[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

Improvement, not much but anything is better than nothing. And i think  we can take positive that second half showed growth.

Now next week, i hope it picks up! I am optimistic. Atleast it stopped negative trending of decreasing rating for last 3 episodes and increased from previous episodes in both half.

Now next week, director needs to make it worth watching from very start of the episode. Please more thrills! But i hope the lost viewers,  give it a chance again.because it deserve double digit.

We have still 12 episodes left, but next 2 weeks are most crucial to decide  it's  fate! Let's  hope for the best

Best decision i took to leave negatives out and real good posts here. It made a huge difference

Nation wide

8.0% and 9.7%

Seoul

8.8%, 10.1%

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Heirs had 2 advantages.

First,

It was in 2013 when ratings were still better and no netflix for people in korea to watch it anytime. As king is number one on netflix. 

Second, 

Heirs had 10 weeks run compared to king's  8.

Heirs hit 20%  in 7th week and kept it till it's  end. 

If king hit 20% in finale week, it will be on par with fiery priest, the biggest sbs hit of 2019.

So let's  pray that next week, episodes are awesome and audience pick it up. It needs one week of awesome episodes to grab audience. Right now fans are bringing such  decent ratings showing the power of star. But we need general audience from next week and the way second half ended, there is hope. That things will turn around. But director and team should see the editing and see if changes are necessary! No more slow pacing please. 

Right now season average is 9.5% for 2 weeks which is not bad, but yeah double digit would've been more. Heirs first 2 weeks average was 11.05 %. So it needs to have same trajectory now! We are in long run. Let's  be optimistic because today's episode has made  me.

I hope 4th episode gets such love, that positive word of mouth spreads everywhere

• Like 10

Whoo episode 4 brought everything together and signaled a new chapter. gonna be fun having our heroin in his world. :D 

I really find our king charming. I like his soft tone, but also having the aura of a king. Also love our TE way off handling this crazy person and also the way she could not ignore all the sign that what he is say is true. She gonna be a very funn queen. 

Also many smal but important clue for the parallel world, but also raise some questions. Gonna be interesting to see what it all is about. 

Lee rim is really a scary bad guy since he is very ahead of our king, but I am glad our king did feel his uncle is not dead. 

Really looking forward to next week for the new episode. I am hooked now writernim!

call me crazy  for sayin this, but since many loved this episode I have the feeling rating gonna go up next week as writer have rilled many in now! 

• Like 13

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20200426

The fourth episode of the SBS Friday-Saturday drama "The King-Eternal Monarch" (written by Kim Eun-sook/directed by Baek Sang-hoon, produced by Jung Ji-hyun/produced by Hwa & Dam Pictures) aired on Saturday recorded 8.8 percent in the first part of Nielsen Korea, 10.1 percent in the second part of the metropolitan area, and 6.9 percent in the 20-49 age group viewership. At the moment, the highest viewer rating rose to 11.6 percent, topping the all-channel time slot for the fourth consecutive session.

http://pop.heraldcorp.com/view.php?ud=202004260730336816706_1

• Like 10

I haven’t read any of the comments about episode 4 yet because I wanted to watch and react without the input of other views. Having said that all I can say is that today's episode lived up to all my hopes and then some. Everything was just perfect about this episode. The music, the action, the acting everything kept me on the edge of my chair and my heart in my throat. For those who complained about Jo Eun-Seob's character being boring and not wanting to waste time on him. Well in this episode how could you not want to cry for him and the position his mother put him in. Watching what happened you can see all the internal conflict his character will probably have to face in the future when he will be called to make some very tough moral choices. Also more clues like breadcrumbs are left to point the way. Time seems to stop for the king and his evil uncle. Why and for how long and does it affect the stability of the two worlds. The other reasons this episode kept me on the edge of my chair are the subtle ways the music set the mood. There was also the rapid fire way we kept switching back and forth between the two worlds as the writers began to knit together some of the clues we already know. Now all the little things that Jung Tae-eul made fun of and questioned in the first three episodes are answered in ways that make sense only if this  guy is who he said he is and there is indeed a parallel universe. Now Jung Tae-eul knows that the world is “indeed round’ because not only her head but her heart says it's so. She crosses into his world. What comes next is the true start of this rollercoaster of a drama ride. I can’t wait for next week.

• Like 11
  • Love 1

I hate comparing dramas but it’s ok to compare lmh dramas to each other right? Lol. The King is on another level of writing than heirs. The build up is already in place, the characters are complex with depths and layers, the love is more mature, the villain is a threat, what more can I say? If the ratings doesn’t beat heirs, I’ll be questioning Korean viewers lol.

Today’s ratings was an improvement, which is great! And today’s episode speaks for itself so they might just go higher next week. :D

@lindas55 agree, shin jae’s backstory was needed for today’s episode and more to come. I’m beginning to develop a liking for so many characters. 

Patience is key. It was worth it :D. Next thing to anticipate is the showdown between LG and LL. Wait, there’s plenty of things to anticipate and that is how I know this drama will not run out of excitement. We also have the love and the mysterious savior to anticipate. *sigh* I already know I’ll love it all!

• Like 17
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

Actully to be honest The King: Eternal Monarch is in more disadvantage position than a CABLE TV drama currently. I think we should straight out the ratings topic once and for all. 

Yes other dramas have been on Netflix but this is the second time a drama is double airing simultaneously at the same time on 2 platforms Netflix korea and SBS channel. This is something new and it only happened previously to Mr.Sunshine and it was not that popular amongst I-fans so nobody really took notice but double simultaneously airing at the same time is even worse than being only on CABLE TV. What do I mean by double airing simultaneously at the same time? Literally airing on the same day on Netflix Korea and SBS channel while both platforms are crowded as hell so you got the younger generation will opt for Netflix while the old generations SBS channel. 

We haven't really been in this territory before this is a new thing and only happened to Mr. Sunshine before. I was thinking for myself all this time why would KES release this on Netflix at the same time but I guess they paid part of the budget and want it to air simultaneously. But it would be redundant holding these ratings against TKEM if anything it should be viewed from a good POV. It's just not fair being on double platforms simultaneously and being judged on one it dosen't make sense. Atleast being on CABLE you are on one platform where subscriber can buy to watch you but here you have 2 platforms where as one is more crowded than the other and in this case it's netflix on laptops, PCs, TV's and Ipads. We haven't been rational about the simultaneously airing factor at all. 

Imagine if Avengers or another blackbuster movie was airing simultaneously on Netflix and on the cinema people will take notice but somehow alot people failed to do so here to notice this factor is just redundant but it's the objective view that it's airing simultaneously currently and we should judge it upon that. Example it clearly underlines on wikipedia that CABLE Tv shows are judged as half but for simultaneously airing tv-shows they should be given even less than half I would say more like 30%

My exact sentiment. 

I was wondering all this time how we didn't take notice of the simultaneously airing factor. It's a significant factor where as these who actully catch it on TV could be only like 20% of it's actual viewers within the country. Tv-shows airing simultaneously should have new criteria from here on out I am sure many Tv-shows will run into the same issues since Netflix will invest in the budget.

Also one of the reasons Netflix would want it to air simultaneously is to avoid getting pirated by other illegal platforms while airing so they want to increase in membership and subscribers from Kdrama consumers

• Like 9
  • Insightful 1

9 hours ago, Ima04 said:

Hello.. long lurker here.. just drop by for asking question that've been bothering me.

I cannot recall where i read this but the explanation about Jo Yeong having this pitied eyes toward LG (what he's been hiding).

And the char of Jo Eun Seop that was bright and playfull match well with JY char when he's still kid.

I wonder if there is something happen during those 25 years that change his char or a plot twist that JY also getting swap while still a little, thus he's actually also working for LR but in the end being loyal to LG.

I'm sorry of i have this wild imagination :D

Anything is possible in a fantasy drama.... :)  but I really hope it doesn't happen .... their history together is too long ... however let's wait and see :ph34r:  

At this moment I really have to take notes and pictures of who's who in both world.. otherwise I myself will be confused :blush: 

* There are characters that exist in both world

* There are characters that only exist in one world (It might be because one has been killed/dead or  hasn't been found yet)

Reference of the Casts / characters

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

If the ratings doesn’t beat heirs, I’ll be questioning Korean viewers lol.

And I am saying you most ironic thing:lol: LMH had never a drama with 7% rating previously, I looked Personal Taste and Faith and shock (because some people don't know more PT and Faith got criticism in air era , even they got at least 10% ) BOF, Heirs, City Hunter, LOBS we already know surpassed 20%)  this is complex and mature (and KES+ most waited drama etc.) but this got 7% , so Conclusion If this drama won't 20% this is inexplicability :lol: PATIENCE the end .:D

• Like 9
  • Insightful 2

7 hours ago, Deepakmahajan said:

One line caught my attention in first ten minutes. He said King's every moment is recorded in Corea's history and he want it to last forever.......

also ice tea scene. Was really ice tea hot or Woo hwan's character in korea felt the same heat , like his character felt in corea with hot coffee! That was interesting

I also caught these 2 scenes and think they are important to the conflict ahead.  First we see lots of hints that being king is a great responsibility.  Responsibility can also mean great sacrifice. I hate to say this so early in the game but I as much as I want the king and the Lt. to stay together in his world don’t count on that. The tea scene shows that when a character is hurt in his/ her  world the parallel in the other world might also feel the pain. I think as the line between the 2 worlds weakens more and more stress is placed on the people who live in both worlds.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 3

57 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

Actully to be honest The King: Eternal Monarch is in more disadvantage position than a CABLE TV drama currently. I think we should straight out the ratings topic once and for all. 

Yes other dramas have been on Netflix but this is the second time a drama is double airing simultaneously at the same time on 2 platforms Netflix korea and SBS channel. This is something new and it only happened previously to Mr.Sunshine and it was not that popular amongst I-fans so nobody really took notice but double simultaneously airing at the same time is even worse than being only on CABLE TV. What do I mean by double airing simultaneously at the same time? Literally airing on the same day on Netflix Korea and SBS channel while both platforms are crowded as hell so you got the younger generation will opt for Netflix while the old generations SBS channel. 

We haven't really been in this territory before this is a new thing and only happened to Mr. Sunshine before. I was thinking for myself all this time why would KES release this on Netflix at the same time but I guess they paid part of the budget and want it to air simultaneously. But it would be redundant holding these ratings against TKEM if anything it should be viewed from a good POV. It's just not fair being on double platforms simultaneously and being judged on one it dosen't make sense. Atleast being on CABLE you are on one platform where subscriber can buy to watch you but here you have 2 platforms where as one is more crowded than the other and in this case it's netflix on laptops, PCs, TV's and Ipads. We haven't been rational about the simultaneously airing factor at all. 

Imagine if Avengers or another blackbuster movie was airing simultaneously on Netflix and on the cinema people will take notice but somehow alot people failed to do so here to notice this factor is just redundant but it's the objective view that it's airing simultaneously currently and we should judge it upon that. Example it clearly underlines on wikipedia that CABLE Tv shows are judged as half but for simultaneously airing tv-shows they should be given even less than half I would say more like 30%

If only they say us in the circumstances how much rating is said succesful ?because really this Netflix case is different , so we can't get stressed so much :lol:

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

EWfO4KKXsAIvK9F?format=jpg&name=medium

@leeminhosny

It's an anomaly for both LMH and KES but understandably and for a good reason. It's airing simultaneously that will naturally take by default huge junk of the viewers. If anything the current numbers is an overachievement. there is approx 3-4 million subscribers in SK Netflix and these are consumers not just casual subscribers

• Like 5