[Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

0ly40

1 hour ago, alexaze said:

From Naver TV comments.

Some are saying that they found it shows how much he cares for YS that he would do something that was impossible for him in the past.  Others are saying that it doesn't make sense that he would do that after the bad blood between him and the chairman. That he'd suddenly disregard all that for a girl. Basically that it's out of character.

Now as someone who has read the webtoon I have to admit that scene and the build up of events that lead to it were handled better there than in the drama.

I mean, if they disagree with that, then they should just read the webtoon. I think what happened after SRY kneeled pretty much closes the deal... *spoiler below*

Spoiler

If i'm not mistaken, someone mentioned this earlier: when SRY kneels, chairman Jang feels so powerful that he confesses some of his crimes, not knowing that SRY was recording the whole thing. And SRY plays the recording and threatens to leverage it against Jangga? Then it's Chairman Jang's turn to kneel and beg for mercy?

If they believe SR's kneeling just for YS is out of character, then I hope they will accept that it wasn't entirely for her and that he had an ulterior/additional motive? IDK? Or I might be mistaken...

• Like 3

Oh!! I suddenly have this thinking!

For the love one, SRY willing to kneel down hoping to ensure he is able to "protect" his love one.  DH is willing to kneel down (note, SRY wanted DH to kneel down to him instead) to "protect" Jangga.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tok-soompi said:

The controversal... Maybe it is drama and it is too fast?  It is really triggerred by:

Hide contents

SY told SRY if there is a next life, she wishes she will not born again.  she find life really difficult and wanted to die.  But after seeing him (regardless one thousand times or ten thousand times), it does not matter how many times we need to live this life again.

SRY has a very very difficult life.   But he is really lucky to have YS who is willing to support him by his side no matter how difficult it is, if she is reborn again and she will never find anything difficult as long as she is with him.  (That is why even GS realised SY has changed.  Which we all did said she changed for the better.)

So what is kneeling down compare to loosing SY.  

But i guess many people do not understand.

Plus many people dont know what will happen next

Spoiler

Jang Dae hee will also kneel and beg after that

• Insightful 2

Well, well, well so many things to talk about from various perspective.  I'm still loving the story ... and going to save some thoughts especially the ending  after watching the finale tonight.  

Guess I'm not the only one feeling so emotional especially when SR met his late father.  I've got the same question when YS was not the first person he mentioned and the unclear picture of YS.  I agree that since she's a special someone to him ... 

I'm loving the facial expression and choice of words between  SR and his father on the bridge.  At first I was wondering why the father didn't seem happy .. but the moment he said "I'm proud of you"....:bawling: ... what a satisfaction.

Credit to the owner

• Like 5
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, x75274 said:

If I was JGW and this girl who got me locked up was in front of me and was the love interest of my sworn enemy, JYS definitely would not be alive and she would be tortured and hating life so much she would want me to put her out of her misery

oh honey who hurt you? do u want some hugs? or candy?  this is just a drama..dont be too upset okay? sending u hugs anyway incase u need it.. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

My thought about why SRY cannot describe SY...

SRY is in the brim of death after the accident.  Usually this person will live depends on how much he actually wanted to live.

The drama shows that he is "enjoying" his time with his dearest dad.  Which "encourage" him to give up his life and go with him.  He vaguely able to remember YS but because he wanted to be with his dad, her is hidden by his sub conciousness.  A person that may make him wanted to live again.  He even agree with his dad that life is difficult.  But then YS interupt his time with dad when his sub concious remembers his conversation with YS and how YS ever see him, immediately knows that life is not difficult as long as she is with him.  And it renew his desire to live on even he misses his beloved dad.  There is someone he need to stay strong and live for.  His future.  His love.

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Anjalifairy said:

What message the writer wants to convey by making unchanging PSR is finally willing to kneel down to JDH

he kneel down to save a life. (that life happened to be the love of his life so ofc he would do anything)..it was different from kneeling to save his father’s job or his company.. if SR still doesnt do it bcoz of his pride or idealism or whatever, then he will be the selfish one in my eye.. 

the last convo SR had with his dad made me, my husband and my cats cried (okay exaggerated a bit) but it was so saddddd and emotional i cant deal with it.. i can truly feel their bond and the love SR has for his dad.. what a great scene! looking forward to last episode...

• Like 11

PSJ was so good in this episode. He hit all the emotional beats. SRY saying "I have a date". That hit me lol. It has a double meaning as in he has to go back to meet YS & go back to continue living. The scene with SRY & his father was beautifully done. I love their interaction about humanistic values on living. That scene when his father tells him whose his friends are & he says everyone but YS, meaning he doesnt see her as a friend but something more. That tiny snippet back to the rejection scene was a nice touch. 

The scene between SA & SRY in the hallway was good. Even though he was tired, he still the energy to finally tell SA that he likes YS. The weariness in his voice & concern in his eyes was striking. Also this scene between SA & SRY definitely parallels/reminds me of the bus stop scene. In the bus stop scene, SRY runs to SA to hold her hand & promises to make her quit & SA cries. In the hallway, SA runs out to grab his hand, telling him not to go, but he tells her that he likes YS, as in the promise he kept 4 years ago & the feeling he had for her back at the bus stop was simply not there anymore. SA then cries. Even SA knew that & everyone else but him. Definitely closure for the both of them. Long overdue lol.

That kneeling scene. Beautiful shot btw, the symmetry is on point & so is the stage design! I honestly don't know why people are so mad at this scene lol. SRY kneeling doesnt mean he's succumbed or forgive or forgetting about JDH's sh^tty ways lol. It just means he has nothing else to prove. Kneeling is a meaningless gesture now. It's up to SRY to decide what that means & it means 'nothing'. SRY has more important things to look foward to & shows that the way he lived was the right way. JDH is pretty much the loser in the end, plus hes an old geezer dying of cancer lol.  

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 3

Whoah. Just done episode 15. It's just go along with the webtoon spoilers. :lol: But it was executed much better in the drama version. 

This is why I never feel emphatic nor sympathy toward GW nor JDH. Until the end they keep going down to the lowest they shouldn't go. Using excuses to keep justifying their bad deed is so pathetic. I hold my patience not to ffd any scenes in this episodes but I lost it. Lol. They are so irritating to watch. Especially for GW. Oh this dumb and evil guy. Why would use his father to stop him? Asking his acknowledgement? With what he's doing so even makes me annoyed. If he really has the will why would ask other for that? He's the one who keep throwing his chances to repent. 

For the first time after so many episodes, I feel glad for SA. It's finally for her to stand up for what's right and what it should be done. I'm glad I don't need to hate her till the last episode. I like the scene where she handed over her resignation and put some senses into sick and crazy JDH's mind. This grey old man is really wasting his life for turning his son into a monster. Getting SR goes on his knees is simply making him feel some fake victory. No wonder GW is dumb, he is not much different indeed. I see how SR finally realized what more matters and important to him. That act doesn't mean he gives up on his principles but it is more like he compromises for the sake of his beloved ones. It doesn't mean he acted out of his characters either. I can't wait to see how he turned the situation and make JDH pay for all the consequences of his wrong doings. 

I love the moment SK acting cool in front of those gangsters. When he returned all those SR's words for him to them is just so touching. I love this part really. He is not that same person as they can easily treat like a trash now. Cause he already changed his life by taking a right path now. Such a poignant moral lesson we can get. I'm pretty anxious if he's about to lose his temper and did something like in their pub before, making things even worse. But hey he's such a clever one. He got my respect! 

And last but not least, our smart girl YS. She never fail to make me root for her. Giving up is not in her dictionary. Who will stop the gangs and GW? Ah... no preview again. 

• Like 11
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

I can not understand why some viewers are confused with the last scene and it became a controversial.

Nothing can be above someone s life.I am sure PSR would do the same for Hyeon Yi or Seung Kwon.They are the people that were with him through thick and thin .Yi Seo is one of them and even more.She is the one that made his nights sweets.

I loved the last scene .It was one of the most powerful scenes in the whole drama.

Excellent job!

• Like 12
  • Love 1

Quite interesting plot. There are two people with a weird fetish for each other. They try to destroy each other for decades to realise in the end that it was all pointless. One technically lost his dad because of his ego (if he would have apologised, his dad would have remained at Jangga and not be victim of a hit-and-run whilst doing deliveries) and the other lost his beloved son whilst the purpose of founding the company was to let his family live in clover in the first place.  Had they both backed down earlier they would have lived a happy life.

Even more ridiculous is the ease to get the culprit to commit to the hit-and-run. It took PSRY multiple years to get his revenge on JGW, but it took JYS a bit of charm to make him confess in less than 15 min in a coffee chat. It also feel rushed to see how DanBam struggled to stay afloat for so many episodes to suddenly catch up with Jangga in four years. They only had to hire Tony, who happened to be related to the rich granny he handed a flyer to (what a coincidence). The same granny who pretended to be a baller by telling Chairman Jang to not toy with PSRY as she has him under her wings - a threat that achieved absolutely nothing. 

The characters are also peculiar. We have two obsessed, borderline lunatics (JYS and JGS) who try to harrass their crushes into loving them. Add in Kwon Nara to portray a character that is even duller than her already deadfish acting talents (come on... telling PSRY that she knew all along that he liked JYS is a bit unexpected and also boneless to me...) The pièce de résistance is the useless supporting cast. What is the purpose of the fund manager friend? What is the purpose of Ms Kang? What is the reason of giving the detective lines after he served his purpose in the plot to jail JGW? We also have Tony, who apart from being related to the core investor was mainly part of the furniture and fixtures (at least let him show up in the hospital scene to support PSRY...). To end it all, we have a gangster boss who in earlier episodes seems to have a special bond with PSRY (offering to give him a ride home after serving jail together, visiting DanBam when it opened), but decides to whack him half unconcious.

You can definitely feel that it is the first drama of both Showbox and the writer. It was fun whilst it lasted, but nothing memorable. It is a good successor to Chocolate, who had the same flaws...

• Confused 1

@Broaddaylight

SRY didnt lose his dad to his ego. SRY didn't want to kneel & apologize so rich folks like JGW & JDH who think they can do/say whatever they want because money talks. Yes, SRY's dad lost his job in the process but it's better than working for terrible people, & his dad understood 100%. Plus SRY & his dad became closer while opening a restaurant. The hit-&-run just happen to occur, which proceeds all the outcome of events to happen. If SRY apologize that day, none of the stuff in the story would have happened. That's literally the plot point. 

Its not weird fetish lol wtf. JDH is a petty old geezer & SRY wants him accounted for to take responsibility. JGW needs to go to jail for murdering SRY's dad. But it's been 14 years, SRY's principle & outlook on his views of living changed. Nothing is ever pointless. I'm sure JDH will still be accounted for. I mean dying of cancer is karma. Like YS said, JGW is a dumb head. It's not that hard to fool him with his big mouth. Although I agree with the timeskip but hey, I supposed the writer wanted the show to be present in 2020. Timeskip arc is a tricky thing to execute especially if theres only a limited episode to develop anything. I have my issues with the timeskip arc but it is what it is. The ensemble cast was still fairly used in the timeskip. Tony, not so much. Also, its been 4 years, people either change or they dont. I'm sure that's what the writer is trying to illustrate. In comparison to SK, who became a director at IC Co. who used to be a lowly gangster, the Boss leader seems conflicted but I suppose he values money much more.

SA could tell SRY had feeling for JYS in that cafe scene back in ep 14 when SRY saw JYS come in with JGS. SA knows, it's quite obvious in SRY's body language. JYS & JGS ain't your average folks obviously. Im not excusing the things they said/done. I mean the majority on this show isnt inherently healthy. Although I do have a gripe about certain things regarding character development & the way it highlights social issues but overall I enjoyed IC nonetheless. Whether your opinion about the show is positive/negative, I think IC is pretty memorable, specifically with its distinctive cast of characters. Some of the things in IC, Ive never seen done on other kdramas before so I give it some props. This show definitely invoked STRONG opinions out of people so that was something. 

• Like 11

Hi everyone,

I've been following this thread for awhile and I wanna share my two cents about the latest episode. Park Seroyi has a really good character development. He now sees that there're cases that kneeling is what he has to do and in the case of someone he cares for, kneeling is not a problem at all. Kneeling doesn't mean he's lost his intergrity or morality...I just love this development. I used to think his character's too stubborn to be fit into this world but now I'm satisfied. :D

• Like 8

@LanA

Same thought. I had gripes with SRY lol but I came to understand that he is someone who lived his whole life with a set of principles, which is his greatest attribute but also his biggest flaw. So seeing him kneel was pretty satisfying. Kneeling does not mean he's forgetting his revenge nor does it diminishes all his efforts from 14 years lol. It's just kneeling folks. Plus, this time, it's a different situation. Kneeling doesnt hold the same weight it did 4 years ago or when he was a teen. Like he can literally get back up & kick JDH's old dying a$$. Maybe not physically but y'all get the point lol. 

• Like 6

People who believe PSR shouldn't have kneeled are those who overvalue pride. It's okay to have pride and not allow others to trample over you, but to let that pride go BEYOND what's NORMAL to the point that their pride becomes more important than the wellbeing of someone else is something I like to call useless pride.  

• Like 9
  • Awesome 3

3 hours ago, Matilda_Anne said:

the last convo SR had with his dad made me, my husband and my cats cried (okay exaggerated a bit) but it was so saddddd and emotional i cant deal with it.. i can truly feel their bond and the love SR has for his dad.. what a great scene! looking forward to last episode...

love your cats.. send my hugs to them :kiss_wink::lol:

• LOL 2

@serenilmauve

JYS & JGS holding a shovel & metal pipe is taking me out lol. I hope JYS gives JGW a good hit on the noggin.

JYS(KDM) is still so pretty without the glamour.

I cant believe tomorrow's the last episode. I dont think I'm ready to see SRY kiss let alone on a date y'all I'm not lol. *internal screaming*

• Like 4
  • LOL 2