[Drama 2019] Beautiful World 아름다운 세상

larus

JS’s dad is so despicable! :triumph: the last time he said about top 1% being elite and leaders while the rest of the 99% are just tools for them.. and then brainwashed JS again and again being the top 1% leader blah blah blah.. they think they are God.. which is disgusting!

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone, I finally got the chance to watch, only up to mid E6; waiting for subs of the rest.  I like the drama.

Such a dark beginning but I am sure the healing will come soon.^^ While watching, I had vibes of My Ajusshi believe it or not. 

This drama's storylines revolve around school bullying, adults and teenagers as both victims and assailants.  Some directly involved, others are responsible indirectly through apathy, self preservation, moral ambiguity/weakness... yet many are driven by love, parenthood and social pressure.  Where it resembles My Ajusshi for me is how the drama portrays human beings at the lowest point in their lives as in their behaviors... some chose to put self and children above others.  How easily and difficult it is to hold integrity and morality when is faced with the question of doing the right thing.  A lot of these characters' actions are understandable, even if we disagree with their stance.  How pitiful and hard the circumstances are facing both In Ha and Moo Jin yet they must dig hard to keep going and face another day.  How hard it is for them to say it's no big deal.

At the press conference, Park Hee Soon mentioned that his character Moo Jin said in the line of ... Everyone makes mistakes, it's how we move forward from the mistakes that is important.  In this world of no golden answer to our society problems of adults/kids hurting each other, the change comes from the courage to admit the problems, our faults in it (ironically out of love or good intention for our families), our weaknesses, why we come to where we are, what we have become... perhaps it is the only way to heal collectively.  

For Moo Jin who took upon himself to change the world by imploring kindness in his own son and practiced it everyday in hope to make this world a better place, he failed to make others awared of the problems and take accountability.  Internalizing the problems, not sharing the cause, won't force everyone to come together to collectively solve the problems.  We see it in his recollections of Sun Ho... how he had wish to take time to listen to the problems instead of falling into his pacifying ways.  Moo Jin believed if he takes the higher road, internalizing the burden, teaching his son to do the same, would move others to change for the better.  It worked in some, but not others.  For some like Joon Seok, it requires someone to confront his darkness, force him to admit fault and give him strong guidance for change to happen.  Someone like Joon Seok won't change on his own. Eun Joo is too conflicted by her own love for her son that she can't accept that he is his father's son.  Because she is living in the household where integrity is a supporting character, where her role as mother and wife is conditional as a secondary citizen, she has no courage to do the right thing.  I find Eun Joo the most annoying and realistic character in the drama, Cho Yeo-Jeong is really good.  Contrast to her is In Ha who I am glad has stopped yelling and crying.  I like her strong maternal personality, loyal and persistent for her son, even though her directness alienated others around her.  Her intelligence and love mirrors Soo Ho.  Her daughter is a better version of In Ha in the way she is willing to display affection and empathy to those she loves.  Her hugging Moo Jin was intuitive and wise beyond her mother's way.  In Ha could be more receptive to others feelings and opinions, including her own mother and husband.  I think she never understood or appreciate Moo Jin beyond the mere observation that he is a kind man.  There is obviously a lack of communication between the spouses.  Soo Ho is wonderful, inquisitive and a spitfire, fueld by her love for Sun Ho.  Where as Sun Ho expresses his kindness freely, Soo Ho hides her thoughtfulness selflessly.  She will show everyone that one person can make a change.  

I have to watch E7 before I can comment more but yeah, this drama is not an easy watch.

On 4/27/2019 at 11:11 AM, joccu said:

I loved that SH dad realised that he's not perfect and that he missed really important things as a father and a teacher. 

I don't know who is worst joonseok or his mother.

Why did the security guard lie? was it all about the money?

Hi.  I really like how the drama (only watched up to mid E7 now LOL) keeps showing us parallels or different outcomes on the same issue.  

Take for example, lack of communication between parents and children.  We have Moo Jin failing to recognize signs from Sun Ho as a parent in hindsight.  He taught pacifism to his son when confronting problems which may have played a part in Sun Ho keeping the bullying a secret. Did Sun Ho feel if he reveals the bullying, Moo Jin would not be able to defend him given his kind nature of not choosing to confront the perpetrators?  Maybe it is also because of not wanting to see his dad go through the aftermath of the revelation? Did Sun Ho want to spare his kind father from confronting the bullying?  I just have a feeling that Sun Ho may not have confidence in his dad's ability to defend him.  Asking to take boxing lessons for self defense not only enable him to fight off but also is a small testament to Sun Ho's confidence in his father's strong character.  Not only that, I think he was being thoughtful and filial to his parents to not burden them with his problems.  In all, it is sadly true that Sun Ho shaped his personality from observing his father. Interestingly, he lacks the straightforwardness and self confidence of his mother In Ha whose personality reflects more in Soo Ho.   

I thought this uncertainty Sun Ho had toward his father's courage played out nicely in how Moo Jin helped Dong Soo later on.  Ironically, it took Sun Ho's injury to force Moo Jin to learn to confront injustice and defend the innocents. Mistakes happened, he failed to help his son but he has a chance here to change and defend another boy from injustice.  I like that he walked the talk.  Moo Jin didn't lose his own kind self either when talking to Joon Seok in the car.  For the first time in his life possibly, an adult tells Joon Seok that there is a potential to change after a mistake ...this is multiple significant as it comes from a man whose son suffered from his actions.  We don't know exactly what happened at the rooftop but we should take in account that Joon Seok's past history as a bully could color our perception of the truth.  It's important to separate two actions from each other, something Joon Seok desperately wants to convince his mother.  He is guilty of bullying but did he cause Sun Ho's fall?  Moo Jin did not pass judgment on his involvement in the fall but instead, encouraged him to try to be a better person.  This interaction was what Joon Seok wanted, a different perspective to his current problem.  It also lead him to be emotionally honest with his mom later on in front of the house wanting to confess to the authority. 

As a teenager, Joon Seok reached out to adults, his mom, for guidance in time of need.  Because of her own mistakes (trying to cover up for her son), Eun Joo couldn't direct him to do the right thing as it would revealed her guilty of obstruction of justice. I thought it was just a start contrast to Moo Jin.  His own mother failed as a parent when he needed help here just as Moo Jin did with Sun Ho.  Eun Joo also was confronted by the school police officer of her wrongdoings as well as her son's character.  Yet, what she decided to do after her mistake reveals her own moral weakness, refusing to see her son's true character.  In refusing to accept that her son has potentially grown up to be like her own abusive husband, cruel and manipulative, she held on hope that her own goodness has not lost in that household or she has failed as a parent.  Ironically, turning a blind eye to what happened that night, to protect Joon Seok, she has enable her son to not change for the better.  I grimaced at the way she tolerates Joon Seok's treatment of her.  Instead of making him aware of his awful character or accepts consequences of his actions, she enables him to continue on his psychopathic ways.  She just doesn't want to accept the monster that he is.  At this point, her lies are compounded by her mistakes which she herself doesn't want to admit.  When the school officer sternly confronted her of the situation and her involvement, Eun Joo's reflections on her mistakes drastically different than Moo Jin.  Instead of changing for the better, she compounded more mistakes on top of mistakes.  The first thought that entered Eun Joo's mind is that the man is trying to extort money from her.  That speaks a lot to her character and belief in humanity... and it came from her family, her husband's frame of mind, the value of money in her life. There was lack of repent and admission of guilt for her wrongdoings.  The righteousness that we see in Moo Jin was lacking here but what is more sad, is that she can't be the adult who chose to do the right thing.  Let alone guiding her own son to do the right thing.

Some thought about ep.6, 7, 8

- I wished the parents wouldn't argue in front of Sun Ho. Even though he is in coma, he could have heard their arguments, we never know.

- My favorite character in this drama gotta be Joon Ha. She is the support for everyone in the family. I'm sure she herself is hurting, but she avoids being emotional when dealing with it.

- Great acting by Seo Dong Hyun (Joon Seok) in the car with SH's dad. He was touched by his words to become a better person, but then the moment he heard that SH moved his fingers and there is a chance of recovery, his subtle anxiety is obvious. Not to Moo Jin though.

- It would have been a redemption moment for JS to come clean but no, his mother is more concerned that damage is done, so they have to keep up the ruse.

- I'd be honest that I am not a fan of In Ha's reaction and way of dealing with her son's situation. I see that her mother is just like her, rather dramatic. I wish these people would stop causing such ruckus inside the hospital room. Good thing is that soon after In Ha realizes not to be so emotional and encouraged herself and husband to continue life happily.

- It's interesting that the book SH gave to Dong Hee is The Catcher in The Rye. I haven't actually read the book itself but read a little about it. Dealing with childhood innocence vs. adulthood. Quite relevant to the theme of this drama, hoping for a beautiful world children can live in.

- OJS is such a scary child. Something needs to be done so he won't grow up to be a demon.

- I am so disappointed with the School Guard. But the story is getting more interesting as there will be a connection with his son in the police investigation. As well as the reporter who knows the background of OJP and digging into the incident.

- The Oh's residence is so unique. Full of glass windows/panes. I wonder what is the significance that the Director choose to shoot a lot of the Oh parents' scenes within the glass frames.

@ktcjdrama

-What I like about Joon Ha is her sense of fairness and composure. I will take it back, she gets these traits from her dad so maybe she is her father’s daughter after all.  Both Soon Ho and Joon Ha are the better versions of their parents, thus, our hopes for a better future.

- Me too, was hard for me to watch In Ha, a little over the top; seems like the PD wanted to contrast her against Moo Jin who held his emotions in check.  She reminds me of a friend who is transparent. If she is mad at someone, you will know. If she loves someone, she would dearly shows it too.  In a way, her direct and forthcoming personality lets me know she is who she seems to be, the real deal.  No pretension.  That is not to say In Ha is perfect but you know she is sincere in her actions and feelings.  I do not like the fact she tends to lash out at Moo Jin, her sister and even her mother - her personality is meant to contrast against the other mothers at the academy whose manners are more calculated.

-Yes, I did see that he gave her the book.  :D It’s Sun Ho’s way of telling her that he will be her protector? He who sees children like Joon Seok who once was his best friend growing to be a person who uses violence against others due to jealousy and misuse of power.  Did you also notice that Dong Hee was reading The Little Prince in class when the first altercation between the boys occurred?  In that story, the Prince encountered different types of people in his visits to other planets.  There, he learned of how narrow minded, selfish and irrational adults can be whereas children like him, are more open minded, sensitive and awared of others.  Dong Hee herself is an invisible person who longed to escape to the world outside the small place shared with her brother on the rooftop.  Holding this dream of her against the reality and prejudice other kids placed on her.

- I don’t know what to make of the security guard.  Honestly, I feel that he was sympathizing with Sun Hoo’s parents in the beginning.  He dislikes Eun Joo due to her crime but moreso of the fact that she can hide the truth with money.  He hates her for it but cannot reject her offer of money.  I feel like he hates himself for allowing people with social status to carve an advantage or even break the laws yet allows himself be the accomplice to her crime.

- Yeah, those windows, glass partitions and room within a room within a house.  Everything is structured and confined, glasses and mirrors everywhere as is to reflect their actions and reactions.  Despite that, these family members failed to see the consequences or right vs wrong.

1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

Did you also notice that Dong Hee was reading The Little Prince in class when the first altercation between the boys occurred?

Yes, I did. This book has been appearing a lot in recent dramas... Amazing how the book can be used as the theme of so many stories.

@bedifferent welcome.  I really love this drama even though sometimes this is really hard to watch. If I had children it would be even hard.  I like how all the parents are really different but still they all has the same mindset. My children welfare is the most important thing. 

I really liked in ep 8 Inha and Eun joo conversation.  It really shows how much different they are. I'm really curious to how Eun Joo met her husband. 

10 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Great acting by Seo Dong Hyun (Joon Seok) in the car with SH's dad. He was touched by his words to become a better person, but then the moment he heard that SH moved his fingers and there is a chance of recovery, his subtle anxiety is obvious. Not to Moo

It's clear now, JS has an evil side not just a kid playing up. The way his alter ego just flash-on and off. But KDs are always doing this, putting the blame on the parents and environment.  In the end, the person who caused pain and anguish to so many people gets off  lightly. There are just people who become bad. That would be a fresh approach for a K drama.

JS in this show grows up with a distant dad who seems to have little ethics and an over protective mum. I am trying to sympathise but I really hate bullies.

I hope the 'tecs catch him and his parents very soon.

I just finished watching the drama up to episode 7. It took me a while because it is a sad and heart rending and I had to stop at times to take a breather and the music is a tearjerker. Anyway I read posts on the thread and thank you all to the posters, I am to date. This drama reminds me of Solomon's Prejudice but this drama is a harder watch for me. 

Powerful 8 ep. JS must pay the price. Sure to! He must understand and experience guilt. But I can not imagine how this can happen, because he has become a real monster. Who can reach him? How to reach him? I can not imagine ...
But in general, it seems to me that the guy has some mental problems. It is not by chance that he became what he became. Something prompted such a change. And I hope they tell us what it was. What was the point of no return ...:blink:
And the story with the brother and sister the Ghost is very touched. Her life reminded me so much of a classmate's life ... she even resembles her in appearance, although my classmate had a European appearance. How sad it is that there are so many such children... :tears: But it’s good that she made friends with SH's sister and told her parents everything. Now she has gained real support. And with her brother everything will be fine. It warms my heart.

A Beautiful World: Episode 8

by lovepark

beautifulworld08-00034.jpg

The evils of this world seem to exist in all corners and people as our heroes try to differentiate the truth from the lies. Selfishness and deviousness continue to block the path towards justice, and those in power are willing to do anything to protect their station in life. Despite the discoveries our heroes make, progress seems to come to standstill, but that won’t stop them from fighting—far from it.

EPISODE 8 RECAP: Angel and Devil

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/04/a-beautiful-world-episode-8/

I think the "twist" here is that it would actually be an accident all along, and Joon Seok didn't do what Da Hee accused him of even if he is a jerk. So it was really an "accident". But the adults will go to great length and do all the illegal things, and blow the entire thing up. In the meantime, all the kids will be affected, and most of all, Joon Seok will now finally go into the deep end whereas before he could have been stopped with some guidance.

It is Joon Seok's parents' actions that will turn an accident into a big crime, and ruining their child's moral for good.

Spoiler

When I saw Eun Joo saying in episode 9 that she only did what she did because she thought Seon Ho was already dead anyway, I felt a bit better about her crime. But then again she may  just be justifying it to herself and others. She clearly attempted to murder him twice afterwards.

Spoiler

Is Da Hee a compulsive liar? Did she tell Seon Ho that Joon Seok assaulted her, and then told her parents that Seon Ho did? There's no other reason why her parents would be so averse towards a kid like him.

Who at the police station is Oh Jin Pyo's informant? I hope it's not the young/skeptical cop.

Spoiler

Let's see if Moo Jin's trust in the goodness of people will backfire on him this time with the school guard.

He's revealing his card too easily. But at the same time, he has no other choice or card to play, they have no evidence. So I don't blame him even though at first I thought he was too naive and was making a mistake.

2 hours ago, cinnyangel said:
  Hide contents

Is Da Hee a compulsive liar? Did she tell Seon Ho that Joon Seok assaulted her, and then told her parents that Seon Ho did? There's no other reason why her parents would be so averse towards a kid like him.

I thought so even after watching the ep. 5-6:

By the way, I am very interested in this girl who loved SH and who loved JS. The conversation between the boys on the roof tells me that their quarrel may be caused by Dahee. I think she lied to SH that JS had scoffed at her. I do not believe this girl

So I think in the end it is she who should be the cause of universal reconciliation. As soon as it turns out that because of her lies, the boys had a falling out, as soon as they understand how they were cruelly deceived, they will again become as they were. JS will be what it was before. And SH can forgive him. And then we are in for real repentance and rivers of tears.

59 minutes ago, Friendly kitty said:

I thought so even after watching the ep. 5-6:

So I think in the end it is she who should be the cause of universal reconciliation. As soon as it turns out that because of her lies, the boys had a falling out, as soon as they understand how they were cruelly deceived, they will again become as they were. JS will be what it was before. And SH can forgive him. And then we are in for real repentance and rivers of tears.

It is highly possible. I think SH can forgive JS for pushing him if it was just boys fighting leading to an accident. However, I don't think JS is innocent completely. He did manipulate others and he did bully SH. He did "play with Da Hee" and then "dumped her", as he admitted. He's not a good boy, hence SH didn't believe him. Though I believe he didn't go as far as Da Hee's accusation of him. 

The story though won't be about him per se but how adults can ruin children and how little trust children have in adults. For the first time today, I did feel terrible for him when his own mother moved away from him. His parents think they're helping him, but they're pushing him towards the deep end soon.

It it confirmed now that SH fall was during tbe scuffle with JS? I can't forget JS's face when SH accused him of... 

Spoiler

sexually assaulting the girl. He looked so shocked! JS's reaction made me think he is innocent of the that accusation. But I'm wondering if JS's dad is the one who attacked the girl.

Maybe SH likes the girl, the girl likes JS (because JS toyed with her) and JS brought her to his place and something happened? Because JS's dad's reaction when listening to the recording was very unusual. And now, JS's dad not only has to cover himself, but his wife and son too. And he is nervous because if JS and his wife falter, his crime will be discovered. 

Besides, the girl hasn't confess anything. So I'm giving JS some benefits of the doubt. 

Of course, at the moment this is mere speculation. 

Archived