[Drama 2021] Gentleman and Young Lady, 신사와 아가씨

Lmangla

So from normal preview she's supposed to leave in about 2 days. So i guess she find out day before or the day she's about to leave. Hopefully DD moves back into YG house after she finds out. Since Sejong really needs her.

Written Preview

Episode 41 Preview

When  Sejong, who was struggling with separation anxiety, finds stability with Dandan's appearance, YG and his family are relieved. However, Soo-cheol is angry at the YG who summoned Dan-dan in the middle of the night, and pushes him to the YG, saying that he should be ashamed of the YG who brought Dan-dan. Meanwhile, Dan Dan stops by Anna's officetel to find materials for the fashion show, and finds Anna's photo album...

• Like 5

On 2/13/2022 at 6:03 AM, Lunkera said:

Poor Sejong aswell as Sechan and JN in this episode. Next weekend looks promising though when were back with 2 episodes.

in fact my heart ache watching Se Jong and Se Chan crying in Ep 40. At such a young tender age, again

their hearts are torn with DD leaving for US after they have built a close bonding with DD during her tenure

as live in tutor .

18 hours ago, Lunkera said:

So from normal preview she's supposed to leave in about 2 days. So i guess she find out day before or the day she's about to leave. Hopefully DD moves back into YG house after she finds out. Since Sejong really needs her.

Written Preview

Episode 41 Preview

When  Sejong, who was struggling with separation anxiety, finds stability with Dandan's appearance, YG and his family are relieved. However, Soo-cheol is angry at the YG who summoned Dan-dan in the middle of the night, and pushes him to the YG, saying that he should be ashamed of the YG who brought Dan-dan. Meanwhile, Dan Dan stops by Anna's officetel to find materials for the fashion show, and finds Anna's photo album...

Hopefully, DD makes the right choice by staying behind and continue as live in tutor in YG house.

Soo Chul has the right to get angry as a father to DD but I think he has to let go for the sake of DD happiness.  The discovery of Anna's photo album by DD, will be a shocked to DD. It will take her time

to come to a stage where she will forgive Anna Kim for abandoning her when she was just a baby.

• Like 4

On 2/14/2022 at 1:31 AM, Lunkera said:

Written Preview

Episode 41 Preview

Hopefully, DD makes the right choice by staying behind and continue as live in tutor in YG house.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Thong Thin said:

in fact my heart ache watching Se Jong and Se Chan crying in Ep 40. At such a young tender age, again

their hearts are torn with DD leaving for US after they have built a close bonding with DD during her tenure

as live in tutor .

Soo Chul has the right to get angry as a father to DD but I think he has to let go for the sake of DD happiness.  The discovery of Anna's photo album by DD, will be a shocked to DD. It will take her time

to come to a stage where she will forgive Anna Kim for abandoning her when she was just a baby.

She's not going anywhere. Once she finds out the truth about her mother who abandoned her and manipulative father, she'll be back home with her "family."

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

I think there is a disconnect between how the viewer is supposed to feel about some characters and the way they actually behave. I think it's because these characters are really just plot devices who act in whatever way is convenient for the story to move along.

A quick review of YEON-SIL: in the very beginning of the show, she took the "Key Money Deposit" (jeonse) of her home without telling her husband and let Dae-beom invest with it. (probably at least $200,000) They lost all the money and as a result, the family became homeless. This was the catalyst for why DD and SC ended up as live-in servants in Yeong-guk's home. Storywise, I guess it works, but in real life, it's really terrible and she could have seriously ruined her whole family.

There are times when she is completely craven when it comes to money. Like taking everything that Mi-suk (SC's sister) offers them and even taking DD's wage advance. It's really awful how she does all this without telling her husband.

They also showed a scene when her two kids were little in which Yeon-sil favored Dae-beom over DD and treated her unfairly. It's not like she abused DD or didn't feed her. But kids know when they are treated unfairly and it hurts them.

Despite all her misdeeds, the worst I can say about Yeon-sil is that she is impulsive and foolish. She's a birdbrain. And I also think she's done some good things in her life. I can't say that she is a good person, but I also don't find her terrible and deserving of punishment.

Also, she physically attacked Anna at her home TWICE and trashed the place. I mean, wow. She actually went back there and ripped Anna's hair out again. I can't defend violence, but that was kind of funny... in a sick way. And of course, it makes you wonder when Yeon-sil became so possessive of her husband, since she previously couldn't wait to shove him onto a plane to the U.S. with Anna.

She's not a particularly well-defined, consistent character, is what I guess I am trying to say.

Another character I feel this way about is GI-JA. Who is Gi-ja even supposed to be? A greedy mother who wants to marry her daughter off to a wealthy husband? But lately, she seems downright reasonable and even sympathetic. But then there's that entire plot line about how she stole $1 million from her friend? Wow, I really don't want to see more of that dreadful story, but they are going back to it. NOOOO.

I guess that means the one thing I like about DAE-RAN is her consistency. She is consistently despicable, loud, and clownish.

And what's up with MIRIM? Her entire performance is looking uncomfortable at her boyfriend's behavior because his mother might find out they are together. Where is this even leading to?

And lastly... and I don't even know how to express myself here because it's just so ridiculous...

The way ANNA and SC behave. I seriously can't wrap my head around what they are doing as anything but completely weird. I can't figure out why they are SO against her relationship with YG. They keep describing her as "a flower that has not yet bloomed." WTF does that even mean? Are we supposed to interpret their insane behavior as parents who actually love and care about their child? Like, ABUSE=LOVE to them? This entire storyline is just super-weird.

For example, we already know Dae-ran does not care about Se-ryeon's well-being and will sell her off to the highest bidder. So is ANNA/SC the flip side of that coin? Because they are being manipulative and abusive in the same way!

I guess it's up to YG to set things straight. He's probably kept it down for a while because he keeps being accused of cradle-robbing, but looks like he will find out ANNA=JI-YOUNG and go into his special rage mode.

Did anyone think that Sara might try to make a move on YG again because she heard that DD is going to the U.S.? Because she is CRAZY and she just might do that. (I really hope she doesn't. No one wants to see this!)

• Like 6

On 2/15/2022 at 1:22 PM, rolisrntex said:

She's not going anywhere. Once she finds out the truth about her mother who abandoned her and manipulative father, she'll be back home with her "family."

@rolisrntex Let's hope the writers are reading this :D

@chickfactor WOW! Your analysis's on point, I check all the boxes! The characters are so badly written, we don't know really know how to feel about them anymore. I mean, it's normal for people to change their mind since a person's character is not set in stone, but the constant turnaround is dizzying!

• Like 2

More or less every character annoy me in some way either alot or less except DD-YG-Kids-Housekeeper-Chief Kim-Lawyer Friend. I've seen on other places that alot of people are complaining about DD, But it's not like she has much choice in the matter. Without anything really big happening, it's not like she can just ignore her family especially in Asia which alot of places are big on filial piety. Hopefully this secret will be kinda the breaking point for DD to pursue what she wishes, Being with the Kids and YG. So i don't blame DD at all, i think everything is SC and AK fault.

Also i think Lee Sehee is doing a great job as DD, especially being a rookie actress and having her first really major role. Especially since she auditioned for the role of Mirim and managed to be given the role of DD.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Lunkera said:

Without anything really big happening, it's not like she can just ignore her family especially in Asia which alot of places are big on filial piety.

I think this is what bothers western viewers of these dramas who don't have a full grasp of the culture. It took me a while to come to grips with it and I have been married to a Korean for 34 year who grew up there. I don't agree with it but I understand it and even appreciate it to a degree.

• Like 5

@rolisrntex Yeah as a european myself i can't relate to it. But from watching asian dramas for like 10+ years i've tried to watch it through the cultural aspect and not compare korean standards to western standards. So i'm not really bothered with it anymore. But that's the problem with many, they compare it to western standards which is kinda stupid in my opinion since it's a korean drama and it's two completely different cultures with completely different social norms and values...

Anyway, i'm looking forward to saturday and what will happen next after YG and DD finds out about AK. Hopefully by the end of episode 42 DD is back in YG's house with the children.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Lunkera said:

Anyway, i'm looking forward to saturday and what will happen next after YG and DD finds out about AK. Hopefully by the end of episode 42 DD is back in YG's house with the children.

Only Se Chan and Se Jong knew about their father relationship with DD, what's your view about Jae Ni if she finds out her father is in love with DD.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Thong Thin said:

Only Se Chan and Se Jong knew about their father relationship with DD, what's your view about Jae Ni if she finds out her father is in love with DD.

My guess Jae ni will be the next obstacle for the couple. There has to be a reason why she hasn't found out yet.

YS still hasn't found out (I think) for sure that SC had sex with Anna, so that is one secret that still needs to come out. She suspected an inappropriate relationship, but I don't think she knows that SC actually cheated on her. 

On 2/15/2022 at 7:22 AM, rolisrntex said:

Definitely. Plus she is going to be even more hurt when she finds out the entire family knew. 

I don't like SC/Anna's actions (they are toxic/terrible) but I understand why they are against the couple. I think the argument that got to Young-guk the most is what he would do if Jae-ni did the same thing. I remember in the beginning of the drama when he disapproved of Dae-beom/Se-ryun's relationship. There is no way he would have approved of the relationship if he was in SC's position. 

For the other three couples in the show I am not sure where they are going with them. 

Sara/Gun - It seems like they are going backwards. I thought she was letting go and then they had her backslide. I liked them together, but she is terrible by herself. 

Dae-beom/Se-ryun - They look like they might put them together again...however nothing has changed about their situation. Or maybe they won't put them together and after some end of show time jump they will have a run into each open ending. 

Mi-rim/Joon-oh - I love them, but I thought the *** would hit the fan before this. I wonder how long they are going to push the reveal. I think his mom is going to have a big issue with this and YS will be insulted. But hey if YS divorces SC due to AK then they won't be in-laws anymore. 

I just don't know how with only 12 episodes they are going to resolve these issues. They wasted too much time with the amnesia plot and dragging out everything with Sara. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thong Thin said:

She knows already

@Thong Thin People suspect she knows. There is no clarification yet from what i've seen. People been suspecting since YG hide in DD room several episodes back and she saw with the mirror. Also if she doesn't know i don't think she will object long if at all since we all saw how she reacted with DD leaving.

• Like 1

From my pov, she doesn't know.

First, *CSI mode ON* judging by the mirror angle, she couldn't have been able to see something on the ground behind her. She would've have to lift the mirror much higher and tilt her head a little backward *CSI mode OFF* ( yes I know, we are in a kdrama, anything can happen :D )

Second, she looked really confused when Se Chan was trying to tell her that DD had a good reason for leaving the house. I don't think she was acting there.

And lastly, the message she wrote on the kite at the "farewell event": she wished for DD to meet a good man in the US. That would be too sneaky and a low blow if she already knew of YG-DD's relationship/feelings.

• Like 3

I am so appreciative of this thread.   It's been especially awesome seeing the topics and discussions the last few days.   Overall, I'm in full agreement with what's been mentioned so I'll put my 1 1/2 cents worth.

DD is such a fascinating young lady to me.   As she told YG, she's really never had a true independent life up til now.   We're seeing it dramatically play out with SC/AK conspiring to keep her away from YG.   Plus, the life she has lived has been filled with pain and turmoil.  Yet, what has helped to provide a sense of stability, purpose, and love?   YG and the kids!   And this will continue to be true as long as she remains strong in her love for YG.

YG also fascinates me greatly.   We see a widower who, while he loves his children, struggled to relate to them before.   He had many women, including SR, pine over him in hopes of being his 2nd wife.  His mourning over his late wife understandably created a wall with the outside world that fueled a slight misconception of coldness.   Yet, what has helped him not only get over his 1st wife but be willing to start over again in love?   Of course it's DD.   In fact, I truly appreciate how much more vulnerable he's allowed himself to be not just with her but with the kids.   Is it any wonder we truly can't wait to see them all become a true family?   

So, DD and YG, we're know you're listening!   Stay strong in your love for each other and the kids.   Fighting!   With that, here's my song for the week to celebrate this amazing couple!  Enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Love 1