[Drama 2021] Youth of May, 오월의 청춘

SC2019

On 6/4/2021 at 7:25 AM, rolisrntex said:

And yet everyone talks about Tienamenn (sp?) Square in China. This was just as bad if not worse. 

South Korea is a US ally whereas China isn't. The U.S. media tends to focus on our rivals' human rights violations rather than those of our allies (see also Israel, Saudi Arabia, etc.).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, letsgoa_s said:

South Korea is a US ally whereas China isn't. The U.S. media tends to focus on our rivals' human rights violations rather than those of our allies (see also Israel, Saudi Arabia, etc.).

Not to mention the Gwangu Massacre was sanctioned by the US.

• Like 2

Farewell to "Youth of May". I normally don't enjoy historical dramas. Still I stayed watching this in its entirety. 

Boy can Lee Do Hyun cry LoL. I just wanted to hug him so badly. The actor who played the older version of him was the real life husband to the actress who was his stepmom. 

Guess the skeleton mystery turned out to be Myung Hee after all.. This along with Gaksital (coincidentally both by KBS) were good historical dramas I've watched. Although they showed the dark sides of mankind.. which continues until today. 

We never seem to learn do we? We just are doom to repeat the mistakes of our ancestors. Well take care y'all. Stay safe XoX. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kvothe said:

Not to mention the Gwangu Massacre was sanctioned by the US.

This truth is undeniable. Shameful cowardice by the administration at that time. However, this is just one of many instances where the US govt. looked the other way when a dictator they propped up committed crimes against humanity.

• Like 2

I saw that some people are sad and heartbroken because Myeong Hee and Hee Tae didn't live happily ever after, even I was sad at first, but the goal of the drama wasn't to sugarcoat everything and show that the couple lived through Gwangju Uprising and ended up together. It was to portray what victims actually faced during the Gwangju Uprising and what people now feel after experiencing 5.18... Someone even told me that till this day, people haven't found bodies of their families because the military men would dump them somewhere and hide them. I'm glad that the drama stick with it's roots till the end of the drama and did it's best to portray what people went through during that time. I mentioned this before but drama doesn't even compare to what families and victims had to actually face during this time, things being more brutal than what we saw.

The last episode really make me tear up and cry. So heartbreaking what everyone had to go through during this time and what they had to deal with... The two scenes that really got to me was when Myeong Hee died protecting her younger brother and Hee Tae writing his letter to Myeong Hee after they found her body... When Hee Tae was reading that God answered his prayers by letting him go through the suffering, I just :criesariver:

The mysterious man from Episode 1 actually turned out to be none of our main leads but Hee Tae's friend who went to the military. He was the informant and told the police that the skeleton is most likely Myeong Hee. I can't believe it took 40+ years to find Myeong Hee's body.

Such a beautiful but heartbreaking drama...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sobohomom2 said:

Very sad, but true. Ronald Reagan was president at the time, but it could have as easily been a president like Bill Clinton who was a hawk when it came to foreign policy.

Actually, Jimmy Carter was president at the time. Reagan didn’t take office until Jan 1981.

The main point is just about every administration  since WWII had their tin pot dictators they propped up because they thought it would bring stability to the respective region. Those dictators felt free to commit their atrocities because they knew the US had their back.

On 6/9/2021 at 11:11 AM, rolisrntex said:

This truth is undeniable. Shameful cowardice by the administration at that time. However, this is just one of many instances where the US govt. looked the other way when a dictator they propped up committed crimes against humanity.

Yes, this has happened throughout the world--Africa, South America, Central America, Southeast Asia, Europe. Just take Indonesia as an example. The government practiced something called the Jakarta method--anyone who was suspected of being a Communist was executed or imprisoned in labor camps without a trial. Other targeted individuals were ethnic Chinese, Muslims and women's rights activists. Over 1 million people were killed from 1965 to 1966. This was sanctioned by the US government because it was part of their fight against Communism. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jakarta_Method

https://zapzee.net/2021/06/11/youth-of-may-lee-do-hyun-says-go-min-si-made-him-feel-more-comfortable/
‘Youth of May’ Lee Do Hyun Says Go Min Si Made Him Feel More Comfortable

by krishkim | images: KBS

F443529A-9697-436E-9054-8B070DDCB053.jpg

Youth of May actor Lee Do Hyun emerged as the “new romance king.” Playing Hwang Hee Tae, who had to face the cruel reality of 1980, Lee depicted a sorrowful love story that ended in tragedy. 

On the 10th, the actor shared his thoughts about finishing Youth of May through his agency. 

B94E3BAD-29CA-47C8-9DD8-56291FE00466.jpg

Q1. How do you feel now that the series has ended?
First of all, I’m glad that we finished filming safely. I am grateful and feel honored to have worked with the director, writer, staff, and actors who have helped me disappear into the role until the very end. 

Q2. What were the happiest and most difficult aspects of the series?
It was inspiring and challenging to play a boy who might as well have existed in the 1980s. While preparing and filming the work, I first thought, “What would I have done in the 1980s?” Then I thought, “When it comes to expressing one’s love, nothing has changed from the past.” I also realized that “Just because the times and environments are different doesn’t mean everything is different.”

Q3. What did you focus on the most about Hwang Hee Tae? And what is the most memorable moment?
I mainly focused on how to show a bigger difference between his attitude towards Myung Hee and his attitude towards others. If I had to pick one, the scene where I parted ways with Myung Hee at a crossroad for the last time is the most memorable moment. I wonder what would have happened if I hadn’t let go of her hands, and I was just really moved because it was such a heartbreaking and affectionate scene.

69960318-F158-4627-8146-02540B21EAB1.jpg

Q4. What was it like working with Go Min Si as a couple?
I got to act more comfortably thanks to Go Min Si. We are the same age, and we have worked together once before, so we talked more deeply and comfortably about the scenes.

Q5. With this work, you won the nicknames “romance king” and “honey-sweet eyes.” Any other nicknames you want in the future?
I am grateful that people remember and love a person named Lee Do Hyun, but I am just full of emotions to be called with such amazing nicknames. I do have one nickname that I want to hear for the rest of my life, and it’s “an actor you can trust.” I want to work harder and become a good actor so that people will say “I should see it” because I star in it. 

Q6. You won the Best New Actor Award at the 57th Baeksang Arts Awards.
I am in the 57th graduating class of the Acting Department of Chung-Ang University. So I was thrilled that I started with the 57th class that gave me the dream of becoming an actor and won an award at the 57th Baeksang Arts Awards.

Q7. What are your future plans?
I will improve myself and return as a good human and good actor Lee Do Hyun, who has the ability to disappear into the role. Once again, thank you so much for living Youth of May.

Source (1)
Translator Kim Hoyeun: If you are a fan of K-drama, K-movie, and K-pop, I am your guy. I will continue to provide you with up-to-date K-entertainment news.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 6/9/2021 at 3:41 PM, ferily said:

Hee Tae writing his letter to Myeong Hee after they found her body.

This was one of my favorite scenes too, the older Hee Tae writing the letter and then the scenes of him trying to drown himself but washed by the tides back to shore alive over and over, so he can wait and find his love Myung Hee. That was a letter of closure. I cried too. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

“Sweet Home” And “Youth Of May” Co-Stars Lee Do Hyun And Go Min Si To Reunite For Short-Form Drama "Reincarnation Love"

Lee Do Hyun and Go Min Si are reuniting for a short-form drama!

On December 30, it was announced that the actors will be starring in the short-form drama “Reincarnation Love” (literal title), created by pharmaceutical company HK inno.N.

The time loop romance drama is about Jeon Sang Tae (Lee Do Hyun) who goes on a blind date in place of his friend and meets Kim Hwa Ni (Go Min Si).

The two actors previously played siblings in “Sweet Home” and showcased a heartbreaking love story in “Youth of May.”

In “Reincarnation Love,” Lee Do Hyun and Go Min Si will transform into 2021 college students and also pay homage to some scenes from “Youth of May.”

go-min-si-lee-do-hyun-531x897.jpg

Reincarnation Love” is set to be released on January 3 via HK inno.N’s YouTube channel. A teaser will be revealed on December 30 at 5 p.m. KST.

Source (1)

• 4 weeks later...