[Drama 2019] Beautiful World 아름다운 세상

larus

4 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I know that hints were thrown, but I was hoping the drama wouldn't go there... a minor assaulted by an adult...

Anyway, what you mentioned in spoiler could very well happened, although I doubt EJ will allow JS to do that.

Are you uncomfortable if it were about minor assault by an adult (I'm asking merely out of curiosity), because it happens more often than one thinks.

At this point i don't know what EJ would do. I get that she wants to protect her child, but why disguise it into a suicide? When she almost killed SH at the hospital, who was she protecting? JH or herself? Sje doesn't believe JS when he said it was an accident. Was there any reason for her to think that way? I mean, if I'm not mistaken, she only find out about JS being a bully afterwards right? 

The title "Beautiful World" sounds so sarcastic once we find out what the show is about. Initially, i thought the title reflects the positivity in SH's family at dealing with this incident, but now i think there is more to that. And jtbc seems to enjoy airing shows that mock the k-society's obsession with certain things. 

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dzareth said:

Are you uncomfortable if it were about minor assault by an adult (I'm asking merely out of curiosity), because it happens more often than one thinks.

At this point i don't know what EJ would do. I get that she wants to protect her child, but why disguise it into a suicide? When she almost killed SH at the hospital, who was she protecting? JH or herself? Sje doesn't believe JS when he said it was an accident. Was there any reason for her to think that way? I mean, if I'm not mistaken, she only find out about JS being a bully afterwards right? 

The title "Beautiful World" sounds so sarcastic once we find out what the show is about. Initially, i thought the title reflects the positivity in SH's family at dealing with this incident, but now i think there is more to that. And jtbc seems to enjoy airing shows that mock the k-society's obsession with certain things. 

An assault is an assault, no matter who the perpetrator or the victim is. I don't become more uncomfortable because it's about a minor assaulted by an adult. Just never thought the drama would go there since it is about school bullying. There are indeed numerous cases of minors being sexually assaulted, even small children. The drama Children of Nobody touched on that. Which reminds me, I should tag some friends from there. Are you interested to watch this drama? @mrsj3n @liddi

I don't think the title A Beautiful World was meant to be sarcastic. I once read somewhere that it's about the world that the children are wishing to have, instead of a world like what they're going through now- bullying, lies and deceit, scheming...

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

An assault is an assault, no matter who the perpetrator or the victim is. I don't become more uncomfortable because it's about a minor assaulted by an adult. Just never thought the drama would go there since it is about school bullying. There are indeed numerous cases of minors being sexually assaulted, even small children. The drama Children of Nobody touched on that. Which reminds me, I should tag some friends from there. Are you interested to watch this drama? @mrsj3n @liddi

I don't think the title A Beautiful World was meant to be sarcastic. I once read somewhere that it's about the world that the children are wishing to have, instead of a world like what they're going through now- bullying, lies and deceit, scheming...

It seems to me the show has this underlying message that children (teens included) loose their innocence because the adults screw up. And the adults keep screwing up even when they are supposed to protect/ guide the kids.

Hmm... maybe sarcastic is too strong of a word. I mean more like ironic. It's ironic that the title is Beautiful World. That is a very positive and meaningful title. But the content is dark and painful. One would not associate bully culture and/or assault with beauty.

I watched CoN too, another well produced show with horrifying content.

Anyhow, people keep praising Nam Da Reum and there is no denying he is performing admirably here. But I am drawn to JS more than SH (although, maybe the fact that he spends mos of the time in a hospital bed has something to do with it). If it does turn out that JS never hurt DH and SH's fall IS an accident, I must give credit to the actor because I can just feel his frustration when EJ doesn't believe him.

37 minutes ago, dzareth said:

It seems to me the show has this underlying message that children (teens included) loose their innocence because the adults screw up. And the adults keep screwing up even when they are supposed to protect/ guide the kids.

Hmm... maybe sarcastic is too strong of a word. I mean more like ironic. It's ironic that the title is Beautiful World. That is a very positive and meaningful title. But the content is dark and painful. One would not associate bully culture and/or assault with beauty.

Anyhow, people keep praising Nam Da Reum and there is no denying he is performing admirably here. But I am drawn to JS more than SH (although, maybe the fact that he spends mos of the time in a hospital bed has something to do with it). If it does turn out that JS never hurt DH and SH's fall IS an accident, I must give credit to the actor because I can just feel his frustration when EJ doesn't believe him.

Indeed. That's also the theme in the book that SH gave to Dong Hee ~ The Catcher in The Rye. It's scary to see how JS replayed his parents advice, especially from his father, and used them as a reference to act, even quoting the exact words. Happened again in ep.12 ~ yes I'm watching raw because I can't wait, lol...

Yes, very ironic title considering the content... really curious what the writer is going to end this series with.

I too think that Seo Dong-Hyun (JS) is doing a really great job in his role here. Constantly being impressed by his acting, especially in his scenes with his mother.

tragedy hit on my family so I haven't been in the forum lately  bc this drama was too dark watch when the tragedy hit. Finally I have  watched last weeks episodes. Still on watching this week episodes. 

I have to say that the actor who plays JS he is really doing great job. 

So this drama went with the sexual assault plot which I feared but really didn't want to happen. And it Isn't even a suprise to me if it JS dad who assaulted DH. 

I'm wondering why did EJ marry OJP? Was they marriage ever bliss and happiness?

I been also thinking about the title. I mean there is no beautiful world because bad things happens everyday. But your own life can be beautiful and you can dream of beautiful world. 

5 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I too think that Seo Dong-Hyun (JS) is doing a really great job in his role here

Oo that's his name? No wonder he looks so familiar! He was the other kid in Miracle We Met. He was a fumbling kid in MWM and now he is a bully? He is definately another kid actor to look for.

The girl who played SH is also to look out for. The isn't going to be like PSH/KSH/KYJ because she isn't the pretty/cute kind. But she has her own specialty. 

Will be watching 12 once subs are out

ep 11-12 were really good. 

What got me on this episodes was that Inha was like the other mothers. protect your son. bury the truth. but luckily she wised up. 

Joon Seok in finally falling apart. I don't know if it about guilt or bc things aren't going his way. 

I'm wondering why was SH reading a book about Eichmann. he was the one of major organizers of the holocaust.

The book was about EIchmann trial in jeresalem

minor detail are they making a couple in SH aunt and the teacher?

The truth is finally coming up. But we still have four episodes left. 

4 hours ago, joccu said:

I'm wondering why was SH reading a book about Eichmann. he was the one of major organizers of the holocaust.

The book was about EIchmann trial in jeresalem

I am always interested in the books chosen by the writer to be featured in this drama. Below is the overview from wikipedia:

Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil is a 1963 book by political theorist Hannah Arendt. Arendt, a Jew who fled Germany during Adolf Hitler's rise to power, reported on Adolf Eichmann's trial for The New Yorker.

Arendt's subtitle famously introduced the phrase "the banality of evil," which also serves as the final words of the book. In part, at least, the phrase refers to Eichmann's deportment at the trial as the man displayed neither guilt for his actions nor hatred for those trying him, claiming he bore no responsibility because he was simply "doing his job" ("He did his duty...; he not only obeyed orders, he also obeyed the law." p. 135).

Is this referring to JS? or OJP?...

After watching ep.12, I really want to go hug JS... poor boy. He is really ruined by his own parents :(

I looked 11 ep.
It was powerful. I express my most sincere thanks to the scriptwriter and actors. Each episode beats in the heart.
And yes, the difference is clearly visible in this episode. SH's parents believe their son, so they do not try to hide everything. And the mother of JS did not believe her son, so she committed a crime.:unsure:
And JS will soon go crazy with such parents. Mother drinks and swallows pills, father shows aggression and tells about the elect of this world. Therefore, he became what he became.
One thing is gratifying that at least the girls became friends and the ghost girl began to smile. These two little girls touch my heart and carry the light to the drama.:wub:

@ktcjdrama Thank you for the shoutout. Have not been watching any new kdramas of late... just revisiting older, much loved ones. Do I need to prepare my heart to be trampled over like in Children of Nobody? Are you selling glue / giving them out for free here too? ;) In any case, since you're recommending it, I will definitely give it a try and see how I go, though it looks like I have much to catch up on (12 eps!) Park Hee Soon and Nam Da Reum have impressed me with their performances in the past so that is definitely a plus going in. 

On 5/11/2019 at 12:15 PM, ktcjdrama said:

Indeed. That's also the theme in the book that SH gave to Dong Hee ~ The Catcher in The Rye. It's scary to see how JS replayed his parents advice, especially from his father, and used them as a reference to act, even quoting the exact words. Happened again in ep.12 ~ yes I'm watching raw because I can't wait, lol...

Yes, very ironic title considering the content... really curious what the writer is going to end this series with.

I too think that Seo Dong-Hyun (JS) is doing a really great job in his role here. Constantly being impressed by his acting, especially in his scenes with his mother.

Thank you guys for your posts. I am keeping up with the drama by reading your posts since I have to wait longer for the subs. I am glad that you are also posting the books that they are reading in this drama. Please keep posting your summaries and discussion of the drama. The character of JS, I agree with In Ha when she told EJ that she is not protecting her son by not telling the truth because she is actually harming her son. I wonder if in the end, SH will awaken. 

7 hours ago, liddi said:

@ktcjdrama Thank you for the shoutout. Have not been watching any new kdramas of late... just revisiting older, much loved ones. Do I need to prepare my heart to be trampled over like in Children of Nobody? Are you selling glue / giving them out for free here too? ;) In any case, since you're recommending it, I will definitely give it a try and see how I go, though it looks like I have much to catch up on (12 eps!) Park Hee Soon and Nam Da Reum have impressed me with their performances in the past so that is definitely a plus going in. 

:lol: so far no glue is needed... though I've been wanting to smack some of the adults many times <_<

Glad that you'll give it a try. Looking forward to reading your insights. Sorry for the late shoutout, but hopefully you are able to make it before the finale airs, maybe one episode a day? :D I marathoned SKY Castle for 14 episodes the other day because it was so good. Sleeping at 4 am which I haven't done for a long time already. 

21 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil is a 1963 book by political theorist Hannah Arendt. Arendt, a Jew who fled Germany during Adolf Hitler's rise to power, reported on Adolf Eichmann's trial for The New Yorker.

Arendt's subtitle famously introduced the phrase "the banality of evil," which also serves as the final words of the book. In part, at least, the phrase refers to Eichmann's deportment at the trial as the man displayed neither guilt for his actions nor hatred for those trying him, claiming he bore no responsibility because he was simply "doing his job" ("He did his duty...; he not only obeyed orders, he also obeyed the law." p. 135).

Is this referring to JS? or OJP?...

I would say that it refers more to OJP what with his statements that the power of the world belongs only to a select few, he is an elitist 

A Beautiful World: Episode 11

by lovepark

beautifulworld11-00113a.jpg

A new dilemma falls on our heroes that shakes them to the core. They must choose whether to continue their fight for justice or ignore it for the bliss that comes with ignorance. The truth may not always be what they expected, and sometimes it’s tempting to just run away from it all. As our heroes stand at a crossroad, they learn that the line between good and evil is thinner than they thought.

EPISODE 11 RECAP: Confusion

more http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/05/a-beautiful-world-episode-11/

I've just caught up to episode 12 and I gotta say Joon Seok's parents.....are ummm....I can't even call them parents...they only care about themselves pretty much...hypocrites

Poor Joon Seok he's being raised as someone that will think the wrong things are the right things to do

I would like Joon Seok to redeem himself, but by the looks of it so far :( 

Secretly hoping for Seon Ho's parents to adopt Dong Hee and Dong Ho...maybe even Jook Seok as well to raise him properly lol

Caught up with episode 12. Seems in the preview for next ep that the guard will meet up with the truck of doom. But then, they showed the cactus plants.... growing in the oasis that is so sturdy...hopefully they will find whatever they need buried in the roots of the cactus plant 

Just started watching episode 1 so I'm still not very familiar with the character's names except for the poor boy (Seon Ho) who jumped.

It's pretty heavy for me since I'm a parent myself with kids in school.

It is sad that such thing is happening in reality as well.

And sometimes, adults make it worse by covering up just because bad things did not happen to their kid!

What sort of kids are we raising right?

If I can, I WANT to smack:

1) That damn Detective and I don't like his face too.

2) The 4 boys for the "Avengers"

3) The parents of the rich family. Especially the father. I want to smack him MANY MANY TIMES

4) Those adults in the school except the teacher 

4644cb4d-bbec-4529-b2a2-23988d26eb3d.gif

Aargh!!!!! :rage:

@ktcjdrama thanks for recommending. I'll continue to watch but I'm not sure if I will be in time to catch up to comment. 

The curiosity in me wants me to continue to watch.

The parent in me wants me to take a break before I get more paranoid and upset.

For now, I'm gonna stop at episode 1 first and take a break. The start of episode 2 made it worse with the detective and the neighbours.

AARGH!!!

Was there really a sexual assault? The girl's parents were hushing it up so it was highly unlikely that she was examined by a doctor. It depends on only her words.  Earlier she seemed to only agree to meet SH when she noticed JS watching them. Could she be baiting JS? 

EJ seems to be ready to breakdown any minute. I pitied her from the beginning but at the same time was very annoyed with her actions. The whole mess would have not be so huge if she did not set it up as a suicide, not try to bribe the guard whose life seemed so pathetic, not lie so much. 

It was amazing how glib she was when put on a spot. When JS said that he was her whole life, I could now understand her actions which to her were protecting him, when in effect she was making things worse.

The last episode with IH pleading EJ not to ruin her son's life was rather bleah. Her tone of voice and of course the ever ready tears just don't match  her being suspicious of JS. It would have been more natural if she sounded incredulous or even angry. 

Will SH regain consciousness?

Archived