EVENT: [Drama 2010] Secret Garden re-watch - 시크릿 가든

partyon

10 minutes ago, partyon said:

I think we can also see how even k-dramas have changed through the years. 13 years ago, men were more "macho" if you will in dramas. So this will be reflected in the script.

Yeah, 13 years ago I may not have noticed anything. These days, after seeing manipulation and narcissism play out in other shows and sadly in real life (not my own story, but others'), the attitude Joo Won has is really off-putting. But I will hang in there :). Still curious to know what his backstory trauma is.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

3 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

Still curious to know what his backstory trauma is.

All I can say is that it will all make sense.

I do see that Joo Won in ep 9-11 is already more aware of her feelings and also making sure to protect her from e.g. his mother. He does realize also when he hurts her feelings. So in that sense we are already seeing character development, albeit slowly.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Blob 1

11 hours ago, lilyphenix said:

Sadly, still at 9. I haven't made progress because life suddenly got busy, but hope to catch up!!

No worries, chingu. :kisslevel: You're gonna love ep 10 and 11 though. They were so much fun! :loveu:

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 3

I get that Ju Won is a jerk (prickly cactus and materialistic), but Oska lecturing Ju won makes me laugh out loud. As if juvenile, irresponsible, slimey Oska is any better. Oska's manipulating the Seul/Raim Situation anyway, so they both don't "have the right" to date either Seul or Ra Im. 

Hypocrisy Hypocrite GIF by chuber channel

• LOL 4

1 hour ago, partyon said:

I guess you are annoyed by Oska too? :D 

yeah i don't get his charm.

the episodes consist of

20% Oska screaming at his manager or Ju Won or Seul, 10% of Oska being a celebrity and charming Raim/Fans, 20% of Raim fangirling Oska, 40% of Ju Won's arrogant antics / Ra Im's violence, and  10% Seul's angry eyes (IDK if it's the actress or the model looks, but her eyes really look as if they could cut glass any moment). 

Glaring Korean Drama GIF

also she keeps harping about the money he got from his mum as him in her body. but what about all the embarrassing and stupid stuff she did in his body? 

i'm feeling like ju won is getting too much slack for what he did, and she gets none for what she did.

• LOL 2

17 minutes ago, partyon said:

Soooo.... Chingu, anyone you like in this drama?

That's what I was going to ask @agenth. :loolz:

3 hours ago, agenth said:

yeah i don't get his charm.

TBH I don't get anyone's charm in this one, except maybe Director Lim from the action school. He has gravitas, he's thoughtful and caring, and he wants to help Ra Im succeed in her work. Joo Won I don't really find likeable, Seul is super annoying and behaving badly, and Ra Im is OK except when she doesn't stick up for herself.

Oska I like the most out of those four :). His bluster and indignation are hilarious. In the original airing did viewers want him and Ra Im to get together? That would've been a nice Cinderella story, too....except he's had a lot of women. :spitswater:

• LOL 2

8 hours ago, partyon said:

Jo Won-though he is annoying but i liked him better in the latter parts.

The secretary - good comic relief

The team - they had some funny moments

Ra Im - liked her when she was decisive and stood up for herself...

Seul - did not like her in the beg but liked the scene  in ep 13 (when they had the party)

Oska - meh but i was ok with him

Edited by partyon
Please do not quote images as per forum rules :)
  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

17 hours ago, partyon said:

the secretary ? raim#s friend? :D

I just think none of the leads or second leads have clean vests. Being human is having flaws. But It's kinda tiring that every second scene something infuriating happens.

and i kind of don't really understand the plot.

now oska is mad at ju won for embarrassing seul at the first family meeting. to be honest i think it's kinda shitty of her to act like she first met oska at that meeting. 

plus we judge ju won a lot for his immature acts in raim's body (or post switch). but what about raim making weird drawings and wearing oska socks and signing off everything at the company, making ju won look crazy? 

oska talks about how he "won" raim during the bet, and raim is like smiling and looking at him with hearteyes...

and I'm like... wow. the double standards

• LOL 1
  • Blob 1

Episode 15 switch of body is really, really cruel.

That body switch potion mostly is to Ra I#ms favour. Last time Ju Won was in jail (instead of Raim), and now stuck in an elevator, too, facing his worst fear. 

I can't wait until that uncle gets what he deserves. The granpa is just really cruel, he only scolds people and is obsessed with his new wife, so it's not like he's doing any work himself, either. 

also I ship Tae Sung / Oska (someone needs to put Oska in his place). Not feeling Oska / Seul AT ALL, it's only past dredged up. 

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

10 hours ago, agenth said:

That body switch potion mostly is to Ra I#ms favour. Last time Ju Won was in jail (instead of Raim), and now stuck in an elevator, too, facing his worst fear. 

Yes, chingu. There is a reason behind it being more to Ra Im's favor.... The elevator is Joo Won's worst fear come true. Imagine waking up in there. :grimace:

My only beef in this scene and the one continuing in ep 16, is that it's depicted as if you could actually die from a panic attack. You can't die from anxiety directly in an elevator like that. But he needs to be treated, of course.

10 hours ago, agenth said:

Not feeling Oska / Seul AT ALL, it's only past dredged up. 

I actually find Oska's and Seul's relationship toxic, and I don't think they should get together again. I mean, he was an idol and yes, she must have suffered from having to hide their relationship. But that's his job and she knew very well that that is what his job entailed. She actually acted very insecurely about all the women fans around him. Demanding him to only spend time with her. Very bratty and immature tbh.

So then when she overhears him say that he's not serious about her, she should have just confronted him openly and talked about it. Not dump him in a mean way, up and leave and then later come back and act like a teenager with a temper tantrum. Nah, her character doesn't sit well with me.

On 4/15/2023 at 2:09 AM, tiMadam said:

Seul - did not like her in the beg but liked the scene  in ep 13 (when they had the party)

What are your thoughts about Seul now?

@the_sweetroad @lilyphenix @Ameera Ali @gm4queen How is your rewatch going? :coolcat:

I will watch ep 16 and 17 today.

Next week will be our last week :coolshades:

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

Just finished Ep 16 and am relieved we’re finally getting some details of Joo Won’s accident and Mr Gil’s death. So sad that the stories are intertwined but I guess that’s kdrama fate for you.

Seul is growing on me, but some of her reactions to Oska himself still don’t make any sense. I guess it’s her defense mechanisms built up over time.

Funniest moment was Oska’s meeting with Sun:

Sun: Why are you so obsessed with me?! :joy:

Later:

Sun: I’m leaving Korea!

Oska: You always say that! Why, are you going to catch shrimp? You look like one. 

:loolz:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 1

Ep 17:

Oska picking up Sun and carrying him through the airport. :joy: And Lee Jong Suk is tall!

Also, I thought Ra Im knew the movie director was there when she did the “audition”?! Otherwise what were they doing that elaborate scene for? Are they actually shooting something else? She’s so surprised to learn here that the director has been flown in and was watching her. A bit creepy not to know, really.

Joo Won’s mom is such a monster. I can’t believe she isn’t more thankful and compassionate toward the daughter of the man so saved JW.

Also… those cat dolls Ra Im has in her apartment are terrifying.

EDIT: He kidnaps her from the hospital??!! Rich people really think they can do anything. :blink:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

@agenth @Ameera Ali @the_sweetroad @gm4queen @lilyphenix @tiMadam @Learry 

Guys, did you finish the drama? I'm now on ep 18.

And:

confused basketball wives GIF by VH1

The writer just couldn't stay away from this trope.

Disagree No Way GIF by Yellowstone

Best of all? Joo Won is now a 21 year old youngster with no idea who Ra Im is. And he's annoying. Again.

b30d7593aac358822ed6301f8e6031da.jpg

But Oska STILL has an ahjumma haircut. :unamused:

sg18_53.jpg

• LOL 6

I somehow managed to finish this drama last week ago or so...

i am relieved.

i think this drama aged badly, but i will never forget all the screaming, the sparkly track suits, the intensely colored licquor, razor sharp eyes... and so many other things

Korean Drama GIF

the ending surprised me in the way that they didn't have granma be nice to the family but only to the kids. that's what you call a principle!!! whoah! 

• LOL 5