[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

50 minutes ago, Deepakmahajan said:

Kim eun sook is mastermind. You can criticize for her writing but she is best k drama writer and knows how to hookup the viewers to drama. She has high standards for leading man and she is quite a fan of LMH. I remember when she once said she wrote heir for LMH lol... I am sure she has already planned special for LMH's character.

You know this has crossed my mind. What if Lee Gon does have another identity that gets revealed later on in the drama. That would be an interesting plot twist! 

• Like 4

a218149e2d5a4e75886c1ab47866da36.jpeg?s=

“The King: Eternal Monarch” Introduces Characters Of Lee Min Ho, Kim Go Eun, Woo Do Hwan, And More

SBS has shared a glimpse into the characters that will make up Kim Eun Sook’s new drama “The King: Eternal Monarch.”

After releasing the first teaser for the drama last week, SBS has now shared insight into the characters who will be played by a star-studded cast including Lee Min Ho, Kim Go Eun, Woo Do Hwan, and more.

Lee-Min-Ho.jpg

Lee Min Ho will take on the role of Lee Gon, the third generation emperor of Korea. The citizens see him as a man of sophistication, having good looks and a calm demeanor, and a perfect ruler. However, Lee Gon is quiet, sensitive, compulsive, and hates when other people touch him. To him, the palace is the safest place on earth, but also the most dangerous as he saw a plot of treason against his father unfold there when he was eight.

He has no thoughts of getting married or carrying on the lineage, preferring to escape the palace from time to time by participating in academic symposiums. He was on such a trip when he finds himself in an unfamiliar place but facing a familiar face. He recognized Jung Tae Eul because it was her ID card he had picked up when he was eight, the night that his father was killed in a conspiracy.

Kim-Go-Eun.jpg

Kim Go Eun joins Lee Min Ho as Jung Tae Eul, a detective. Ever since she was a little girl, Jung Tae Eul had always been interested in becoming a police officer. Overcoming all odds, she was able to join the police force and has been working as a detective for the past six years. She does her job with the belief that those who commit crimes will all be caught eventually, preferably by her. What throws a wrench in Jung Tae Eul’s life is the emperor who appears in the middle of Gwanghwamun, claiming to be from a parallel universe. Though she doesn’t want to admit it, she begins to trust what he’s saying and thus begins the journey from them.

The actress is also billed to take on the role of Luna, a criminal in Lee Gon’s world who was abandoned in the poorest neighborhood. With no family, she has no identity recognized by the government, and she has had to fend for herself to stay alive. She has taken part in a variety of crimes such as theft, document forgery, and breaking and entering, and it was only when she entered prison that the world knew of her presence. She has been diagnosed with cancer with just three months left to live.

[Detailed character profile of Luna]

Spoiler

Woo-Do-Hwan.jpg

Joining them is Woo Do Hwan, who will play two roles as Jo Eun Seob and Jo Young. In Jung Tae Eul’s realm, Jo Eun Seob is working as a public service worker for the police. He had many dreams growing up but when his parents unexpectedly have twins in his fourth year of college, he’s forced to take a break from his studies and take care of his younger siblings. Then, when he returns to school, he gets in a car accident trying to save a young child, and just when he’s ready to leave the hospital, he gets his enlistment orders. He has just a few days left before he is discharged when he comes across Lee Gon.

In the other world, Jo Young is a bodyguard for Lee Gon, and is well-versed in all types of weaponry from swords to guns. Jo Young first met Lee Gon when he was four, after the uprising, and he vowed to make Lee Gon happy. Because of a special bond they formed growing up, Lee Gon only seems to let himself laugh around Jo Young, and is also willing to cry in front of him as well.

Spoiler

Kim-Kyung-Nam-Jung-Eun-Chae.jpg

Kim Kyung Nam will take on the role of Kang Shin Jae, a detective who works with Jung Tae Eul. He is always fair, level-headed, and determined, and for him, the police station is more like family than his real family. He wants to know if Tae Eul thinks of him as just a co-worker, family, or something more.

[Detailed character profile of Kang Shin Jae]

Jung Eun Chae plays Gu Seo Ryung, the youngest and first woman prime minister. She has always been ambitious, and she overcame the hardships of her upbringing to attain power. She wasn’t afraid to use her divorce to win more votes, and she set her new target on Lee Gon. Whenever she was around him, support for her would rise but at a certain point, she started to develop feelings for him. When she finds out that he might have his eyes on someone else, her jealousy leads her down a dangerous path.

Spoiler

Lee-Jung-Jin-Kim-Young-Ok-Jeon-Bae-Soo.j

Other characters include Lee Jung Jin’s Lee Rim, the uncle of Lee Gon who led the conspiracy against his father, Kim Young Ok’s Noh Ok Nam, who raised Lee Gon from when he lost his parents by the age of eight, and Jeon Bae Soo’s Jung Do In, a Taekwondo instructor and Jung Tae Eul’s father who raised her as a single dad after his wife died from cancer.

[Detailed character profile of Lee Rim]

Spoiler

Seo-Jeong-Yeon-Park-Won-Sang-Kim-Young-J

Seo Jeong Yeon will play Song Jung Hye, who has done any and every odd job and one day wakes up to find her entire family has changed, and Park Won Sang plays Park Moon Shik, the leader of the team of detectives including Jung Tae Eul who is just and hardworking. Kim Yong Ji plays Myeong Na Ri, the owner of the building Jung Do In uses to teach Taekwondo and who went to the same school as Jung Tae Eul. The actress is also slated to play Myeong Seung Ah, who is in charge of the emperor’s social media accounts and official website who specializes in writing official statements, pursuing legal action against malicious comments, and photoshop.

“The King: Eternal Monarch” is set to premiere in April and is the latest drama penned by screenwriter Kim Eun Sook.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1386933wpp/the-king-eternal-monarch-introduces-characters-of-lee-min-ho-kim-go-eun-woo-do-hwan-and-more

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, scrawford said:

Me too! I'm curious to see how the ending would be, since they are coming from two different world. Also, im really hoping that the ending would be happy. Kim Eun Sook last two Drama, doesn't really have the best ending in My opinion. And lastly, I love Kim Go Eun and i think she is an amazing actor (Eun Gyo and Coin Locker girl) but her character in Goblin is not really well written, so i hope her character is written well here.

I tolerated goblin purely for grim reaper's sake otherwise that drama was sorta cringe worthy. Lead couple was so annoying that I skipped most of their scenes lol

• Love 1

YESSS!!!

Sooo excited to see the relationship chart and to learn more about all the characters.  April is close enough now for me finally to allow myself to get excited.  :)

I'm tickled to see "Halmeoni" (Kim Young Ok) is back to raise Lee Gon.  :lol:

tumblr_ox2oqzDaKb1w2zf0ho4_540.png

Spoiler

tumblr_ox2oqzDaKb1w2zf0ho1_540.png

tumblr_ox2oqzDaKb1w2zf0ho3_540.png

It all sounds very fascinating to me.  I like the modern sageuk-i-ness of it, the palace intrigue.  I like the complexity of Lee Gon.  I love the cast.  I cannot predict how the ending will reconcile the two worlds.  

D-41 and counting!!!

• Like 10
  • LOL 1

20 hours ago, syntyche said:

"The King: Eternal Monarch” Introduces Characters Of Lee Min Ho, Kim Go Eun, Woo Do Hwan, And More

Thank you! I am so excited! The characters and their world sounds so unique and interesting. I'm relieved as it also sounds like these will be stronger females than Kim Eun Soon usually writes.

• Like 6

The woman in Lee Min Ho's new drama is pretty overwhelming

Recently, 'The King: The Eternal Monarch' shared photos and introduced the film's main cast. In particular, Jung Eun Chae received much attention playing the role of a villain.

ESbhIZQX0AMpi-6?format=jpg&name=small

In The King, Jung Eun Chae transforms into Gu Seo Ryung, Korea's youngest and first female prime minister. She is ambitious and defies tricks to gain power. She has an eye for Lee Gon (Lee Min Ho). 

In real life, Jung Eun Chae has received many compliments for her beautiful and pristine appearance. American born in 1986 possesses delicate staff, bright white skin and a bright smile. In particular, her face is commented to be a delicate combination of elegance and nobility.

Jung Eun Chae (real name Jung Sol Mi), a model and starred in "The Great Battle" is also a sought-after advertising face of many brands.

In 2010, Jung Eun Chae began her acting career with the movie Haunters, collaborating with Kang Dong Won and Go Soo. In the following years, she participated in many famous works such as My Bittersweet Life, Horror Stories, The Guest, and The Great Battle.

One of the most successful projects that Jung Eun Chae starred in was Hong Sang Soo 's Nobody's Daughter Haewon. In the work, she collaborated with actor Lee Sun Kyun.

Nobody's Daughter Haewon  received many nominations at World Film Festivals such as Berlin, Melbourne, BFI London, Busan. The film also helped her win the Best New Actress Award at the Busan Film Critics Awards 2013, Buil Film Awards 2013.

Jung Eun Chae is still single and very quiet about private life. Last year, she once strongly denied rumors related to the club scandal Burning Sun

https://thanhnien.vn/van-hoa/nu-phu-trong-phim-moi-cua-lee-min-ho-xinh-dep-lan-at-nu-chinh-1192300.html

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

https://www.ibtimes.sg/king-eternal-monarch-air-date-spoilers-5-things-know-about-lee-min-ho-starrer-sbs-drama-40580

The King: Eternal Monarch air date, spoilers: 5 things to know about Lee Min Ho starrer SBS drama

From a complicated love triangle to a special bond between two friends, here are the five things to know about Lee Min Ho's comeback drama The King: Eternal Monarch.

Lee Min Ho is getting ready to hit the small screens of South Korea with a new drama, titled The King: Eternal Monarch. The historical fantasy thriller is just a month away from its premiere and SBS has increased the curiosity of Korean drama (K-Drama) lovers around the globe by revealing some new details about the show.

The broadcasting channel recently released the photos and character details of each of the cast members in the upcoming mini-series. The star-studded casting includes Lee Min Ho as Emperor Lee Gon, Kim Go Eun as detective Jung Tae Eul, Woo Do Hwan as Jo Eun Seob and Jo Young, Kim Kyung Nam as detective Kang Shin Jae and Jung Eun Chae as Gu Seo Ryung.

What is the role of Lee Min Ho in The King: Eternal Monarch?

In the upcoming SBS drama, The Legend of the Blue Sea star will portray a third generation emperor of Korea. The character is described as a perfect ruler, who is very calm and has good looks. Though the people thinks that Lee Gon is a sophisticated person, he is a very sensitive, quiet and compulsive person.

In the mini-series, Lee Min Ho's character thinks that palace is the only safe place for him to stay on earth. Still, he tries to escape from the palace at times because he knows that his father was killed by a group of people in the palace. During one of his attempts to escape from the palace, he meets detective Jung Tae Eul.

Who is detective Jung Tae Eul?

She is a very brave detective, who grew-up with a dream of becoming a successful police officer. During her six years of journey with the crime world, she caught many people who committed crime intentionally. However, her life takes an unexpected turn after she meets Emperor Lee Gon.

Though she is a detective in modern Korea, she was a criminal in the parallel world. Her name was Luna and she was known for theft, document forgery as well as breaking and entering houses.It is also worth noting that the Emperor identified her as a person who was inside the palace when his father got killed.

What are the other things to look forward in The King: Eternal Monarch?

The historical fantasy thriller is likely to feature a love triangle between Emperor Lee Gon, detective Jung Tae Eul and Prime Minister Gu Seo Ryung. A character description for Jung Eun Chae's character says that she starts developing feeling for Lee Min Ho's character at some point in the story. And, the character takes a dangerous path when she finds out that the Emperor likes someone else.

The Korean drama lovers can also look forward to a special bond between the Emperor and his bodyguard, Jo Young, in the upcoming SBS drama. The characters grow up like good friends or siblings and they continue to help each other in both the worlds.

The King: Eternal Monarch is written by screenwriter Kim Eun Sook and it is slated to premiere in April on SBS.

• Like 7

After reading the descriptions of the various characters, I am hoping there is a bromance between Lee Gon and Jo Young.  I'll be crushed if Jo Young betrays Lee Gon.  

@1ouise:  Good eyes!  I didn't recognize that the same actress was in BOF!

Hope we will get our first trailer this week!

• Like 4

https://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=minho&no=682943

English translation is according to Chinese translation by 何夕.

(The last 2 paragraphs are the supplements by OP)

Masks were required before the start of the filming, and more than 30 children also wore masks.

The interior of the palace is particularly large. The space that His Majesty is going to live in is so beautiful, so I was especially looking forward to Lee Gon coming out of that space. Because it was a formal occasion, he wore a royal suit, not a uniform. Well, the dress that appeared in the trailer—the one worn by the king—had Lee Gon's intention. But the color was different, it was another color, he is the emperor himself, so handsome ! The protectors (parents) of other children were also fascinated, and the fathers also lamented that he was really like a king.

When facing the children, he was the king of infinite kindness. When not filming, he might think that the children who reciting the lines were very cute and couldn't stop laughing...... When the first time I came to the filming site, he came over and  his clothes fluttered, I looked at him and my heart seemed to stop.

The color of the clothes is not the color we are familiar with. In the previous TV series, the king wore red, yellow, blue, and black, but unlike these colors. People praised LMH that he's really shining and had a great figure, especially his temperament. The staff are also very kind to the children.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2020 at 11:19 AM, snuggone said:

So based on this relationship chart, Lee Min-ho will only be playing Emperor Lee Gon who, I'm guessing, travels between both worlds. 

Reveal hidden contents

Ugh I'm so excited!  

No double role? April so close feeling excited.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Wind0406 said:

No double role? April so close feeling excited.

Hi @Wind0406, based on the character diagram, LMH will only play one role. Three other actors will play double roles, including KGE.

49 minutes ago, mizv said:

Hey is the drama being pre-filmed?

Hi @mizv, yes, they have been filming since October last year. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mizv said:

@syntyche Great that means will get to see the Master Kisser.  was wondering if real life of virus would interfere physical contact. LMH is too good a kisser to pass :lol: 

Didn't Lee gon's description say that he doesn't like to be touched?:huh: But maybe if he initiates contact then it's ok!:D

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

I wonder they will be trageting 30% with this? Its been long since any mini series hit 30%. I think this show will do it. Internationally i can see it getting huge popularity as its lee min ho's show

What i like is that kim eun sook and investors trust in lee min ho. He has flawless drama record with 1 drama over 30% ( boys over flowers ), 3 dramas over 20% ( heirs, city hunter , lotbs ) . Even personal taste and faith performed , in current time they will be called hits lol. He has 4 dramas over 20% all before his 30th birthday. No wonder kim eun sook wanted it. She has standards for leading men, and SBS really love LMH. They have trust in him with so many hit dramas over and over. If you want lee min ho to drama, you must be writer on kim eun sook or cloy's writer level currently. He is that huge of a star.

• Like 7

K-Dramas to Reach Netflix in 2020

The King: Eternal Monarch

Episodes: 16

Date of airing in South Korea: April 17, 2020 

Network: SBS

Netflix release date: April 18, 2020 – June 7, 2020 

Airing time: TBA

Cast : Lee Min Ho, Kim Go Eun, Woo Do Hwan, Kim Kyung Nam, Jung Eun Chase

ESwRnoxVAAAXlSl?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://newsdio.com/k-dramas-will-reach-netflix-in-2020/66713/

It seems that 'The King' would start to be available on Netflix a day after its premiere on SBS on April 17 :)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1