[Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

0ly40

1 hour ago, wisely1300 said:

I mean all of them were shocked by his actions, so what's your point? All of them knew he was a terrible person, yet all of them were shocked af when he did what he did, so why are you calling only SA out? I thought she cried, because, she, just like ALL OF THEM, couldn't believe the extent of evil that was in JDH.  

Edit: sorry for the harsh tone, I'm not trying to start a fight or anything like that, just stating what I think.

PSR should seek restitution equivalent to 10 years of Jangga earnings to provoke the chairman even more .....and he needs a really good and dirty lawyer like the Hyena.  :)

• Like 1

@lollyminx

JYS maybe be a bit much to stomach sometimes but atleast she's consistent lol even with her antics & whatnot. 

SA is heavily underutilized. I'm not hating on her character, just critiquing the writing for her. She gets shoehorned into scenes that makes her feel out of place when she can be given more substantial things to do since shes a marketing major? Especially when she goes to Danbam she's like a plant.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

1 hour ago, greenwatch08 said:

@ari_bian

I like what you said about JYS. Because realistically she cant shoo away her tendencies. Can she learn from what right & wrong. Most definitely because I think she does somewhat do understand what is right or wrong but not to a degree. The thing is she does have alot of behavioral problems & outlook. I think it stems lot from her mom's upbringing/conditioning & growing up in a SK society rather than her sociopathic ways which doesnt help with someone who has sociopathtic tendencies. I think I mentioned it before but she seems like she has depression too?

I don't know but SA's reaction felt off to me. I would say KN doesnt have the nuance & versatility of the other actors. I'm not saying shes awful btw. 

@greenwatch08 agree with everything that you said... Sociopaths can be helped through nurture, whereas psychopaths are born that way or by nature they are like that.  Hence, this show has cleverly put to light the problems and issues in SK society through Yi Seo’s character and how SRY’s character correctly shows also what a human being should be... In fact, this show reminds me so much of My Ahjusshi but told in a different way but still create the same impact of showing what’s not right in society and what a human being needs to be... oh and Jo Yi Seo has a bit of depression caused by the expectations of her mom and society in general, which is actually what is happening more to young people nowadays, Jo Yi Seo knows she can achieve it because she is highly intelligent but she also knows that to achieve what society and her mom would call a success she has to work very hard at it and it  is just not something that gives her life... then here comes Sae Ro Yi who chooses to chase his dreams even when society is telling him he can’t that it is not just in the books for someone like him, and yet this person was willing to work very hard to achieve his dream of being able to do what he wants to do and not to be limited to what society said was his only value and worth... meeting SRY and liking him freed Yi Seo from the expectations of her mom and society to follow the usual paths in life and SRY has shown her a different path that she could take, one that interests her and that gives meaning to this life...

Also about Soo Ah and Kwon Nara, it’s possible that her scenes feels shoe horned in because in the webtoon she really does not have that much importance in the plot and story as in the show they were trying to do, I guess the changes that they made for her character doesn’t seem to work because other characters in fact can give more relevance and impact to the plot than her character... also because her character is out of placed on some scenes because I guess they just want to keep on continuing to stretch the love triangle thing when in actuality the moment Yi Seo was in SRY’s life, Soo Ah significance to affect change for Sae Ro Yi has completely diminished to very very low which makes this insistence of the show to have a love triangle be a bit forced because the triangle is imbalanced already...

• Like 7

1 hour ago, greenwatch08 said:

SA is heavily underutilized. I'm not hating on her character, just critiquing the writing for her. She gets shoehorned into scenes that makes her feel out of place when she can be given more substantial things to do since shes a marketing major? Especially when she goes to Danbam she's like a plant.

or Furniture..... and so few spoken words too.

Chairman is so cunning.. he already planned to dismiss JGW (as PSR predicted).. but he had the solo conversation with OSA on purpose (ewwww at the part he said he allow himself to be upset in front of OSA because she is like family), to allow the tea lady to eavesdrop his conversation and send it to KMJ to catch her off guard..

I think OSA felt that she was taken as a fool during the press conference. At first JDH said "dont ever ask me to dismiss my son again.. i dont believe ms kang would betray me" bla bla, and changed right after.. what a shock and disgust to her.. The apology wasn't even sincere and she was kind of disturbed by it. Especially when he said he was sorry to the family of the victim? Really? Charman can't be anymore fake than this..

By the way PSR finally got the kneel and apology he wanted (he told JDH someday he would kneel to PSR), even though it was only for show.. JDH lost his pride and his son and PSR didn't lose anything.. 

i wonder what would PSR feel if he held his vomit and watched the kneeling part? Vomit two times more? Or would he felt like he won a little?

Hats off to the cast for delivering such an entertaining episode.. special mention to the 4x slap and 'warm hug' from JDH to his son.. never seen such weird and uncomfortable father son interaction in kdrama.. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't read the webtoon so I can't compare the characters development on this drama vs the webtoon. All I can feel, SA is also has a hard time . She wants to be success more than everything in her life because of her poor background. 

She's pretty realistic and she even told PSRY not to fall with her. Although many viewers like YS more than SA. TBH, I think sometimes YS is just too much. Well afterall she's a sociopath. She'd do everytging she wants in her own way. 

7 minutes ago, Whisper2 said:

but he had the solo conversation with OSA on purpose, to allow the tea lady to eavesdrop his conversation and send it to KMJ to catch her off guard

I SEE! OMG thanks for this. I missed this part. Now I know. This is why I've wondered if there's something off in the translation on Netflix, because why would she react that way. I get it now. Thanks for this!

• Like 1

Hi everyone, new here to Soompi though not to the kdrama world! Have been a silent reader for many months now but IC forced me to open an account and participate...I loved this show that much :wub:

I think episode 10 marks a closure for PSR as far as his dad's death is concerned. The man who caused the death and escaped punishment is finally in jail. Now remains the man who ruined PSR's life. PSR forced the Chairman to choose...his company or his blood...and he predictably chose his company. His relation with Min-yeong and her supporters is spoiled forever too. Might have also broken Soo-ah's trust because she now knows all his talk about her being like a family is just hogwash. PSR is always shown emphasizing how important his people are to him, how they are his strength and this time PSR's attack has ensured the Chairman lost many of his close people. In the coming episodes we might see the Chairman getting more isolated for the ruthless are always rootless and these very people might have a big role in his downfall...either directly or indirectly.

I started watching this drama for PSJ (in spite of that atrocious haircut) and I had been disappointed to see the heroine in the posters and initial trailers. But she is such a surprise package. So so unlike the usual Kdrama heroines. I love her acting + her character!! She owns every scene and was especially good in the last scene of episode 9.  Every expression spot on!! After a long time I am waiting impatiently for the next episode.

Where can I read the webtoon/ summary of the webtoon in English for free? Any links please?

• Like 2

Wow i salute cv's for bringing hong suk chun ( bald guy ) on tv

The actor came out as gay in 2000 openly and was fired from all of his 6 tv shows. Lost all endorsements. He opened a restaurant where he suffered lost for one year but later it worked out and today he co owns 9 restaurants , most of them in itaewon!!

But when he tried to comeback on tv he got hate mails. So only handful tv appearances sice then and i am happy IC brought him on board.

Poor guy i feel so bad for him. Just because he is gay, he lost his career 2 decades back. But glad he found success in business. Asian society need to move with times.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

5 hours ago, greenwatch08 said:

@lollyminx

JYS maybe be a bit much to stomach sometimes but atleast she's consistent lol even with her antics & whatnot. 

I guess here comes the power play of actors comes as a factor too. Not only just love triangle, but they also needed Kwon Nara herself to have more scenes. So we end up with OSA even when she is not needed. 

@Deepakmahajan I see him a lot on TV shows, tbh;))) He even appeared on Youn's Kitchen and helped PSJ (and whole team) with cooking and management;)

• Like 2

On 2/29/2020 at 11:42 PM, wisely1300 said:

I’m not going to lie, I’m getting a bit frustrated with the carelessness of PSRY is carrying out his revenge. First, in episode 6-7, when he invested all his money into Jangga, I was already a little iffy. He should have at least waited until his store was solidly on the ground or that his money could buy at least 1% of the shares or something because doing that did nothing but set them back. But at least that time he was agitated by Soo Ah and so he at least had an excuse of love.

But now this? This whole episode I was literally just saying to myself “why aren’t you guys being more careful of him playing that very obvious card ughhhh??” They drew up a plan without accounting for all the variables, simply because they thought that variable was unlikely to happen. Haven’t they learned?? JDH is not just evil but also very smart, you have to make sure your net has no holes for him to escape. Sigh, and now they lose all advantages they had. 

Also Geun Soo + Soo Ah team up from inside the company to possibly help???? Hmmmm bring it on I’m very intrigued.

It’s been 10 years for Park Saeroy. I bet you can excuse them rushing things after they finally saw some light at the end of tunnel. As Saeroy himself said to Gunwon he almost didn’t saw an end to his plan. And Gunwon gave him opportunity to do it right now and right there. You can’t predict everything your opponent is planning, so they acted based on their predictions and information; what I like about IC, it’s that our hero is not some invincible genius with A,B,C,D plans, that work like a well-oiled machine, we see that portray in a lot of revenge dramas not regular. Contrary Saeroy is an ordinary, but just really hard-working and stubborn guy. 
But thanks to them acting and pushing red buttons Gunwon now in prison. Which wouldn’t happen, if they didn’t pressure Jang Donghee to act out of his comfort zone. 

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

Random thought:

1) JYS is the exorsist friend we didn't know we needed

2) how does she compare psychologically with Jung from Cheese in the trap? He was kind of twisted but he was the main lead and ended up with the FL as well

• Like 1

When JGS asked how he feel about JYS in ep 9, I wonder if he ever answered the question or did he just run out to find her? In ep 11 preview, it appears JGS asks SRY the same thing infront of everyone including JYS, which she then proceeds to run out & he runs after her. I like how gobsmacked SRY looks lol when she confesses. Like he probably never heard anyone told him that they loved him(romantically).

Also, I just love that SRY brings her with him everywhere now so casually:rolleyes:. She's his confidant & ally. 

@wisely1300

JGW is in jail atleast, that's a start. Theyve got to shake the tables somehow and they did which was something SRY always wanted, to put JGW in jail. The outcome was probably not what they expected but it's something. I dont see it as careless. Plus, theyve built the groundwork, they just have to build upon it. It was satisfying to see JGW @$$ go to prison. 

Honestly I doubt that JGS & SA are going to help dismantle JDH from the inside. JDH has moles all over the place. Hes very intuitive. We've already know that SA isnt going to risk her job/do a thing to make a slight dent & JGS said hes going to live for greed now? Which is a rather unusual transition for his character. I like that SRY was honest with him about the situation between him & JDH. Really puts everything into perspective for him so its bit saddening to see JGS leave Danbam to go back to a place that didnt care for him in the 1st place. 

@Whisper2

I've never seen Cheese in the Trap

but the thing about JYS in a show like IC is that the show illustrates what shes doing/say is wrong &

the people/characters around her always calls out her behavior/offput by it(like rudeness, being insensitive, etc). JYS herself is even aware of her tendecies. Shes trying/willing to change even though its self-serving & has yet to acknowledge it, which is so much more than what I see from sh^tty m/l characters in kdramaland. Viewers are highly aware of JYS when she say/do things too. When m/l characters are written to be a$$holes/twisted/complete awful & what not, their behavior is rarely called out at all by their peers or people(characters) around them or their supposed 'love interest' on the show or even from viewers, atleast from what I seen. Sh^tty M/L characters tends to be romanticized alot. JYS is not.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ari_bian said:

@emollienime you hit it right on the head. One of the things this drama has shown me was how people are just so prejudiced and unforgiving with a woman for even having the temerity to defend herself, protect her loved ones and to not take any bullying from anyone whether they be young or old or even from a man.... could it be the reason why they like Soo Ah was because Soo Ah chose to not fight and that they think that is how a girl should react? Do people really think we women can’t speak up and fight for our rights? And to think this show was written by a man. Which is truly kudos to him for creating a character like Yi Seo. I wonder what it would take for all this people hating on Yi Seo to realize that what they are hating on Yi Seo was the very thing that they are applauding for in a male character... this really makes me mad and sad how people just couldn’t see why Yi Seo is actually amazing. I’m glad SRY is not like those morons and can see Yi Seo and treasure who she is...

i’m also not sure why people saying,that jo yiseo manipulating jang gunsoo into taking his position in jangga.not sure how it was in webtoon.but jo yiseo actully twice rejected him.and second time she did so firmly and without any room for misunderstandings.yet it’s gunsoo who can’t take”no”for an answer and dreams about winning her over.if he was male lead his actions would’ve been already viewed as problematic and toxic,but because jo yiseo is bold and pro-active person and jang gunsoo considered as”cute fluffy guy”,it’s okay to ignore his actions and say,that it’s jo yiseo,who is toying with him.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@emollienime

JYS is a genius lol, she knows how to play people because shes smart. Shes got to get that evidence somehow. JGW deserves more than a cup of hot coffee to his face. He literally murdered a person. That's why shes angry because J Co is filled with bastards who dont know how to act.

JGS knows exactly what kind of person JYS is. She even told him she was kidding about how he should go back to J Co to make something of himself. He took it to face value for false hope/love. She literally told him she does not like him one bit romantically. Hes like those soft hearted f/l characters who love those questionable m/l blindly & acceptingly which bothers me. I think he called JYS out once but still likes her but doesnt want her to change. No kiddo, lol.  He derserves someone who genuinely cares about him. His decision to leave is all on him, not JYS.

@serenilmauve

I love that fanart. That artist(leeleecalli)

has such an adorable unique style so talented. I hope they continue to make more as the show hits close to its end. They know how pick iconic scene of SRY & JYS. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, greenwatch08 said:

When JGS asked how he feel about JYS in ep 9, I wonder if he ever answered the question or did he just run out to find her? In ep 11 preview, it appears JGS asks SRY the same thing infront of everyone including JYS, which she then proceeds to run out & he runs after her. I like how gobsmacked SRY looks lol when she confesses. Like he probably never heard anyone told him that they loved him(romantically).

I guess we'll return with that scene next week. A flashback or GS re-ask him. They seems like gather in the same table. I wonder whether they're in a discussion regarding the plans for Danbam, or having Farwell party for GS or playing truth or dare games?

That confession will linger in his mind I think. He has this deep thought after their first meeting. 

Tagged @Whisper2 :)

Spoiler

I agreed with the thought that other shitty ML with super obnoxious and rude attitudes or even some twisted too are not that criticized that much and considered as bad boys charm. Psst... and I don't know why, sometimes I like some ML with bad boys charm in other dramas. Does this make me suffer a sociopath or psychopath tendency? :o

But here we got YS as the reverse and she was considered like an unforgivable villain. I watched Jung in CITT, come to think of it. He has similar problems like YS. But there he was thought for having a slightest tendency of a psychopath. But the way I see him he's just being indifferent and mamipulative. He used those people's own flaw and greed as a weapon which attacks them back. Somehow, I feel that he is a bit scary but I got his reasons have a point. And since I don't know much about psychology but the way they portray YS or YJ somehow quite common with the traits that some bad boys ML have in some romance dramas. CITT is such great in storyline but somehow the drama has an internal problem. They changed some important parts from the original work a lot and the story got deviance and it lead to public disappointment. TVN has to release a formal explanation through their official site in trying to calm the viewers complaints. Let's say there's drama within the drama itself. The drama ended and left many unsatisfied results for the viewers. Well, you may try it, despite of all those, it's actually a good story. It's just because they didn't adapt the story with well approach. 

I feel that some unnecessary plots in the episodes and it felt like they just fillers. And I'm doing my best to keep enjoying the show with the help of ffd button. LOL. 

• Like 1

@emollienime 

Spoiler

In the webtoon YS confessed to PSR that she asked GS to be the successor so that so she can manipulate him to PSR success in the future. She wasn't joking but was manipulating. Also in the webtoon GS didn't feel anything for his dad possible dismissal, he left SOLELY for YS.. but for the sake of discussion we shall look at the drama not the webtoon..

I'm glad in the drama YS didn't go that far and was just joking.. I also appreciate that she isn't faking and messing around with GS.. only thing I didn't like was she asked GS to leave for the rental incident.. but even that I don't see her evil, just a child going through the process of making mistakes and learning..

@Alice Wonderland @greenwatch08yes i agree that the criticism is too harsh and unforgiving to YS. Did half of the hate come from the SA x PSR ship? As in, would people hate her less if YS is the exact same character minus her love to PSR (eg.if she has pure admiration to PSR as older brother, but like GS romantically)? I have a feeling all 4 characters would be loved if the couple setup was 2 pairs rather than love triangles.. another half of the hate probably came from her gender..

Yoojung from CITT was a complex character with malicious traits, i remember the comic sparks lots of debate as to whether he was evil and if the FL should be with him.. he was creepy manipulative even though some of his doings was for good reasons eg protect the FL.. but like you said because it was a ML he was given more slack than YS.. YS wasn't dark or malicious she was just impulsive and wants to win, she doesn't scheme behind and put a nice front (except in social media) like YJ.. YJ was much worse than YS, but YS getting more hate and YJ was more romanticized..

I enjoyed her initial entrance very much when she recorded the school bully. It showed a contrast with what PSR was facing back then in his time. Makes me wonder if they are same age, maybe PSR would love her at first sight? She was so bad*ss and her slaps, her crushing ice, and her splashing coffee were so satisfying to see lol..

Like i mentioned earlier she is the misunderstood exorcist we didn't know we needed

• Like 3

@Whisper2 Where the extreme hate roots from? Yes, It's probably one of those thoughts you mentioned. 

Oh..huh... right. I enjoy those parts as well. LOL. When people think she was rude and bad for slapping an adult. Some part of my inner self support her. LOL. The bully's mother assaulted her first. She clearly knows the fact that her daughter is a perpetrator but act like a victim. That was more evil tbh. The real psychopaths here are JDH and JGW. This duo psychopath should be banned from the society. They need to be sent to mental hospital. They have no remorse nor conscience. 

And she's the reason I keep watching the drama. I like PSJ but sometimes I'll just skip episodes and watch the final if the FL is not interesting. 

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, Alice Wonderland said:

And she's the reason I keep watching the drama. I like PSJ but sometimes I'll just skip episodes and watch the final if the FL is not interesting. 

Same here. YS got me hooked to this drama.

She has keen eyes and sensors for potential trouble.....love the way she baited and dared GS every time he made a move... coz she can sense a brewing conflict... with him around.

So, finally she sent one Trojan horse (GS) out the yard, back to Jangga.... and this was easy.

SA is the other...  which will take a lot of undoing because this

white horse have deeper roots planted in PSR's heart.

• Like 1