[Drama 2020/2021] Phoenix / The Firebird, 불새

0ly40

still rooting for JM, ep 59 was hot :love: 

lol "Stop looking at me and just kiss me" and the Jenga blocks scene

I'd want to root for SH too but the writer doesn't even give him that much screen time/any good scenes with the FL. Watched the original 2004 version but Eric Mun's JM was meh, didn't really care about his character compared to Seo Ha Joon's. I liked older MR more she was creepier than Park Young Rin here (like with that broken aquarium scene) now I wonder if this drama will have a different ending or stick to the original one.. That OST song His Love for You - Shin Jae Hong is my favourite song now I keep listening to it! 

• Like 3

@crystaltears ~ am expecting a totally different ending. the characters are quite different. ji eun is only a little more tolerable and less self-destructive than miran. most of the times, she comes across as a mean selfish manipulative witch.  can you tell I can't stand her and see her as a villain? sae hoon is okay but like you said, he barely gets screen time and it looks like he will get killed off anyway. jung min and ji eun mostly tick me off with their selfishness. even miran doesn't annoy me as much because she know she is psycho and she owns she is bad. jung min, ji eun and her family act like they are darlings when they are not. ugh.

sae hoon has  a heart problem whereas he was absolutely healthy in the original. in the original, it was much as his story as ji eun and the failure of their love story wasn't because of a clash of ethics. it was because neither knew how to handle financial troubles and life problems together as a team. they didn't know how to communicate. I liked both their characters in the original even when they were immature, there was a kind of innocence to them. I even liked jung min in that version too because he wasn't arrogant, just hurting over the death of his brother and a bit lost in life. again, a kind of innocence in the original version.

in this version, both ji eun and sae hoon are miles apart on what they think is acceptable. ji eun hates sae hoon and blames him for all her troubles like selfish whiny brat but thinks the actions of people like her dad chairman and jung min are acceptable because thats what happens in business. eye roll. this drama feels very cynical, dark -- ji eun's basic view is the way of the world is stupid but thats fine because being ethical is a waste of time. a total contrast from sae hoon but even he is now getting darker...

so very different versions and am expecting the second half of the drama to go off in different direction. in the original, the chairman didn't die till the end and the stepmom didn't have some secret agenda. would have dropped the drama if I had to watch for the triangle because I can't stand ji eun or jung min. this a drama where I am not watching for the main leads at all. am watching for the stepmom only to see what she is going to do and what happens to nakyung..

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

4 hours ago, joccu said:

well new characters. don't know what to feel about the aunt and her son but will see. 

I'm interested to see how the stepmom story goes from here on. 

without the chairman to create havoc, the drama needs some new characters to keep the story going. it is weird to see them show up in the middle of the story though. not sure if the writer is trying to make the viewers root for jung min but this looks more like a mad soap opera.

the aunt's slap was rather daebak! plus, it looks like she got screwed over by chairman herself and so sees it as her right to try take back what is hers. chairman seems to have made enemies everywhere. what he said to stepmom was really nasty. no wonder she felt like just meeting the truck of doom. not sure how I feel about him dying so quickly. it is like he won but he also lost. everyone he loved hated him, he is left to cry in a room alone insisting he is right and then has an accident and dies. it felt so random and pointless. this drama feels so dark in that way. no real satisfaction here. plus, he brought a certain energy to the drama that made you want to keep watching. not sure if this aunt and cousin will be able to bring that. lets see. otherwise, we can just drop the drama. :sweatingbullets:

1 hour ago, foreverempress said:

The writer really changed her entire drama because of the actors. She hates Sae Hoon and is going out of her way to compliment Jung Min. She is even giving Sae Hoon amnesia??? WTH???

yea it almost seems like sae hoon is actually the second lead for the time and story he gets. very strange. <_<

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

I honestly don't know where this drama is heading.

We are going circles. 

nobody trust no one.

today's episode was blah.  

SH deliriums are going make huge mistakes. How someone with this huge health problem can still be in charge.?

• Like 3

finally caught up on the last few episodes. so sae hoon and miran make peace which was the most interesting bit of the last 3 episodes. sae hoon has gone from hating ji eun and putting all the blame on himself. shaking my head at this. either he is suffering from delirium or the writer seems to think that ji eun is faultless. eye roll. now that miran knows how he is, guess she will stop being so clingy. but if she is now his ally, what does that mean?

1 hour ago, joccu said:

I honestly don't know where this drama is heading.

We are going circles. 

nobody trust no one.

100% it feels like the writer doesn't know what to do with the drama and so we keep going on and on about this succession stuff and jung min boredom. the two lovers need to get out of this toxic relationship and move on. do people care about this ji-eun and jung min romance? we can't be the only ones bored right? was rolling my eyes at ji eun's supposed broken heart. she is ruthless enough to take a deal and now regrets it? oh please. theirs is the flakiest love story. eye roll. wish the writer would stop trying to sell this love story over and over. we don't care. ugh.

1 hour ago, joccu said:

today's episode was blah.  

SH deliriums are going make huge mistakes. How someone with this huge health problem can still be in charge.?

yea, he should quit but it seems that despite his illness, he is a better leader than jung min who is running in circles. feels like the writer does not know what to do with sae hoon's character and he is now like this weird second lead with nothing to do. wasn't he supposed to be the main lead?....

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

@Lmangla I think that the writer greatly favors the actor that plays Jung Min which is why I believe we are suffering now. She made a big error killing the father off so soon, but she did that likely to bring Jung Min more to the forefront. Sae Hoon was a competent man in the original. We still don't know the story of how he made his business in the US, etc. Jung Min was jealous of him, but for what reason does he have to be jealous of him now?

The writer now has Ji Eun pitying Sae Hoon. WTH? Sae Hoon taking the blame? This Sae Hoon was more of a wimp because he gave in, moved with her family, and gave up his business to work for her family business, etc. 

This drama never had enough material to stretch it out.

I think I will drop this drama after this week and come back on the last episode for Sae Hoon's memorial and to see that wretched coupling of Jung Min & Ji Eun ride off into the sunset.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1