[Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

0ly40

My interpretation is that Soo-Ah was appropriately horrified during the press conference, at Chairman Jang's willingness to eat his young, and his willingness to use her. It's one thing to know that someone is ruthless, but it's another thing to witness how far he will go, first hand.

The show did a very good job not letting you know what Chairman Jang was up to until the "Fredo kiss" moment when he warmly hugged Geun-won. That's when you realize, boy, you going to jail.

I did find it mildly clunky when Yi-Seo records GW saying those incriminating things and then tells him exactly what she did. That happens all the time in dramas, where the good guy tells the bad guy - this is exactly what I'm going to do - giving the bad guy a way to figure out a plan. And you sit on your couch thinking, "No, don't show your hand!"

Of course, that is what made the situation escalate to him hitting her in the street and getting attention from the police and the public. So then I realize that she planned his exact reaction and how she probably planned the entire thing - yeah, this story is well told.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, emollienime said:

i’m also not sure why people saying,that jo yiseo manipulating jang gunsoo into taking his position in jangga.not sure how it was in webtoon.but jo yiseo actully twice rejected him.and second time she did so firmly and without any room for misunderstandings.yet it’s gunsoo who can’t take”no”for an answer and dreams about winning her over.if he was male lead his actions would’ve been already viewed as problematic and toxic,but because jo yiseo is bold and pro-active person and jang gunsoo considered as”cute fluffy guy”,it’s okay to ignore his actions and say,that it’s jo yiseo,who is toying with him.

I know right? I feel like it was more SRY’s go getter attitude in pursuing his goal of taking down his enemy that motivated him to do something for himself and his dream too which is unfortunately Yi Seo... and thinking about Yi Seo’s previous remarks of him having a chance as more like grasping at straws I think to justify what he is planning to do... sigh SRY’s words of “I’ve liked you for ten years, you have to like me back. This isn’t like business. Feelings are not like give and take deal” is so right and I hope GS knows that and the people who are again very critical of Yi Seo than any other character in this show... to be honest people who cannot appreciate Yi Seo’s character are not even worth convincing of how great she is... so I will just be here and continue to enjoy her while other people have to face the facts that she is the female lead and they just have to suck it up...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ari_bian said:

Thanks @sodarnfor the clarification since I also wanted to say that there is indeed a difference between a psychopath and a sociopath. Psychopath really have no conscience at all, and in the show you could see who that perfectly describes which is Jang Dae Hee. While Yi Seo is a high functioning sociopath. And since she is still quite young only just eighteen, she still has the chance to truly learn and probably manage her disorder to be a better functioning person in society, it’s really only after eighteen or older that one gets truly diagnosed as a full fledged ASPD... one could say her meeting SRY when she is still quite young was perfect timing, she instinctively knew that SRY can affect change in her life, which indeed SRY is already doing by just being who he is, a person with strong morals and principles. I think Yi Seo having a very strong emotion like love to Sae Ro Yi helped a lot to override those sociopathic tendencies that she has and she has learn to exhibit more control, the fact that she can intentionally choose to change her ways for SRY is already quite great. Sociopaths will never truly be like a normal person who can change and be genuinely a considerate person with courtesy and always operate out of the goodness of their heart. That is just not in the cards for a sociopath and that is not how they really operate...But they can control and manage their tendencies given the right positive reinforcements and having a purpose and a goal that aligns with what society would call a good goal, then they can manage their negative effects to society to a minimum... I think BBC Sherlock is a good depiction of what a sociopath is... 

Thanks @ari_bian. You make a great point about YS and Sherlock being a good representation of what a sociopath is. I however disagree with you calling Jang Dae Hee a psychopath. Another important characteristic of psychopaths is that they lack empathy. They just can't bring themselves to care for and relate to other people. I think Jang Dae Hee is everything but a psychopath. Dude created Janga after he saw his siblings die from hunger or eating rotten food. He promised himself that none of his people would have to lack food again. If that's not empathy/compassion, then idk what would qualify. He considers SA family. He could have fired the lady who sided with SRY but he didn't. He just sent her to a remote location instead because he still cares about the memory of her dead father. He brought home the child he had out of wedlock (JGS) when he didn't have to. He covered up his son (JGW)'s murder and made him a director at Janga although his actions affected the company negatively. Even when they stocks value went down to 37% because of JGW, JDH still didn't throw him away. That's what a parent does. (Again, i'm not excusing his covering up his son's actions. I'm just saying that you wouldn't do it for someone if you didn't have some level of care for them.) You may think "but he sent JGW to jail and chose Janga over him". That's true. But it doesn't mean that he doesn't care about his son. If anything, it means that he values his company more than he values his son, not that he doesn't value him at all.

I think his set of values and morals were corrupted by his experience (judging from where he came from), not that he doesn't have any at all. And that's what makes him such a formidable foe. He is layered, and experiences complex emotions like any of us.

@Whisper2 I just noticed, that so far Gwang Jin changed a lot of those "cold, very manipulative" moments for all 3 "cunning" women. They're basically the same, but they just not as manipulative, instead he is showing them as strong women, but still very much in more neutral and gray area. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Whisper2

I dont think it has anything to do with those who enjoy SA x SRY. The way JYS is written, its warranted people will dislike her or hate.  The thing is JYS isnt romanticized from a written standpoint how m/l characters are, which distinguishes her from them. 

• Thanks 1

@serenilmauve

Jtbc needs to release a look book for the show. I love all SRY looks, his boots are *chef's kiss* . Pretty much all the character. JYS outfits are equally good too. I love her jackets/coats.

Btw, I cant seem to pinpoint/remember when SRY & JYS walked together in the 6th gif. Which episode was that? My memories is faltering lol. 

1 hour ago, greenwatch08 said:

@serenilmauve

Jtbc needs to release a look book for the show. I love all SRY looks, his boots are *chef's kiss* . Pretty much all the character. JYS outfits are equally good too. I love her jackets/coats.

Btw, I cant seem to pinpoint/remember when SRY & JYS walked together in the 6th gif. Which episode was that? My memories is faltering lol. 

It's from ep.5 

Yi Seo and Sae Roy were walking around and talking about pub, when they met Soo Ah and when Sae Roy asked why she is not answering his calls, she said she is doing it on purpose and ignoring him. 

I noticed, that they're re-using some of his clothes. Which is nice and shows, that he owns limited number of them;)

• Like 3

Just wanted to say, that Itaewon Class managed to pull off one of those really impressive and good ways to put PPL, but make it meaningful to the whole plot and characters. 
Was the scene with watches even in original? Because those watches luxury MontBlanc and PSJ their official SK model, but they made such a great way to explain why they’re important and how Mr.Park was able to obtain such an expensive watches lol 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

58 minutes ago, AsveriaPSJ said:

Just wanted to say, that Itaewon Class managed to pull off one of those really impressive and good ways to put PPL, but make it meaningful to the whole plot and characters. 
Was the scene with watches even in original? Because those watches luxury MontBlanc and PSJ their official SK model, but they made such a great way to explain why they’re important and how Mr.Park was able to obtain such an expensive watches lol 

Thanks to Kang Minjung for telling the fact :D The scenes Yiseo wearing mask are also natural and make sense with the situation. She's the model for the mask brand, Etiqa ^_^

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ari_bian said:

I know right? I feel like it was more SRY’s go getter attitude in pursuing his goal of taking down his enemy that motivated him to do something for himself and his dream too which is unfortunately Yi Seo... and thinking about Yi Seo’s previous remarks of him having a chance as more like grasping at straws I think to justify what he is planning to do... sigh SRY’s words of “I’ve liked you for ten years, you have to like me back. This isn’t like business. Feelings are not like give and take deal” is so right and I hope GS knows that and the people who are again very critical of Yi Seo than any other character in this show... to be honest people who cannot appreciate Yi Seo’s character are not even worth convincing of how great she is... so I will just be here and continue to enjoy her while other people have to face the facts that she is the female lead and they just have to suck it up...

i don’t want to turn it into man vs woman,but i just don’t understand,why we ready to call women so easily b-words,for anything,yet we show more understanding to some male characters.like gunsoo right now is abandoning and turning his back to saeroy.he is taking jangga’s side,just like oh sooah once did.and some people readily curse her.yet people blaming saeroy for being”too harsh”with him,when all he did was saying rightfully,that he is not gonna stop destroying family that wronged him just because gunsoo is someone he likes.which gunsoo and everyone knew from the start.and he agreed with him.but he basically turning sides now because he couldn’t take”no”for an answer from a girl,that said he has no chances.and all what people saying”our poor,heartbroken summer child”and I just can’t shake of the feeling,that it’s because gunsoo is played by a cute guy...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

@emollienime

I agree. I don't see SRY as harsh or mean at all towards JGS. What he told JGS was just pure honesty & I'm glad he told JGS where he stand when it comes to JDH & he isnt going to back down. JGS needs to gain some perspective. JGS shouldn't be coddled. Yes, hes a good kid but hes really naive sometimes when it comes to seeing the bigger picture. Like his family is straight up trash no matter how thick blood is. He chose to leave on his own accord. SRY isnt the bad guy in this situation. SRY has been nothing but gracious to people when he doesnt even need to be. He such a good fella. Everyone should be fortunate that he even allows them in his space when he can otherwise not.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@emollienime Don't you just love it when people say, that Park Sae Roy should be more forgiving and more understanding to cop because of his daughter or that he shouldn't say (obvious) things to Gun Soo (who wouldn't even bat an eye to that, if Jo Yi Seo wasn't his ultimate goal) after he suffered for 10 years, when that cop hided truth and showed all possible compassion to Gun Soo, yet has no control over Jo Yi Seo's feelings. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, serenilmauve said:

Spot the difference :D

All i can see is the look in his eyes. The look when he saw YS's swollen cheek. It shows how his feeling has changed for her in a good way. First pic is the toilet scene. The 2nd is after YS-GW's recording incident. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, serenilmauve said:

credit: 

Reveal hidden contents

Spot the difference :D

I love this hehe...I think he is more upset on the second gif. On the first gif he was not happy about her face and bothered by it but on the second gif it was more intense like he is also physically hurt seeing the redness and swelling on her face... you could see it in his eyes and how he is out of breath just looking at it...like I don’t think he was even listening to Yi Seo telling him about the recorded confession and just so completely focused on the state of Yi Seo’s face, then the seeing red look then turning to Geun Won ready to beat the richard simmons out of him, then Yi Seo stopping him with just a “Sajangnim” yeah this scene was pure shipper gold... 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 1

JGS leaving Danbam to J Co. in pursuit of JYS's love is not the same as JYS working at Danbam in pursuit of SRY's love. It is two completely different thing.

JGS KNOWS the outcome of JYS feelings in which she repeatedly REJECTS him. She made is SUPER clear that she doesnt like him. So him putting the effort to be some bigshot working at J Co. in hope's JYS will return his affection is complete ludicrous & makes him naive. JYS doesn't want to marry some decent man from a decent family, especially not one who murders. He took JYS words at face value when she said she was kidding. Also hes going to work for his trash a$$ dad.

JYS wants to to work at Danbam for success & love. At the moment the feelings is one sided. JYS does NOT KNOW how SRY feels about her, that's the difference. She is taking the risk to win his heart because she believes that he will feel the same way. Even before meeting SRY, she was already uncertain about her life prospect & didn't know what to do about her future. She came across SRY, an simple honest good man with a dooming business, who peaked her interest. SRY is her life goal, a reason to continue to do something with her life & she isnt working for some a$$hole.

@serenilmauve

I heavily agree. Sometimes people dont deserve SRY's grace at all or his energy.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 1

I was really curious what will be the best one minute, because episode had some many strong moments. I didn’t expect this to be the one though;)) 

1 hour ago, kiklaminHo said:

@serenilmauve

the only thing I spot is Park Seo Joon" s juicy lips !:blush:

Well... I can’t blame you xD I believe they kinda small obsession of all his fans too lmfao 

Sorry, inner fan girl came out xD

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1