[Drama 2022-2023] The Glory, 더 글로리

twtwb

The Glory made top 10 list on Netflix! I’ll be honest, it was really hard to watch the first episode. Like others, I thought it was a bit extreme with how the students bullied her, but then anything can happen you know. It’s a cruel world we are living in. 

• Like 10
  • Blob 2

Just finished ep 4. 
It's a good storyline, getting back at not one but 6 bullies plus the school teacher - she should break both his legs.

But the viciousness of the bullying is worse than some prison scenes in other shows. :surprisedwut:

The 'daughter' of the head bully, I am sure is the boy actor who's played girls before. A bit grown up but the faceblooks very similar.

I think we will get to see the ska*** of a mother again.

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

I was looking fwd to the show and excited that it would drop 8 epis at one shot of s1.My expectations were dampened on how the season ended.The format is of a 16 epis series.Sticking to weekly epis might have been better.

The school bullying was brutal as a prison torture and it seems there were multiple victims.Did all the families turn out like the FL's mom?The main bully still continues her behavior with the staff and her sharp husband didn't know it?The reveal of her story to the ML felt out of the blue.Had they really developed their relationship to warrant that?

Wish the story was more tightly weaved to pack a punch and not rely solely on the graphic torture to do the job.The young version of the characters stole a march upon their grown up versions.

Keeping fingers crossed that s2 would wipe the disappointment of s1.

HNY to all in the forum.

• Like 8
  • Blob 2

22 hours ago, partyon said:

o join us!

I watched ep1!

The bullying is horrific. My heart goes out to SHK’s young self.

it’s terrible that she grows into adulthood bitter, broken and in pain, with the scars seared into her body and soul and with revenge as her ultimate goal. 

I like her spunk and strength though but I feel like she’s on the brink of entering a mental institution. Good acting from cardboard unnie? Kekeke…

• Like 7
  • Love 2

Done watching all the episodes and I need season 2! 

I kinda like the chemistry between Dong Eun and Do Yong tho. I know he's someone else's husband, her target of revenge and I used not to like when someone steal one's spouse, but idk why I like their chemistry. However I also like the chemistry between Song Eun and Yeo Jeong. Then I actually like the story plot, but I kinda hope that the revenge could be meaner and intense :naughty: So Im soo curious with Season 2! 

Oh The Glory is on #2 Top 10 Netflix TV Show in Indonesia. 

• Like 8
  • Blob 3

I finished the first season. I think I waited something more for the final minutes to happen. It was maybe just too bland.  

The plot is good. I do not like the romance between the leads so I mostly skip those scenes.  

The young counterparts were amazing. 

The old lady who own the building that FL lives who is she?  

• Like 5
  • Love 3

I have just finished Ep 7. 

I watched dailies all the time and I am used to how corny the shows can be but this is supposedly a more serious type - 16 episodes and SHK heading it. The sleazebag JaeJun who was like a serial fornicater suddenly went mushy over his colour-blind daughter. A man with a bit of brain would say 'My God, how many more colour blind kids have I fathered!!'. 
:Megalol:

Are we going to get a "jumping into the sack "  papa who will sacrifice himself for his daughter and the woman he loves? Maybe.I can't help laughing. It's amazing what an innocent child can do, turn a skutzb**l into a doting father. Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

I like SHK's assistant, maid turned into a spy. So bubbly.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Allow me to go back to Ep 1 for a while.  After young Dong Eun (Actress Jung Ji So) has cited "in-school bullying" as her reason for dropping out of school, she was slapped by that idiot teacher.  I don't understand why she did not run away.

The teacher slapped her. She fell down.  Got up and allowed him to slapped her again.  And it got repeated many times.  I kept asking:  "Why don't you run away?"

Did anyone of you feel the same way?

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, hush puppy said:

Allow me to go back to Ep 1 for a while.  After young Dong Eun (Actress Zheng Zhi Xiao) has cited "in-school bullying" as her reason for dropping out of school, she was slapped by that idiot teacher.  I don't understand why she did not run away.

The teacher slapped her. She fell down.  Got up and allowed him to slapped her again.  And it got repeated many times.  I kept asking:  "Why don't you run away?"

Did anyone of you feel the same way?

He was the teacher who was to be obeyed. So if he hits her, there may be a delayed action. It's the other teachers who should be faulted for not stopping him. Anyway it's good he died a cruel, rejected by his own son.

There is little indication of what will happen in part 2.  It might turn out to be like Eve. The man had to kill his wife to protect her and killed himself to complete it. 

• Like 7
  • Blob 2

I have some questions in mind.  I know school bullying is pretty bad in korea, but is it this bad like burning someone up? And she's doing it to many student at school and not even one person is reporting her, as in at some point these kids will have to get wounds checked by doctors, will doctors not report the abuse or something. I found this part very hard to believe for bullies to get away with this much abuse, it only speaks very negatively of the society which allows it. I mean if it's real then I am speechless...at the silence of scociety.

When psycho female bully's husband confronts her in last episode it seems like she threatens him back to not dog further, it was very shocking to watch her openly threaten her very powerful husband who she knows can crush her under his pinkie in seconds and when she's already scared to save tge marriage, her guts seemed to be out of place and more provoking.

I don't think bully's husband is a good guy at all.

The homeroom teacher didn't deserve this easy death. She waited 17 years for revenge,that bully teacher was an equal level culprit, he should have been tormented for years before getting killed. He got it out very easy.

Edit: I mistakenly voted for shaman, I dunno how it got clicked, but don't know much about her to see her punished. Can i undo it.

Voted for bully's husband as he gives very bad feel but if he turns out nice guy then definitely no problem with him. It is clear he picks her for her designer clothes because of his mother's obsession with luxury brands, that could mean either he has no interest in her and picked her as he had to, as it's a norm in rich families or that he is also a shallow guy. His interest towards a woman who is expert at Go makes no sense because if he had a thing for a brainy smart woman, pretty sure he must have already looked for her.

Edited by Shimmery-summer
  • Like 1

Binged this in one day. A good watch. Cannot wait for new episodes. 

Rather random, but that scene revealing the girl at the shaman’s place to be sleeping with the chief from the police, how do you think it relates to the revenge plan? Since our resident spy Kang specifically tailed her to the restaurant.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Shimmery-summer said:

I have some questions in mind.  I know school bullying is pretty bad in korea, but is it this bad like burning someone up? And she's doing it to many student at school and not even one person is reporting her, as in at some point these kids will have to get wounds checked by doctors, will doctors not report the abuse or something. I found this part very hard to believe for bullies to get away with this much abuse, it only speaks very negatively of the society which allows it. I mean if it's real then I am speechless...at the silence of scociety.

When psycho female bully's husband confronts her in last episode it seems like she threatens him back to not dog further, it was very shocking to watch her openly threaten her very powerful husband who she knows can crush her under his pinkie in seconds and when she's already scared to save tge marriage, her guts seemed to be out of place and more provoking.

I don't think bully's husband is a good guy at all.

The homeroom teacher didn't deserve this easy death. She waited 17 years for revenge,that bully teacher was an equal level culprit, he should have been tormented for years before getting killed. He got it out very easy.

Edit: I mistakenly voted for shaman, I dunno how it got clicked, but don't know much about her to see her punished. Can i undo it.

Voted for bully's husband as he gives very bad feel but if he turns out nice guy then definitely no problem with him. It is clear he picks her for her designer clothes because of his mother's obsession with luxury brands, that could mean either he has no interest in her and picked her as he had to, as it's a norm in rich families or that he is also a shallow guy. His interest towards a woman who is expert at Go makes no sense because if he had a thing for a brainy smart woman, pretty sure he must have already looked for her.

"In-School Bullying" is quite common in every country.   The difference is in the Degree.  And yes resulting in Drop-Outs and Death at times. Very brutal results.

As the bullies do it, especially in a Group, they will begin to get a "Kick" out of it.  So much so they eventually get bolder and bolder.  A little bit like taking Alcohol or Drugs.  

It is very pronounced in South Korea where Wealth is controlled by the Top 5%.  The government's fault.  And the society there is very materialistic and concerned about Wealth, Prestige and Social Status.  Why?  There are so many "School Bullies" among the K-Stars and K-Pop Idols themselves.

Have you seen the K-Movie "Silenced" ?  It is a true story.  And there you can see how the Deaf Kids in the school for them are sexually abused.  One of the teachers exposed it and brought it to Court.  But nothing happens.   (It may not be an "In-School Bullying" case.  But what I am trying to say is - That's South Korea)

If you read and research more, you will know South Korea better.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Insightful 4
  • Blob 1

5 hours ago, maribella said:

The sleazebag JaeJun who was like a serial fornicater suddenly went mushy over his colour-blind daughter. A man with a bit of brain would say 'My God, how many more colour blind kids have I fathered!!'. 

This was one of the most interesting parts for me in the first season. How did Hornet just suddenly become such a "devoted dad" ? As soon as he found out that is his kid, he melted to mush for her....

Let me post a theory - some background first:

Now you see, if the writer had been smart, she would have actually spent more time making the bullies more than the one-dimensional characters they are now.

Let's be clear. No kid becomes a bully if they have a loving and normal upbringing, and if they are happy balanced kids.

These kids all became bullies - not because they chose to - but because they were deeply unhappy kids. We always blame bullies, but most often don't invest time in understanding why the bully is acting like he/she does.

The way we treat others is the way we feel about ourselves. Our actions mirror how we view ourselves.

So if we bully others, it's actually contempt and/or unhappiness we feel about ourselves.

I would have liked to understand more why the bullies in this drama had such sad and miserable upbringings that they tried to make themselves feel better by bullying others - because they didn't have any other tools or means to make themselves happier nor solve the problems they faced.

We saw glimpses of Queen Bee's overbearing mother and how the shaman directed her life. What about the other bullies?

So to come back to my first question about why Hornet suddenly wanted to become a devoted dad:

From a psychological viewpoint, my guess is that he grew up without love and the rage that he had towards all others around him was rooted in disappointment towards his parents and the world. He probably also fears the world and any intimate relationships, mostly because he probably feels he doesn't deserve love ("My parents didn't love me, why would anyone else do?"). We saw that he didn't want to get married, because he would have had to open himself towards love and trust the spouse. What if the spouse stops loving him too? It would crush him. So, it's better to stay away from deep relationships.

Suddenly he learns that he has a child. Deep inside of him, he has been all this time longing for love and this is his off-spring. It's easier to love a child because they don't betray you like adults do.

In the end, I think Hornet just wants to be loved - and his daughter is his first attempt to allow himself to feel love in a very long time....

Sorry for the long post.

1 hour ago, Shimmery-summer said:

Unfortunately you cannot change your vote anymore. It's okay - I voted for the shaman too.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 4

1 hour ago, hush puppy said:

"In-School Bullying" is quite common in every country.   The difference is in the Degree.  And yes resulting in Drop-Outs and Death at times. Very brutal results.

As the bullies do it, especially in a Group, they will begin to get a "Kick" out of it.  So much so they eventually get bolder and bolder.  A little bit like taking Alcohol or Drugs.  

It is very pronounced in South Korea where Wealth is controlled by the Top 5%.  The government's fault.  And the society there is very materialistic and concerned about Wealth, Prestige and Social Status.  Why?  There are so many "School Bullies" among the K-Stars and K-Pop Idols themselves.

Have you seen the K-Movie "Silenced" ?  It is a true story.  And there you can see how the Deaf Kids in the school for them are sexually abused.  One of the teachers exposed it and brought it to Court.  But nothing happens.   (It may not be an "In-School Bullying" case.  But what I am trying to say is - That's South Korea)

If you read and research more, you will know South Korea better.  

Silenced incident happened in 70s or 80s but this drama is set in 2002 which is pretty recent.

I agree bullying exists everywhere tho to diff degrees in different places. I have read up on bullying in korea but for it to be this bad that multiple victims are burned daily by bullies and noone even from outside helps them, kids themselves give up after reporting to police once is all a bit surprising. Maybe then that happens in koreaor or maybe it's not common but unfortunately some people do end up facing this extreme bullying. I really feel curious to know why bullying to this extreme happens in korea and japan, like what is the reason for doing this.

I am not denying victims' pain and choice of silence, I am a bullying victim though it wasn't physical and system protected bullies and I was warned to be kicked out so I know.

• Like 1