[Drama 2022] Alchemy Of Souls: Light and Shadow ✴ 반환

Maetawinz

@rocat chingu, am behind on this drama. Haven't watched last week's episodes yet. :scream: As soon as I'm done with Extraordinary Woo ep 10, I'll catch up on this one.

I gotta make sure @LeftCoastOppa honors his promise.... Hehe :joy:

Heard that there was plot progression in ep 14. No more spoilers please.

quiet tim and eric GIF

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Watch: Lee Jae Wook And Jung So Min Make Viewers’ Hearts Flutter As They Perfect Their 1st Kiss Scene In “Alchemy Of Souls”

tvN’s “Alchemy of Souls” has shared a new making video!

Penned by the famous screenwriting duo known as the Hong Sisters, “Alchemy of Souls” is a fantasy romance drama set in the fictional nation of Daeho, a country that does not exist in history or on maps. The drama tells the story of characters whose fates become twisted due to magic that swaps people’s souls.

The clip begins with Lee Jae Wook and Shin Seung Ho in discussions with the director. As Lee Jae Wook and Jung So Min later practice a heartfelt scene, Shin Seung Ho watches from the side, looking lonely. He cracks everyone up as he asks, “Director, it’s a bit too extreme if I glare at them, right?”

On an early filming day, Lee Jae Wook and Hwang Minhyun rehearse their action scene. Lee Jae Wook comments, “When I do one [move], I forget the next, and do another one then forget the next,” leading the two to continue practicing. While watching the main action scene unfold, Shin Seung Ho and Yoo In Soo adorably start their own battle as they slowly chase each other around the set.

Later, Lee Jae Wook and Jung So Min prepare for their kiss scene by sharing ideas with the director. Jung So Min asks, “It’s just a peck, right?” The director responds, “It’s just a peck,” then begins arranging their body language.

Without actually touching lips, the actors try out the angle they discussed but the director calls out with a giggle, “They didn’t touch! We can see it all.” Lee Jae Wook and Jung So Min then go all out, creating their characters’ perfect first kiss.

Watch the full making video below!

“Alchemy of Souls” airs on Saturdays and Sundays at 9:10 p.m. KST.

Watch: Lee Jae Wook And Jung So Min Make Viewers’ Hearts Flutter As They Perfect Their 1st Kiss Scene In “Alchemy Of Souls” | Soompi

• Like 5

I don't know if this would mean anything about the Drama, maybe not.

JungSoMin reportedly to leave her current agency Blossom Entertainment, will signed the contract with KangHaNeul’s agency TH Company.

JungSoMin confirmed has signed the contract with TH Company, KangHaNeul’s agency.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

i just have to share this again!

the annoying faces of the 3 songrim mages..

hahaha and Mu Deok's outspoken personality gets boosted and level up with Crown Prince's support

cr.: owner

cr.: owner

and, Seo Yul's stare at Mu Deok (Naksu) is so warm and fuzzy!

their conversation is so nice, like little childhood friends

• Like 2

My appreciation comment on AoS so far... :approves:

1) The casting of everyone was perfect. Yes, even the baddies.

I'm impressed by all the main characters, supporting characters, side characters...even the cameos! Yup, even the mother & wild soul-shifter son in the first episode!

2) The OST. Up till the most recent aired episode (Ep 14), my favourite is still the Yul-Naksu theme by Jeong Sewoon. Though, I feel kinda teary-eyed thinking about this one-sided relationship. I really really really wish that Yul will end up with a version of Naksu that he loved, somehow.

3) The epic love connections

Yul loves Naksu. Crown Prince fancies filthy MuDeok. Yun Ok fancies Uk.

Uk & Naksu-MuDeok loves each other.

Dang Gu & Cho Yeon loves each other.

The Park Jin-Maidservant Kim-Master Lee cute little distractions.

The Jang Gang-Madam Dohwa-Park Jin-Maidservant Kim loves lost history.

The secret love story of first Master of Seongrim & the original blind Jin lady.

(I still couldnt place where Jin Bu-yeon is in all this drama...yet)

4) The fight scenes & magical stuff scenes.

Love it. But honestly, I want more!! The slow pacing and building up toward the ultimate good vs. evil showdown is seriously eating away at my patience...HaHaHa.

I'm expecting Uk & the mighty combo of Naksu-BuYeon to show some super tag team 'fated duo' scene thingy. Maybe the yin-yang jades would amplify their powers or something.

Below is still my favourite scene out of the 14 episodes aired B)

Edited by AlterEgoNo9

On 8/1/2022 at 12:51 PM, Gumiho said:

do hong sisters married? from their writing I can feel that the writer are more like alpha female hehehe.. 

LOL I just have to comment on this one.

I only thought Hong Sisters went through some really bad romantic relationship in the past and is on a nefarious plan to show the world that love is actually really painful muahaha...

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

6 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

I don't know if this would mean anything about the Drama, maybe not.

JungSoMin reportedly to leave her current agency Blossom Entertainment, will signed the contract with KangHaNeul’s agency TH Company.

JungSoMin confirmed has signed the contract with TH Company, KangHaNeul’s agency.

Maybe the reason she wasn't technically signed on to season 2 was because her agency (that handles contracts) was changing? 

Wishing her the best at the new agency (and hoping for her to be in season 2!)

• Like 8

Good Morning All -

While poking around the internet this morning i came across this story which adds a bit more definition to Alchemy of Souls parts 1 & 2 and at least partially explains why no Jung So Min in part 2 ... (maybe):rolleyes:

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/125806/20220712/jung-so-min-not-reprise-role-alchemy-of-souls-part-2-why.htm

Key take aways -

... On Tuesday, July 12, the production unit of the drama confirmed that the filming for part 2 has officially begun ...

-

... Because of the intricate and gripping storyline of "Alchemy of Souls," director Park Jun Hwa decided to divide the narrative into parts.

"Alchemy of Souls" Part 1 consists of a total of 20 episodes with one hour running time each, and focused on the main story of Jung So Min, Lee Jae Wook and Hwang Minhyun.

Meanwhile, Part 2 will introduce the supporting roles' side stories and spin-offs organized into 10 new episodes ...

-

... The actress appeased fans through her agency, Blossom Entertainment, and said "I'm not leaving. We are discussing appearing in Part 2." ...

While the story goes on to describe that Go Yoon Jung may (or may not) be a lead in part 2, I'm hoping that the story plays out as above - the main storyline ends after 20 episodes, and the last 10 are spin offs episodes based around the supporting characters.  

:approves:

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 2

29 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Meanwhile, Part 2 will introduce the supporting roles' side stories and spin-offs organized into 10 new episodes ...

Jang Gang Ahjussi Oppa will be back y'all! :love:

200.gif

• LOL 3
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

49 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

While the story goes on to describe that Go Yoon Jung may (or may not) be a lead in part 2, I'm hoping that the story plays out as above - the main storyline ends after 20 episodes, and the last 10 are spin offs episodes based around the supporting characters.  

Ohhhh I hope this is it! I just cannot imagine changing out the lead actress after 20 episodes--soul swapping or not. You can do that in a book, but once you have a living, breathing actor bringing a character to life on screen, it is much, MUCH harder to pull that off.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

22 hours ago, frozentundra said:

Maybe the reason she wasn't technically signed on to season 2 was because her agency (that handles contracts) was changing? 

Wishing her the best at the new agency (and hoping for her to be in season 2!)

Yeah I am thinking the same as you @frozentundra.

12 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Good Morning All -

While poking around the internet this morning i came across this story which adds a bit more definition to Alchemy of Souls parts 1 & 2 and at least partially explains why no Jung So Min in part 2 ... (maybe)

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/125806/20220712/jung-so-min-not-reprise-role-alchemy-of-souls-part-2-why.htm

Key take aways -

... On Tuesday, July 12, the production unit of the drama confirmed that the filming for part 2 has officially begun ...

-

... Because of the intricate and gripping storyline of "Alchemy of Souls," director Park Jun Hwa decided to divide the narrative into parts.

"Alchemy of Souls" Part 1 consists of a total of 20 episodes with one hour running time each, and focused on the main story of Jung So Min, Lee Jae Wook and Hwang Minhyun.

-

... The actress appeased fans through her agency, Blossom Entertainment, and said "I'm not leaving. We are discussing appearing in Part 2." ...

Oh so that is maybe why, she/they could still be in Part 2 but it focus more on the supporting characters instead.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

I just saw this, too. *sadness* 

I wonder what it means? I know sometimes when they are shooting while airing, they will pause to catch up. But I thought ep 1-20 were already done. ?? Are they reshooting or re-editing some things? I wonder if it's due to the reaction when info about season 2 was spilled (that JSM hadn't signed on [yet]). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Blob 3

On 8/2/2022 at 1:12 AM, rocat said:

Even monks grow old. Celibacy isn’t collagen. It must be magic that keeps Master Lee looking like that when he is supposedly over a century old. But how? Soul Shifting is one way to explain it. I am curious about how the story will unfold next week. 

The part that got me hurrying through life to watch…the Wookie-Dookie connection! Hmmm…had I not known it would happen, I would have been nicely surprised by his ‘attack when the enemy least expects’ move. It was slick, exactly what Uk would do so it was very in character. 

But expectation really kills enjoyment, huh. The screenshot was in my head the whole time I was watching so comparison was inevitable. 

The thrill came from the satisfaction that something finally happened but not so much the moment. I didn’t enjoy the sight of both being quite nonchalant and/or dismissive about it. No hand-holding or hugs? What?! If she didn’t call him back about the jade, he’d just turn and go? So…transactional…like he just put a gentle chop on a document. So subtle it’s subliminal. 

The last fight though made me sit up and watch. I really loved that Yul and Uk (Chisu!) fought the last duel. And that the CP made it happen. Kekeke. One jealous monkey there. If he gets his way, MuDeok would probably be safer stowed in Yul’s faraway fortress, shrouded by walls, magic and distance. I think that is perhaps where she’ll spent her days restoring her magic till end of Part 1, and Uk might get visitation rights while he rises through the ranks in Songrim and solve the Sorcerer Choi problem. 

They meet again in Part 2 as a powerful magic-wielding duo, this time with love bubbling over, just like the founder/s and finally bam! deliver on that kiss we’ve been waiting for. Happy ever after. 

@partyon

You know the part master hemp Lee spotted that mudeok had soul shifting soul. He said something that he did it for thr sake of society to prevent them stealing other people’s energy. He began to use his magic to see the energy. Somehow he saw something else, a soul with no malice but not soul shifter also residing in the body too. He stopped from getting the soul out. There are reasons for him to stop: the soul shifter is controlled by another soul to keep from going wild. He knew this soul shifter will not cause problem. He didn’t question anyone else about mudeok. He stood back to observe. My question is, how does he take the soul soul shifter? Does he absorb any soul shifter’s energy in order to keep sane? He only gets any soul shifters. He will stop only when there is no more soul shifter. And he will just wither and die. He could possibly be a soul shifter with honourable intentions. Someone said he may be the soul of the founder of songrim. It would be interesting. 

the kiss. Hehe. It is very very innocent but it was much more than a peck. But I do see more of the character of mudeok-nasku and Jang uk. Jung somin did really well of showing surprised look like her hard shell is shedding slowly with a bit of love. It was a huge step for hard headed assassin. Jang uk shows us how he reached out to her. Trying to be there for her. Never giving up on her. He cares for her like a dotting father, nurturing and understanding like a mother, and loving her like a lover. He is very sweet to her. He is opposite of what she is; straightforward and blunt. Any touch of softness can hit the strong heart. When mudeok- naksu talks as if nothing happened, she later on called him that she found yin egg. You see how elated jang uk is. He learned to read between the lines. He knew she likes it but don’t want to admit. It is really sweet part of memory to start a relationship hopefully. They played the scene well despite incredible chemistry of somin and jae wook in my opinion. Hoping for more heart stopping kiss. 

On 8/2/2022 at 1:19 AM, partyon said:

@rocat chingu, am behind on this drama. Haven't watched last week's episodes yet. :scream: As soon as I'm done with Extraordinary Woo ep 10, I'll catch up on this one.

I gotta make sure @LeftCoastOppa honors his promise.... Hehe :joy:

Heard that there was plot progression in ep 14. No more spoilers please.

see you next month when the show finish part one. :) we are dying here to wait for new ones to come!!!!!

The fight between jang uk and yul was so good. Yul is a fantastic fighter. Jang uK proved to be his best sparring partner. It was very cool to watch them. I wish it was longer. The fight skills and showing off their magic is so cool. Jang uk achieving chisu was so heart fluttering. Yul’s two Swords fight is perfect and epic. He looked sooooo cool. I think it is good the fact yul won because he was experienced and a good fighter. It makes more realistic sense. Jang uk has one more to go: hwansu. That means jin buyeon or master hemp Lee if his real soul is the founder of songrim. But it is best if jin buyeon comes out to teach him when mudeok is blind. Naksu soul to rest. And Jang uk will recognise her but he won’t know she is jin buyeon. It will be very interesting. 

My favourite part of the alchemy of souls is actually how blind mudeok reduced jang uk in soul shifting universe. It is really heart fluttering. Makes me want to learn more about her. She could be the woman jang uk is meant to love too. Naksu is absolutely amazing. Love her but one thing bothers me, jung somin actually plays really well in her role. If we lose mudeok and jin buyeon, we won’t see jung somin. Her chemistry is very sweet with Lee jae wook we got so used to over the time. And wanting them to kiss!!! The first kiss was too innocent for their chemistry!!! :)

they have one week hiatus. That is nuts because I was waiting for it, and it feels like a month!!! Ahhhhh!!!! So any questions need to answer and I can’t wait for emerging Jin Buyeon story!!!!!! 

Edited by Tina288

28 minutes ago, Tina288 said:

see you next month when the show finish part one. :) we are dying here to wait for new ones to come!!!!!

LOL. :loolz:

I did finish both ep 13 and ep 14. First one (ep 13) I finished in 3 hours. The second one (ep 14) only took me 2h 40 min.

@rocat and @LeftCoastOppa can attest to this. :D

Also, I need to finish season 1 asap, so that @LeftCoastOppa 's Thai lakorn challenge can begin!

Happy Excited GIF by Minions

4 hours ago, frozentundra said:

I wonder what it means? I know sometimes when they are shooting while airing, they will pause to catch up. But I thought ep 1-20 were already done. ?? Are they reshooting or re-editing some things? I wonder if it's due to the reaction when info about season 2 was spilled (that JSM hadn't signed on [yet]). 

Chingu, they are rewriting it and re-shooting scenes. Trust me. These hiatuses always mean that, and it always ends up a disaster. :grimace:

Back in the day when kdramas were being live shot/filmed (aka dramas were being filmed as they were airing), re-writing the script according to audience feedback was super common. 95% of the time it ended messing things up big time. Last big failure I remember happening due to script changes is the "drama that shall not be named" :rage: I get angry just thinking about it

:smashes:

Spoiler

The Last Empress was rewritten midway due to the writer listening to the audience and that show crashed and burned big time in the end.

Dunk Fail GIF

I was just chatting with @Sleepy Owl today about it, and we both agreed that these writers are once again way over their heads and it will be a miracle if they pull off the ending in a good way.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

15 hours ago, kwayteow_mama said:

:criesariver: no alchemy of soul episode next week but there'll be some kind of special episode???

Nooooooooooooooo!

This drama is basically what’s motivating me to live. The only thing that keeps me excited. The only reason that I wake up each day looking forward to weekends. Lol

I thought they wrapped up filming for Season 1 that’s why they’re shooting Season 2 now.

This sounds like a bad news. This is making me anxious.

Edited by ferily
Please don’t quote Tweets. Thanks!
  • Like 6