[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

Lee Min Ho travels across dimensions to find Kim Go Eun in 2nd teaser clip for SBS's 'The King: Eternal Monarch

1583970989-20200311-theking.jpg

SBS's upcoming blockbuster fantasy-romance 'The King: Eternal Monarch' has recently released its 2nd teaser clip, painting a complex plot between lead actor Lee Min Ho and lead actress Kim Go Eun!

Set to premiere some time this April, 'The King: Eternal Monarch' is the newest project by hit scriptwriter Kim Eun Sook of 'Secret Garden', 'The Lonely and Great God', 'Mister Sunshine', etc. The story tells the story of a king with the power to travel across different dimensions, and his fateful encounter with a detective.

Lee Min Ho takes on the role of a mysterious king from another dimension, Lee Gon. Kim Go Eun plays the role of a hardworking, sometimes cynical detective, Jung Tae Eul. Watch these two stars and their first cross-dimensional encounter in a 2nd teaser for 'The King: Eternal Monarch', below!

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2020/03/lee-min-ho-travels-across-dimensions-to-find-kim-go-eun-in-2nd-teaser-clip-for-sbss-the-king-eternal-monarch

1 hour ago, gtLmh0622 said:

In 2nd teaser,
Jung Tae Eul asked Lee Gon : "Are you really coming from another world ?"
And at the end, Lee Gon asked Tae Eul : "Come with me, to my world.”
I think Lee Gon can come and go between 2 worlds, that stone gate in the bamboo forest is the gate between 2 worlds.

@gtLmh0622, I think you are right, Lee Gon can travel between worlds, as the above article writes:

"The story tells the story of a king with the power to travel across different dimensions, and his fateful encounter with a detective."

And the portal to the other world is at the stone gates in the bamboo forest.

QfjbJhS.gif

• Like 6

The teaser really got me in suspense . If you notice closely at the snows falling scene, the snowflakes were actually falling in different direction as they looked into each other.   Is KES writer trying to tell us something?

in the scene where KGE tied her hair.. at one point the movements in the background seems to stopped and stayed still as LMH watched her. 

i wonder with his power to travel across dimensions also means he can choose to make himself invisible... haha.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, ChunSungIm said:

Anyone knows is this drama pre produced or after they aired first/opening eps they are still filming ?

They’ve been in production for several months now and it’s projected to be completed before the airing date but who knows, if the schedule gets delayed, they might have to film while the show is airing. Especially with precautions against the corona virus, I know plenty of dramas have stopped filming for a week so I wouldn’t be surprised if anything like that were to occur. But for certain most of the drama is pre-produced regardless. In fact, this drama was supposed to have aired already but due to much required post production work (I’m guessing some cgi), they decided to push it back so everything can be produced and edited with much attention to details. So of course, I’m anticipating some beautiful aesthetically pleasing scenes.

• Like 5

https://news.sbs.co.kr/news/endPage.do?news_id=N1005694549

[SBS Star] VIDEO: A Heart-fluttering Teaser for Lee Minho & Kim Go-eun's Fantasy Romance Drama Unveils

201410993_1280.jpg

An upcoming fantasy romance drama 'The King: Eternal Monarch' starring actor Lee Minho and actress Kim Go-eun unveiled a teaser. On March 11, SBS uploaded a 45-second teaser for 'The King: Eternal Monarch' on YouTube.

The teaser showed Lee Minho's character tightly hugging Kim Go-eun's character in his arms while she narrates, "Are you really from another world?"

In the next scene, Lee Minho's character rides a white horse and disappears into the forest as he goes through an arch gate.

Then, a series of different scenes are shown as Kim Go-eun's character continues to narrate, "You act like you know me, but I have no idea who you are."

Lee Minho's character also narrates, "Just like how I don't exist in this world, you were not there where I'm from."

The teaser ends with Lee Minho's character gently saying, "Come with me, to my world."

'The King: Eternal Monarch' is a drama that deals with the subject of an alternate reality.

In one world, the Emperor of the Korean Empire 'Lee Gon' (Lee Minho) seeks to keep the door to an alternate reality closed.

All the while, a detective of the Republic of Korea 'Jung Tae-eul' (Kim Go-eun) tries to keep the door open in the other world.

Kim Go-eun will play the double role as 'Jung Tae-eul' and 'Luna'―a criminal who lives in the Korean Empire.

Meanwhile, it was recently announced that 'The King: Eternal Monarch' is going to go on air in April.

• Like 6

On 3/12/2020 at 7:03 AM, 1ouise said:

It could be that there is only one role for LMH because his character in the other universe died.  :o  I would guess that Song Jung Hye is the murdered queen/his mom.  She was killed in the Empire, but is alive in the Republic.  Lee Gon is alive in the Empire, and maybe dead in the Republic.  Just a guess.

This is actually a possibility. I haven't read all the articles and background of each character but if you could remember in the teaser, Lee Gon said: "The reason why I survived, is it here?". Could it be that Lee Gon's mother died while protecting him? And that while he was looking for answers in the Republic, he crosses paths with her?

• Like 5

New Idol, 10 Portraits of Woo Do Hwan, New Friend of Lee Min Ho at KDrama

The new Korean drama titled The King: Eternal Monarch which is the latest work of screenwriter Kim Eun Sook ( The Heirs , Goblin ) has received high enthusiasm since the first trailer was released some time ago. This fantasy romance drama paired two popular celebrities from Korea, Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun.

But it's not just the popular names Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun that make The King awaited by fans. Another name that does not less steal attention is actor Woo Do Hwan who is one of the rising actors for the past two years.

He will play Lee Min Ho's loyal friend, here are 10 captivating portraits of actor Woo Do Hwan.

1. Woo Do Hwan is an actor from Anyang, Gyeonggi who was born on July 12, 1992. He will soon be 28 years old.

Spoiler

d214d95d-01e0-41bb-9405-8ff9d9ffa98f-31d

2. His name is popular after starring in the 2017 OCN Save Me drama, followed by other dramas such as Mad Dog and The Great Seducer

Spoiler

e52fd209-d4a7-4ec6-929e-580931122a88-227

3. Although it has only been on the rise for the past two years, Woo Do Hwan has actually been acting since 2011

Spoiler

27e2e076-c5c4-4b35-9aa5-1ff3a5f3d4c3-c59

4. Last year, he appeared charming as a knight in the colossal drama My Country

Spoiler

1b016e83-30d5-4f0f-8d84-01d061e954d0-4a0

5. Woo Do Hwan was announced to join The King: Eternal Monarch in August last year, shortly after he finished filming My Country

Spoiler

923166b9-2c0f-4052-973b-ee5469180885-123

6. Woo Do Hwan will play two roles from two different worlds. The first role is Jo Eun Seob, a young man who works hard for the family

fullsizephoto1161254-bc8e18fd0c8cac4ad6b

7. While in the other world, Woo Do Hwan plays Jo Young, a faithful bodyguard of the Lee Gon character played by Lee Min Ho

fullsizephoto1161242-903a5f505021d87cf15

8. Woo Do Hwan's character as Jo Young will build bromance with Lee Min Ho. Many can not wait for their cohesiveness

minhosshi-world-20200208-6-40f6b02aebce6

9. Jo Young's prediction will also appear to be involved in the love triangle between Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun. Are you ready for second lead syndrome ?

Spoiler

20190806-m-yhj-1000007-4d143bf3b1694c3be

10. Ready to appear bringing two different charisma in one drama, Woo Do Hwan's appearance in The King: Eternal Monarch is indeed worth the wait!

Spoiler

2019072901295-0-813fc2e7177d880125bdfc44

Those are 10 captivating portraits of actor Woo Do Hwan who will become the second leading actor and new friend Lee Min Ho in The King: Eternal Monarch . The latest drama is scheduled to appear next April. Prepare lots of quota to watch, okay?

https://www.idntimes.com/hype/entertainment/venita-beauty-1/idola-baru-10-potret-woo-do-hwan-sohib-lee-min-ho-di-kdrama-baru/full

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, gtLmh0622 said:

I think Lee Gon can come and go between 2 worlds, that stone gate in the bamboo forest is the gate between 2 worlds.

The introduction of Jung Tae Eul, her first time meeting Lee Gon was at Gwanghwamun, she saw a man riding a white horse and thought he violated the traffic regulations. This lunatic man said he was an emperor.......but he is too handsome. 

So, Lee Gon did not change anything about himself when he went to another world.

Maybe Lee Gon and Jung Tae Eul's first meeting was also the first time Lee Gon was able to cross JTE's world?

• Like 4

You guys are really observant!  @gtLmh0622:  I would have never noticed the scar on Lee gon's neck if you hadn't mentioned it.  As long as it is on Lee Gon's neck and not LMH, I'm ok with that lol.  @SophieH:  Neither would I notice the snow falling away from them...in fact, I don't remember the snow at all!

Does anyone know if press cons are going forth with other dramas or are they being cancelled for health concerns?  I was so looking forward to seeing them at the press con a couple days before the premiere.  

• Like 3

The falling leaves does seem freeze when Lee Gon watches Jung Tae Eul tie her hair.  

7OezWtZ.gif

And the snow does move in different directions.

jKEbMmI.gif

Good observations! The story is becoming quite intriguing and interesting...

• Like 6
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Samuel Yohanes said:

Guys quick question.

Is this on netflix? Because it is 100% easier to watch it and quicker+easier to watch

Hi @Samuel Yohanes, yes, this would be available on Netflix.

K-Dramas Coming to Netflix in 2020

The King: Eternal Monarch

Episodes: 16
South Korea Broadcast Date: April 17th, 2020 | Broadcaster: SBS
Netflix Release Date: April 18th, 2020 – June 7th, 2020 | Run Time: TBA
Cast: Lee Min Ho, Kim Go Eun, Woo Do Hwan, Kim Kyung Nam, Jung Eun Chase

K-Dramas-Coming-to-Netflix-2020-The-King

The role of Lee Gon will actor Lee Min Ho’s first role in over four years and his first return to the screen since the end of his military service. Also starring in the series is Guardian: The Lonely and Great God actress Kim Go Eun. K-Drama fans will be super excited to see the onscreen pairing of Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun.

Set across two parrel universes, the first greatly resembles Korea as we know it today. In the opposing universe, the country of Korea is an empire, ruled by a single but kind monarch. When evil forces begin to plot and the door between the two worlds is open, the Korean emperor enlists the help of a detective from the opposite world to help save their worlds.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/k-dramas-coming-to-netflix-in-2020/

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CarolynH said:

You guys are really observant!  @gtLmh0622:  I would have never noticed the scar on Lee gon's neck if you hadn't mentioned it.  As long as it is on Lee Gon's neck and not LMH, I'm ok with that lol.  @SophieH:  Neither would I notice the snow falling away from them...in fact, I don't remember the snow at all!

Does anyone know if press cons are going forth with other dramas or are they being cancelled for health concerns?  I was so looking forward to seeing them at the press con a couple days before the premiere.  

Another difference :
The color of lights behind them are different. I think that means they are coming from 2 different worlds.

775246_1583927626.jpg&key=7f6febe1b9ce49

• Like 4

Lee Min Ho And Kim Go Eun’s Upcoming Drama “The King: Eternal Monarch” Shares Character Relationship Chart

58f21472afba4846ae96fd72a9723df8.jpeg?s=

SBS’s upcoming drama “The King: Eternal Monarch” has unveiled a chart explaining the relationships between its cast of characters.

Written by Kim Eun Sook, “The King: Eternal Monarch” is about two parallel universes of a monarchy and a democracy. Lee Min Ho stars as Emperor Lee Gon, who tries to close the door between the two worlds, and Kim Go Eun stars as Detective Jung Tae Eul, who works with the emperor to protect people’s lives.

Lee Gon and Jung Tae Eul are at the center of the relationship chart, which is divided in two circles to represent the two parallel universes. The blue circle represents people in Lee Gon’s world, and the orange circle represents people in Jung Tae Eul’s world. A double-sided yellow arrow means that the actor is playing two different characters in each parallel universe.

For example, Kim Go Eun plays the detective Jung Tae Eul in one world, but the criminal Luna in the other. Woo Do Hwan plays Jo Young, the chief imperial bodyguard, in Lee Gon’s world, but Jo Eun Seob, a public service worker, in Jung Tae Eul’s world. Kim Yong Ji plays Myung Seung Ah, an employee of the imperial family’s press office, in Lee Gon’s world, but Myung Na Ri, the owner of the building Jung Tae Eul’s father uses to teach taekwondo, in Jung Tae Eul’s world.

Other people surrounding Lee Gon include Noh Ok Nam (Kim Young Ok), a court lady who raised Lee Gon after he was orphaned; Lee Jong In, a relative of the imperial family; Lee Rim (Lee Jung Jin), Lee Gon’s uncle; and Goo Seo Ryung (Jung Eun Chae), the prime minister. Lee Gon and Jung Tae Eul have a reciprocal romantic relationship, indicated by the double-sided pink arrow, but Goo Seo Ryung has a one-sided love for Lee Gon.

In Jung Tae Eul’s world, Detective Kang Shin Jae (Kim Kyung Nam), also has a one-sided love for Jung Tae Eul. Other members of her police investigation team include leader Park Moon Shik (Park Won Sang) and youngest member Michael Jang. Jung Tae Eul also has her father, Jung Do In (Jeon Bae Soo), and the mysterious Song Jung Hye (Seo Jeong Yeon).

Which relationship are you most looking forward to seeing?

the-king-eternal-monarch.jpeg

“The King: Eternal Monarch” premieres in April.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1388006wpp/lee-min-ho-and-kim-go-euns-upcoming-drama-the-king-eternal-monarch-shares-character-relationship-chart

• Like 5

On 3/6/2020 at 2:35 AM, loveggone said:

Hi @syntyche thanks for the welcome! I'm still trying to learn how this thread works *noob here*.

Anyway, I hope I could keep up with the discussions :lol:

Also, it's been a week today since LMH's teaser came out and a part of me is hoping KGE's teaser would be released today too! *fingers crossed* what's up, SBS?

I'm so happy you love KGE! Tbh I noticed her in Goblin and I think the drama is well-written but I respect your thoughts on it, anyone has their own preferences and I get it that Goblin didn't quite, impressed (?) you? :) And same, I'm hoping that the ending would be a happy one too. I hope this drama would be a hit not because this is LMH and KGE's comeback drama on the small screen, but because of the story itself *another fingers crossed*

Seriously though, am I the only one who keeps on watching LMH's teaser for the drama?

I.CANT.EVEN.THINK.STRAIGHT.

I'm just too excited for this and it's kinda surreal how we waited for months for this and then now, we're like a month away to finally watching it. I'm freaking out!!!!!!!!!!

@loveggone I think Goblin is a beautiful Drama (Production Value, Script, acting), however, Eun Tak Character doesn't do Go eun Acting Justice. She played the HS girl character well, but i want to see her with deeper character i guess? and i love both leads, but i didn't get their chemistry, which i know a lot of people do like their chemistry, and like you said, we all have our preference and that's cool :).

The two Drama i mentioned was Goblin and Mr. Sunshine, and both Ending left a giant hole for me. Which, TBH it's not a big deal, and i started seeing trend in Kdrama to have alternate, sad, or open ended ending, instead of the typical Happy ending.Bbut since i get that a lot from US Drama, i kinda miss the Kdrama happy ending hehehe...

I'm with you as well, i hope this Drama will be a hit not just because of the Actor star Status, but the story is fresh and engaging. Either way, im so excited my two fave actor is being paired!!

So excited that more and more of promotional content comes out for this Drama!

I read one comment asking about press conference, whether or not there will be a press conference for this Drama. Given the Covid 19 outbreak in South Korea. I have been following a bit about the progress they make in SK, and looks like they see more and more recovery cases and less infected case. This is a good news and hopefully by a month it will be better and they get to have their press conference and whatever else they need to do to promote the drama.

Anybody in this forum lives/from South Korea? what is it like over there? is what the news tells us is true? that it's getting better/more controlled?

And since I'm still particularly new in Kdrama land. what other promotional Value should we expect in the coming weeks?

And did any of you notice that LMH took down the post for The king 1st teaser from this page? i wonder why.

I'm so excited and hopefully since they pre produce, we won't expect delay or cancellation. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, scrawford said:

And since I'm still particularly new in Kdrama land. what other promotional Value should we expect in the coming weeks?

And did any of you notice that LMH took down the post for The king 1st teaser from this page? i wonder why.

I'm so excited and hopefully since they pre produce, we won't expect delay or cancellation. 

Hello @scrawford. We should expect them to release soon photos/videos of the script reading which happened late last year. 

Yes, LMH took down the first teaser with ENG subs. Some are saying it's because they spelled the country, "Corea," instead of "Korea." Hope they/he reuploads it soon, as international fans would sure appreciate seeing teasers with ENG subs.

It's a good thing that they have been preproducing. If they do get delays, they'd be filming during the period that it's already airing. And if I remember right, I read previous reports thay they would be filming overseas. As the airing is only a month away, add to that all these travel restrictions, I guess they may have settled for local filming. But with the released teasers with great cinematography, I have to say they are doing a great job!

• Like 4

23 hours ago, syntyche said:

Hi @Samuel Yohanes, yes, this would be available on Netflix.

K-Dramas Coming to Netflix in 2020

The King: Eternal Monarch

Episodes: 16
South Korea Broadcast Date: April 17th, 2020 | Broadcaster: SBS
Netflix Release Date: April 18th, 2020 – June 7th, 2020 | Run Time: TBA
Cast: Lee Min Ho, Kim Go Eun, Woo Do Hwan, Kim Kyung Nam, Jung Eun Chase

The role of Lee Gon will actor Lee Min Ho’s first role in over four years and his first return to the screen since the end of his military service. Also starring in the series is Guardian: The Lonely and Great God actress Kim Go Eun. K-Drama fans will be super excited to see the onscreen pairing of Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun.

Set across two parrel universes, the first greatly resembles Korea as we know it today. In the opposing universe, the country of Korea is an empire, ruled by a single but kind monarch. When evil forces begin to plot and the door between the two worlds is open, the Korean emperor enlists the help of a detective from the opposite world to help save their worlds.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/k-dramas-coming-to-netflix-in-2020/

I hope its true because most of the list is wrong.

For example when the weather is nice is not on netflix. 

Tell me what you saw also not in netflix

Before the swoon give trailer i wont believe it :(

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 3

The flag that was made previously for "The King" has the same logo as that in the first teaser

ERv0ZT2UwAExCo6?format=jpg%26name=small&

BGZOcBW.gif

And the mathematical formulas written on the board shows King Lee Gon as "a typical man of natural sciences who preferred equality to great men and liked exact numbers rather than ambiguous words."

DMY1a1V.gif

• Like 6