[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

15 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I believe that both worlds are starting to merge because Lee Lim has sent people from one world to the other world. And this means that at some point only one world would exist and Lee Lim would rule over both worlds.

I don't get it... How is that supposed to work? Even if he substituted a bunch of people, what about all the other dopplegangers? There are like, 7.5 billions of them... Would they disappear or something? And what about the cities, the buildings etc? Would they merge/superimpose? If not, which one of the two worlds would disappear altogether, and why? 

• Like 3

Has there been a post where the whole preview was analyzed?? The preview is so busy I can't keep up without the slow motion video being set up.

Ep 1-4 has been a slow build up. I am actually hoping the writer flashes out the other 2 male characters. They looks cute but ain't got a clue what makes them tick. Or their personalities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2020 at 9:03 AM, CarolynH said:

Unfortunately, I too, felt the first half was boring.  I actually walked away from the TV several times.  The detective's back story could have been placed, perhaps later in the drama.   To place those scenes so early in the drama when you're trying to capture viewers doesn't seem smart.  I also find the random scenes with the PM odd. 

I want to see more of LG and his bodyguard.  Those scenes definitely captured my attention.  

Please be better ep 4!

Does Lee Gon still have the neck scar in Korea?

Those aren't the detectives back story, the story is kinda in flash back.

Those scenes are present story. Kim go en universe is behind the universe of lmh.

The story is more layered than you think.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, lebritneeey said:

Really can't wait for next week because it's time to see how taeeul would adapt to his world. though from the preview i can tell that lee geon will defo protect her from all the scrutiny she's gonna get. tho i was confused at the scene where she raised the gun at him, wonder what happened there!!

The gun scene in the preview was initially a shock, but after re-watching it a few times I noticed ...

1) shes pointing the gun at either JY or LG - I'm thinking JY

2) the kings guard unit are the ones who met them at the gateway

3) they are all still dressed as they were at the end of ep 4

I'm guessing this scene takes place soon after their arrival in Corea

JTE was at work when she got the call from LG, and drove straight to him. Odds are she was still armed from work when she went through the gateway.  I'm guessing JY being the meticulous Captain of the Guard that he is, either tries to pat her down ( dont see LG allowing this but...) and finds the gun, or he or one of the guards notices it on her hip and sounds the alarm. Either way, I'm guessing someone tries to disarm her, and you just know our girl isn't having any of that :lol:

I see LG quickly defusing the situation, and JY begrudgingly giving her some respect for the way she handles herself - Also, you can just see LG teasing JY endlessly that a girl got the drop on him.  

Looking forward to see how it really plays out

LCO

• Like 9

14 hours ago, briseis said:

There is absolutely nothing straight about this!

Poor clueless Lee Gon, who only left his palace for a week, has no idea that while he was taking his vacation in a parallel world and wooing the girl of his dreams he has become an LQBTQ icon in a relationship with his best friend/bodyguard thanks to his PR department (read: his beloved Court Lady Noh and her favourite fanfic author).

Where can I read this fanfic? :kiss_closed:

• LOL 5
  • Awesome 1

4 hours ago, Linwe said:

I can't get over how overt the PPL is this drama... I mean we all know it's a necessary and common part of k-dramas but this is relentless and soo distracting. The pacing crawls because they're constantly doing closeups of bloody product. It's driving me nuts.

I agree, this is one of my dislike. Please make it more subtle and less obvious, pleaseeeeee

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aleenaaa said:

The bookseller right hand man is in corea, cause that’s where the tea lady go to put the message about the Kong’s where about. Where he is in the palace or left the palace, and there his doppledanger in rep. Korea which is his driver. Lee rim gave him a book and he told this driver that his doppledanger wants him (the Korea version) to read it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, jerboa83 said:

I don't get it... How is that supposed to work? Even if he substituted a bunch of people, what about all the other dopplegangers? There are like, 7.5 billions of them... Would they disappear or something? And what about the cities, the buildings etc? Would they merge/superimpose? If not, which one of the two worlds would disappear altogether, and why? 

The fact that Eun Sub could feel the heat from the mug of coffee, although he was holding iced tea, clearly showed that both worlds overlap. Furthermore both persons were doing something similar. That's why I said that it seems that both worlds are merging and I would say that Rep. Korea would be the world to disappear, since the sensation of the heat coming from Mon. Corea was stronger than the coldness from the iced tea. I think, the more LG and LL are going from one world to the other and they are sending people from Rep. Korea to Mon. Corea, the more the influence of one Mon. Corea will increase over Rep. Korea.

As for the doppelgängers, I would say that people from Rep. Korea would disappear.  

But that's just a theory based on these observations.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Awesome 3
  • Insightful 2

I don't know if this is relevant or not but just happened to notice something. In episode 1, when JTE sees Luna in the car at that time LG was crossing the worlds (coming to Korea from Corea) as few seconds later we can see LG with his horse in Korea. And in episode 4, when ES felt hot on touching iced latte while JY felt hot too in Corea at that time also LG was crossing the worlds (going back to Corea from Korea) as few seconds later JY is informed that LG is spotted. I don't know if there's a connection between these two things but this is what I found common in both the cases.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 8

So who else is in my prayer circle begging for more bromance between the king & his body guard? :D 

AUSTIN EVICTION PRAYER CIRCLE: ontdbb — LiveJournal

jo young | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

1 hour ago, elsanna said:

About the 11 Nov scene...I am little confused...did the time past and she didn't realised or she skipped time:blink: help guys

At the time of requesting a fresh id card she asked the relevant staff whether it gets issued in October to which the staff says yes. But the actual id issued date was 11/11 so she's caught off guard since lee gon's words troubled her. She did not expect the date of id card issuance to be 11/11 like lee gon told her

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks!
  • Like 9
  • LOL 2

@serendipity... No bromance for me. :sweatingbullets:

Just LG and JTE the whole 1 hour every Friday and Saturday can?

:wub:

I mean....

Look at them!

tenor.gif?itemid=16961867

tenor.gif?itemid=16961868

credits to owner of the gif

That spark!!

Spoiler

tenor.gif?itemid=14440841

Swooooooooooooon!!!!

Be still my heart.....:wub:

@bebebisous33 hmmm.. evil step uncle is taking away my spark. 

Other than not aging, will he has any other magical power? It seems that stopping time is new to him when LG finally crossed over.

• Like 9
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

I would say that Rep. Korea would be the world to disappear, since the sensation of the heat coming from Mon. Corea was stronger than the coldness from the iced tea.

I'm not sure about that: you might be overthinking that detail... Touching an unexpectedly scalding object would startle you more than touching an unexpectedly cold one. It's how somatic reflex arcs work: excessive heat is dangerous, so when sensory neurons detect it, spinal motor neurons instantly activate and your body responds to it even before the signal is routed through the brain and the brain has finished analyzing it. The resulting movement is involuntary, and there's a trade-off between speed and control: jerking away from a mug, you might end up spilling the content and make the damage even worse, but (statistically) it's a risk worth taking, and that's why evolution selected that automatism. Cold might be dangerous too, but not as much, so the reaction to it is often mediated by the brain and much more controlled.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2020/04/688_288533.html

'The King: Eternal Monarch' yet to impress viewers

By Dong Sun-hwa | 2020-04-26

030788-B0-1780-400-F-8-AE0-CF3-A4-E273-D
"The King: Eternal Monarch." Courtesy of SBS

SBS's romantic fantasy "The King: Eternal Monarch," starring Lee Min-ho and Kim Go-eun, has been one of the year's most anticipated TV series, but is yet to impress viewers. 

The first episode on April 17 scored 11.4 percent viewership, but the rating has been falling since, apart from a slight rebound on Saturday to 9.7 percent. 

The 16-part drama, set in a "parallel universe," is a romantic story about two people living in different "worlds." Lee Min-ho plays Lee Gon, an imaginary Korean Emperor who tries to fight against evil, and Kim Go-eun appears as detective Jung Tae-eul.

The series has been the talk of the town from the beginning because it was to be penned by star writer Kim Eun-sook. She was behind the success of hit soap operas including "Descendants of the Sun (2016)", "Guardian: The Lonely and Great God (2016)" and "Mr. Sunshine (2018)." Most of her creations posted record viewership here and gained massive popularity in Asia, propelling actors such as Song Joong-ki to stardom. 

People's expectations for her latest offering reached a peak when two high-profile actors were revealed for the lead roles. The show is Lee Min-ho's first drama since he was discharged from the military last April. 

But "The King: Eternal Monarch" is struggling. Numerous viewers point out that its storyline is hard to grasp and that the overall directing lacks proficiency. 

"It was difficult for me to understand the plot without having previous knowledge about a 'parallel universe,'" a viewer commented. 

Another wrote, "It seems the scenes are not connected to each other."

Some people also claim the script is making them cringe, while others said the acting was not subtle enough.

"I cannot really get immersed in the series and empathize with the characters," a viewer said. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, serendipity... said:

@mrsj3n lead couple is doing great but hey I'm all in for some good bromance!! Lee gon & his body guard are my fav things about the show. Last time I was this psyched for bromance was for tony & cap lol

3 cheers for awesome bromance *clap clap*

Yes yes..

I get you! :D

The best bromance for me was in Goblin.

That chemistry was undeniable. 

For now, the bromance between LG and JY is feeling a little lukewarm for me. Perhaps because JY is all seriousness unlike his cute little self back then.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

19 minutes ago, Helena said:

"It was difficult for me to understand the plot without having previous knowledge about a 'parallel universe,'" a viewer commented. 

Another wrote, "It seems the scenes are not connected to each other."

Not gonna lie but I do feel the same way. Even now I'm lost with the transitions between the two worlds and some characters. Hope it gets better and less confusing in future episodes. Thankfully this forum and the lovely members are there to clarify things otherwise I'd be a complete loser lol 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, jerboa83 said:

I'm not sure about that: you might be overthinking that detail... Touching an unexpectedly scalding object would startle you more than touching an unexpectedly cold one. It's how somatic reflex arcs work: excessive heat is dangerous, so when sensory neurons detect it, spinal motor neurons instantly activate and your body responds to it even before the signal is routed through the brain and the brain has finished analyzing it. The resulting movement is involuntary, and there's a trade-off between speed and control: jerking away from a mug, you might end up spilling the content and make the damage even worse, but (statistically) it's a risk worth taking, and that's why evolution selected that automatism. Cold might be dangerous too, but not as much, so the reaction to it is often mediated by the brain and much more controlled.

But the point is: why should the director shoot such a scene if it is not relevant at all? The overlapping of what happened Mon. Corea and Rep. Korea to the same person is a weird coincidence and it happened at the same time... That's why I thought about it.  

• Like 6