[Drama 2021] Red Shoes, 빨강 구두

Lmangla

14 hours ago, Lmangla said:

so he is unable to open his mouth because he would have to accept that the woman he fell in love with is a horrible selfish vindicative petty person who is self-obsessed about her own pain and does not care for anyone else. that her love for him was shallow. the moment he opens his mouth, he would have to accept that gemma does not want to reveal the truth because this way, she gets a kick out of destroying hee kyung and co. 

Is that also what happened with his first wife? He does not want to look the truth about the women he falls in love with, it makes him immobile to save his pride? His first reaction to be in denial is understandable but there comes a time when he needs to see the "truth" and ask himself why he repeats the same thing. It takes two to tango.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, lila21 said:

Is that also what happened with his first wife? He does not want to look the truth about the women he falls in love with, it makes him immobile to save his pride? His first reaction to be in denial is understandable but there comes a time when he needs to see the "truth" and ask himself why he repeats the same thing. It takes two to tango.

yes, possibly (I skipped those episodes and so didn't follow that arc). but to add to pride, my impression is that it is a combination of several things happening. so I get why people think ki seok is super passive but it is more than that. 

1. he is a beta type character emotionally; in the family dynamic, we have loan grandma who is very agressive and dominating and hyun seok the wild card. so he is the glue that keeps this family threaded together. he is the quiet one who is keeping the peace, the rhythm. it does not mean he does not speak up because he did on on several occasions but he is not the type to attack immediately. 

2. now he may be beta but it doesn't mean he is not sharp or he sees things or he cannot speak. so people see hyun seok as a good match for gemma because he is very outgoing and outspoken however, he does not see the real gemma. ki seok did. in my view, that is why the writer is pushing this love line over hyun seok which would be more typical.

in the beginning, ki seok was very agressive with her but as he got to know her, he peeled the onion layer by layer. gemma is not the type of personality to open her wounds to just anyone or cry on their shoulder unless she is really close to them. he has her heart even if she is determined to stomp on it at the moment...

so he is more aware of how fragile and broken gemma is. in many ways, ki seok is stuck. it is like a sober partner watching their spouse derail into addiction and they have no clue how to help. gemma is addicted to her revenge in that sense and she is increasingly becoming illogical and superbly destructive to herself as well as those around her. so he is stuck not knowing how to deal with the situation like many families in the first few stages of watching their loved ones drown in addiction. he is keeping the secret hoping it can be resolved before it blows up. much like many families do before they realize how bad the addiction has gotten.... . 

3. yes, like I mentioned earlier, the moment he opens his mouth, it will confirm that gemma is no longer the woman he loved and that the sweetness and love has vanished. in its place, there is a cold cynical self-obsessed selfish vindictive petty personality who cares only for herself. part of him is unable to face the changes and cannot believe the woman he loved has changed so much. where is that woman he fell in love with? the moment he opens his mouth, he will have to face she has gone. 

6 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

Do we know yet what drama is after this one?.

we have 40ish more episodes to go; so usually with KBS, we get to know around ep 80 or more about the next drama. 

• Like 6

gemma is so annoying with her tears. are we supposed to feel sorry for her that she feels so conflicted about playing, using two men for her own revenge? are we supposed to be like stupid coffee mom telling her "you did well" at destroying a family who is unrelated to her revenge? when her stupid revenge can get over in a few minutes if she just reveals the truth? 

Over It Eye Roll GIF by Friends  

where is this mysterious stepson? at this stage, he is the one who has more right to revenge. his mother was killed by his stepmom (hee kyung admitted it in this episode), his stepfather was aware and didn't say anything, he was sent away to a foreign country and his stepmom is trying to take the entire company for herself -- the company which was built on his mother's money. so why don't we see him? gemma is such a bore. 

can see why hye bin was drawn to hyun seok. he is as naive and idiotic as her. he is already building castles in the air about his future with gemma. even when she stays silent on the phone for long pauses and says nothing, he is trying to convince himself that they are going to have a great life together. and that it is fine even if he hurt his brother. ummm, you are just as bad as hye bin. no wonder she likes you. 

am enjoying the cheesy romance between tae gil and aunt. only bright spot in this drama. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

yes, like I mentioned earlier, the moment he opens his mouth, it will confirm that gemma is no longer the woman he loved and that the sweetness and love has vanished. in its place, there is a cold cynical self-obsessed selfish vindictive petty personality who cares only for herself. part of him is unable to face the changes and cannot believe the woman he loved has changed so much. where is that woman he fell in love with?

whatever Gemma is, it is his call. He knew from the very start that Gemma was desperately on this revenge trip to hell with HK. He also was a witness of how HK tried to kill Gemma then frame her for murder of a dead body. He also has seen interactions of his brother with Gemma such as seeing pictures of Gemma on his brother's dresser in his bedroom and on his phone, HS has displayed many times his interest in Gemma such as HS during the outing to the Kwon villa saying that Gemma and him will work together in their own design company and leave Lora. KS kept quiet and even in the worse time where he needed to open his mouth because he does not want to believe that he made a bad judgement, his pride? Everyone does, see Gemma for who she is, a woman desperately needing some help or the wicked witch of the east but do something about it, tell grandma the truth, but there is a long road ahead....

And speaking of the Kwons!!!

Mrs Kwon to Mr Kwon: you killed my first husband

Mr Kwon answers: you agreed because you wanted me to make you the head of Lora, where can you find a better husband than myself eh???

Mr Kwon to Mrs Kwon: you killed my first wife because you wanted to take her place

Mrs Kwon yells back hysterically: what wife are you talking about. I am your wife, I am your wife, I am your wife!!!

tsk, tsk, tsk, we should name them: The Couple Killers

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

59 minutes ago, lila21 said:

And speaking of the Kwons!!!

they are actually well paired in matching levels of dysfunction, selfishness, ambition and possessiveness. :lol:

59 minutes ago, lila21 said:

Everyone does, see Gemma for who she is, a woman desperately needing some help or the wicked witch of the east but do something about it, tell grandma the truth, but there is a long road ahead....

my impression is that the moment he tells grandma the true story, she will cut out gemma. grandma isn't the sort to stick her neck out. she will call it as bad decision making and cut her losses. she is that type. but yea, am not saying ki seok keeping his mouth shut is the best call but can see the mechanics of why he is sort of stuck. basically he has to accept that perhaps the best way to help gemma is to tell the truth and then let the pieces fall where they will fall including losing her for good.

• Like 4

That was so stupid of Gemma and so inconsiderate of uncle Taegil. Uncle knelt to her to apologize and now as part of apology and hope of reconciliation with Gemma, he gives her a USB recording of uncle's blackmailing Kwon for money to keep quiet about the hit and run and Gemma sends the recording to Kwon. What did she think will happen that Kwon would quake in fear? He just got uncle in big trouble and now the means to find Jin A/Gemma. He will just have to follow the footsteps of uncle Taegil, find out where he lives. Ughhhhh, hasn't she learned anything????

• Like 2

@backstreetboysfan @Lmangla

Actually, on September 29, they did announce the name of the next drama replacing 'Red Shoes', along with the casting.

The title of the drama is '사랑의 꽈배기'. The literal translation of the title could be 'Twists of Love' or 'Love Twist'. Although 꽈배기 is the twisted doughnut pastry, so I'm not sure what exactly the English title will be lol.

The casting that's has been announced for the drama so far include: Ham Eun Jung, Shim Hye Jin, Kim Jin Yeop, Son Sung Yoon, Jang Se Hyun, etc. You can find more of the announced cast on the Korean Wikipedia page for the drama.

They had the first script reading on October 8th, so they're filming it now. That's all the info so far.

Also, a bit of side info, but I think 'Red Shoes' may have been extended by 2 episodes to 102 episodes? I can't find any articles in Korean on it, but the Korean Wikipedia and NamuWiki page on the drama now list it as 102 episodes.

• Thanks 5

thanks @Ayame; I usually wait for the kbs world promos and that comes out towards the tail end of a drama airing. will keep an eye out. 

if am right, think this is the drama that has the actress who played dabal in 'be my dream family' as one of the leads

• Like 3

19 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

Do we know yet what drama is after this one?.

Twist of love (in Korean 사랑의 꽈배기)

https://m.hankookilbo.com/News/Read/A2021092912180000409

Sorry, didn't see @Ayame post above :)

I watch sometimes. Really I don't quite approve of Gemma's revenge. She broke her BF's heart, took her sister's fiance. I know both her mother and sister tried to kill her, also her mother is really greedy and evil but still.....

• Like 3
  • Blob 3

6 hours ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

Really I don't quite approve of Gemma's revenge. She broke her BF's heart, took her sister's fiance. I know both her mother and sister tried to kill her, also her mother is really greedy and evil but still.....

One thing I have learned during recent times, when faced with an adversary or enemy (HK/HB & KHS) that does not value you (Gemma) and view you as beneath their level there is no negotiating or appeasing them (Europe learned this lesson during WWII). They don't see you as someone worthy of making peace with and they are bent on your destruction. The only recourse is to defeat and humiliate them. Bring them to their knees and humble them. Folks may not approve of Gemma's tactics but there is always collateral damage in war and Gemma is waging war. During war you use every tactic and scheme available to you to defeat your enemy. Only when such an enemy is totally crushed and humbled do they come to the negotiating table and the settlement terms are never in their favor. This is just a fact of human nature. True it is ugly but war in itself is ugly.

Edited by rolisrntex
clarity
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

The way Gemma has become a ruthless and unscrupulous lead makes me think that she will go mad or to prison. I cannot see how she can be redeemed after causing a rift between the brothers. Her coffee family have gathered around her yet she recklessly implicated Uncle, but for what purpose? 

I am always looking forward to a good revenge. But having spooked Mr Kwon, what did she expect him to do? What is her plan? To take everything that HK has, but how? Taking HS from HB, ok. Showing her JH's old room? I really don't see plan. 

• Like 1

Long time lurker here and today I felt the urge to share my views on the drama!

Firstly, I disagree that HK did nothing wrong.  Yes, she ran away from an abusive husband.   When I watched that scene, I thought it was sad that she ran away and left her kids behind without knowing that her husband died.  And yet it became apparent in the next or next two episodes that she knew that her husband died.  But she didn't go back to look for her kids!  She did ask Kwon and he said they made an agreement that she would leave the children behind.  In exchange he promised to give her wealth, build her a company etc.  She rejected her dying son's plea to see her for one last time.  When she found out who Gemma was, she tried to kill her!

So too her daughter tried to kill Gemma.  Yet someone mentioned Gemma stole her "sister's" fiancée.  Sorry, I LOL at that.  The "sister" thought nothing of trying to steal her life!  What's a fiancée to a life! 

Someone else said that maybe Gemma is Kwon's daughter and HB is the daughter of the abusive husband.  That would be an interesting plot but it would also make HK more despicable than ever.  It would mean she never loved Kwon.  She could have said Jina is your daughter and that would have made him change his mind.  The way she went on and on about HB to Gemma if that was true would be doubly nauseating.

Was Gemma raised in a loving supportive home?  blood money was used to save that insipid boy.  the uncle ran off with the rest of the money.  We are told over and over that young Jina made countless sacrifices to put her brother through med school.  Seems like Jina is the one who raised and took care of her brother.

I think nothing happened with HS and I think HS knows it.  From the start, he would in his laid back, carefree way protect and help Gemma.  and I think that is what he is continuing to do.  I recall a conversation with his brother when he said his life would be hell married to HB with a MIL like HK.  Brother said don't he dare break off the engagement or that would kill Granny.  So much for loving brother support!

Of course, I don't agree with what Gemma did and I have stopped feeling sorry for her.  But not to the extent that I think that HK has never done anything wrong.  Or waste any sympathy on her.

I believe when Granny finds out who Gemma's Dad is, Granny will blame herself for the situation.  and knowing HK, she too will put all the blame on Granny for Gemma's Dad abuse that made her run away and start the whole darn thing. 

I don't know why the revenge drama ends with people going to prison, dying or going mad.  Wouldn't the best revenge be to live a happy, fulfilling life and knowing that what those people do can't bring you down.  If you bring yourself to hell\madness, what revenge is that?  

Edited by mzz
  • Like 3
  • Blob 4

So anyone else see the crack in HK's resolve when the Chairman said he'd take care of Gemma?  Why do I get the sneaking suspicion HK will be the one to save Gemma from the Chairman next time :rolleyes: 

Now that KS has told HS about Gemma and her revenge, HS should have this all wrapped up in about 2 episodes

Not saying Hye-Bins crazy, but she's about 1 buckle short of a straight jacket - perhaps a new poll? Who will be the next to die?

• Like 4
  • Awesome 2