[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

11 minutes ago, YongZura⁷ said:

Some of us think that he's originally from the Kingdom of Corea, but let's confirm it in the next episode and he is one of those people that has only one character's name.

now i'm hopping onto this theory!!! ah the suspense is killing me.

18 minutes ago, Dramafreak said:

He remembers the symbol from his nightmares or childhood memories?

then it leaves more question on what went on during his childhood!!

im definitely suspecting shinjae and his affiliation to Corea.. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

I wrote in an earlier post that I suspected that Shin Jae's true origins were Mon. Corea and his mother and himself had switched places with the ones from Rep. Korea.

Next episode will be so interesting in relation to SJ.  It is also possible that he is the only one who had been moved/switched to Korea  and not his biological mother.

My question - Is Manpasijeok the only key to travel to and fro from the two worlds.  If it is,  how do the other ordinary people move from here and there .....if LG uses Maximus ... what transportation did his uncle use?

I think I need to rest  :D

• Like 11

I can't get over how overt the PPL is this drama... I mean we all know it's a necessary and common part of k-dramas but this is relentless and soo distracting. The pacing crawls because they're constantly doing closeups of bloody product. It's driving me nuts.

• Like 3

I am enjoying the drama and will keep tuning in. 

But I cannot deny there is something that bother me... the directing flow... I was curious so I looked up the director and found out that he is the same director who did Descendant of the sun, Who are you 2015 and his latest work is Love in the moonlight (park bo gum and kim yoo jung) in 2016. To be fair, all these dramas are all popular and possessed the addicting factor but known to slooooow a lot down in the later half of the series. 

Since the very first episode until this latest episode: the story is intriguing, casts and characters are fantastic (I am a fan of Kim Go Eun and her charms), but there is just a tiny bit of some pet peeve regarding directing. The presentation of timeline extremely confusing.  Today episode show Kim Go Eun submitted the card application then boom it's november and she got the card back. How long have Lee Min Ho gone back to his country? I understand it is a difficult story to tell, because of the parallel worlds and each world have identical characters with different roles. 

What I am trying to point out is that because I am a fan of the casts, I am watching drama actively by focusing and processing all the details throughout. But an average viewer won't do that, they need to be drawn in by emphasized details and rather obvious tropes. I can see why people find it confusing and boring.

• Like 8
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1

53 minutes ago, Aleenaaa said:

Thanks to ohchloe for this!! For those who get confused between the characters (like me:D)

Thanks for sharing this. 

Hyungnim's mom and the counterpart in Corea... ohhhh

The kid is the counterpart of the yoyo kid. So the yoyo kid's mom is definitely not hyungnim's mom!

The kids and their connection to future. One was playing with a circular ball that goes back and forth (like time?), other has a long onscreen conversation over a very meaningful id badge...ohhh

The bookseller right hand man of evil uncle is in Korea, right?

On one hand, i want to see romance but on the other the mystery will be fun! I wonder if they will be able to do justice to a good suspense/thriller plot in their execution.

Ok time to not think of the king!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Dramafreak said:

The bookseller right hand man of evil uncle is in Korea, right?

I made a mistake here, so editing. Bookseller man is in Corea, while the driver is in Korea. I checked again

On one hand, i want to see romance but on the other the mystery will be fun! I wonder if they will be able to do justice to a good suspense/thriller plot in their execution.

Ok time to not think of the king!

Its so difficult to do:P Every time I watch the episode again trying to find some clues, I end up watching all king's scenes:lol:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@kaqueski you are not alone. I agree: problem is with the director's vision/execution (that is why the storytelling is not smooth). Humourous potential not reached, characters are not shown so it is difficult to associate with them, some pauses are awkward instead of meaningful.

Someone had shared character descriptions... thank u. It is interesting how detailed those are but nothing is shown to us in the drama, yet. Am specially pointing to Eun Sup's life, PM's character is divorced? Even the police guy who heads the crime team is supposed to be important. Luna just has 3 months to live??

*Noone asked but i think you guys should not worry about ratings as this drama will be a commercial hit coz star power will pull it through. Only 10% chances that it wont be and that would be if the director really really mucks it up! However, i am not into ratings or successes so I will only think about the story and not get into that discussion at all. I couldnt resist this so typed it but that is not my sphere of interest.*

• Like 7
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, kboramint said:

Netflix doesn't show it's ratings. 

I am not asking about ratings I am asking about rankings in its first week it toped Netflix charts in many countries that's why I am asking how it's doing in its second week on Netflix

• Like 1

Last scene i feel it will be tragic love story which will be now focal point  with fantasy mixed up i can't stop replaying. It was epic scene. And i want more of such scenes please!

And the king's tune.  I always thought where i have heard it. It reminds me of  this

It is similar to sailor moon anime where moon princess had a tragic love story with earth's prince. If you listen care fully from 2:20 onwards in both videos or maybe i m overthinking. Will we have tragic story here? I am fan of sad endings lol

Luna was cat of sailor moon by the way lol. Luna is kim go eun's other name in parallel universe. 

• Like 9

18 hours ago, marrez1 said:

so her police teammate seems to have crossed too, would have been good for her, I would have liked the love triangle to be with the character of woo do hwan, he is very sexy in this costume, and that would have brought more tension and complication

Personally, I hope there won't be any love triangle... I hate that trope. 

14 hours ago, Wis dom said:

I saw in the description something about him releasing demons there is so many things that need answers

Actually, I think they meant HIM as the "demon" being released...

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks!
  • Like 9
  • Insightful 1

5 hours ago, scrawford said:

Since watching the 2nd time, why don’t we talk about that library scene??

i feel like the ending stole the rest of the show, but that library scene is as beautiful as it is mellow. And the song is perfect. 

601a99a7-be65-498d-9d33-46d413e8d725142w

Agree to that .....  :blush: and the song

Credit to the owner

• Like 10
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KanKan said:

It is me or does it look like the villan does not age while he is in Republic of Korea because he is not in his rightful world? Thus that would make the main couple a tragic one where Jung Tae-Eul won't age along Lee Gon. It's not like The King can just go over Republic of Korea to waste some of his years there.

That's the thought that is worrying me the most... :cold_sweat:

@Linwe: I agree with you on the PPL... It's in-your-face and frankly annoying. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

@Dramafreak  I checked asianwiki and the real name of the actor who is playing Lee Jong In is Jeon Moo song who is related to royal palace. This is his character description which I got from Chinese Wikipedia (there might be some mistakes since it is google translation)

And I'm really confused now!!

"The Corean royal family ranked second in the royal family, the cousin of Li Gon ’s father. He is a medical student and currently serves as a professor at his almamater, but if Emperor Li Gon is unpredictable, he will be the first to inherit the sequence. He was an imperial family who failed to ascend to the throne. After three generations, he was excluded from politics and power. However, whenever there were differences in the order of succession when the regimes changed, the number of people who came to him will increase. With the shadow of conspiracy. But those insidious words did not shake his integrity. He sent his blood to overseas to calm down the rumors."

• Like 6

14 hours ago, KanKan said:

It is me or does it look like the villan does not age while he is in Republic of Korea because he is not in his rightful world? Thus that would make the main couple a tragic one where Jung Tae-Eul won't age along Lee Gon. It's not like The King can just go over Republic of Korea to waste some of his years there.

If LG cannot live with JTE in Rep.Korea, why don’t JTE go live with him in Mon.Corea instead? LoL 

btw, I think the person who JTE is looking for in Mon.Corea is Luna tho. Not ShinJae. She saw Luna once inside her car. That similar face must remain stuck in her head somehow.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1