Halloween: The scariest dramas and movies - BOO!

partyon

Scary dramas and movies - BOO!  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which dramas do you find the scariest (or like the most if you don't find them scary)? (Choose up to 4)

2. 2. Which dramas do you like the most? (Choose up to 4)

• Master's Sun
    • Black
    • Zombie Detective
    • Hwayugi - A Korean Odyssey
    • Hotel Del Luna
    • Bring It On Ghost
    • Arang and The Magistrate
    • I Remember You / Hello Monster
    • Lovely Horribly
    • Bride of the Century
    • Blood
    • Nightwatchman's Journey
    • The Scholar Who Walks the Night
    • Who Are You?
    • Missing Nine
    • Goblin
    • Flower of Evil
    • Mirror of the Witch
    • Oh My Ghost
  3. 3. Which movies do you like the most or find the scariest? (Choose up to 4)

• Gonjinam: Haunted Asylum
    • Death Bell
    • A Tale of Two Sisters
    • The Wailing
    • Train to Busan
    • The Mimic
    • Divine Fury
    • The Closet
    • Rampant
    • The Phone
    • Silenced (The Crucible)
    • I Saw The Devil
    • Detective K: Secret of the Living Dead
    • Spellbound
    • #Alive
    • Peninsula
    • Ghost Sweepers
    • Horror Stories (stars Ms. Koko's oppa)
    • Forgotten
    • None of the above - I haven't watched any of the movies in the poll

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/26/2020 at 08:00 AM

17 minutes ago, kdramagrandma said:

I hope I do answer your questions and it is not just empty rant. 

no, what you wrote makes complete sense. in my place, when people change suddenly for the worse or have anger meltdowns, we literally say "what's wrong with him? did he get possessed by a ghost?" --  so that is part of our everyday kind of language... so it is always interesting to see how cultural/religious beliefs shape the horror dramas/movies...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Lmangla well Turkish horror movies are very different from the Hollywood movies. I cannot describe completely how they are different because you have to watch it to know that. Don't worry just 1 good Turkish horror movie will be enough. Lol.

The whole atmosphere, the direction, the music, the intensity all is very different. 

I feel non Turkish movies somehow show the devil and spirits weak which is not the case with Turkish movies. They depict them very powerful. Which I believe how it should be . Because these devil beings are no joke. They also have rare jumpscare scenes.

Now how the religious & culture beliefs shape them and make more relatable ....well those Turkish movies rarely use term Devil( commonly used in Hollywood movies) but they call them Jin. Which is more relatable to me. Because all the Muslims call them Jin not devil. Of course we believe in devil but for us jins and devil are two different beings. Devil is the biggest Jin and all the other evil jins are his servant.

They usually centers around black magic. 

As I fully believe in jins & black magic so movies feel  more relatable to me. 

For example it is widely believed in Muslim community that jins are shape shifter . But no matter which shape they adopt you can always identify them by looking at there foot as there foot are backwards. This exact same belief I saw in a Turkish movie where a girl wakes up & finds that her brother in law & sister are in the drawing room drinking & chatting but she knew that they were actually out of home so when she looks down on their foot ....bam they were backwards . Ah this scene hit very close to home , I have never seen anything like that in the hundreds of Hollywood movies that I have watched , quite understandable because they are not made by Muslims , they are not made for Muslims.

1 hour ago, kdramagrandma said:

am not the OP but for me religion does give tons of impact on my experience with horror movies I watched. In my religion, we do believe that there are other things living among us that able to see us but invisible to human eyes except for some. I did watched Turkish horror movies (Siccin) before and it hits hard compare to the west horror movies because of the specific term used, the dark practices that people do and the after effect of every action seems linear to my religion belief. In my religion teaching, we should never rely on the invisibles because God did create them to mislead us, and there are grave consequences if we do ask them for help. I guess it does apply to other religion but the different in nuances and terms used did shaped the story differently. Other than Siccin, I did watched Malaysia horror movie, Munafik and the movie break numerous record because the story shaped heavily on the culture and religion belief for most of Malaysian. I did end up liking it despite of my prejudice on Malaysia horror movie because rather than focusing on scaring me, it made me think and questions my core belief. I hope I do answer your questions and it is not just empty rant. :sweatingbullets:

I read this post after posting my answer to @Lmangla question. So I am here again. I fully agree what is written in the above post. Moreover I want to add that religious belief  and practices impact a lot even if they are not scary in a scary movie for example in many Turkish movies they show a funeral parlor scene where a dead body is being bathed and wrapped for the final destination ......,the grave. Now this apparently is not scary but it creeps me out because I know one day I have to die and will be bathed & wrapped & send to my grave. So it creeps me being a reality. Now in Hollywood horrors they don't show such scenes in details rather just show coffins and graveyard.which make it less almost totally void of fear for me atleast.  Also it is not relatable to me because Muslims do not put there dead ones in coffins but just put them directly in the grave. And there graves are not underground but rather on the surface of the ground.

Thank you @cafe99 for recommending 'Children of nobody', I added it to my list, it seems interesting!

My favourite scary Korean movies would be probably 'A tale of two sisters' and even though it's not a horror movie, I really enjoyed 'Princess Aurora' from 2005 and I recommend it to you all if you haven't seen it yet!

hai everyone..
a special thanks to the lovely @partyon  @Lmangla tagged me in this topic Halloween: The scariest dramas and movies-(BOO) poll. :D  I absolutely watched the horror dramas and films. it was very exciting and I couldn't stop watching horror dramas and films simply because it's entertaining. from my point of view, strangers from hell is a horror korean drama and it's more of a psychological thriller. this is a highly recommended drama. seriously, this is a scary movie come along with great acting from the brilliant and talented casts. besides that, well-known as fan-favorite is train to busan horror korean movie whereby this korean zombie thriller follows a father and his young daughter as they try to fight off the undead on a high-speed train. I personally think, this horror korean movie involve a lot of thought, action and bravery and I consider it a must watch for zombie fans. I feel like I don't want to talk much more and keep quiet..  :D

let's watch a scary movie :ok:

:wut:    :popcornjackson:

I have to agree with @JJS's Fan-atics and I do share the same thoughts. Most horror movies feel shallow to me because I do not know the root of the story. It is not something I grow up with so it is hard for me to get into the storyline. Jumpscares do not work because it is predictable. I can't remember which Hollywood movie, but it gets high rating among critics but I leave the theatre feeling disappointed because I can't get into the storyline due to a lot of attempt of jumpscares that I can fully expecting that take away the story. However, watching horror movies with storyline ingrained with my culture/religious beliefs hit differently because I can acknowledge that there is a possibility it might happen to me. 

@JJS's Fan-atics ~ thanks, I got an idea of what to expect if I ever watch a turkish horror movie.. yea, I am familiar with the concept of jin as we had friends from the muslim community. it is why I always found the disney version of aladdin rather strange because in our local re-telling, the jin wasn't some funny creature that made jokes and was benign. instead, aladdin was in a rather precarious position of having to negotiate with a jin (or genie in english) and not sure how anything will turn out.. so very different story in terms of theme and tone. :sweatingbullets:

579039f85a7f46d3a17c951cca9543889cf3b95f

5 hours ago, cafe99 said:

All the choices are good, so it's a dificult decision! For me there were not only the scary/supernatural factor, but the psychological terror too, that's why i choosed (among other dramas) "CHILDREN OF NOBODY"...

The fear it's in the stuff we don't know, but also in the things we suspect being true and those, once confirmed and unraveled with all that's behind that, THAT truth turns into horror and the true nightmare is unleashed... That's why this drama is one of the best, it doesn't need the supernatural factor to get inside your bones and chill your spine, nope... sometimes reality can be scary/horrifying/hideous than fiction.

Agree 100% with you! I absolutely adored Children of Nobody. It's one of the best Korean psychological thriller dramas out there. I would rate it even a bit higher than Nobody Knows.

I watched it back when it aired, and the thread here on Soompi was full of theories and guesses. It was good fun.

I actually wish they would make more psychological thrillers like this! :kiss_wink:

3 hours ago, ptr12 said:

Thank you @cafe99 for recommending 'Children of nobody', I added it to my list, it seems interesting!

Definitely watch it! I would like to recommend it to my dongsaeng @Sleepy Owl as well :dorashakes:

20 minutes ago, partyon said:

Agree 100% with you! I absolutely adored Children of Nobody. It's one of the best Korean psychological thriller dramas out there. I would rate it even a bit higher than Nobody Knows.

I watched it back when it aired, and the thread here on Soompi was full of theories and guesses. It was good fun.

I actually wish they would make more psychological thrillers like this! :kiss_wink:

Definitely watch it! I would like to recommend it to my dongsaeng @Sleepy Owl as well 

Sure Noona, I will give it a try very soon, maybe when I'll be done with "Chief of Staff" which I'll start next Friday. 

@JJS's Fan-atics I'd love it if you would recommend some good Turkish horror movies. :approves:

23 hours ago, partyon said:

Sorry @supergal99 for not including it

:dizzy: opsss... i didnt mean to make u hide in that that... box of shame. Mian-ne-oh!! To show my sincere apologies, I am sending this to u - so quickly pali come out of that that box ya? :grimace:

Spoiler

B9xX.gif

Hope u will cherish this errr... 'Cutie' ya - itz a special collectible. Wahhh... cost me USD400 at https://thenecastore.com/collections/toys/products/preorder-bride-of-chucky-1-1-replica-life-size-chucky?variant=29459399868525

Special features:

“Right hands can hold things.” ( eg. Hammer)

“you can move the eyes all around to look at you or scare others.”

Oh your 'MC Hammer'  gif **phewweeet**! original_19.png

Oh wait ... chakamannn - u should send it to our Zoombie Oppa...hahahahaa

>>> Play song "Can't Touch This":

Spoiler

20201025_162230.jpg

20201025_171530.gif

:tounge_xd: opsss...

ok ok enough teasing u. Since u like comedies, i recommend u this kdrama called "Mystic Popup Bar". Supernatural themed but it is very funny. It has only 12 episodes so completing it should be a Child's Play...hehheeee...

:)Teaser not spoiler :)

Thanks for the tag @partyon! polls are so fun:ilike:

1. Which dramas do you find the scariest (or like the most if you don't find them scary)?

loved Kingdommmmm. couldn't stop and binged both the seasons in a couple of nights! Who is pumped for the third season?! (thank goodness they've confirmed this!!!)

2. Which dramas do you like the most?
Hotel Del Luna cos I loved IU and her outfits in it HAHAHA:sparklyeyes:

Goblin cos the bromance, main couple and 2nd couples were all super cuteee.

3. Which movies do you like the most or find the scariest?

A Tale of Two Sisters - good plot.

Train to Busan - gem of a zombie movie. got so attached to all the characters. :tears: had tears fall more than once too.

Rampant cos hyunbin :P

I love zombie movies but surprisingly I wasn't a huge fan of #alive...:ph34r:

I love love love horror. Yay for everyone's discussion on horror movies!! It can be hard to find a good horror movie but feels great when you discover a gem. There are a few mixed reviews based on ppl's responses here, but Insidious, Sinister and The Conjuring are definitely up there in my favs. I had never even heard of the concept of 'astral projecting' until Insidious tbh and just that made it so interesting and original to me.
One of my all time favourites and is underrated in my opinion is The Descent - it's about a group of friends who go caving! Definitely recommend hehe but has made me fear caving lol.

This is likely an unpopular opinion but despite the gore, the first couple of Saw movies actually had a great plot... I also recently watched The Boy (I'm a fan of Lauren Cohan from Walking Dead hehe) and was pleasantly surprised!

I hatedddd the Paranormal Activity series -_- I fell asleep during the first movie while trying to watch it... TWICE.

I can go on forever so I'll stop myself here.

29 minutes ago, JJS's Fan-atics said:

@Sleepy Owlsiccini all 4 parts. 

Azem first part

Debbie all parts ( I personally don't like them but they are very liked by other viewers)

For now these are all I can remember by name .

Thanks for the recommendations Chingu :heartxoxo:

I have already read about the concept of Jinns. To think that there are countless invisible beings around with more power than humans in terms of physical strength and also shape shifting abilities sure is something terrifying. So I can see how they can be used in horror movies.

I saw one Persian Movie which my friend's sister had recommended us. Back then we 3 friends were searching all good horror movies (usually English) and watching them for almost 1-2 weeks daily one. The movie she recommended was "Under The Shadow" and was based on Jinns too, but it was not that scary. I'll check out the ones you recommended. 

As I said above too, the fact that ghosts do exist or not can is a debatable topic for many people who don't really believe in them. But Jinns are different, especially for Muslims because I think all Muslims believe in their existence. So I am sure it would ten fold scary for them to see Jinns possessing humans (which I have heard does happen), than seeing ghosts in other movies. 

By the way I wanted to ask, are Jinns and Demons the same or not? Since we've got many demons who are being mentioned in The Bible, and they also possess humans. I have read even Jinns are being mentioned in Quran, and even though as you said we've got the good ones and bad ones, can we count bad jinn and a demon the same or not? 

From Ghost Detective, the girl in red is a nightmare :dizzy::scream::skull:

Oh I forgot about this! The name Ghost Detective didn’t ring a bell until I saw this. Can I change my vote? I guess not .. 

It's already bed time for me but not gonna miss my oppa's scary drama ever. I am never a fan of horror genre but he made me watch it for sure! Sexy in red eyes. :D I think it's not really the lady in red is scary! It's all about VFX.. Ha ha ha! :joy: Just kidding.. I was totally addicted to The Ghost Detective when it was airing in 2018!! And somehow I never had nightmares when I watch it surprisingly!!! 

Ahhh.. love this 

Btw I love The Guest, and Black. But why isn’t Missing : The Other Side on the list? It is not scary but it has supernatural elements too. I will definitely vote for this. 

1 hour ago, Sleepy Owl said:

By the way I wanted to ask, are Jinns and Demons the same or not? Since we've got many demons who are being mentioned in The Bible, and they also possess humans. I have read even Jinns are being mentioned in Quran, and even though as you said we've got the good ones and bad ones, can we count bad jinn and a demon the same or not? 

Yes demons and evil jins are the same. I don't know about Bible but from the hundreds of Hollywood movies that I watched this is my understanding after watching their characteristics that demons and evil jins are basically the same but with different names.

13 minutes ago, JJS's Fan-atics said:

Yes demons and evil jins are the same. I don't know about Bible but from the hundreds of Hollywood movies that I watched this is my understanding after watching their characteristics that demons and evil jins are basically the same but with different names.

They could be same, but I think Jinns are more accessible on paper. :rubchin:

I remember renting a room in an 80 years old house during my college days for almost 2 years. That room was connected to the main house, but you could enter it from the main yard without needing to enter the main house, so it was put on rent.

Anyway, no one lived in the main house, since the owners were abroad, and I was there with the care-taker and his family living in their quarter in the corner of the main yard and another student living in the room in front of mine. 

I used to get teased by a lot friends on living in a haunted house and some of my friends would say "haunted or not, the house is old enough for Jinns to lurk around in it". It is not something we hear about demons, so maybe Jinns are more in numbers :joy:.

Anyway, there was nothing wrong with the house and my room though, since I watched a lot of horror dramas/movies in it and never felt scared anytime while living there. 

20 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

used to get teased by a lot friends on living in a haunted house and some of my friends would say "haunted or not, the house is old enough for Jinns to lurk around in it". It is not something we hear about demons, so maybe Jinns are more in numbers :joy:.

Yes your conclusion is 100% correct. 

1. They tend to make long term empty places their house. Why? Because they need privacy and silence just like us.

2. They are plenty in numbers. So much so that if we can watch each other we would be bumping into each other all the time. Because we would not have enough room to move freely.

12 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Can I just say this question just make me realize how rusty my English and religion knowledge that I literally Google everything just to brush up my memory. I did learn about religions years back in my main language so it is hard for me to associate the different in term used.

Just like @JJS's Fan-aticsmention, I think it is right to assume that bad Jinns in Quran are equivalent to Demons in the Bible. I will just chime in some context based on what I know.

Based on Islamic teaching, Allah (the God) created Jinns (from fire) and Human (from clay) to worship and obey only Him. Allah ask the Devil (made from fire) to bow down to the first human created which was Adam, but the Devil refused and he promises to mislead Human and Jinns to go against Allah until the end of the day. Hence, Allah shunned him out from the heaven (which I assume this is the origin of the fallen angel but Muslims never associate the Devil as an angel as he is made of fire while angels are made from light). As the Devil came down to Earth, he did and still doing until now what he promises which is to entice Human and Jinns away from Allah. Jinns that have then enticed by the Devil are called as Demons. However, in Arabic Islamic scripture that has been translated into my main language, it also mention that Human that has been enticed by the Devil also can referred as Demons because being Demons are associated with the same in behavior/direction which is going against Allah. In a sense, both Human and Jinns can be Demons. Or if I want to be exact, the term I learnt was Shaytans instead of  Demons.

Jinns were created and has been living on the Earth long way before Adam was created. As Adam has been shunned from Heaven to the Earth for disobeying Allah's order, Allah made Jinns invisible on human eyes. My interpretation, this is why we have different type of ghosts because Human never know the true form of Jinns and why Jinns are known as shape-shifter. It was also mention in Quran that the only human that can rule Jinns was Prophet Solomon a.s. I heard before that Aladdin was a very loose interpretation of Prophet Solomon a.s but I never did any further readings into it because I tend to detach work of fiction  with proven fact to not further confuses my brain.

I tried my best to explain my interpretation about Jinns and Demons and how it can be so different depended on the origin, the term/language used and interpretation of the religion. Who would have thought I will be typing about this in a Halloween event thread. I just hope that this does not make things too serious and provided some context for those who are interested. :)

thanks @kdramagrandma for the context; I was reading on the Turkish films @JJS's Fan-atics had mentioned and the director had said that vampires and wolfs don't make much sense to the local audience as it is not part of their culture. so there is no real fear factor and more like watching a costume drama. :sweatingbullets:kekekek... so yea, when it is part of the culture, then it does feel more scary..

Archived