[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

8 hours ago, AgentQuake said:
Spoiler

Oh my gosh, I finally have a computer to type on so I can express all of the million of thoughts that are in my head.

Over-arching Reaction:  The show has problems.  There's no way around it.  Pacing is weird, some of the directive choices they've made doesn't make sense, the story is TOO BIG for 16 episodes, and they're not helping with the slow-mo time sucks and the weird focus on things that seem highly unnecessary.  But that being said...it's fine. 

The show isn't your typical plug and play Kdrama.  I know everyone's on a high right now because of CLOY/Itaewon Class/Hi Bye Mama/Hospital Playlist/The World of The Married, but TV shows and kdramas especially aren't usually at that level.  We're in our own really bizarre timeline right now where every drama has been slaying it, but is also an easy watch full of feel-good emotions and sobs.  This one is nothing of the sort.  This requires a lot more thought and is basically a sci-fi/magic/mystery show with a side of romance.  It's BEAUTIFUL, and every single thing has meaning.  There's foreshadowing, hidden clues in every image, hints dropped, time loops...it requires the watcher to really be on their A game. 

Is it done perfectly?  No, not at all, haha.  But it's done well enough that I'm absolutely intrigued and it gets better on rewatches when I smack my head and go OH MY GOD.  I mean...one of the body doubles we saw in episode 8 was selling water in episode 1.  One of the guys they did a 2 second pause on at the funeral in episode 4 is also an ROK doppleganger.  It's VERY satisfying upon rewatch, and that's why I'm not frustrated by what I'm seeing in episodes 7/8, and so on.  It's going to loop back around and make sense.  Everything about this show tells me that it's going to be all unanswered questions until it all loops back together, and stuff like that usually doesn't happen in Kdrama.  My Holo Love sort of did it earlier this year, and it was just baby steps compared to this.

Actors:  They're all slaying it.  I know LMH's kind of gotten some comments about being stiff, but it would be weird if he wasn't.  He's also one of the few (besides PM and SJ, so far) who have not been able to act on a complete 180 degree turn with two characters.  WDH is brilliant, but he's also got two completely different characters to play so we can SEE the difference.  His characters also aren't subtle at all, so he gets to chew the scenery.  KGE is the same with her characters.  I actually JUST watched Legend of the Blue Sea again and Heo Joon Jae is a total himbo.  It's a COMPLETELY different person.  As a modern monarch who's went through a superhero/supervillain level tragedy when he was younger, he basically had to compartmentalize and become a super careful person.  He's a positive person who was surrounded by the love of Head Lady Noh, Prince Buyeong, Jo Yeong.  He also grasped onto the concept of JTE as something to give him hope for the future, and she was basically his guardian angel.  But we're starting to see the cracks and he's being pushed to his limits, and it's that subtle acting that we haven't seen from LMH before.  It started in episode 4 when he couldn't wear the tie, and is happening in more and more scenes now.  I'm expecting a total meltdown at some point towards the end, and it's going to be VERY deserved because we're starting to see the pieces fall apart. 

Whew.

Sorry for the massive wall of text!  It's all been festering in my brain haha.  I'm excited to join you guys over here. 

Are you me?  These are my thoughts exactly!

The pacing issue wouldn't be much of a problem if we didn't have so many characters to juggle.  I mean, the Lee Sang-Do case started way back in Episode 1, it's already Episode 9 and we don't have a resolution yet (although internet sleuths  already know what happened).

If I may add, the production values and attention to detail on this show are just superb.  You can tell they really planned this out well right from the very beginning. But as you said, this is such an ambitious project!  I think it would have benefitted also if it were pre-produced, so that the people behind it would already see the finished product from the beginning and would be able to iron out inconsistencies before it even airs.  Heck, I am still bothered by the mystery of the wrong placement of the neck wound to this day.

Your thoughts on the actors are also spot on.  I get it, WDH has a lot of fans and he's a good actor, but I am somewhat amused (slightly bothered?) when I read things like "he's carrying the show"...like what?  Until the last episode when Luna was introduced, WDH is the only one of the main cast who has been allowed to show his range, and that's mainly because his two characters are polar opposites.  The other main cast members are carrying their load quite well, if I may say so. 

• Like 10
  • Love 3

8 minutes ago, Chellsee said:

@Heretorant i love intense LG too in all aspect. May it be in action, drama or in bed scenes.:blush: 

LG's eyes are on fire. Just by his look, LR will be dead.... and so am I! :D

I am floored by your comment! :lol::lol::lol:

Just the thought of it can kill me, imagine when it actually happens :lol::lol::lol:

If looks can kill, consider me dead! His gaze is too much to handle! My soul is currently typing from heaven. 

Your thoughts on the actors are also spot on.  I get it, WDH has a lot of fans and he's a good actor, but I am somewhat amused (slightly bothered?) when I read things like "he's carrying the show"...like what?  Until the last episode when Luna was introduced, WDH is the only one of the main cast who has been allowed to show his range, and that's mainly because his two characters are polar opposites.  The other main cast members are carrying their load quite well, if I may say so.  

May I add my thoughts on this? I think all of the actors are doing phenomenal! I’d also like to say the storyline itself is intriguing and keeps me watching. I’ll watch this show even if the actors I love weren’t in it. Regardless of the editing/directing flaws, regardless of the slow pacing at times, regardless of the excessive amount of investigating and interrogating at the police station, it’s still one hell of an amazing ride! I saw a comment on YouTube that said, “anyone who thinks this show sucks, you need to raise your standards.” I couldn’t help but agree. People who can’t understand it thinks it sucks. But just because you can’t understand something does not mean it’s not beautiful. Imo, this story is beyond typical Korean dramas. It comes off confusing but it just requires attention, patience and brains to understand. It’s not simple and I love it because it’s a wonderful geeky complicated cup of tea. Just my kind! People prefer when stories are simple and things are handed to them. I get it. But once in awhile, I appreciate a story this complex. I love to work my brains, coming up with hundreds of theories and scenarios and breaking down dialogues and poems. I’m also going to give this drama one thing, it takes the cake for the best build up! The anticipation is real! And most of all, it’s unpredictable! How many possible theories have we come up with? How many were right and how many were wrong? When it’s right, we’re mind blown because we figured it out. When it’s wrong, we’re mind blown because it’s unpredictable. It’s been too long since I’ve last seen a drama like this and I’m enjoying it! Is it perfect? Far from it! But it’s still amazing! 

• Like 6
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6

SBS IG update

"I will love my destiny."
The long-awaited second kiss of the LeeEul Couple
But why do they feel so sad?
_
SBS Friday-Saturday drama "The King: Eternal Monarch"
10 p.m. every Friday/Saturday

EYBety6UYAE7WTs?format=jpg&name=small

EYBeuRbXYAQjTiU?format=jpg&name=small

EYBeus6U4AAYJ0M?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by syntyche
  • Like 12
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Dramafreak said:

think even PM's mother who was old enough to remember LR, took time to recognize him. She actually had to go and check a book and that too after LR had been two her shop at least twice... expecting JY (who was 4 years old when the 1994 event happened) to remember LR might be a bit much.

I also think because LG asked him to investigate LR and JTE's id three years back (episode 2 reference), it should be ok for JY to not react too much. He is someone with very few emotions and he cant let fear of anything bog him down. Also, we havent seen enough of him to know what he feels about LR being alive.

I think JY knows LR via family pictures from the palace as LR is related to Lee Gon and comes from the same household. I would say it's safe to assume that he will recognize him

• Like 7
  • Love 1

@syntyche OMG!!

200w.gif

I went back to the post. The gifs finally loaded and after observing your details a few times, I am sold! Two saviors indeed!! First is indeed a shooter that doesn’t miss: he kills in one shot. Second shooter misses, which makes me realize it’s different from the stamina of first shooter. Second savior is for sure LG. I kept replaying that scene where he checks kiddie LG’s pulse. The quick glimpse of his eyes tells me it’s LG. Therefore, my initial thought that LG travelled all the way to the past to save himself is now very possible. Second savior, I think, is JY. Given his tall figure, skinny legs, I am leaning towards JY. It cannot be JTE. Savior is guy-built stature. You guys are amazing for catching such details. I didn’t catch it because everything happened so fast so the initial thought is there is only one savior because we only saw one. But now, it’s way different! (P.S. I love Daejang Choi Young :D )

———

Omo!! Look at that glare of LG during the reunion of uncle and nephew! I love his assertive stare! It is going to happen way faster than I even thought! 

200.gif

• Like 6
  • LOL 12
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

@syntyche OMG!!

I went back to the post. The gifs finally loaded and after observing your details a few times, I am sold! Two saviors indeed!! First is indeed a shooter that doesn’t miss: he kills in one shot. Second shooter misses, which makes me realize it’s different from the stamina of first shooter. Second savior is for sure LG. I kept replaying that scene where he checks kiddie LG’s pulse. The quick glimpse of his eyes tells me it’s LG. Therefore, my initial thought that LG travelled all the way to the past to save himself is now very possible. Second savior, I think, is JY. Given his tall figure, skinny legs, I am leaning towards JY. You guys are amazing for catching such details. I didn’t catch it because everything happened so fast so the initial thought is there is only one savior because we only saw one. But now, it’s way different! (P.S. I love Daejang Choi Young :D )

———

Omo!! Look at that glare of LG during the reunion of uncle and nephew! I love his assertive stare! It is going to happen way faster than I even thought! 

For me in my first watch I couldn't catch 2 saviour but just one. I am also becoming certain that the second guy is JY with him as he normally goes everywhere the king goes. They seem to have a bond and JY is the kings biggest supporter

• Like 9
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, mamabear said:

Just a few hours of not not lurking here and you are already a few pages ahead. It is really nice to see different theories everyday. 

Re: JY not being able to recognize LR, I am thinking that it may be because all of them thought that LR was dead. When LR 'died', JY was just as young as LG, he probably did not remember how he looks like? Or, at that particular scene with the camera, his focus might be about the person who lured the king? Or, I am just being biased coz I really like him and it would be heartbreaking if he was a traitor.

Yes, I've fully caught up and now I'm keeping up to date with everyone's thoughts. It's so great!! :D 

Hmm, you might be right tbh. The reasons for not telling the King or the reason for not noticing it's LR could be many like you pointed out, he probably doesn't remember how he looks or assumes he's dead and doesn't pay attention to it as his focus is on other things but that just doesn't seem like a JY type of thing to do (to me atleast). If he didn't remember then, when LG mentioned LR is alive, I really wonder why bells didn't go off. 

1 hour ago, Dramafreak said:

think even PM's mother who was old enough to remember LR, took time to recognize him. She actually had to go and check a book and that too after LR had been two her shop at least twice... expecting JY (who was 4 years old when the 1994 event happened) to remember LR might be a bit much.

I also think because LG asked him to investigate LR and JTE's id three years back (episode 2 reference), it should be ok for JY to not react too much. He is someone with very few emotions and he cant let fear of anything bog him down. Also, we havent seen enough of him to know what he feels about LR being alive.

Yeah but the PM's mother not being exposed to LRs face much and not recognizing him right away makes sense, she's an ordinary citizen and it's been YEARS. JY being military trained and being in a household of military officers would probably know the face of the biggest killer in town and I believe you're right, he was asked to investigate on the link between JTE's id and LR so he should've recognized him right away. Either he didn't see the picture clearly on the camera or... it's something else :lol: I love discussing theories that may or may not make sense, it's just so much fun to lay out our thoughts and discuss! 

8 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

I think JY knows LR via family pictures from the palace as LR is related to Lee Gon and comes from the same household. I would say it's safe to assume that he will recognize him

Yup, exactly. I believe the only true shock should come from the fact that LR looks exactly the same as he did on the eventful night so that might fluster LG and JY and if I don't see any kind of change of expression on JY I dont know how I'm gonna handle that. I expect a reaction from him for sure when its revealed LR looks the same because of the way he reacted when he found out Luna looks exactly the same as JTE (he looked done and said something about his world falling apart or the sky falling down). 

BTW, thanks so much guys on sharing your thoughts with me on this! It's so fun :D I'm hoping (just like you all are as well) that our precious JY isn't evil and we're all just over analyzing LOL 

• Like 6
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Heretorant said:

Do you guys have any idea how long I’ve been waiting for this epic face off between LG and LR?!

Oh wait, you do! It’s been 1 whole month! :lol:

I call it, TOMORROW WILL BE EPIC!!!! 

I can always count on you to speak my mind!

I love intense Lee Gon! 

——————————————————

@leeminhosny our boy is always a happy person. He has a great sense of humor. 

BUT nothing beats this. 

I’ve been a fan for 8 years and I can sense the difference of atmosphere on the set of The King :D. He’s not just happy, he’s a little giddy. 

Yeeeees! They look absolutely adorable together indeeeeed. :lol: 

His always happy as usually but yes there is chemistry in the air and alot of it. I love these Behind the scenes clips they are feeding us with. Will there be dispatch incident in this drama and I mean real dispatch or post drama. 

Where is dispatch when you need them. They are good at camping and waiting for celebs 

• Like 5
  • LOL 7

50 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

For me in my first watch I couldn't catch 2 saviour but just one. I am also becoming certain that the second guy is JY with him as he normally goes everywhere the king goes. They seem to have a bond and JY is the kings biggest supporter

Hi chingu. Remember not to quote pictures. When quoting, delete the pictures :D I, even after a rewatch, couldn’t catch two saviors.

I keep thinking I am just watching one person move around like the Matrix :joy:

I also don’t think JY is evil. He is so protective of LG that it would hurt me to think he can be evil. I think this is just his personality. He always has this cold but cool aura around him. He doesn’t say much. He tends to act more. I think he doesn’t recognize LR because, as some pointed, he doesn’t know that LR has not aged. I think he was too young to remember LR the way LG did. And I think that when he actually realizes who LR really is in person, his reaction will either be “this is really happening” or “I need to protect LG even more.” He was investing JTE and the name tag but he may not have fully grasp the details of LR. Or he is just maintaining his cool. But I don’t think he is evil or working for LR. 

——

I also think that this drama may be very complicated for some viewers. It does move either too fast or too slow for some. And all the details are handed to us without an explanatory note. We are the ones speculating and investigating all these details. As I mentioned before, if this drama is done correctly and everything falls into place, it will be a very mesmerizing piece of work! But if these pieces don’t add up or if the details that they provided to us gets pushed around as if the writer had no idea what’s she is doing then it’s easy for this drama to become a void. So far, everyone is playing their role amazingly even without a doppelgänger. The actor who plays the uncle...I am so glad to see him in a more active role. First time I saw him was in K2 and I thought his acting of being ‘evil in disguise’ was great! In here, he is really carrying out his character to life! 

edit:

@Ameera Ali haha, this thread moves so fast that it is easy to fall behind. Sometimes, my mind tells me to just watch TKEM and be:

200.gif

Then my mind catches a detail or a post on here and there I go again:

taking-notes-gif-6.gif

:joy: 

• Like 4
  • LOL 9

5 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

Hi chingu. Remember not to quote pictures. When quoting, delete the pictures :D I, even after a rewatch, couldn’t catch two saviors.

I also don’t think JY is evil. He is so protective of LG that it would hurt me to think he can be evil. I think this is just his personality. He always has this cold but cool aura around him. He doesn’t say much. He tends to act more. I think he doesn’t recognize LR because, as some pointed, he doesn’t know that LR has not aged. I think he was too young to remember LR the way LG did. And I think that when he actually realizes who LR really is in person, his reaction will either be “this is really happening” or “I need to protect LG even more.” He was investing JTE and the name tag but he may not have fully grasp the details of LR. Or he is just maintaining his cool. But I don’t think he is evil or working for LR. 

——

I also think that this drama may be very complicated for some viewers. It does move either too fast or too slow for some. And all the details are handed to us without an explanatory note. We are the ones speculating and investigating all these details. As I mentioned before, if this drama is done correctly and everything falls into place, it will be a very mesmerizing piece of work! But if these pieces don’t add up or if the details that they provided to us gets pushed around as if the writer had no idea what’s she is doing then it’s easy for this drama to become a void. So far, everyone is playing their role amazingly even without a doppelgänger. The actor who plays the uncle...I am so glad to see him in a more active role. First time I saw him was in K2 and I thought his acting of being ‘evil in disguise’ was great! In here, he is really carrying out his character to life! 

I was up last night around 3 am korean time and people were there discussing the theory in Naver TKEM SBS forum/chat. Subscribers on the forum continue to increase as well. 

We are all in agreement here:

1) The drama sets a new tone and attracts a specific group people--loyal ones--that find entertainment in the storyline and complexity of each character.

2) The people who do follow the story never fall in between "meh" and "love". It's always "omg this story is crazy I love it"

• Like 9
  • Love 6

32 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

Our boy is always a happy person. He has a great sense of humor. 

BUT nothing beats this. 

I’ve been a fan for 8 years and I can sense the difference of atmosphere on the set of The King :D. He’s not just happy, he’s a little giddy.

I came to learn more about LMH thanks to fans like you @Heretorant, your comments are one of the few comments here that I love to read coz it radiates good vibes all the time :blush:

@Joanna AlfsonAlfson I also hope to see a dispatch dating article soon :wub:

@MairaA I agree with you, JY is well trained enough. Though I will still stick to that belief that he did not recognize him coz I doubt that pictures of LR would still be seen in any place in the palace since he is considered a traitor, plus he did not age at all and I am just biased about JY, I am sorry haha. I will love him no matter what. :joy:

I love how TKEM  brings the best to the viewers. I, for one, love watching crime and action dramas, but I don't really think too much as much as I do here LOL. Some even show their artistic side, it is really nice. :wub:

• Like 8
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

4 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

——

Thanks for the reminder otherwise Jilla would have come after me. :lol: I managed to remove the gif before she saw it. :joy:

JY is Lee Gon best man without doubt and the most trustworthy guy in his support base. the show Is complicated somehow but it's definitely intentional as this drama is trying to branch out of the normal Kdramas we are use to with little to nothing substance just two people romancing each other in a simple life setting background. It becomes to boring and I tend to agree with KES she is trying to revolutionize kdramas as awhole which the Korean viewers may yet not be ready for it specifically these who dominate TV (the older generations but the younger generations will always go with her especially when she brings trendy stuff like this show) 

It's all about growing and new innovations example having dramas set in normal everyday Korea can be little repetitive and there is need for variations. The Kingdom and The King: Eternal Monarch are a fresh breathe of air in the kdramaland and both mostly find audience with International viewers because SK is not ready yet for such concepts imo but they will rather go with a Makjang in a simple life setting where the plot is easy and the surroundings familiar to them 

• Like 8
  • Love 3

Hey Guys. 

I am new here hope you will accept me into your community. I have started watching this drama few days ago and I managed to binge the 8th episode in one sitting. I am here to discuss the theorize and everything. I didn't lurk here before as it is my first time posting here. I lurked on other shows few years ago and I was aware of that this is the place to talk about this drama. I finished the 8 episode and I had alot to say so where else to go then here. 

I won't be able to backtrack the entire thread but I will read as much as I can and catch up with you guys. 

source.gif

• Like 12
  • Love 6