[Drama 2022-2023] The Glory, 더 글로리

twtwb

48 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Most of the dramas and movies that I have seen where the revenge was main theme, they all ended up with the person taking revenge realizing that they still are not at peace. The best movie for this would be "I saw the devil" where in the ML realizes the same, after all is done. Won't spoil it, and again not the best place to mention the plot too.

And I think that is the reality, as I said the revenge would leave a bigger hole in their heart than the trauma did, because then they would realize that they became a similar kind of person who they hated to become. 

I agree, and I hope that the daily I'm watching will have an ending that is grounded in some level of reality. It's just not doing a good job now by showing a person doing revenge while enjoying life and that RickRoll'D me off. I remember hearing this in an old show: "No one do revenge to be happy" - so I don't expect for a happy sappy ending. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, partyon said:

Scientifically speaking that is not true. The variation played by genetics is only one tenth.

Doesn't matter. Nothing whether genetics, environment, bad upbringing would ever excuse a bully for being a bully and create any sympathy for them and exempt them from punishment.

• Love 2

44 minutes ago, Shimmery-summer said:

Doesn't matter. Nothing whether genetics, environment, bad upbringing would ever excuse a bully for being a bully and create any sympathy for them and exempt them from punishment.

I can appreciate your opinion, even though I don't share your viewpoint in this matter. The beauty is that we are all free to see things the way we want to and believe in, and I think it's great to read how people feel about dramas on this forum. :kiss_wink:

2 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

But what she is doing here is that she is purposely being slow to torture them mentally, she is playing mind games with them.

Not even that. She indirectly had her teacher killed - without batting an eyelid. That just shows how damaged she is, and how much in need she is of mental help and that she is evil too. I think that incident made me realize that she might go down with this ship in the end.

I am not really sure if this is what the writer intends imply, but this sort of implies that the therapy was of no use. 

That is what worries me too. IRL if you have problems you should seek help - not plan for 20 years some kind of revenge plan and then have people killed.... So I certainly hope that the writer has a plan for season 2 for this and that she does bring out a healthy message in the end. It will be very worrisome if people in the FL's situation IRL would start doing similar things.

If anyone is suffering from bullying or is still struggling from the after-effects of it, please seek professional help. Your wounds can be healed. :kiss_wink:

I am sure she is pretty much ready for the consequences of her action, but what about the lady helping her for her daughter? I am even worried about the daughter here.

Yes, it is sad that ahjumma feels that the only way she can get away from her husband is by having him killed. Instead of divorcing him. Does she fear that he will kill her if she does that? Whatever is the case, I do wonder if the situation really is as bad in Korea as this drama is depicting, or if it's just for ratings?

There must be women shelters and help for abused women in Korea too, no? And with the severe abuse, I would assume that she could easily get evidence to have her husband locked away?

1 hour ago, melodictrain said:

I remember hearing this in an old show: "No one do revenge to be happy" - so I don't expect for a happy sappy ending. 

With only 8 episodes remaining, I have a hard time seeing that there can be enough time to give the leads a happy ending. I find it more likely that there will be a sad ending.

• Like 1

ep 7

omo...those soothing words...  

Yeojeong - ''its ok if I touch you...  they are injuries...the passcode is... ''   

Yeojung listens to how the vitamins dissolve in water.

We saw that DE almost put her hand on that hot kettle.

they are not simple characters...

%EB%8F%84%EA%B8%80%EB%A1%9C%EB%A6%AC_%EC

wow...Doyoung...  He is smart and insightful ...

I loved how he gasped when he saw DE in the classroom.   

I wonder how he even married YJ.   

• Like 3

Did you guys notice this weird thing in drama, that the head bully and her friends won't fear police and will yet burn her and all, have zero fear of anyone, but just because she leaves their names as reason for dropping out they and their parents suddenly become super scared, and go extremes to change the reasoning. I wonder why they were so scared when they didn't even fear law. 

I still believe the teacher didn't get pubished enough. Also when one would look for a background story of a school student becoming a bully, what excuse can be given for a bully teacher who has his own college going kids. 

Netflix K-drama review: The Glory – Song Hye-kyo plays a bullying victim bent on revenge who discovers new passions in life

spacer.png

After dropping out of high school, Dong-eun’s every move has been dictated by her epic vendetta, but this vendetta entails meeting new people and acquiring new skills and these add new variables to her life.

Dong-eun may think that her life ended during that terrible period in school and that everything she has done or felt since then has been intractably connected to it, but life is far more complex than that. Life does not care about your feelings, or how hurt or content you may be; it keeps laying new roots.

For Dong-eun, those roots include new passions that crop up as a result of her vendetta: playing go, and Joo Yeo-jung (Lee Do-hyun).

Go is the chess-like Korean board game that Dong-eun spends years mastering to draw the attention of Ha Do-yoon (Jung Sung-il), the husband of Park Yeon-jin (Lim Ji-yeon), the chief architect of her torment.

Speaking of architects, Dong-eun dreamed of being one before being consumed by revenge. Go is all about “building territories”, she explains to Do-yoon, a real estate tycoon, when she admits to him that she learned the game to approach him, and to herself that she fell in love with it along the way. Try as she might, that old architecture dream has not completely crumbled.

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/k-pop/k-drama/article/3205800/netflix-k-drama-review-glory-song-hye-kyo-plays-bullying-victim-bent-revenge-who-discovers-new

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Shimmery-summer said:

but just because she leaves their names as reason for dropping out they and their parents suddenly become super scared, and go extremes to change the reasoning. I wonder why they were so scared when they didn't even fear law.

They don’t want it to be recorded in their academic report. That will affect their future schooling and society standing. They’re not afraid of the police because they already have them on their side, but apparently, not the people from education field/ministry yet. 

• Like 4

img.gif

img.gif

c as labeled

NEWS

Posted by Sophie-Ha   1 hour ago

"What have I been doing until now?" Song Hye Kyo responds to the praise about her acting transformation in 'The Glory'

AKP STAFF

Spoiler

1673045617-the-glory-commentary-reaction-5-16-screenshot.png

Song Hye Kyo responded to the latest praise about her acting transformation and improvement in the Netflix drama 'The Glory.'

Netflix Korea released the 'Commentary & Reaction' video for the hit series 'The Glory' on its official YouTube channel, where the cast and writer Kim Eun Sook shared their thoughts on the drama.

On this day, director Ahn Gil Ho, writer Kim Eun Sook, and cast members Song Hye Kyo, Lim Ji Yeon, Lee Do Hyun, and Yeom Hye Ran gathered together and shared some of the behind-the-scenes stories while filming 'The Glory.'

Writer Kim Eun Sook revealed why she decided to write the screenplay in the first person narrative with Moon Dong Eun (played by Song Hye Kyo) writing the letters to the persecutor Park Yeon Jin (played by Lim Ji Yeon). She explained, "I wanted to really express how the scars in her heart weren't healed. Also, it's a record of the 17 years of preparing for revenge so I chose to tell the story in a letter format."

Song Hye Kyo also spoke about the praise received for her acting through this drama. Song Hye Kyo first explained, "When I read the script about the scene when Moon Dong Eun first appears in front of Park Yeon Jin and the perpetrators again, I didn't know the level (of how crazy) I should act because the script just said 'like a crazy b***h.' So, I acted with the degree I had in mind, but the director asked me to 'act more like a crazy b***h.' That's when the intensity kept increasing."

When asked how she felt when she received praise for her acting transformation, Song Hye Kyo responded, "I felt a little bad. I wondered what I had been doing until now. I realized I hadn't been showing the viewers this side of me until now, and that I should work harder."

Writer Kim Eun Sook also praised Song Hye Kyo's efforts she put in while filming. She brought up the scene when Moon Dae Eun shows Ju Yeo Jeong her scars. Kim Eun Sook shared, "So when we offered the role to Hye Kyo, I told her that I really needed that scene but it might be uncomfortable for her. So I asked her 'would that be okay?' And she responded, 'Unnie give me two months.' So I thought she would work out but she told me 'No, I have to lose more weight."

Spoiler

1673047149-image.png

The writer continued to share, "She wanted to look emaciated and small instead of looking pretty in that scene. And she really did it." Kim Eun Sook shared that Song Hye Kyo lost weight by eating konjac rice and added, "I was so grateful for her efforts and also felt bad. So it really made me tear up when I saw the completed scene."

Song Hye Kyo added, "I thought I shouldn't look pretty in that scene. Firstly, after I got the role of Dong Eun, I didn't think of looking pretty at all. She's a character that didn't have the time or energy to take care of her appearance like that. At some point, I thought she wasn't caring about herself too much even as a person but I thought that's how Dong Eun would be. So I really didn't care of these things in this drama."

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

They don’t want it to be recorded in their academic report. That will affect their future schooling and society standing. They’re not afraid of the police because they already have them on their side, but apparently, not the people from education field/ministry yet. 

Thanks a lot dear. Can I ask more? So like when a student has engaged in a bad incident their teacher will record it in their academic record, so I understand till this part, but when another student has stated in her drop out form specific students as a reason for dropping out, what next procedure school will follow that it will go to those deliquents school records and how will higher education ministry will find out about it. I actually didn't understand this part and also that could parents not bribe school teachers (as they all are corrupt) to switch or alter the student drop out forms or something like this. I am so sorry for asking so many questions, you can ignore if you find it annoying lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shimmery-summer said:

Can I ask more? So like when a student has engaged in a bad incident their teacher will record it in their academic record, so I understand till this part, but when another student has stated in her drop out form specific students as a reason for dropping out, what next procedure school will follow that it will go to those deliquents school records and how will higher education ministry will find out about it.

Usually, if there's a case of bullying, a panel will be called to investigate and determine the punishment. Just having to attend the panel/hearing will be recorded and most people will try to avoid even this step. They don't want to even attend this meeting. It's like a serious matter. (I know all these from watching kdramas on school bullying, lol). I know in some countries (SKor included), school-aged children whereabouts have to be accounted for, and they have to go to schools based on districts they live in.  If not in this school, then there should be a record of where/why the students are in different school. 

In this drama, what I understand and assume is that the parents only have a hold on the gym teacher (maybe he is also their homeroom teacher) and the form submitted by DE was going to go to the principal as well, but intercepted by that teacher (who hit DE). Later on, the parents of PYJ get DE's mother to rewrite the form and sign it in exchange for money. Her signature as a parent naturally carries more weight than DE's. So DE failed in getting these kids reported. 

2 hours ago, Shimmery-summer said:

I am so sorry for asking so many questions,

No problem at all. Happy to help :) This is what the forum is for.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

“The Glory” Responds To Reports About Part 2 Release Date

“The Glory” Responds To Reports About Part 2 Release Date

“The Glory” has responded to reports about the release date for the drama’s upcoming second part.

On January 6, a Chinese media outlet reported that Part 2 of “The Glory” was set to be released on March 10. However, while the title read March 10, the article itself stated March 20, throwing readers into confusion.

In response to such reports and viewers’ confusion, a representative of Netflix commented, “The release date for Part 2 has not yet been decided,” adding that the release date will be separately announced when confirmed.

“The Glory” tells the story of a former victim of brutal school violence who swears revenge on her bullies after becoming the elementary school homeroom teacher of her bully’s kid. Song Hye Kyo, who previously worked together with “The Glory” writer Kim Eun Sook on the hit drama “Descendants of the Sun,” stars as the vengeful protagonist Moon Dong Eun, while Lee Do Hyun plays the complicated male lead Joo Yeo Jung. The drama also stars Yeom Hye Ran, Lim Ji Yeon, Park Sung Hoon, Kim Hieora, Cha Joo Young, and more.

After the release of Part 1 on December 30, “The Glory” recorded over 25.4 million hours of viewership worldwide in just three days. The drama also ranked in the Top 10 charts of 19 different countries including Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia, Kuwait, Singapore, Morocco, and Hong Kong.

To follow up the eight episodes of Part 1, “The Glory” Part 2 will be released sometime in March.

“The Glory” Responds To Reports About Part 2 Release Date | Soompi

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Learry said:

The writer continued to share, "She wanted to look emaciated and small instead of looking pretty in that scene. And she really did it." Kim Eun Sook shared that Song Hye Kyo lost weight by eating konjac rice and added, "I was so grateful for her efforts and also felt bad. So it really made me tear up when I saw the completed scene."

Song Hye Kyo added, "I thought I shouldn't look pretty in that scene. Firstly, after I got the role of Dong Eun, I didn't think of looking pretty at all. She's a character that didn't have the time or energy to take care of her appearance like that. At some point, I thought she wasn't caring about herself too much even as a person but I thought that's how Dong Eun would be. So I really didn't care of these things in this drama."

Thanks @Learry  That is what I have been saying all these while.  That Song Hye Kyo is not supposed to look beautiful in this Drama.  It may be in the Script.  Or it is the Director's choice.

A lot of viewers commented that she looks "old".   Of course she has aged a bit.  It is only natural.  But she still looks Gorgeous and not  that bad in real life.  So I concluded that it is by Choice.  And it looks like I may be correct.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Usually, if there's a case of bullying, a panel will be called to investigate and determine the punishment. Just having to attend the panel/hearing will be recorded and most people will try to avoid even this step. They don't want to even attend this meeting. It's like a serious matter. (I know all these from watching kdramas on school bullying, lol). I know in some countries (SKor included), school-aged children whereabouts have to be accounted for, and they have to go to schools based on districts they live in.  If not in this school, then there should be a record of where/why the students are in different school. 

In this drama, what I understand and assume is that the parents only have a hold on the gym teacher (maybe he is also their homeroom teacher) and the form submitted by DE was going to go to the principal as well, but intercepted by that teacher (who hit DE). Later on, the parents of PYJ get DE's mother to rewrite the form and sign it in exchange for money. Her signature as a parent naturally carries more weight than DE's. So DE failed in getting these kids reported. 

No problem at all. Happy to help :) This is what the forum is for.

Thank you, was very informative :). It seems system to curb bullying isn't that bad but is manipulated.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

There are similarities between The Glory's storyline and Eve's. A young woman seeking revenge on a woman who was totally devoid of conscience, daughter of an extremely rich and powerful chaebol, she got away with murder. Her husband was lured by the young woman, they fell in love, the obnoxious wife went crazy, he drove off into a ravine with his wife to protect Eve. There was a totally loyal congressman. 

DE's revenge uses Go to approach the husband while Eve uses the Tango. She connects with the couple through teaching their little girl dancing. Here DE is her kindy teacher.  I think there will be a lot of Eve-similarities in the second half. The young doctor is going to be the devoted friend who wants to be more. She'll most likely fall in love with the husband. Perhaps becomes his mistress and drives the bully crazy as in Eve. Eve is shown to have vulnerabilities, I think her father was killed - can't remember. DE is almost psychotic. Eve survives after witnessing the horror of the accident. DE may die. Kdrama usually punishes the characters for killing  another person deliberately even if that person is the target of the revenge. She has also contributed to the teacher's death. At the very least, she may be imprisoned for some crime. She then repents. It seems to be the Korean culture; to be redeemed before dying is amust. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1