[Drama 2020] Tell Me What You Saw, 본대로 말하라

Prettysup

6 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Which one you are referring to? This one is Kim Sang Hoon, the co-director of Voice, and the main director of TMWYS.

The main director of Voice is Kim Hong san and he looks like this

In the pictures we see mainly the first guy you posted, the main director of TMWYS. It's the same guy from the press conference. That is who I mean.

I have to say, now that the show has ended, even though I enjoyed it, I'm ready to move on. If there is indeed a second season, it needs to be a prequel for me to be interested, and they have to have different writers. Writers that would be able to focus on one main character- OHJ, and delve into this very complex character with sensitivity - as even at the end of the show we still don't know- who the hell is this guy! Also, I need a production team that pays more attention to details, like not having OHJ looks exactly the same for 20 yrs, and not using pictures in the show that are clearly promotional pictures whose existence in the world of the show make no sense, things like that...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sushimi said:

Yes, agreed. I was pretty upset that they dismissed the fact that 20 years ago, he looks the same..like they made the 5 years ago look different, so why can’t 20 years ago be different too? They can be as simple as tying up the hair. Sigh, sad that they missed it.

Yeah they could have filmed that scene last and make JH cut his hair.

• Like 2
  • Unamused 2
  • LOL 2

45 minutes ago, Sushimi said:

Yes, agreed. I was pretty upset that they dismissed the fact that 20 years ago, he looks the same..like they made the 5 years ago look different, so why can’t 20 years ago be different too? They can be as simple as tying up the hair. Sigh, sad that they missed it.

Exactly! A simple pony tail and a change of clothes! that's all that was needed

45 minutes ago, Sushimi said:

Which one? :sweatingbullets:

The pictures on the first killer's wall. There were pictures there of OHJ AFTER the accident with the scars on his face and on a chair if I'm not mistaken. Considering he didn't know where JH was, how could he have those pictures?! 

Final farewell...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Yeah they could have filmed that scene last and make JH cut his hair.

OR AT least have another style in his hair even without cutting it 

like how they made the different between him now and 5 years ago ( we can accept then that he one long hair and face style man )

okay let forgive them they was filming in the hard times with what going on the world now we lucky they mange to finish all the filming so much other drama had to take  breaks and  do plot changing to keep filming 

and it not other drama  that airing now didnt have the same hair style for the lead from 15 years ago  not even age different shown 

6 hours ago, hubilai said:

The drama was sooo interesting and perfect. Made me realize why I watch Jang Hyuk's dramas without hesitation.

Also discovered lots of great actors through the drama. Especially Jin Seo Yeon.:w00t::w00t:

jan hyuk one of my top  FAV  world actors list i have other  few that on this list that  can be on his level like   Ji Sung and few others- cant forgot anyone from them  ( some actors just so amazing that make others look like children playing in school play ) 

this few top on my list  i know that no matter what roles they took or kind of drama they will rock it but i have mt own style in dramas so i don't watch all their works ( and i have no time sadly )

but sure i watch  most of JAN hyuk WORKS ( THE OLD ONE MORE TOO) and he great at any role and no matter what level the drama is his roles leave special affect in high level :heart: ( i didn''t watch his works that was aired between  voice 1 and beautiful  mind and tell me what you saw )

• Like 7

i will write a final review of the drama 

as i write before the main point in this drama was the choices of life and what you choice to be 

but there other important point that explain the title of the drama "tell me what you saw"  which they keep tell the end  from this three characters 

OHJ:

• from the start of the drama he  can see very well with his eyes and with his mind , he can see the human really reasons and motive he can get into their mind and read  behind what is shown to others , he can read people and  figure out their thinking more then most of the people to the point it scary.

•  but he blind more then any human being too, he cant understand the human feeling , he can't understand the weakness he see in them , the pain, the empathy  and what worst he can't even understand his own feeling or deal with them, he can make fun about human seeing what they want  or talk big about others but he clueless  when it come to his own feeling and acting .

• he was totally blind all his life on that side of life that why he never care why ? and for what reason crime happen , it just happen ,that why he never understand how much it hard to deal with the aftermath of crime for victims and family and even the criminals.

the accident and his own lose teach him to look and care for this things he feel them now and know how much they can break someone no matter how strong he is , but he still blind can't understand them ( he know they exist but cant understanding how to deal with them ) that when "tell me what you saw"  come with him need to see things from CSY eyes 

CSY:

• from the start see could see more then most of the people she can see their feeling, pain and can totally empathy with them, even when they bad or evil . she don't see people in black and white she  doesn't have the wall to different between human being or what they can or can't have, she just see that everyone has that part of him that suffering and she just feel it . she grow up dealing with different pains and different weakness or disability  since a little age and she grow up to see that the different in human being don't stop their right to have pain and their own struggling ( she can see everyone disability and empathy with it )

• but she was blind of the true, of the darkness that can be in each person , how much people can use, lies and hide their real face since the same ability that make her see the humanity in each one made her so weak on seeing  the hard and evil's fact , she grow with so much love , pain and empathy that stop her mind  from having the tools  to see that  level  evilness and darkness so she was blind on that side too, that when "tell me what you saw"  come with her  need to see things from OHJ eyes for him to teach her see behind people faces and facts 

KYH

• from the start he could see people weakness, sins and darkness more then even they can see on themselves he hate it and enjoy it and could control people easy using that ability of him.. he want to be god since no human is immune to him, he want to see the darkness that hidden  under each person good and innocent act

• but from the start he was blind to anything human  being had beside that , from the start he was blind to his own weakness and sins he wan't to punish people for their sins and in the same time blaming others for his own sins like the victims choose and like  meeting OHJ in the past , the reason that he din't care about his father was cause he choose OHJ as twisted father figure to him and blame him for everything, KYH    "tell me what you saw" has two meaning here , how people can be when they only saw the darkness that it right in each human but they chose to see only that part of human being , and the second meaning how he was trying to see human connecting through his victims to see how much they really or have  a real family or love

• till the end KYH didn't change or choice different he had CSY with him too but he was the final road to see how people can ended if they don't see their own disability no matter how super they are on everything also 

CSY and OHJ grow by the end they both learn too see what other see on their own as much as they can and they both admit their weakness and need to learn from other,  blindness can be faced all our life but we choice to deal with it or leave it 

Edited by nona88
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

3 hours ago, nona88 said:

okay let forgive them they was filming in the hard times with what going on the world now we lucky they mange to finish all the filming so much other drama had to take  breaks and  do plot changing to keep filming 

and it not other drama  that airing now didnt have the same hair style for the lead from 15 years ago  not even age different shown 

True true, it is lucky that they can complete this drama on time during such situation, so let's not dwell on the small stuffs. Just close one eye and shut the other haha..

• Like 5

Whatever the flaws of this drama might be these past eight weeks, I went in expecting a police procedural and I got one with plenty of excitement to spare. These last two episodes like the previous few had me at the edge of my seat, wondering who would be left standing after all the carnage. I also liked how the show dealt with Man Su's death. It wasn't the gratuitous nature of his murder they focused on but on grief and loss. It was a wakeup call for HYY, the one she needed to stir her out of her fear-driven stupor.

If there's anything that I would take away from this it's the tension between the fragility of the human mind and the power of the human will. This is a timely lesson considering the panic and hysteria that has come about due to the presence of COVID-19 all around the world. We largely agree that there's a place to be sensible and take precautions but to act in fear as we've witnessed in some of our supermarkets exacerbates the problem or even creates new ones.

Sometimes we think of evil in the abstract. Or foreign to our nature. Sometimes we believe it is something that is only relevant to murderers. Until something that is beyond our control descends on us, we react and then we realise that it is very much closer to home. Fear can do that. Pride can do that too.

A person like KYH may be perceived as an anomaly... a freak of nature... a monster. Yet we hold him morally responsible for his crimes. Why? Because at least on a pragmatic level, if we don't, lawlessness ensues. People die. People live in fear. It becomes a case of might is right. What do we about the weak and vulnerable? Of course he wants moral justification. If he's born like this... then no one can blame him for what results. That's what his "big party" for OHJ is for: "You made me like this. You put the idea in my head. You are responsible for me. You made me." 

So he's Frankenstein's creature wagging an accusatory finger at his creator for the mess that's come about.

Someone like KYH is a also a test for the rest. How do you solve a problem like KYH? For his parents it was a case of abandonment and making it someone else's problem. Could he have been saved... his appetites curbed? Hard to say but it didn't seem like anyone even tried at all. He somehow managed to slip through the cracks of the system... being orphaned and then somehow finding his way into the police force which ironically became his cover and worst still, his refuge. The irony is not lost that the powers that be which run the organization, otherwise known as the police force, become a major obstacle to his capture. The very people who should have found and captured him, are as much the problem as the perpetrator himself. I don't know if the show is saying that Chief Choi or Chief Park are as bad as KYH but they are certainly morally culpable for aiding and abetting his evil deeds. Their evil is different but it has the effect of feeding other evils... whether it be KYH, whether it be HHY's need to coverup or their own coverup.

It certainly is a good metaphor for how corruption works. It doesn't start big or with blinking lights... "You are falling into corruption" It can even start with the best of intentions. Then the self-justification takes over. Before one knows it, their perception of reality is altered to fit the narrative that supports the agenda.

So what is Cha So Young's role in all of this? Why was OHJ glad that she decided to be a cop? Why did HHY tell her that she will be a good cop? SY, Ji Min and to some extent Tae-sung are the next generation... new blood that the organization needs an infusion of. More than that she brings a new way of seeing the job of the police. The organization is not supposed to a breeding ground for bureaucrats or to maintain the existing power structure. Or to play personal vendettas. It is there to help people... and save lives. That sounds banal and obvious but that's lost when fear and ego reigns. The police needs to return to its fundamentals and root out those who use it for their own purposes. Every so often, a bit of house cleaning is warranted.

It is largely true, I think that people see what they want to believe. It certainly explains why a dozen people can watch the same drama and come away with entirely different views. :D That's the recurring theme of the drama. It's worth letting that sink in. It isn't that there is no reality or facts. I don't think that is what's being advocated here. What OHJ is saying is that we have lenses or grids by which we perceive the reality in front of us. Neuroscientists or cognitive psychologists may call it schema or stories.

For instance, I said a couple of weeks ago that there was something off about him ... not just because the show keeps coming back to him but also that there's something surreal about him. He was trying too hard to come across as incompetent almost as if he was hiding something. SY because of her simplicity believed that what she saw was what it was. Sunbae portrayed himself as a bit of a buffoon and a low achiever and she bought into that. In her defence, that is part of her journey... to find that balance between trust and investigative savvy.  The reality there will always be people who aim to deceive others and we should have enough wisdom to navigate that but we shouldn't lose our ability to trust because of that.

For OHJ, this final encounter was a test of his will not to become a murderer although he was doing some seriously dodgy stuff with trying to replicate The Guy's MO as advanced torture techniques. He managed to overcome... as some might say... his baser instincts and not completely lose himself in vengeance for a loved one. For him, SY was like a candlelight in a very dark place, restoring in him some small measure of faith in humanity. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 5

1 hour ago, Sushimi said:

Anyone wonder what is the meaning to the last scene where CSY looks towards to people walking on the streets?

At first I thought the one in stripes was Jang Hyuk but he chop his hair..apparently it’s not? Do give me your insights:P

the one in the stripes make her remember OHJ , he in the same body high and moreover he walk just  like him (that strange way but pretty way of walking ) 

she though for second it him 

in short world he make her think of OHJ 

we don't know if they mean to make us think if he really OHJ ( the man CSY saw wit the same walk style  ) but  he with new hair and cloth or just it really was someone also  just make her remember him 

they made that in this way for us to guess :unamused: what sure he back whatever with the same long hair and black cloth or new style it up to our imaging and up to them to be open if they ever though of season 2 they will have the chance to choice what fit them more then .:smirk:

• Like 2

Interview with the director. He was asked about a second season, so that's good. It will put the thought into his mind... But I'm sorry- it will have to be a prequel and it will have to have better better focus that this season. Meaning, focus of OHJ and who he is... 

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/108/0002851579?lfrom=twitter

• Thanks 1