • KARA - "Mister" (2009)
    • Taeyang (of Bigbang) - "Eyes Nose Lips" (2014)
    • 2PM - "Hands Up" (2011)
    • Brown Eyed Girls - "Abracadabra" (2009)
    • INFINITE - "Man in Love" (2013)
    • SISTAR - "Alone" (2011)
    • Highlight (BEAST) - "Fiction" (2011)
    • Something else. What?
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Most Iconic 2nd Generation Kpop Songs and Music Videos in your opinion? (choose as many as you like)

• F.T. Island - "Severely" (2012)
    • MBLAQ - "Cry" (2011)
    • Girls' Day - "Something" (2014)
    • K.Will - "Please Don't..." (2012)
    • 4MINUTE - "Volume Up" (2012)
    • Teen Top - "Miss Right" (2013)
    • HyunA (of 4MINUTE) - "Ice Cream" (2012)
    • 2AM - "Can't Let You Go Even If I Die" (2010)
    • Apink - "Mr. Chu" (2014)
    • B1A4 - "What's Happening?" (2013)
    • IU - "Good Day" (2010)
    • SS501 - "Love ya" (2010)
    • After School - "Bang" (2011)
    • ZE:A - "Breathe" (2014)
    • G-Dragon (of Bigbang) - "Crooked" (2013)
    • Block B - "Very Good" (2013)
    • None of the above
    • Something else. What?
    • Wonder Girls - "Nobody" (2008)
    • Your choice YYY here (let us know before you vote)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/05/2023 at 04:00 PM

32 minutes ago, partyon said:

They divorced in 2006 but no one found out about their marriage (not even her family) until she sued him for alimony in 2011...

I read about their marrige but not even her family knew about it? That`s new for me. WOW. What marriage was that?! :surprisedwut:

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 4
  • Blob 2

3 hours ago, larus said:

I read about their marrige but not even her family knew about it? That`s new for me. WOW. What marriage was that?!

It's possible if she lives on her own and far from her family, with little contact. Pretty sure her handlers and also his kept everything about the marriage under wraps. Their names are also pretty common in SK, so that would make it even easier to get married discreetly and register it.

• Like 2
  • Blob 4

9 hours ago, partyon said:

They divorced in 2006 but no one found out about their marriage (not even her family) until she sued him for alimony in 2011... Needless to say that this is one of the biggest marriage scandals ever to surface in Korea.

This is so funny. I have no idea who he is, but I read all about this in her Wikipedia page a year or so ago. Good thing she put her past behind her and did a fantastic job in My Mister. :lol:

• Blob 5

OMG what Pandora's Whole did you throw me into :isannoyed:, I dont like present Kpop by any means but this set sounds so good (i HAVE NEVER Heard Much of them or any Generation lmao except maybe Maria Maria lol....). I dont think I am elligible to vote here but sure would list what I loved listening too....lmao...:getmygrooveon:

• Like 2
  • Love 3

No, I am keeping my options open.  But I will vote for 2 p.m. for sure. :coolshades:

I mean his concerts look like fun. A live strip show. Oh yes! 

Send me one of those sweaty t-shirts!:Pandabulous:

Fun fact: I find him way sexier than RM. :bashful:

Just now, partyon said:

@confusedheart voted for 2PM - only because of Chansung's abs :joy:

• LOL 5

*** It was K-drama for me first. I always loved hearing & listening songs from the dramas that I watched so, one day upon scrolling on YouTube, I saw many videos/songs of different K-pop groups.  Hence, I developed an interest in K-pop. But, I’m into more of 3rd generation….. :blush:

Spoiler

BTS V & Jungkook came into the picture especially when I watched “Hwarang” and there I saw V.  I remember being amazed by BTS performance. After that I started learning more about them, starting with their names (it always starts with the names). Then I fell into the YouTube rabbit hole of ARMY-made videos and I got to learn more about them through that as well. I downloaded their albums. I fell in love with their discography and I still listen to them almost every day. I continue to support them for many reasons, the main one being because of the members themselves. I genuinely love the members and I love the music they make.  :Twerkdatbutt:

I believe that the second generation of K-pop acts played a significant role in the rise of K-pop on the global scene. I like K-dramas so much, though compared to K-pop that I have many biases (only male) and watching all of their dramas. That’s why, being a very linguistic person, I also started learning Korean. :kitty:

These are the 2nd generation that I like: Wonder Girls / BigBang / SHINee/ CNBlue / Girl’s Generation / Super Junior/ Miss A / TVXQ / 2PM / Infinite / IU / 2NE1 / SS501 / ZE:A

I like “Sorry, Sorry” from Super Junior, BANG BANG BANG, FANTASTIC BABY, and GOOD BOY from BIGBANG. I also like 2PM’s Again & Again, I Hate You, and Heartbeat. Taeyang’s ‘Eyes, Nose, Lips” is good, too. The lyrics describe a broken-hearted man's longing for his former lover. The song was a huge success when released then. Taeyang wrote this song about his now wife, Min Hyo Rin, while they were dating.

I like the music videos of "BANG BANG BANG" (explosive beats) and FANTASTIC BABY (so artistic). Fantastic Baby was the most viewed group MV during that period. Ohhh….makes me feel old – hahaha - Bang Bang Bang is a masterpiece, too... These are amazing songs! :heart3:

A lot of second-gen idols have crossed the bridge from singing then to portraying roles on screen like Taecyeon and  TOP. (many of them, though)

• Like 2
  • Love 3

7 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

It's possible if she lives on her own and far from her family, with little contact. Pretty sure her handlers and also his kept everything about the marriage under wraps. Their names are also pretty common in SK, so that would make it even easier to get married discreetly and register it.

I am not saying it is not possible but it is very weird. To keep it a secret from your family for 9 freaking years!!!! I know they lived in US. Maybe their family were in Korea. But still....

• Like 1
  • Blob 3

1 minute ago, larus said:

I am not saying it is not possible but it is very weird. To keep it a secret from your family for 9 freaking years!!!! I know they lived in US. Maybe their family were in Korea. But still....

That's what she claimed. Then again Seo Taiji claimed that both of their families knew because they had to get permission to marry.

"On the TV talk show “Healing Camp,” E confessed that the two fell in love after they first met at concert in the U.S. E talked about how lonely her life was as she had to keep their marriage secret for Seo, hiding it from their friends and family."

"As Seo came under growing pressure from his fans for an explanation, he made clear his position in a press release, two days after E’s confession.
“Regarding E’s comments about Seo, they weren’t all true and rumors are surfacing, so I want to get the facts straight,” Seo said in a press release through his management agency.
According to the press release, Seo first met Lee in 1993, but they married four years later when Lee was eligible for marriage.
Seo and E had their parents’ permission to tie the knot, just like any other ordinary couple, unlike E’s claims that they were hiding it even from their families.
The pair travelled, went shopping and had dinner out while living in the U.S. They also invited their friends and relatives over to their home to spend time together, Seo claimed. "

https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20140813001089

So maybe the real truth was somewhere in the middle?

Sesame Street Idk GIF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, partyon said:

Please do vote for the ones you liked the most - we insist.

It is hard. In the first category I voted for the only song I knew. And I like it. Taeyang (of Bigbang) - "Eyes Nose Lips" (2014)

In the second category, I know/ heard about some artists or bands but I never heard their songs. I voted for 2PM because they were one of my girl (KSY) `s favorite band in the past. I trust her taste.  :lol: You wanted a vote, I voted it....

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, larus said:

In the second category, I know some artists or bands but I never heard their songs. I voted for PM because they were/are one of my girl (KSY) `s favorite band. I trust her taste.  :lol: You wanted a vote, I voted it....

She has good taste. :wub: I also voted for 2PM because they have good songs and they are all actually genuinely nice, friendly and hardworking people. With great personalities.

Spoiler

unlike some other idols out there :grimace:

I actually have first hand knowledge about this. :kiss_wink:

Also, all of them have abs. Not just Chansung @confusedheart :joy:

bgz__s1ceaaillo.jpg

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

2 hours ago, willenette said:

But, I’m into more of 3rd generation….. :blush:

Am not AS knowledgeable about the 3rd generation compared to the 2nd generation, but I am willing to make a similar poll for 3rd gen kpop later this year if there is enough interest. :kiss_wink: I do know enough to include e.g. TWICE, EXID, EXO, BTS, BtoB, Blackpink, Momoland, AOA, Red Velvet, VIXX, N'UEST, GOT7, GFriend, Winner, etc.

It'll be hard to decide which of the BTS songs should be featured :grimace:. We can only choose one. @YongZura⁷

It was interesting to compile the list of the 2nd generation bands and their songs, as there is so much drama and gossip and scandals and even tragedies that have happened to many of these bands.

If anyone wants to hear about some of the biggest scandals and/or news that made the headlines, do let me know. My name is @partyon "I Love Gossip" after all.
:emmm:

tagging fellow gossip enthusiasts @Lmangla @larus @MayanEcho @confusedheart

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, partyon said:

Am not AS knowledgeable about the 3rd generation compared to the 2nd generation, but I am willing to make a similar poll for 3rd gen kpop later this year if there is enough interest. 

It'll be hard to decide which of the BTS songs should be featured . We can only choose one. @YongZura⁷

I agree! They have too many!  Each song is iconic in itself because the songs are their real stories (the majority).

@partyon I will have to exclude myself if you have it later for my own peace of mind. :hwaiting2:

(I was just talking to myself yesterday... hmm I haven't seen any abs yet...) and here they are...:hahah!:

Well, take care, everyone.  I will have to go to complete my next task.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

2AM Song:

one guy i recognise as a side character from hotel king! i didn't know 2am before... only 2PM

seulong-hotel-king.jpg

for CNBLue I rather pick "I'm so lonely" as iconic song!

it was fun clicking through the songs, as i discovered many that i didn't know before. thank you for organising with such thoughtful detail!

• Like 2
  • Love 3

13 hours ago, partyon said:

Glad you liked the list! Please do vote for the ones you liked the most - we insist. :kiss_wink:

What matters is what YOU LIKE - that's what makes it iconic for you.

I am sure if I had listened to these when they released I would call them iconic too.....

Similar genres released here in Indie pop around 2003 ish so yeah those days and Nostalgia always hit hime no matter what Country.

I Loved Loved.....THE one with Choi Min Ho ---BABYYYYYYYYYYYY........(Ring Ding Dong??)

Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry.nik Nik Nik Nik (pardon my pronunciation)..SuperJunior hahah......

Mirotic (Woah Sexy Men lol)

Gee by Girls Generation (It just was super cute)

Alone by SISTAR (Me and my friend were super confused like is it sarcasm or really depression? lmao....here we call this feeling of being SAD as DUKHI, so this was SEXY DUKHI Song lol)

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 9/29/2023 at 8:52 PM, partyon said:

POP QUIZ: Does anybody know why One Day actually only has 10 members today (2AM - 4 members & 2PM - 6 members). Who is the person who left....?

@joccu is someone who should know... :kiss_wink:

Park Jae Bum aka Jay Park

@partyon  that episode of running man was especially funny and good.

And the reason why Jae bum left 2pm was bc of his unfavorable comments about Korea in his MySpace. When he left 2pm went back to US people finally realizing that the messages had been severely mistranslated  And taken out of context.  However Jay contract with JYP 
Was terminated in 2010 citing a separate “personal mistake” that had made in 2009. What mistake he made who one in the public knows it. 

• Awesome 4

13 hours ago, YongZura⁷ said:

(I was just talking to myself yesterday... hmm I haven't seen any abs yet...) and here they are...

You can count on me, chingu. :hwaiting2:

3 hours ago, madmad min said:

I Loved Loved.....THE one with Choi Min Ho ---BABYYYYYYYYYYYY........(Ring Ding Dong??)

I believe this might actually be the most iconic songs on this list, because everyone still talks about it to this day. :glasses:

2 hours ago, joccu said:

Was terminated in 2010 citing a separate “personal mistake” that had made in 2009. What mistake he made who one in the public knows it. 

You're right @joccu! Jay Park was the 7th member of 2PM back in the day, but his contract was terminated. I guess we will never know the real reason, but we know that JYP is very strict about only allowing idols with good character into their company. So whatever mistake Jay Park made, it must have been deemed to not fit into the company's values.

Here is the original line-up with 2PM as a 7 member band before Jay Park was suspended:

B_3uWS6k2mZpWBU5RkZ8x42pZHK55Yv37PlS9bwS

Mirotic (Woah Sexy Men lol)

Yeaaaaahhhh..... :love: tagging @Ameera Ali

HIST_TVXQ_HEADER.jpg?format=1500w

Did you know that TVXQ broke up in 2009 after their hit song Mirotic? The three guys on the left (Junsu -> Yoochun -> Jaejoong) sued their agency SM Entertainment because of contract issues (excessively long contract) and unfair profit distribution.

Long story short. The courts allowed the trio to leave and they formed their own band called JYJ:

20100904_jyj2_seoulbeats.jpg

whereas the guys on the right (Changmin -> Yunho) continued as TVXQ (also known as DBSK):

3f34e68efa7ed7130d7bcad514fe48496171708f

The agency was so angry about the split though that they did all in their power to keep JYJ from becoming successful. So they banned JYJ from all Korean platforms. They were not allowed to promote or take part in any Korean activities. The threats from the agency extended to other countries outside of Korea as well.

The issue became so serious that the government passed a law in 2015 called the "JYJ Law" where it prohibited 3rd parties from blacklisting certain individuals or groups in the industry.

Little changed in practice though, and Jaejoong was only able to appear on a Korean music show in 2021 ! It took 11 years.

Can we also take a minute to appreciate Jaejoong's amazing genes? Like Lee Soo Hyuk, he doesn't seem to age.

9BoJLX7pXrGG0euTEKXfkWikR8v_Ya0Hu-5OXXLu

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 3

If someone made a Kdrama on it, would it be banned too? Omo such a dramatic phase of life and career. 

It was dramatic chingu. JYJ made a lot of changes in the industry for the better though. They e.g. made so called "slave contracts" harder to make.

Some other dramatic things happened with some of the other bands too:

• Some of the idols committed suicide - SHINee's Jonghyun, f(x)'s Sulli and KARA's Goo Hara (Goo Hara committed suicide 6 weeks after her good friend Sulli's suicide). :bawling: RIP to these angels.
    :brokenheart:
  • T-ara scandal: The band T-ara was shook by some very serious bullying allegations in 2012. Basically T-ara was ousted from the kpop scene due to this scandal. Fast forward a few years later and reports come out that the bullying actually had happened the other way around (so the perpetrators were actually the victims). In any case, a lot of careers were ruined in the process.
  • BIGBANG scandals: Seungri got booked for quite a lot of crimes and was somehow involved indirectly in the Burning Sun scandal. He ended up in jail in the end, but was just released earlier this year. G-Dragon and T.O.P. from BIGBANG got into drug scandals - k-netz have still not forgiven T.O.P. for his scandal and are furious he's set to appear in Squid Game 2. Daesung was found to have owned a building that was running a brothel.
  • We still don't know if IU and Super Junior's Eunhyuk dated but she (by mistake?) uploaded this picture on social media:
    70618_original.jpg
    Her company denied the dating rumors and clarified, that she was "only visiting the sick"
    :loolz:

I have so many more stories I remember. :joy:

• Sad 1
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 2