[Drama 2021] The Devil Judge ⚖️ 악마판사

Maetawinz

Jung In Kyum Becomes Jittery In Front Of The Alluring Kim Min Jung In “The Devil Judge”

9a29de16c42f45f7a820a6b68df818d9.jpeg?s=

Jul 24, 2021
by L. Kim

The Devil Judge” has released new stills ahead of the upcoming episode!

The tvN drama is set in an alternate-universe, dystopian version of Korea where the entire nation participates in a trial through a live broadcast courtroom show. Ji Sung stars as Kang Yo Han, a head judge with mysterious intentions: is he a hero of the people in a world filled with chaos, or is he a devil who wears the mask of the law?

Spoilers

The newly released stills share a glimpse of a frosty encounter between Jung Sun Ah (Kim Min Jung) and Seo Jung Hak (Jung In Kyum).

Although people regard Seo Jung Hak as a person with lofty social virtues, he is nothing but a mere scarecrow to Jung Sun Ah. Previously on “The Devil Judge,” Jung Sun Ah taught Seo Jung Hak an unforgettable lesson through violence when he touched a female waitress at one of the social events they attended. She suggested they tell the public he was fasting and praying for the country, but in reality, she was keeping him locked up.

In the photos, Seo Jung Hak looks terrified as he faces Jung Sun Ah all alone. He even gets on his knees to beg her, and she gazes at him with false sweetness and sympathy.

the-devil-judge-22.jpg

the-devil-judge-41.jpg

In episode 6, Cha Kyung Hee (Jang Young Nam) attempted to get back at Kang Yo Han for punishing her son, but he was able to stop her with a refreshing counterattack by gaining the public’s trust. In addition, he raised suspicions of corruption in the dream site project led by the Social Responsibility Foundation.

It is likely that Jung Sun Ah, the true power behind the Social Responsibility Foundation, has something up her sleeve. How will she turn the tables and overcome this crisis?

https://www.soompi.com/article/1480567wpp/jung-in-kyum-becomes-jittery-in-front-of-the-alluring-kim-min-jung-in-the-devil-judge

• Like 1
  • Unamused 1
  • Blob 1

Ji Sung And GOT7’s Jinyoung Have Opposite Reactions During Prison Visit In “The Devil Judge”

b04a92e6358448e8aacdb1e05fefe231.jpeg?s=

Jul 24, 2021
by L. Kim

tvN’s “The Devil Judge” has released new stills of Ji Sung and GOT7’s Jinyoung ahead of tonight’s episode!

“The Devil Judge” is a drama set in an alternate-universe, dystopian version of Korea where the entire nation participates in a trial through a live broadcast courtroom show. Ji Sung stars as Kang Yo Han, a head judge with mysterious intentions: is he a hero of the people in a world filled with chaos, or is he a devil who wears the mask of the law?

Spoilers

Previously on the drama, Kang Yo Han couldn’t hide his fury when Kim Ga On (played by Jinyoung) took his niece Elijah (played by Jeon Chae Eun) out without permission. In addition, Kang Yo Han was attacked by powerful members of the society who were trying to drag him down from his position. Fortunately, he managed to find a way out of the situation, and viewers are eager to see if Kang Yo Han and Kim Gao On will be able to become close again.

However, the newly released stills hint that the two will remain on tense terms. In the photos, Kang Yo Han and Kim Ga On visit someone in prison. Kim Ga On keeps a firm gaze on the inmate across from him while Kang Yo Han calmly stands in the background. They showcase opposite reactions with Kim Ga On looking like he’s about to explode with anger any minute and Kang Yo Han being as unreadable as always.

the-devil-judge-33.jpg

In another still, Kang Yo Han grabs Kim Ga On’s arm, and Kim Ga On glares at him with steely eyes. It seems as if there will be another tense confrontation between the two men.

the-devil-judge-21.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1480539wpp/ji-sung-and-got7s-jinyoung-have-opposite-reactions-during-prison-visit-in-the-devil-judge

• Blob 3

5 Things From Episodes 5-6 Of “The Devil Judge” That Had Us Worried for Yo Han

deed3a44579e43d7875fb4d5a09729dd.png?s=9

Jul 24, 2021
by shalini

The Devil Judge” continues firing on all cylinders, not easing its breakneck pace as we head into week three. Yo Han’s (the brilliant Ji Sung) revelation last week had Ga On (GOT7’s Jinyoung) reconsidering everything he believed about the titular devil judge, especially when Yo Han softens around him. But just how strong is that faith? Because it’s about to be tested.

Warning: spoilers for episodes 5-6 below.

1. Ga On’s wavering loyalties

Ga On’s initial suspicion of Yo Han made logical sense, but it’s presently bordering on the ridiculous. Ga On lives in the man’s house, despite having fully recovered. He’s had all the time to see just who Yo Han is and it’s pretty evident that the man isn’t a monster.

ji-sung-jinyoung16.gif

There’s something powerful between them, and they know it. Ga On fusses over Yo Han post-nightmare, makes him food, and has breakfast with him and his niece Elijah (Jeon Chae Eun) like they’re parenting her. And yet, Ga On continues to assume the very worst. Soo Hyun (Park Gyu Young) gets hurt? Yo Han did it. Something shady about the first trial’s witness? Of course, it’s Yo Han being evil.

It’s heartbreaking because Yo Han is opening up to Ga On, which is a huge step for him. In his study, Yo Han attempts to manipulate Ga On, then stops as though he can’t continue doing that and immediately spews nonsense about how he is a monster. It’s Yo Han’s main defense mechanism: making people he loves hate him, because he’s so scared of letting someone in and getting screwed over. And what does Ga On do? He jumps to conclusions and attacks Yo Han like an enraged bull whenever anything goes wrong. At this point, Ga On doesn’t deserve Yo Han.

Both Yo Han and Min Jung Ho (Ahn Nae Sang), Ga On’s mentor, point out that Ga On has to make a decision: Yo Han or the elite? Yo Han, for all his competence, is a step away from a mental breakdown and needs someone at his side. But will Ga On and his easily-shaken trust be able to pick what’s morally gray but just over what’s legal but evil?

2. Sun Ah’s identity and assault

kim-min-jung-ji-sung.gif

What a brilliant reveal. Who would have thought that a throwaway line by Yo Han’s housekeeper, Ji Young Ok (Yoon Ye Hee) would hold the key to our charming villain’s identity? Sun Ah’s backstory prior to entering the Kang mansion remains shrouded but it’s clear that her time spent there created the woman she is today: a woman who takes what she wants, and erases anyone who stands in her way.

Sun Ah and Yo Han are sides of the same coin, but where he exercises his power in the name of vengeance and punishment, she does so for glitz and more power. That difference in motivation makes one a villain and the other a (morally ambiguous) hero. The show posits Yo Han as devilish when he’s an avenging angel, while Sun Ah appears as sweet as honey but is cruel to the core. She even has a female helper, Jae Hee (Lee So Young), to match Yo Han’s male helper, K (Lee Ki Taek). And while Yo Han is drawn to Ga On, Sun Ah is very interested in Oh Jin Joo (Kim Jae Kyung).

Spoiler

fc6ef155adf8e0d61a8c859784776474e239c4f3

It’s fascinating because the woman is a hypocrite. She whacks Chairman Seo Jung Hak (Jung In Gyeom) for sexually assaulting a woman, and turns around and does the same thing to Yo Han. She leans on her underprivileged background to win sympathy from Jin Joo when the Dream Homes project stands to make her millions off the lives of the poor. Her motivations aren’t pure, or she would be teaming up with Yo Han to bring these rich men down; instead she’s all the more determined to protect them. But why? She makes so many good points, but does she truly not believe any of them?

This week, Cha Kyung Hee (Jang Young Nam) is her pawn of choice – a pawn who is only too happy to be moved around on a chessboard. Unlike Sun Ah with accomplices galore, Yo Han bears the weight of being surrounded by enemies on all sides, alone. And it’s all about to come down on him.

3. Cha Kyung Hee strikes back

Spoiler

jang-young-nam1.gif

As dislikable as Cha Kyung Hee is, it’s hard not to admire her. She commands the room just by stepping into it and was the only one shrewd enough to figure out Sun Ah’s real identity. The women really shine in this show. Kyung Hee picked her career over her son, but that doesn’t stop her from making a scene sobbing on national television in an attempt to bring Yo Han negative publicity. The flaws of a public trial are laid bare as the very people from whom Yo Han has been deriving his power start to turn against him. Unlike the elite who have eternal power so long as they have money, Yo Han’s newfound power is fickle and easily manipulated.

The Nam Seok Hoon (Kang Seo Joon) case presents Yo Han with a lose-lose scenario: go with what he would normally do (physical castration, in this case) and set a terrible precedent (while giving power to the crazy portion of his fanbase), or ruin his reputation as a judge for the people by giving the man a slap on the wrist. Ga On worriedly watches as Yo Han ruins several sheets of paper and many pens while trying to hold back evident anger (and you still suspect him, Ga On?). True to form, Yo Han manages to create a third option where only two are provided, but it’s enough to show him that he needs to secure his power in a more concrete way. After all, he could be removed from the TV show altogether.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 3

Hello~ first post on Soompi in a long time! But The Devil Judge brought me back :)

Is anyone else awestruck by how terribly similar Gaon, Sunah, and Yohan are?  I can’t say they’re mirror images of each other (no such thing as a three sided mirror lol), but they reflect back on one another.  Gaon and Sunah both have their own “moral code” that they live by.  Sunah’s is every woman for herself and devil take the hindmost.  While Gaon is the exact opposite with his self-sacrificing belief in the preservation of the system above his own needs.  And standing apart from them, is chaotic Yohan who lives by no code at all.  I have to wonder what another Gaon/Sunah encounter would look like.  Would she play the innocent again?  Or would Yohan even let the two of them meet?

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

Just finished episode 7 and wow ... just better and better

With that scene in the prison, its a certainty that Ga-On is being tested. I really really hope he remains true. Soo Hyun protected him from himself before so hopefully she will step in again and keep him on the right side of the law and his own morality

Cha Kyung Hee was V-E-R-Y conspicuously absent this episode

Sun-Ah - and the power grab begins - she is so scary, its frighteningly good. Next episode looks like we get another face off between her and Yo-Han, this time, on his territory.

Looking forward to the next episode -

• Like 6
  • Awesome 2

It feels like Yohan is grooming Ga On to be his successor and has been working on creating the image of an infallible and unimpeachable idol judge with a heartbreaking past. Unfortunately, this might suggest that Yohan doesn't plan on surviving the war he's started. And if dramas like Sweet Home has taught us, if a teenager acts all bratty towards a family member for almost the entire show only to warm up to them near the end, there's a good chance the family member is going to die.

I haven't been too big of a fan of Jin Young's acting in his serious and angry moments but he was excellent in his breakdown scene in the prison yard. Reminded me of Brad Pitt in Se7en after he found out what was in the box.

Rolled my eyes hard at Soo Hyun being concerned about Elijah's welfare. She wasn't concerned at all about what she had done to Elijah, but rather only what Yohan might have done to her. That entire scene was like Ga On and Soo Hyun fussing over the expired food in the refrigerator after they had set the house on fire.

I've read complaints about Kim Min Jung's acting but I'm adoring it. She's dived headfirst in the Catwoman role and committed to it. From the yoga poses to the leisurely pace of how she talks and how she moves, Sun Ah is all feline. There's even a slowness to the way she blinks.

The final scene had a League of Shadows vibe all over it. From the crowd dressed in all in black to the banners with a logo straight out of a comic book, Sun Ah has pretty much taken on a duo villain role of Catwoman and Ra's Al Ghul.

The Social Responsibility Foundation: https://ibb.co/2qYFwCM
  • Like 12

Many are praising Jin Young's acting. But I don't see anything worth praising. He's got one facial expression, except when he was crying during his dad's wake and the scene at the prison yard. Although it's mostly screaming...can't see much of the face because it was dark. If he opens his eyes a bit wider, he'll be like a deer caught in headlights.

So, the actual culprit that Ga On remembered was not the same man who was in prison. Yo Han just taught him a hard life lesson...those with power can do anything.

While the story moves along, there is no explanation why Ga On continues to live in Yo Han's house. Also, he doesn't have manners, barging into rooms, whether they are sleeping or having a discussion. He's not in his own house. Also, in most Kdramas, even family members knock on the door of their parents or siblings and wait to be allowed to enter. He was not left an orphan when he was still a baby, so his parents should have taught him good manners. Even if he lived in an orphanage, he would have been taught some manners.

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

22 minutes ago, reddragon said:

Many are praising Jin Young's acting. But I don't see anything worth praising. He's got one facial expression, except when he was crying during his dad's wake and the scene at the prison yard. Although it's mostly screaming...can't see much of the face because it was dark. If he opens his eyes a bit wider, he'll be like a deer caught in headlights.

So, the actual culprit that Ga On remembered was not the same man who was in prison. Yo Han just taught him a hard life lesson...those with power can do anything.

While the story moves along, there is no explanation why Ga On continues to live in Yo Han's house. Also, he doesn't have manners, barging into rooms, whether they are sleeping or having a discussion. He's not in his own house. Also, in most Kdramas, even family members knock on the door of their parents or siblings and wait to be allowed to enter. He was not left an orphan when he was still a baby, so his parents should have taught him good manners. Even if he lived in an orphanage, he would have been taught some manners.

I agree, i still dont get it why gaon decides to stay at yohan's house. still no explanation and still doesnt make sense to me.

Tho i have to disagree, i kinda like jinyoung's acting. I've seen him once in when my love blooms and he keeps getting better, and definitely on the better side if being compared with actors on his age (25ish)

6 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Just finished episode 7 and wow ... just better and better

With that scene in the prison, its a certainty that Ga-On is being tested. I really really hope he remains true. Soo Hyun protected him from himself before so hopefully she will step in again and keep him on the right side of the law and his own morality

Cha Kyung Hee was V-E-R-Y conspicuously absent this episode

Sun-Ah - and the power grab begins - she is so scary, its frighteningly good. Next episode looks like we get another face off between her and Yo-Han, this time, on his territory.

Looking forward to the next episode -

Somehow soo hyun's role for me seem insignificant. she adds nothing other than being the love interest of Gaon

2 hours ago, Kvothe said:
It feels like Yohan is grooming Ga On to be his successor and has been working on creating the image of an infallible and unimpeachable idol judge with a heartbreaking past. Unfortunately, this might suggest that Yohan doesn't plan on surviving the war he's started. And if dramas like Sweet Home has taught us, if a teenager acts all bratty towards a family member for almost the entire show only to warm up to them near the end, there's a good chance the family member is going to die.

I haven't been too big of a fan of Jin Young's acting in his serious and angry moments but he was excellent in his breakdown scene in the prison yard. Reminded me of Brad Pitt in Se7en after he found out what was in the box.

Rolled my eyes hard at Soo Hyun being concerned about Elijah's welfare. She wasn't concerned at all about what she had done to Elijah, but rather only what Yohan might have done to her. That entire scene was like Ga On and Soo Hyun fussing over the expired food in the refrigerator after they had set the house on fire.

I've read complaints about Kim Min Jung's acting but I'm adoring it. She's dived headfirst in the Catwoman role and committed to it. From the yoga poses to the leisurely pace of how she talks and how she moves, Sun Ah is all feline. There's even a slowness to the way she blinks.

The final scene had a League of Shadows vibe all over it. From the crowd dressed in all in black to the banners with a logo straight out of a comic book, Sun Ah has pretty much taken on a duo villain role of Catwoman and Ra's Al Ghul.

The Social Responsibility Foundation: https://ibb.co/2qYFwCM

me too! i like kim min jung's acting in this drama. it may seem a bit overdramatic but it adds nuance to her role

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

I came, I saw...

I left. Almost.

I honestly don't know what to say about this episode aside of the simple: don't like it. 

Well, maybe the moment when Kang Yo-Han tricked the Minister. It was fun. And when he tried to take lessons in parenting. That's good. Poor 'Secretary/Butler's, it only tried to help, also deliveries company in this drama should be awarded. Good express don't even cover it... Light speed maybe?

So, Jung Sun-A killed her mother? Who was the one that tried to move one her and she took evidence? The foundation fake president? 

Oh Jin-Joo questioning Kang Yo-Han's motives... Hm, they say that if you meet your idol you're be most likely disappointed. But she's clever and I curious what she'll do now. 

Aside of those parts, I'm not impressed, shocked or moved... Just exasperated. 

The hard life lesson hasn't much impact, it's simply overdue for a judge to understand the position he's in in dystopian-like reality... 

What is interesting is the emphasis the show puts on women's strength, right, situation. It's something I didn't see a lot in K-drama (but maybe I didn't watch that much in the first place). Not sure the message is... a good one, but focusing on the issues is a nice change (still that lecture was a bit... wow, something). 

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

Hello Guys,

I see this two thing on the raw ep 8 i think ga on chose the yo han  i think the other judge that was next to him know is with the evil maid i will call her that. But she will betray her and  Preview i think will try to kill but he won.  Think that min jo that know who is the real father of ga on.  Doest let him go to motorcycle and the rest  my question his this why ga on ask in ep 7 who area you ?  yo han didnt tell him nothing  still make that they will a twisted  i think i already know it.  Ga On will not become full evil but now he see is not justice or real justice, Mentor was being the fire that is important clue.

• Blob 2

Since the word devil is in the title of the show, I would like to play devil's advocate regarding Gaon and Yohan's relationship (Just for fun! Not trying to make anyone angry! I just really like the show and tearing apart character motivations and actor's choices)

Gaon rarely sleeping in his own home makes sense if you view it from the angle that he and Yohan are lowkey obsessed with each other.  Whether you ship it and want them to bang, whether you think it’s that Yohan and Gaon have found a chance for family in each other, whether you think they’re diametrically opposed philosophically and destined to kill each other-- it’s irrelevant.  Obsession is how Ji Sung and Jinyoung are playing it.

The constant invasion of physical spaces--Gaon roaming all over the Kang mansion, going directly into Yohan's bedroom like it's Gaon's bedroom instead, barging into his office at the court without knocking, asking questions of Yohan's niece and Yohan's nanny.

The constant invasion of personal space--Yohan has put his hands on his work subordinate too many times to recount and not all of them were violent responses to rude behavior from Gaon (and even if they were responses to rude behavior, slamming your new employee into a bookshelf for borrowing a book is not a typical response for a boss to have), so I'll just give a couple: the chin thing after Gaon apologizes for accusing him of fratricide, herding him both into the party and away from the quote "pack of lionesses" at the party in ep 4.

They both overstep the boundary line between strangers, between superior and subordinate, constantly.  And you have to wonder why.  My answer to why they act as they do is that a theme of the drama is: when does devotion turn into obsession? 

Suhyeon is "devoted" to Gaon, to protecting him, even his own worst impulses.  But we haven't had a scene with her yet, where she isn't immediately jumping to help him with his every need.  I suppose you might argue that they're lifelong friends, almost family.  Which yes, makes sense.  But where is her life outside of Gaon?  Who are her other friends?  What are her other interests?  Maybe it's a fault in the writing, but I doubt it.  Gaon has his plants, his love for motorcycles.  What does Suhyeon have, other than him?

And Gaon, once his Professor Min gives him the role of spy, well, he's as single-minded about it as Suhyeon is about him.  And Yohan is the same. 

Anyway, that was long, and I'll take off my devil horns now :)

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1

Out of all the villains (in my mind known as Yo Han’s victims lol) in the show, I find Sun Ah to be the one who poses the most threat. She’s incredibly manipulative ,and there’s no limit she’s unwilling to cross to get what she wants. It seems like she doesn’t have a weak spot, but in her own words, everyone has something they want to protect. What/who does she want to protect, apart from herself of course. 

I believe Yo Han is deliberately instigating Ga On. He’ll keep on pushing him until Ga On breaks. All just to make Ga On realize that he’s not as righteous as thinks himself to be. When things get bad enough, Ga On is capable of becoming just like Yo Han. 

In all of those, I really feel for Oh Jin Joo. Yo Han and Ga On keep her out of the loop and she detests it. Yo Han is invested in his schemes and doesn’t communicate with anyone other than Ga On. Ga On, on the other hand, is busy playing detective. Oh Jin Joo actually does her job but still gets sidelined. I won’t be surprised or blame her if she does jump ships to Sun Ah. Eventually, she’ll go back though when she is confronted with Sun Ah’s reality…..if she’s alive to do that. I don’t know why ,but I feel like death is looming over her. I really hope I’m wrong. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Maliah said:

In all of those, I really feel for Oh Jin Joo. Yo Han and Ga On keep her out of the loop and she detests it. Yo Han is invested in his schemes and doesn’t communicate with anyone other than Ga On. Ga On, on the other hand, is busy playing detective. Oh Jin Joo actually does her job but still gets sidelined. I won’t be surprised or blame her if she does jump ships to Sun Ah. Eventually, she’ll go back though when she is confronted with Sun Ah’s reality…..if she’s alive to do that. I don’t know why ,but I feel like death is looming over her. I really hope I’m wrong. 

I felt the same way about her, and believe her ambition will be her downfall. When Sun Ah put the pearl necklace around her neck, it certainly reads as a strong metaphor for Jin Joo falling under Sun Ah's control. But also it literally look like Sun Ah was the devil looming behind her. The lingering soft touches and her sing-song voice combined with those dead eyes gave me chills. 

I think the theme of obsession is stronger throughout this episode. Certainly Sun Ah's deathly obsession with Yohan, and Yohan and Gaon mutual obsession with each other. Gaon is finding a twisted sort of mentorship in Yohan. Not quite sure what Yohan makes of Gaon other than seeing him as Isaac. Yohan puts up the front that he won't hesitate to get rid of Gaon if he goes against him, but we all know that he won't. A bold proclamation that'll definitely come back to cause trouble for him later.

I'm not sure what to make of Soohyun and Elijah's current storyline. It's great that Elijah finds a confidant and friend in Soohyun rather quickly. If it's meant to be a little side story to help buffer all the doom and gloom, then it worked. It'll be more interesting to the story if Elijah was secretly sent by Yohan to dig up Soohyun's motives instead.

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1

Finished episode 7 and yall we are officially halfway through the drama!!

I gotta say that I totally expected Chairman Seo's death. I already knew that Sun Ah wasn't going to let him stay alive and kill him. Now she is truly the chairman of the foundation so it'll be interesting to see how she plays her cards... I think we are going to see some threat to Gaon and Yohan because of her. (Btw the Chairman must've took Sun Ah in when she was young and sexually assault her right? I forget if this was mentioned in previous episodes or not but I understood that correctly, right?)

But oh man, I also had a feeling that there was going to be SOMETHING that would be the turning point for Ga On and it turned out to be this. The person who caused his parent's death ISN'T even in prison and HASN'T been in prison for the last 17 years. When Yo Han said this is the system, he is definitely right about it. The rich and powerful use money and blackmail the poor or weak to get what they want. Not sure if the ahjusshi in prison is poor but he is definitely someone who was used just to be put in jail for 17 years in place of the actually scammer guy. This was definitely a wake up call for Ga on with his naivety and strong belief and righteousness in the law. It's not all that it seems and Yo Han showed Ga On this. I am looking forward to baddie Ga On and see him work with Yo Han... (And based on the episode 9 preview, it seems like Ga On is going all out and determined to catch and kill the guy who caused his parents death. I mean he must be even MORE enraged now, finding out that he never even served his time and escaped)

Another thing I wanted to mention is that anyone else laugh at the scene where Yo Han was trying to talk to Elia, but all she cared about in that moment was Ga On?  When Elia slammed the door in Yo Han's face many times and he was getting frustrated but trying to smile, HAHA!! I was dying during that scene..:loolz: I like that Yo Han heeded Ga On's advice and tried to speak with Elia. This is one thing that I like about Ga On, he knows how to hit the bull's eye for Yo Han.

Okay, these are my thoughts for now with Episode 7... I am off to watch episode 8 :D Actually last thing, so Yo Han goal was to use Ga On for doing research and work on the foundation to use him and bring up his parent's death? Or maybe that was just a bonus with working with Ga On? What do you guys think

• Like 9
  • Blob 2