[Drama 2019] Catch The Ghost, 유령을 잡아라

marykarmelina

2 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I think the cleaner lady is the mother of Subway Ghost? And she knows what her son has been doing and why... The thing that worries me is now JS’s mother is put in her care. Will she do anything foolish just to protect her wayward son? 

Yes, the mother recognized her son due to his tics. But I don't think that she is aware of his crimes. The way he is dressed and acting made him look like a stalker. From my point of view, the son has some disorder and has been looked down. So maybe the mother believes that her son might get sued for something similar and wants to be updated. 

Concerning MR, I was really disgusted by her words. She made YR feel guilty and showed no professionalism. Her sister is a missing person and by blaming YR, she makes it look like there is no case at all. In the end, MR is just focusing on solving the cases... just like she is trying to solve a problem in maths. But she is not trying to prevent another crime.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the reason why MaRi doesnt investigate YR's sister dissapeareance is because if there is no body then there's no case, since a body is a solid physical evidence. However serial killers tend to keep trophies from their victims, something mundane or generic. However, the very first victim marks the emerge of a serial killer from a human being to a monster so i believe the killer keeps YR's sister somewhere special and i guess it's in a wooden trunk.

I also hate seeing JS's self deprecation when he was in that pick up truck, his bleeding palm and tears or in the front of MR's mum but at least i feel relieve that MR finally knew why they broke up. 

I also understand why RY keeps hiding behind her bravado, she got rejected many times, so she wont risk the possibility of finding her sister by telling authority about her intention. She is suffering from survivor syndrom and for people who got this tend to reject happines, even for the slightest one, because the think like falling in love or even liking someone is a kind of undeserving for them. She has nothing to lose, kick asses left and right and wear her heart in her sleeves because she couldnt do it for her sister before so i cant hate her.

I think the reason why The Ghost let YR alive when he got full acess to strangle her when the light was out is because he enjoy inflicting fear to his victims, it's part of his game, he doesnt like dead bodies, he loves the process of killing but not the killing itself,that's why he keeps on the killing, and preying by taking pics of his potential victims, taunting YR, taking her pics, also because she has the exact same face to one of his victim.

Im sorry ladies and gents, for my gruesome comments.

4 hours ago, yanginggrid said:

I think the reason why MaRi doesnt investigate YR's sister dissapeareance is because if there is no body then there's no case, since a body is a solid physical evidence.

She did mention the reason clearly to YR. And this is where MR and YR is different. One is putting priority on catching the culprit/murderer, while the other one is more focused about preventing harm to victims. Again, MR could have directed YR to another officer to help with the disappearance since it cannot be considered her case, yet she just ignored her because it is of no added value to her solving Subway Ghost case.

Some BTS pictures from the filming sites for the upcoming episodes.

People are calling them SunMoon couple, that's so cute. I need these two to work together again. All this angst is getting to me...

As for MR, she's just so easily unlikeable. I get why she dismissed YR's sister's case but her behaviour was not normal in any way. The way she talk to YR, a family of a victim, is ridiculous and makes my blood boil. She's just being so disgustingly cruel I want someone to tell her off. I don't care that she didn't get enough love or approval from her mother, many people don't, that doesn't give her the right to talk to the victim or family of a victim in such a way. BTW, I kinda like her mom, the commissioner. I don't think she never showed appreciation of her daughter or her effort but want she wanted was not for her to be climbing the ladder but to handle each and every case with care and put her heart into it. That was also a reason why she liked JS more that her own daughter, because of his attitude towards the job which was clearly different from MR's. What a waste of a character... I hoped that the girls would work together eventually but with the way MR's development is going I doubt it's gonna happen. 

After watching all the episodes available...I’m sort of in a very complicated, indecisive state of mind. A lot of maybe she is wrong to do this but at the same time I understand why she did it..

I understand that YR honestly cannot handle the fact that no matter where she goes she have to take care of her sister, but then I feel like it’s wrong that she just left her sis despite in a fit of rage equally seeing that she is having a hard time because of her sis I don’t blame her.. So I honestly don’t know whether to blame her or to pity her...

But Ma Ri though..that one I will never forgive her. 

13 hours ago, Sushimi said:

After watching all the episodes available...I’m sort of in a very complicated, indecisive state of mind. A lot of maybe she is wrong to do this but at the same time I understand why she did it..

I understand that YR honestly cannot handle the fact that no matter where she goes she have to take care of her sister, but then I feel like it’s wrong that she just left her sis despite in a fit of rage equally seeing that she is having a hard time because of her sis I don’t blame her.. So I honestly don’t know whether to blame her or to pity her...

But Ma Ri though..that one I will never forgive her. 

I think her rage was normal, as normal as when she tried to take the tv remote control. She fights back for what she wants but in the end she just let it for her sister because she has a good heart. She fell in love, got her sister mistreated and still fight for her dignity, but when she saw herself she realized there is no way out but still in the very last second she looked for her twin. There's a conflict about the meaning of her life because she is young, the loss makes her realised she should stay and i believe there will be huge huge conflict again in the form of Chief Ji Seok and I doubt he will back off later. Also i hope hope hope they will end up as neighbor or even roomate (tho i doubt YR will let anyone invade her space). For MR, i pity her..

in the last preview . it's heartbreaking to see JS's tears, i dont want to see him sad again

he already in pain when YR said she doesnt want him as her partner, and now, she wants to go to metro? 

if YR really joint MR and WH in metro to catch the subway ghost, i think JS wil joint YR to help her..the thing he have never did before

as for MR i dislike her character, ..i wondered why JS liked her before, as she said she has a nasty temper,,lol..but i think i understand our chief tends to like girl who has an unique character

i cant wait for the next episodes, mon-tues , please come faster

Okay this is going to be a long one…

So, I was rewatching the episodes from the very beginning and instead of finding YR annoying I found myself getting increasingly angry at the police and their insufferable attitude. I think that the drama takes more of a satirical route instead of being a point-blank serious thriller that some expect it to be. It was always advertised as comedy, so I was pleasantly surprised how well they managed to blend all of the genres, making me laugh one moment then being all emotional the next and on top of that they also managed to take multiple jabs at their incompetent police. Sorry to say but the incompetence of the police in the drama is a reflection of all that’s been going on in the past few years with the mess that is the Korean justice system. The drama tries to reflect the overall disappointment of the citizens with its police force and the police system as a whole. Basically, almost every episode touches upon a topic that has been discussed in the K-news in the last couple of years.

The first episode is about the date rape drugs that became a hot topic just recently. It reflects the way such crimes have been handled before – no crime has been committed yet, no victim, no evidence, no witnesses – the police won’t investigate. Due to the more scandalous news some other cases of date rape drugs were revealed in the news where the police didn’t or even refused to investigate for one reason or the other. The drama reflected that when JS tried to inform first the major crimes department, then the cyber crimes dep. about a planned rape that was about to occur. They ignored it and it’s even more infuriating that they ignored the report by a fellow officer, like it wasn’t just some prank call or something. Made my blood boil, because it reflected situations that have been quite real. In Korea the way the handle rape or sexual abuse cases is very backwards, let’s be real. Obviously, a lot of police incompetence that they show in the drama is not unique to S. Korea but, since this is a Korean drama, it touches upon the problems that are prominent there.

The second case of the delivery man and the drug dealer dealt with another ridiculous flow within the Korean police system – the formalities and punishment for any, not just wrong, move a police officer makes. JS was not allowed to break the glass door when the delivery man was assaulted because he would get in trouble. If YR didn’t break the glass, that drug dealer could’ve killed the old man by beating him to death or the old man could’ve died from injuries or a heart failure. Afterwards JS told YR that they are not allowed to shoot and only carry a gun to intimidate and scare off the bag guys. If YR didn’t shoot the drug dealer he would’ve stabbed the delivery man to death, and she was still not allowed to shoot that gun… and she was still disciplined for it. That is very true in real life as well. The police weren’t even allowed to carry guns until recently but now, even though they carry them, if they shoot, they’ll be in trouble. Like how does that make sense? It’s ridiculous that the police are afraid to save the victims because they’ll get disciplined after. They are basically being punished for doing the right thing and putting the victim’s life first. How ridiculous is that? Blows my mind still.

The third episode touched upon the problem of loan sharks. While they are everywhere in the world, in Korea they are a pretty big problem. There are so many of these ‘agencies’ that offer loans for a crazy percentage and then make people go bankrupt, sell their homes, make them homeless and threaten families. In the past that was a pretty big problem and loans where ‘transferred’ to the family members if the one who took out the loan died or ran away. It could get pretty violent with the way those loan sharks would demand payment (threatening, abuse etc.). The police didn’t do anything and generally tried to ignore such cases. Legally there’s nothing much they could do, as the laws didn’t regulate these agencies and the way they could deal with the debtors. Not sure if laws changed in the recent years though. For example, in my country these loan agencies are not allowed to terrorize the debtors in any shape or form. The law even regulates how often they are allowed to call the debtors. In Korea there was no such thing as far as I know, hopefully it changed.

Two more thing that were highlighted in the third episode – the expensive medical care and low salaries of the police. The medical expenses can really add up unless you have insurance. As far as I know, there’s no free medicine or medical procedures that are compensated by the government, so you have to pay for everything yourself. The hospices have pretty high fees, so it’s no wonder that JS is struggling to pay for it. Another thing is the low salary that police officers receive, I’m not talking about high profile people but the ones who do all the dirty work. There was some talk in K articles that the police were dissatisfied with their conditions, that they risk their lives to keep the citizens safe daily, but they get no recognition or a proper salary for the dangerous work that they do. When I was looking at JS it did cross my mind that his paycheck is less than it should be even though he’s the chief inspector or whatever the title that he has.

The 4th episode was interesting in that it also highlighted how domestic violence is dealt with. In the past in SK domestic violence wasn’t properly investigated because there was this common belief that it’s the family’s personal matter and they should deal with it themselves. It was considered that outside intervention was unnecessary, so even if the wife and kids are beaten regularly there’s nothing the police would do. Can’t say it ‘s much better now but at least you can get a case open against the assailant though it’s not a guarantee that it’ll be properly investigated. In the drama that stupid JWC chief ordered to just ignore the domestic violence as if it never happened which is pretty reflective of reality as well. You can find many posts on Korean SNS where the victims of domestic violence tried to get help but got blamed for their partner’s rage, saying that they should anger the husband when he’s already stressed from work and stuff like that. It was infuriating to read especially since it was coming from the police. I’m not saying that all police is like that is SK or anywhere else but such case are still widely prevalent.

After reading all of this I understand why they made YR’s character they way she is. She’s basically a collective image of what a police officer should be in the eyes of a Korean citizen – someone who puts the victims first, who’s not afraid to do what needs to be done to solve a crime, someone who’s not bound by the ridiculous formalities that can cost someone’s life, someone who doesn’t brush the victim’s family off when they ask for help, someone who the citizens can trust and who makes them feel secure. She’s totally and completely unreal but in the light of recent events that left the Korean citizens utterly disappointed in their police and with justice system consistently failing them YR is presented as the kind of police officer the people would like to see. Yes, she has her faults and creates a lot of chaos but if I was the victim, I’d want someone like her to take my case.

9 minutes ago, nateko said:

After reading all of this I understand why they made YR’s character they way she is. She’s basically a collective image of what a police officer should be in the eyes of a Korean citizen – someone who puts the victims first, who’s not afraid to do what needs to be done to solve a crime, someone who’s not bound by the ridiculous formalities that can cost someone’s live, someone who doesn’t brush the victim’s family off when they ask for help, someone who the citizens can trust and who makes them feel secure. She’s totally and completely unreal but in the light of recent events that left the Korean citizens utterly disappointed in their police and with justice system consistently failing them YR is presented as the kind of police officer the people would like to see. Yes, she has her faults and creates a lot of chaos but if I was the victim, I’d want someone like her to take my case.

You need and standing ovation! I applauded you for the piece you have nailed every word and character of an ideal police officer, a real hero that protect the citizen. Sadly in my home country, police are not respected because they have this image of corrupt and abusive in power, but here in the country that I work and live, police is the authority, highly respected and doing their job. They will not leave you alone when you have a complaint; they will really investigate what happened. I don’t know if all this kdrama is the reflection of their culture that police are tied up with obligations and protocols that they need to follow. I know for a fact that every field has hierarchy to follow, and in reality sometimes people just need to shut up just to get their jobs done.... and that is the reason why a country can improve but look at those who are outspoken, they are the one who is not afraid to loose anything but still achieve their goals because they know that what they are talking is truth that will help to improve their work. 

I know YR is taking the matters in her own hand because she knows that no one is there to give help, while GSJ is somewhat surviving in the field because of his selfless act to his mother, but sometimes he also need to reflect on his actions. That’s why he and YR is perfect match to each other, I wonder how they will both react when they finally knows each other’s situation.

Keeping my fingers cross tomorrow that they will have a lead on the subway ghost and I hope they will catch the grasshopper gang plus rescue JH from that lady kidnapper 

3 hours ago, Lj said:

That’s why he and YR is perfect match to each other, I wonder how they will both react when they finally knows each other’s situation.

I hope that they both discover the truth about each other's situations soon so that they can form a support system and not have to go through hardships all alone. Hopefully that voice mail YR left will be the start. 

3 hours ago, Lj said:

Keeping my fingers cross tomorrow that they will have a lead on the subway ghost and I hope they will catch the grasshopper gang plus rescue JH from that lady kidnapper 

I think that catching the grasshoppers will give them a lead in the Subway Ghost investigation. I was thinking that since they know how to get in and out of the tunnel then they can provide important information about how the Ghost could've moved the bodies. MR said that they searched the tunnel but didn't find anything so there must be some hidden paths no one knows about. Guess they didn't search that hard, huh? Also the Subway Ghost must have the keys to the tunnel but also other 'authorized only' rooms. How did he get them? He's either from the police or is a worker at the subway. YR's sis seems to be his first victim. When they showed his wall where he kept the pictures of his victims there was only one picture of YR's sister and it was taken after he presumably killed her. With his other victims he had dozens of pictures from when he stalked them to the moment he killed them. Like MR said the MO is different but she failed to deduct that it's because YR's sister is the first victim, they are usually very special to serial killers. The Subway Ghost lured his other victims through phone calls but I don't think it was the case for YR's sister. With her it was probably a spontaneous murder but, since she started his bloodthirst, she's special to him and he maybe keeps her as a trophy in that wooden box that they keep showing. In the photo YR's sister is in that box and she's unconscious and has a bloody strangulation mark on her neck. I do hope that she somehow survived and ran away since we did hear her call YR and say that her neck hurts, so that was probably after the Subway Ghost tried to kill her. Maybe that suspicious woman from the welfare center is indeed Subway Ghost's mom and maybe she found YR's sis and saved her. Otherwise I can't imagine how YR's sis might've survived on her own for so long. I also wonder why the Subway Ghost didn't kill YR and just left. Was it because he heard JS or is there something else? Some people are speculating that WH might the killer but I don't know how to feel about that theory...

On a lighter note, this is hilarious :joy:

Archived