[Drama 2021-2022] The Second Husband, 두번째 남편

Lmangla

47 minutes ago, Jonah Kyle said:

You do realize that there will have to be one more plot twist for the REAL marriage to occur, right? Both having the same mom won't make it legal (at least non-"EWWWW!!"), so now look to JM being someone ELSE'S son.

Yeah the viewers know he is a adopted but they don't know yet.

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

awww, jae min with his puppy dog face and earnest hope that once this revenge is over, they will have a real marriage. the fella is riding out this storm based on that little hope that eventually seon hwa will really accept him. there is definitely going to be hearbreak and separation with lots of angst. 

• Like 5
  • Blob 3

On 11/26/2021 at 5:38 PM, LeftCoastOppa said:

While I liked the latest episode, the drama is starting to stretch the believability  factor a bit - BSH is playing Sharon, but insists on doing her day job at the Bakery where anyone can walk in and see her ... just like it appears SC did ... dumb.

I agree.

Are we going to get those quick changes in the loo kind of things?

Those two criminals must be really stupid for not even suspecting BSH = Sharon? Now that they know, she's not dead. 

@Ameera Ali he is his mother's son. Money money money.

In the Promise, Lee Yu Ri married the half brother of the woman she was getting her revenge for killing her mother. The woman was married to her bio father who did not know she existed. So that made the guy her step uncle. But not really because she was not in her bio father's family register.   Anyway after the revenge - same thing about him asking her to use him- she ended up with him. I did not like that actor. 

So JM is doing the same thing, 'Use me'.  Taking over her twin's place and here BSH is taking another woman's persona. This fake person marries her half brother JM, but not really because he's  adopted. Too similar for me. 

They are going to have a lot of angst when they found out they are siblings of sorts. I hope it's not otoke otoke from BSH.

We may be going otoke otoke if JK is bakery mum's daughter.

• Like 6
  • Blob 2

So JM proposes again, and BSH tells him "yes" but its a fake/contractual marriage only - she can never be with him, she doesn't love him, and that she intends to use him ... Unfortunately our would-be hero agrees to this nonsense.  JM then goes on to ask will she marry him for real after her revenge, and she nods yes ...  

Come On Reaction GIF

I want JM & BSH together, but sorry guys, I'm not liking this - If BSH hadn't been direct/up front with JM about using him, I'd be worried shes starting to go the way of Gemma - stupid revenge decisions (working the bakery) and emotionally abusing those who care about you most.  As for JM, get a grip you fool - you're treading dangerously close to Ki-Seok territory :rolleyes:

• LOL 4
  • Awesome 2

Think High School GIF by Paramount Movies
I have been thinking about JM and him being adopted.  
Always Sunny Reaction GIFSeason 3 GIF by Amazon Prime Video

HR said that she “brought” him for revenge. Like he is not an ordinary adopted kid. She didn’t go through proper protocol to adopt him. He has to have some connection to this hot mess. But how? 
This theory total coming out of left field but what if JM is related to the bakery family. 
Bakery mom said she had a grown daughter who had leukemia who died. Leukemia is a expensive condition to treat. HR made it seem she paid a lot of money to get JM. What if her grown daughter was pregnant and didn’t tell her.  
If the time frame fits. Bakery mom daughter was stolen, her husband died. Then her daughter has leukemia. But to be pregnant on top of that that’s a lot to handle. Bakery mom was under a lot of stress so she could of kept it to herself. 

So what if HR paid for grown daughter’s treatment for JM. HR pretended she was pregnant and took the baby as her own. 
But what would make JM so important to her revenge. Sure him being adopted(not blood) and taking over the company would hurt. But HR is about pain she wants to make the chairman suffer. 
mad scientist explosion GIF

What if the grown daughter was the child of his first wife. He was married first and abandoned his first wife and kid for HR. The perfect revenge. To give your company over to the family you abandon and left behind. Once the truth is out your blood turns their back on you. The worst thing for a parent is to have your kid abandoned you and treat you like you don’t exist. 

It is a thought. I am missing a lot but there it is. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 2

Am  I the only one thinking that JM is the son of Mr Ppae? They are the most logical father and son right now unless they're going to introduce another person to to play his family... besides they like both likes to sing too and he's drawn to Hanok Bakery family... then JK and JM would still be related as cousins

• Like 5
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

5 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

So JM proposes again, and BSH tells him "yes" but its a fake/contractual marriage only - she can never be with him, she doesn't love him, and that she intends to use him ... Unfortunately our would-be hero agrees to this nonsense.  JM then goes on to ask will she marry him for real after her revenge, and she nods yes ...  

I want JM & BSH together, but sorry guys, I'm not liking this - If BSH hadn't been direct/up front with JM about using him, I'd be worried shes starting to go the way of Gemma - stupid revenge decisions (working the bakery) and emotionally abusing those who care about you most.  As for JM, get a grip you fool - you're treading dangerously close to Ki-Seok territory :rolleyes:

jae min is definitely not ki seok! hahahhaha.... so would agree that this whole 'use me' trope is central to revenge genre. it is funny because am watching an oldie romance "greatest love" where the male lead is flipping out that the female lead might have used him for his connections and he chewed her brains out very nastily. so who would want to be used right? but somehow these guys in revenge genre are so nice... hahahah...

that said, see this fake/contractual marriage different. seon hwa is upfront about where stands -- she didn't want a relationship with jae min because of jae kyung. no where does she indicate that she doesn't feel the same vibes as him. her problem was that he belonged to the cookie family. for him, he now has teeth in the game. earlier, it was more about helping seon hwa. now that jae kyung has jumped to pre-meditated murder, he has realized that he has a criminal in the family. he also overheard her and sang hyuk talking about kicking him out of the company. he has realized that jae kyung as a sibling will not hestitate to do anything to acquire the company. so if he has to protect the company and fulfill cookie mom's dream of taking over, then he has to expose jae kyung. it is not just about ethics and morality but also business. his position is also at stake as long as jae kyung is there in the family.

so rather than seon hwa just using him, he is in the midst of it directing her steps and creating the path for her. he isn't a passive partner like in most revenge genres. he is literally funding this revenge scheme, planning the timing of the revenge moments and even trained seon hwa on basic business models so she can act the part of the savvy investor. so he is very much an active member of her revenge team. also unlike most revenge dramas, this team really does collaborate, bounce off ideas and share concerns. seon hwa isn't some master revenge queen coming up with these moves. even bakery mom offers emotional support but also asks the right questions to check. 

seon hwa is making it clear that while jae min and her are revenge buddy team, she cannot be with him like in a real marriage because she doesn't have time for emotions and to play nice. she can't afford to feel bad about hurting his family members if she has to enter the lion's den. in order for the revenge scheme to work, she has to keep a distance from him. however once their revenge scheme is done and jae kyung is no longer related to him, she is willing to consider the possibility of being together depending on how things go. found it a good twist on the old 'use me' trope and think it will make for some interesting scenes 

• Like 6
  • Awesome 3
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 2

29 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

she has to keep a distance from him. however once their revenge scheme is done and jae kyung is no longer related to him, she is willing to consider the possibility of being together depending on how things go.

Thats precisely what is complete and utter BS - WE KNOW he's not related to JK - THEY DO NOT KNOW (yet) so thats no basis to enter into this

For BSH to tell JM I can never marry you to then nod yes when asked if she will when her revenge is over, NOT KNOWING any of the secret bloodlines, was crap in my opinion.  JM has already proven invaluable to her revenge before asking for marriage again - I'd have preferred he take her rejection of his REAL feelings, and reject her fake marriage offer - continue to help her by all means, but that whole exchange was just wrong - JM may not be Ki-Seok yet, but he needs to start standing his ground.  ... its all going to blow up in their faces anyways, but still its annoying :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Awesome 4

2 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

I'd have preferred he take her rejection of his REAL feelings, and reject her fake marriage offer - continue to help her by all means, but that whole exchange was just wrong -

I think the drama is fooling us a bit out there (very cleverly, actually) which may be why you feel this way.   I felt the same too at first.  I thought it was about JM's marriage proposal, until things changed when the episode and preview ended with the hint that Sharon might become JM's girlfriend and could be marrying JM soon.  

So I went back and watched the conversation very carefully once more.  Now I think I got fooled in that whole exchange where I was also getting a little annoyed at SH, and felt bad for JM.

The whole "proposal" that SH was talking about was JM's plan for Sharon.  He is the one who masterminded this whole Sharon scam, and he had asked SH to play a wife role too.  So SH was talking only about the contract marriage role play as Sharon.  She was answering that proposal.  Now, he had already proposed for a proper marriage with SH too, and is waiting for an answer.   But he knew she wasn't talking about that proposal, the way she started talking -- "If it is to get revenge on JK, it doesn't have to be the JM of Daekook family, I can get married to even a drug addict womanizer"... She was speaking of the "role play proposal". 

All she was clarifying was that she will not be living as wife while playing the role of a wife.  She said, "I will be using you. You proposed this marriage, you know".  That line was so jarring and cold-hearted at first, but once i saw that she was talking about JM's plan of a "Sharon as wife" role, that second sentence made a lot of sense.  It explained JM's casual reaction too -  "sure, I want it that way". 

She then conveyed her discomfort and guilty feeling, as she still hasn't said yes to a real marriage, by saying "I will not be marrying you because I love you, but I will be using you, as I need to"...  Then she said, "I can play the role as your wife, but cannot be your wife. You know what I mean, right?"... (She used the specific word "role" there)

From a woman's standpoint, she wanted to make things clear, so JM won't have any confusion  (she won't be sleeping with him just yet, basically! :))... She finished with, "It's only a contract marriage. Once this revenge is done, this marriage is over too".  He had an unperturbed look, showing he understood exactly what it is.  It is his plan!... 

That is why he asked with a pleasant look, "once this is over, we can get married, right?", and you can see that SH's face changed completely and she teared up while nodding like it is a yes.  Because that is about the real thing.  The actual SH-JM marriage proposal.  She wants to say yes but knows she cannot, yet.  They both know that will have to wait till the revenge plan is completed.  That is all.

Basically JM understands what she is saying.   That she wants to go through giving a proper answer to his proper proposal and get a proper wedding after the revenge, with a proper honeymoon and all that.  She doesn't want the current Sharon wedding to morph into a marriage to JM yet.  That's about it.

Just my guess.  Who knows what this writer could be thinking?

• Like 12
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

15 hours ago, jayakris said:

about that proposal, the way she started talking -- "If it is to get revenge on JK, it doesn't have to be the JM of Daekook family, I can get married to even a drug addict womanizer"... She was speaking of the "role play proposal". 

I don't think so. When BSH first ran into JM, she thought he was a lecherous guy, a gigolo and some other unadmirable character. So I think she's referring to this time.

The translation says she would 'seduce'..... I grew up on Western entertainment. The word 'seduce' always brings censored images.

What does it mean here? In 'Red shoes', they say Gemma seduced HS. And I thought, when when? I missed that? :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Blob 1

6 hours ago, maribella said:
21 hours ago, jayakris said:

about that proposal, the way she started talking -- "If it is to get revenge on JK, it doesn't have to be the JM of Daekook family, I can get married to even a drug addict womanizer"... She was speaking of the "role play proposal". 

I don't think so. When BSH first ran into JM, she thought he was a lecherous guy, a gigolo and some other unadmirable character. So I think she's referring to this time.

It is possible.  I was giving the other possibility that it could all mean something entirely different.

I had combined multiple sentences from my memory into a combined translation there (actually she said "drug dealer", and not "drug user", as I notice when I check the scene once more)...  My point is that I felt differently once the possibility of a contract marriage in the Sharon role came up by the end of the episode.  That means the drama could've been trying to fool us, or keep us off-balance and hooked to it with that curious lake-side conversation.  If so, it is not clear that she is referring to the "real marriage" proposal or to a "Sharon marriage plan" from JM.  The latter is also possible.   Can't say what this very clever writer is doing.

I don't think JM would think SH was saying that she was seducing him all along, and that she would be using him.  He knows fully well that she has not tried to entice or seduce him one bit so far.  She has only resisted it.  Not a thing that he can remember as an attempt to make him love her.

In my opinion, here is what she was conveying - "Don't think I am doing this role out of my love for you. That is a separate issue, that I have pushed out of my mind for now. I don't want that to come in the way of executing this determined plan.  I can't even allow myself to think of my deeper true feelings for you during this Sharon period.  That all will have to wait.  And to be clear, this is for ME, not you, and I will be using you -- even if it is your plan.  This is something I myself would've done anyway.  I am that ruthless now"

By the way, the subs I saw was careless on one important line.  The subs said "You were the one who asked to get married first".  That is not what she said.  It was, "It is you who first suggested this marriage, you know".   In fact the line starts with a "THIS marriage..." with a pregnant pause, so it could be the fake marriage she is talking about.  She used the word 제안 (je-ahn = put forth, suggest, propose) there, which is often used to refer to a plan.  So to say "ask to get married" was careless subbing.  In the normal circumstances, the subs would be perfectly fine, but here, in Korean, the writer has left wiggle-room to take it in a second direction later!

Maybe we are splitting hairs.  Maybe the drama just wanted to create some angst amongst the viewers and that's all!... We may never know what the writer meant with this passage.  They may not go back and explain it.  But if the story does go to a Sharon-JM marriage, and we see that JM had made that plan, then this passage will mean totally differently.  If not, it will be some really cold and heartless treatment of JM by SH, like I felt at first.  It was jarring.

6 hours ago, maribella said:

The translation says she would 'seduce'..... I grew up on Western entertainment. The word 'seduce' always brings censored images.

She used the word 유혹하다 (yuhokhada = to entice, to seduce).  When I used to sub dramas, I typically tried not to translate that word to "seduce" for the same reason you mention.  "Seduce" is used only very rarely and only for very specific type of "censored" actions in English (or in contexts were that meaning clearly would not be relevant), but 유혹하다 is a much more freely used word in Korean.  My understanding is that it is pretty much "entice" or more closely "endear oneself" in Korean, and becomes "seduce" only in some specific contexts.  Native Korean speakers, please correct me on this if I am wrong!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jayakris said:

But if the story does go to a Sharon-JM marriage, and we see that JM had made that plan, then this passage will mean totally differently.  If not, it will be some really cold and heartless treatment of JM by SH, like I felt at first.  It was jarring.

So after today's episode 72, it seems my suspicion was right.  Sharon marrying JM was the plan all along, and it was JM's plan. The bakery oppa clearly said that to SH when the guys sat her down way back and told her the whole plan.  I didn't know this when I saw the SH-JM lakeside conversation in the last episode and got peeved at SH's attitude at first.  Now it seems clear to me that it was the fake-marriage proposal that SH was talking about when she said "this marriage was first suggested by you, you know".  It wasn't her plan to use him, and she was only responding to JM's idea.  She was making it clear to him that it was still nothing but her "using him" nonetheless, no matter how he thought about it.  The subs totally missed the mark when it paraphrased SH's line as "you asked to get married first", like I was mentioning above.  Can't blame the subbers, who also didn't know that a twist was coming. 

Gosh, this drama is tremendous. Twists keep coming one after another so fast!  Now, the next thing starts.  A brand-new shady-looking woman surfaces at the end of ep 72, to start the story about how HR brought JM in and fooled the chairman into thinking that JM was his son (quite probably).

• Like 7
  • Blob 1

The slave is following HR.  From now on, I think the story will be about HR trying to find SH but also having to prevent the JM birth story from coming out.  But the slave and JK will be right behind her, trying to catch her and bring out the JM story.  That will be their trump card to try to wiggle out once JM and SH tie them in knots on the JTown plan and the murder evidence. 

I hope the JM story comes out first, before HR finds SH to be her daughter (that is, a win for JK and the slave first).  That way we can avoid pain for SH and JM from hearing that they may be brother-sister.  I don't want to see that confusion!  But I am sure they will have us go through it.  Hopefully it will be a short period of only an episode or two.

• Like 7