[Drama 2022] Alchemy Of Souls: Light and Shadow ✴ 반환

Maetawinz

If I can name ONE thing this drama did excellently is this: they make mean previews lol.

I feel like i spend the entire episode waiting for something that we did not already know. My only takeaway from this episode came from jin choyeon, that the jin family powers allow them to be able to suppress another mage's power(?). And the existence of Seo Yul family lanterns, i find those very sweet. The random mention about the fire priestess and the fact that shaman choi literally jumped into the fire to escape the authority was too weird to be a coincidence though.

I have a weird hunch that shaman choi could also has something to do with the fact that naksu's dad died as a soul shifter.

Lol at janguk panicking when mudeok demands him to make a commitment. I think it's better this way though. The fact that he'd wait until she regains her powers back means they would be on a level ground, nobody is having the upper hand, and nobody being there just because they have no other choice. And we as a viewer would not be confused anymore as to whose soul/body/entity he'd ended up with.

Another tidbit that i like was that the prince was skeptical when listening to jin mu propaganda about the king's star prophecy, but did not hesitate one bit when janguk asked him to keep their investigation as a secret. I hope, seeing his son being all chummy with the prince would make jang gang realized that he would not be a threat to the monarchy. Sir, your son is too busy keeping his master alive, he has no time and nor interest to lead some coup d'etat. Now he better come back, at least he has to clean his late wife's reputation, dammit!

1 hour ago, Rollito Deprimavera said:

why would she fight with Uk? shouldn't he take her side if she's discovered and attacked? Because she's not planning on attacking anyone first, does she?

I think, janguk just does not want her to back being naksu the assasin again. He wants her to regain her power back, but wishes for her not to kill anyone anymore. I mean, Master Lee basically gave him an ultimatum that he'd leave them alone as long as she won't be a threat. Hence, if in the future, for whatever reason naksu were having thoughts about killing anyone, janguk was putting himself somewhat as a shield in a 'i'd rather you kill me (a person who loves you and whom you love), than anyone else' kinda situation? 

• Like 5

Here is the ratings for episode 16! :).

Finally, tvN’s “Alchemy of Souls” rose to an average nationwide rating of 7.5 percent, falling just short of its previous all-time high of 7.6 percent from last week. The fantasy romance drama also remained first place in its time slot across all cable channels among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it scored a nationwide average of 4.0 percent.

“It’s Beautiful Now” And “The Good Detective 2” Achieve Their Highest Ratings Yet | Soompi

• Like 3

6 hours ago, partyon said:

Especially when you see how handsome ahjussi oppa really is

his glorious days will be back.. just, when?

6 hours ago, frozentundra said:

did I understand right that Jin Mu wants to send Shaman Choi's soul into Soyi's body

this Jin Mu has too many despicable plans going on.. i hope, he ended up being energy sucked by a wild soul shifter or something..

Angry Bruce Lee GIF

5 hours ago, maribella said:

But I would like to know who's shifting who or where. There is even a doggie soul shifter, I read. Well, I'll be.

the queen is a soul shifter.. and so are some of those court ladies and eunuchs.

i wouldn't say Salsapi (gwigu) is a soul shifter too.. since most of the relics and artefacts in Jinyowon are created from the Ice Stone.. the "dark force" merely got summoned out from the relic to reside into a dead dog body..

to differentiate between the original hwansu skill (through mastery) and dark soul ejectors, the first one is capable of having the soul leave the body, and then reside into something dead, reliving it.. the latter is leveraging on the dark sorcery made from ice stone and being a forceful exchange of souls with someone alive (thus the dark smoke that emits from the soul ejector and shoots up to the skies)

not sure about hwansu but i'm quite sure those would not have a blue mark.

5 hours ago, maribella said:

The king has an excuse, he drove off the highway and got cremated. Jang Gang probably got the director miffed

Spoiler

i think the director got angry with the king in Eve.. lol

just like @confusedheart chingu at him with only 1 expression throughout the drama hahahaha

as for Jang Gang, the director is out to annoy @partyon.. ok i'm joking!

Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

4 hours ago, Jeannie said:

Maybe someone told her Uk is injured or died

it could be the play of sequence in previews, i think she thought Jang Uk might have been in grave danger with the wild soul shifter having fed on someone..

@SleepyKitty agree on this..

he preview could have been ep18 too.. since they have a habit of releasing scenes from both episodes leaving us all screaming in anger at cliffhangers lol

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 1

50 minutes ago, sadthe1st said:
5 hours ago, Jeannie said:

Maybe someone told her Uk is injured or died

it could be the play of sequence in previews, i think she thought Jang Uk might have been in grave danger with the wild soul shifter having fed on someone..

It has to be more than that - Mu Deok/Naksu wasn't able to draw the sword after leaving the lake, yet in the preview she seems to be indoors with tears running down her face as she easily draws the sword and we get the cryptic line ... Jang Uk my pupil ...

My guess is Jang Uk is either been gravely injured or believed dead, and however that information has been relayed to Mu Deok either hearing or seeing, it has also been received by the spirit within Bu Yeon ... who by appearances seems to have at least a liking of Jang Uk ...

Tumblr

I believe the Jin heir has/will release/unbind Naksu's energy and finally heads are going to roll.   And what a way to make an entrance - with Songrim mages dropping left and right to the soulshifter former master, a maid steps in and lays her signature Tansu smack down

Alchemy of Souls: Eps 3 & 4 Open Thread – Bitches Over Dramas

Kinda hard to take issue with a maid/assassin if she just saved everyone ...  Its gonna be glorious!

(BTW - that isn't Yul being drained in the preview - slow it down, its the creepy longhaired mage)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, sadthe1st said:

wouldn't say Salsapi (gwigu) is a soul shifter too.. since most of the relics and artefacts in Jinyowon are created from the Ice Stone.. the "dark force" merely got

And that means the soul within Mu Deok was from the relic? Naksu is not a nasty, say, occupier? Just a co inhabiter of a dead foetus?

The body will crumble at any time. 
That is quite an amazing concept. 

Oh My God Wow GIF by Acorn TV

Thank you @sadthe1st  :thumbsup:  And perhaps @partyon et al can create a new poll.

"Which show has the best one-expression character?"

I vote for the cheat in VIP.  The King in Eve could not beat him.

• LOL 2

41 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

its the creepy longhaired mage

u know creepy is a sensitive word.. especially when you have @partyon chingu on you with that drama..

No Way Lol GIF by CBeebies HQ

24 minutes ago, maribella said:

And that means the soul within Mu Deok was from the relic? Naksu is not a nasty, say, occupier? Just a co inhabiter of a dead foetus?

no idea on this.. we only know that mother jin went to plead jang gang to use ice stone help with her baby that might have been a still birth inside for what.. 13mths? or maybe, she is a supernatural baby..

teacher lee told park jin before that some took years for them to learn and master certain skills but to some, they have it from birth.. that could have referred not just jang uk with his king star.. but also bu yeon with her super energy force..

46 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

and finally heads are going to roll.

save jin mu's head for naksu.. it has gotta be from her blade with the head rolling..

beheading episode 11 GIF

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

2 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

this Jin Mu has too many despicable plans going on.. i hope, he ended up being energy sucked by a wild soul shifter or something..

At this point we're going to need some cheat sheet to keep up with the timelines, soul shifters, everyone's past grudge, and everyone's motivation, it's getting all over the place!

41 minutes ago, maribella said:

Lol when you put it that way it sounds way too gory than it looks like :sweatingbullets:

The way I understand it, the ice stone is, supposedly, an essence of the magical power that manifested into a physical object. From what we gather so far, it can assist mages to do powerful spells or sorcery that needs high level of energy/skill (basically a cheat code). It can shift souls, heals, even bring people back from the dead (there was a specific mention of it during the episode when the soul shifter was being taken to sejukwon, i think park jin said it). In fact, there is no extent that we know (so far) that the ice stone can not do. So yeah, it is very possible that the soul inside baby bu yeon IS actually bu yeon herself, brought back from death.

As it was kind of a cheat code, there should be a catch, a price to pay. They've mentioned the gap of energy that can be detected by gwigu. In case of bu yeon, it could be her blindness. But please do correct me if i'm wrong.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

It has to be more than that - Mu Deok/Naksu wasn't able to draw the sword after leaving the lake, yet in the preview she seems to be indoors with tears running down her face as she easily draws the sword and we get the cryptic line ... Jang Uk my pupil ...

My guess is Jang Uk is either been gravely injured or believed dead, and however that information has been relayed to Mu Deok either hearing or seeing, it has also been received by the spirit within Bu Yeon ... who by appearances seems to have at least a liking of Jang Uk ...

I believe the Jin heir has/will release/unbind Naksu's energy and finally heads are going to roll.   And what a way to make an entrance - with Songrim mages dropping left and right to the soulshifter former master, a maid steps in and lays her signature Tansu smack down

Kinda hard to take issue with a maid/assassin if she just saved everyone ...  Its gonna be glorious!

(BTW - that isn't Yul being drained in the preview - slow it down, its the creepy longhaired mage)

i thought the same that buyeon decided to unleash nasku’s skills and power in order to save jang uk. I think jang uK was most likely injured. 

i think the reason buyeon bind Nasku’s power is due to protect Jang uk from the beginning. You know at beginning that nasku was nuts about killing anyone who attacked her including jang uk. She wants to go after park jin badly. It is better that her powers were binded by buyeon. I think naksu with no powers also makes her stronger in will, learn the truth in more realistic sense, and gain more respect for herself and even others. She still wants to attack park jin. So the binding powers forced her to learn the situation and truth. And also she brings her other best skills and empathy that makes her grow even bigger than being assassin and mage. To have moral ground jin mu destroyed or took away from her, she is learning to get back what she lost. It is so much more. I believe jin buyeon releases nasku’s power when jang uk is in danger. Naksu is like a teacher and buyeon takes care of everything else including saving Jang uk in soul shifting world. I think I am getting to the point that buyeon has been training Jang uk in more passive way. She and naksu together are his great masters. 

nasku getting her energy back may be the reason buyeon know jang Uk is in danger but also naksu has already wanted to protect and keep jang uk alive. even people around her that she no longer becomes a threat to them especially jang uk. Park jin needs work. Naksu when she got the sword, she was just analysing everything had done for her and continuing her revenge. And jang uK left Naksu a strange message which master Lee warned him about, it also changes nasku or she will find out her redemption through the cryptic message. 

buyeon not only had power of mage of jin priestess, and also has power of Hwansu. She is one great priestess. The reason for hiding is because of her possession of ice stone that kept her alive. And her job is to connect with Jang uk to save daeho. 

it does feel like buyeon is protecting and training nasku beyond her powers and life as an assassin. And also protect and teach jang uk. Buyeon is also very interesting as nasku. Hope we will see more of her soon. And also I am guessing that buyeon and nasku are separate souls with same destines. Best to see buyeon before we transit to nasku in season 2. It would be nice to see somin to return in season 2 as buyeon, and go yun jung as nasku. Two powerful heroine in daeho. 

nasku is now dealing with her demons of her last memories as an assassin, and also her father’s death. Jang gang is only person who can give her redemption and truth about her father. can’t wait for her to show off her skills!!!! ‘Jang uk,my pupil!’ These are very strong and emotional of mudeok (both nasku and buyeon really cares about jang uk). I think buyeon also contributed Naksu’s growth and bringing her home. 

i am wondering if naksu know definitely that mudeok is buyeon. But still did not know she has ice stone inside. Just the fact she is jin priestess who can get and trap the soul in her body and bind the powers. I think the part Naksu pulled the sword without lake energy comes from buyeon. I think nasku will experience hwansu with buyeon’s help.

Jang Uk, I believe is to  face another danger: death and resurrection or overcome it to gain the magic of hwansu in his body. That is probably his last mission and key to gain all powers to meet his destiny. That is my guess. Jang uk is becoming more powerful. The closer buyeon May reveal soon. Nasku to gain her powers and will. 

i think Jin ho yeong did suspect that mudeok may be the real one. I think one of reason she didn’t try to second guess or share with jin mu and her Husband is because she knows buyeon is a very dangerous person to handle. So looking afar, she saw mudeok again. I think she was confirmed that mudeok is real jin buyeon. But she decided to hug the fake one to do bluffing to protect the real jin buyeon, and keep her secret. Jin mu and the choi family is also after her. 

Edited by Tina288

21 minutes ago, maribella said:

I thought I'd worked out the puzzle. Back to the drawing.

hahahaha don't worry.. every mystery will be unfolded eventually..

that's if the writers remember the 1001 mysteries casted into the drama so randomly..

or at least, we should get 800+ solved and a whole list of 200+ dangling after the ending..

Shocked Not Safe For Work GIF

Mask GIF

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

It was mentioned last night that Jin clan possesses divine powers, just like a powerful priestess, it can control people’s souls and trap them to be helpless. 
Because Mu Deok aka Bu yeon is one person, her sensory ability acted on the time of souls swapping between Naksu and the tavern staff, she drawn Naksu’s soul into her. She only allowed Naksu to use her power if facing danger. 
Still one of the biggest questions here; why can’t she (Bu yeon) remember anything from her past? Was it ordinary memory lost or a shaman spell causes her memory lost? 
Anyway first part of ep15 visuals is great. Especially the icicle spell that trapped Jin Mu to move. :yay: 
Love pretty Jung So min at Jinyowon place scene. Her small face and petite frame makes her looks more younger than her age. 

• Like 3

Quick Poll: Kimchi Slap - Your Weapon of Choice?

YOU are PLAYING the Female Lead (FL) in a makjang kdrama/cdrama/Thai lakorn.

You're about to PRETEND to slap the annoying and evil 2nd FL who is trying to steal the man (Male Lead) you've been eyeing. What will  you use to slap her with?

Kimchi? Seaweed? Spaghetti?

tumblr_inline_pt2xv7WGQT1qcgu07_250.gifv

(Yes, this is the actor playing Uk :D He played an actor who was starring in a makjang drama and the super mean character got slapped by his mother-in-law - he deserved it - hehe)

Please vote!

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @Sleepy Owl @confusedheart @agenth

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

54 minutes ago, iamsherry said:

It was mentioned last night that Jin clan possesses divine powers, just like a powerful priestess, it can control people’s souls and trap them to be helpless. 
Because Mu Deok aka Bu yeon is one person, her sensory ability acted on the time of souls swapping between Naksu and the tavern staff, she drawn Naksu’s soul into her. She only allowed Naksu to use her power if facing danger. 
Still one of the biggest questions here; why can’t she (Bu yeon) remember anything from her past? Was it ordinary memory lost or a shaman spell causes her memory lost? 
Anyway first part of ep15 visuals is great. Especially the icicle spell that trapped Jin Mu to move. :yay: 
Love pretty Jung So min at Jinyowon place scene. Her small face and petite frame makes her looks more younger than her age. 

I think it is Naksu who is confused and conflicting with buyeon coming in and out. Because the powers and the her home recognised buyeon. That is why naksu in Mudeok’s body was confused. I don’t think buyeon wants anyone to know she is real buyeon in Mudeok’s identity. She didn’t return home and changed her name for a reason. She is hiding the ice stone, and everyone is after her. Naksu is also a dangerous person too. And nasku is also looking for ice stone to save herself. I think buyeon’s plan for naksu is the gift of hwansu only if she protects jang uk to the end. Once they save daeho, before buyeon leaves, she may give hwansu to naksu to control her soul shifting body instead of ice stone which is herself needs to disappear or destroyed. So buyeon cannot let her memories known to naksu. There are too many enemies in jin household. I think buyeon is just indirect but not dormant soul. She is using her magic to control the situation and allow nasku to use to her body. 

i think buyeon purposely do not want to show up. She will come out when Jang uk needs her help. The ice stone is meant for jang uk to save daeho. So that is her only and sole destiny: jang uk and daeho. She can’t afford to be known. Once she is known to have ice stone, she has to be destroyed or disappear. It is most likely mudeok/buyeon will disappear or die. She probably will have same fate as Jin seol ran. 

remember what park jin said: hwansu and ice stone most dangerous and banned magic. And the ice stone has to be destroyed according to the legend and history. That is what jin buyeon possesses. Because it would be so much damage if she falls into wrong hands. Luckily jin buyeon learns fast and tried to destroy ice stone but she was too young and too inexperienced. She was born with innate powers. So she was left drowned. Jin buyeon actually can make another ice stones and so on. But only for right reasons. that is why everyone is after her. I think jin buyeon is trying to hide and have no intention to reveal herself to protect herself, jang uk, daeho, and even her family. I think jin buyeon’s sole goal is to give ice stone to Jang uk when time is ready. 

Edited by Tina288

29 minutes ago, partyon said:

(Yes, this is the actor playing Uk :D He played an actor who was starring in a makjang drama and the super mean character got slapped by his mother-in-law - he deserved it - hehe)

Excuse me i can't :loolz:

This is off topic but i remember watching search www and unable to comprehend how he's a '98 liner

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

9 hours ago, marrez1 said:

:approves:i think that Heo girl will be with crown prince at the ending, for the moment these two  peoples are in love with the wrong peoples but there are good person and smart, they want to be loved, and crown prince didn't known that he was considered as candidate for to be her husband

I hope so. She seems nice, it's not her fault she walked in on a bunch of people who already have relationships. I want CP to end up with someone nice (and to be besties with his Songrim buddies).

8 hours ago, SleepyKitty said:

Lol at janguk panicking when mudeok demands him to make a commitment. I think it's better this way though. The fact that he'd wait until she regains her powers back means they would be on a level ground, nobody is having the upper hand, and nobody being there just because they have no other choice. And we as a viewer would not be confused anymore as to whose soul/body/entity he'd ended up with.

I laughed at this, too. It takes everything to drag her feelings out of her, and then she warp speed jumps to, so what is our commitment regarding you getting married? But yeah, they need to be on level ground first. 

8 hours ago, SleepyKitty said:

I have a weird hunch that shaman choi could also has something to do with the fact that naksu's dad died as a soul shifter.

I dunno what Shaman Choi specifically has to do with Naksu's dad, it's a good guess. But I do have a question about him being a soul shifter. Is the person she knew as her dad a soul shifter who moved into his body, and that's the person she knew? Or did she grow up with Real Dad and then someone shifted into him at the end, just before he went wild and killed everyone? If the 2nd case, then Naksu should be mad at that entity (not the Songrim mages who finished him off.) 

As for Naksu knowing Buyeon, I don't think she knows for sure. But I do think she is definitely starting to have a lot of questions in that direction. I think that the Jin mom has some suspicions. And little Choyeon is 100% clueless, lol. (I hope they end up friends. It would be a much better relationship than poor Choyeon never measuring up to the legend of her famous missing sister.)

I hope it's not Yul who's getting his energy sucked out! Just because I don't think he will end up with Naksu in any form (the soul of Naksu is absolutely in love with Uk) doesn't mean I want bad things to happen to him. 

But you know...the previews to this show! They show things in the previews that don't happen in the next episodes! And now we have TWO weeks to wait? Argh. We never did see Uk poking Mudeok in the cheek, for instance. When will all these other things happen that we just saw in the most recent preview? Ep 17? 18? 19?

And then how much longer do we wait for season 2?? 

I almost wish I'd waited until this was all done so I could binge it, BUT coming up with theories for a currently-airing show is fun, too. :)

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, frozentundra said:

I hope so. She seems nice, it's not her fault she walked in on a bunch of people who already have relationships. I want CP to end up with someone nice (and to be besties with his Songrim buddies).

I laughed at this, too. It takes everything to drag her feelings out of her, and then she warp speed jumps to, so what is our commitment regarding you getting married? But yeah, they need to be on level ground first. 

I dunno what Shaman Choi specifically has to do with Naksu's dad, it's a good guess. But I do have a question about him being a soul shifter. Is the person she knew as her dad a soul shifter who moved into his body, and that's the person she knew? Or did she grow up with Real Dad and then someone shifted into him at the end, just before he went wild and killed everyone? If the 2nd case, then Naksu should be mad at that entity (not the Songrim mages who finished him off.) 

As for Naksu knowing Buyeon, I don't think she knows for sure. But I do think she is definitely starting to have a lot of questions in that direction. I think that the Jin mom has some suspicions. And little Choyeon is 100% clueless, lol. (I hope they end up friends. It would be a much better relationship than poor Choyeon never measuring up to the legend of her famous missing sister.)

I hope it's not Yul who's getting his energy sucked out! Just because I don't think he will end up with Naksu in any form (the soul of Naksu is absolutely in love with Uk) doesn't mean I want bad things to happen to him. 

But you know...the previews to this show! They show things in the previews that don't happen in the next episodes! And now we have TWO weeks to wait? Argh. We never did see Uk poking Mudeok in the cheek, for instance. When will all these other things happen that we just saw in the most recent preview? Ep 17? 18? 19?

And then how much longer do we wait for season 2?? 

I almost wish I'd waited until this was all done so I could binge it, BUT coming up with theories for a currently-airing show is fun, too. :)

Remember buyeon binded nasku’s powers is due to protecting jang uk and the rest of the people she would come to meet. Naksu was not over with her revenge. She wanted to kill jang uk at the beginning when she gets her powers. But eventually will not do after getting to know him. And everyone else, she came to respect and care for them. Even now she still wants to fight with park jin again if she regains her powers. Buyeon knows what nasku is thinking and bind her powers to allow her to find truth and return her home. I think buyeon had intention for naksu to teach jang uk. So she takes part of pushing naksu to him. My point is that buyeon will unleash Naksu’s power when her morals and feelings for jang uk to protect is strong. I think the master lee’s cryptic message is actually for buyeon to come out or tell her that Jang uk will be in danger soon that she needs to take action soon. I think master lee knows when Jang uk is in danger or when naksu points the sword at Janguk, buyeon will emerge or take control to save the situation or release Naksu’s powers. It does mean that master Lee knows Jang uk is safe with naksu/buyeon/mudeok. I think master Lee knows about buyeon but rather not say it because she is some ways needs to be kept secret. 

i prefer more time with mudeok before we get into season 2 which we will not see jung somin. So I am more interested in buyeon/Mudeok’s role for now. I just hope they will give best of the plan for jung somin before we say our farewell to her. 

Edited by Tina288

Whatever the reasons for it or where they plan to go in the script with Buyeon, her ability to bind Naksu's powers and develop/heal Naksu as a person has been pretty important. There was a lot of damage done to Naksu's soul, you know? Seeing her dad killed, being used by Jin Mu and turned into his pet murderer, her inability to love others and accept love from them... Tying up her powers and forcing her to care about other people has really been good for her. 

One more question I have is this: what hold does Mudeok/Buyeon have over Soyi? Soyi is a thief, she doesn't seem to care who she swindles or who gets killed for knowing her. But curiously, she is protecting Mudeok, even though she is scared Mudeok will be discovered as the real Buyeon. What is the story there?? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, frozentundra said:

I dunno what Shaman Choi specifically has to do with Naksu's dad, it's a good guess. But I do have a question about him being a soul shifter. Is the person she knew as her dad a soul shifter who moved into his body, and that's the person she knew? Or did she grow up with Real Dad and then someone shifted into him at the end, just before he went wild and killed everyone?

Lol it's just a guess not based on what we know so far, but from a writing standpoint. People has been mentioning how naksu's character development has been left in the back burner since the last few episodes. The link between shaman choi and his father death can just be an instant highway to pull her right into the forefront of the FINAL BATTLE. Kinda. But of course, i could be wrong. After all, she already formed a link with janguk, strong enough to brought her into regaining her power (at least according to those darned previews).

Also based on naksu's memories from the constellation rooms, her dad seems normal, dad-like enough. I think it's safe to assume that his soul shifting episode was quite a recent development that leads to his death. So yeah, if naksu decided to hold any personal vendetta, the target should be the one who meddled with shifting her dad's soul.

(A makjang twist would be if Jang Gang is indeed the one actually responsible for shifting her dad's soul. A regular i-love-you-but-your-dad-killed-my-dad plot ensues)

• Like 5

This drama is AWESOME !So happy to read about season 2!!!

34 minutes ago, frozentundra said:

Tying up her powers and forcing her to care about other people has really been good for her. 

i feel the seame...

• Like 3