[Drama 2019] He Is Psychometric, 사이코메트리 그녀석

0ly40

7 hours ago, RPM said:

SM Again behind the bars I'm so sad for this kind of mental torture again:bawling:

It's more hurting. 

It would be better if story was based on LA helping SM to find the culprit(Someone else/Other character). Then story will be happy ending for all. 

Right, like there no justice for him. He suffer for what, like the writer didnt explain much. 

4 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I have just read the recaps. The ending is disappointing. In my eyes, they ruined the character SM.

Im with you, they could do better for his character. Why make him suffer to  the end. The most unfortunate character him and jisoo.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, nrllee said:

Writer penned his character with an extremely sad beginning.  Born into captivity, deprived of a normal upbringing BUT he did have his mother’s love.  We were hoping for a redemptive arc but writer didn’t give it to us.  Instead she has gone down the path that if you start off bad, love is insufficient to bring you around in the end?  Bleak.  Hopeless.  Devastating.  In the nature Vs nurture debate, this writer has just sided with nature, hands down.  He was born in a cell and it looks like he will die in a cell.  :mellow:

Strongly agree

5 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I have just read the recaps. The ending is disappointing. In my eyes, they ruined the character SM.

So true. The writer/pd-nim could of done a great story with him and JS. Soo sad it had to end the way it did for them two.

5 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

The recapper at DramaMilk said it well when she commented (I'm paraphrasing here) that dramas that end like this one left her bloated with emotional constipation.

......Sorry but I've gotta keep saying that I hate this.  I just can't stick this  ending.  Just can't.  JS died for nothing.  LA and JI spent years suffering and SM knew he was the cause.  I don't understand.  It doesn't make sense.  SM had feelings at that point.  He and his mom had escaped to Canada, so what was the point in him returning to Korea if it was only to make his father suffer and that also made LA and JI suffer, too.

It does NOT make sense.  SM did seem shady at times but I still can't believe that he would use people he cared about in that manner.

This should have been a great drama, and it totally fell apart. 

I cannot, I will not, understand.

4 hours ago, rika978 said:

okay like maybe I missed out something because I haven't rlly watched the episodes properly "properly" but is there a reason why SM couldn't just kill his dad straight on? without having to stab the women and creating the fire?

somebody fill me in?

SM wanted his dad to suffer but since evil dad couldn't suffer since he can't feel anything, SM was trying to find ways to make him suffer.  IMHO, that is exceptionally ugly.

If I recall properly (someone correct me if I'm wrong), SM's mother didn't want him to kill his dad and made him promise that he wouldn't (or am I confusing this with another drama?).  Unfortunately, SM still became a murderer.

You know guys, if he had amnesia due to the fall and recovered his memories later down in the line, I would understand why he had to hide it from them. In fear that he would lose his current family and friends.  However the fact that he knew everything yet he took care of them like a family makes this worse. How ironic is it that he became the one person he hated the most:(. I'm glad I didn't continue from episode 3 lol. 

Thank you chingus for the recaps and summaries:)

I finished watching with subs... some mixed feelings about it. The finale maybe a little bit anti-climatic, but I actually like the way things are wrapped up. I just still don't really get the YSS corruption part.

One thing I've learned is not to watch finale without subs for a drama with uncertain/unpredictable endings... I usually ended up disappointed when I did that. So if you haven't watched with subs, I suggest that you still go watch it with the subs. I really like the narration of LA towards the end, around 47min mark, starting when KEJ opened the window's curtain. 

Yes, I still wish that JS is not dead, but given that SM is the culprit all along, they both won't get any happy ending anyway. At first I thought that with the things SM committed, he would have gotten a death sentence, but the court explained the ruling that considering he was a minor then and with a background of half his life was in captive, and he's shown remorse and sought forgiveness from the victims' families, he was given a 13-yr sentence.

1 hour ago, thistle said:

If I recall properly (someone correct me if I'm wrong), SM's mother didn't want him to kill his dad and made him promise that he wouldn't (or am I confusing this with another drama?).  Unfortunately, SM still became a murderer.

No, you're right. His mother did ask him not to kill his father because then he would become a monster like his father. I'd say what young SM did was a spur of the moment thing which he didn't really think through, thus making bad decisions to kill the three ladies. I had thought, why didn't he just start the fire in his own apartment, with the dead body he found. That should have been enough to get an investigation. But he did explain that he thought by making the case bigger, he hoped to get a proper investigation on who did it, hoping the police would catch his father instead. Okay, stupid decision of course. But he was a young person, and had a super abnormal childhood (9 years captivity with no exposure to outside world or other people). It was explained how he then felt paralyzed at the apartment corridor by the horrific thing he'd just done.

7 hours ago, turtle0217 said:

He went through all that to protect his mother, but making the wrong choices and betraying the people who loved and cared for him.

It breaks my heart that JS died for nothing. She saved him and he doesn't turn good? WTH!

It's okay, let's hope Jinyoung gets another good drama. His acting was very good in here. Also have Dasom and Kim Kwon act in a drama together, where he's not all dead inside.

I don't consider him betraying the people who loved and cared for him, but more like he is trying to make it up to them because he knows that he did them wrong. But he can't come clean with them yet... As for whether he turned good or not for JS, well, he can't really turn any other way actually because what's done is done and he cannot undo it. I do believe he will still turn himself in even if his mother didn't ask him to. He was already preparing for it, as can be seen with the books of YSS Construction and the calls he's been making to the chairman.

Yes, yes. I really love Jinyoung's acting. He's good! He can act silly and cute, but he can also act deep emotional scenes. I hope to see him again soon. As well as the other young cast. I think my favorite character here would be YJI and I also look forward to Shin Ye Eun's next drama.

12 hours ago, turtlegirl said:

Another scene, SM picks up some flyers for a man holding a street sign. He touches the man's hand....he doesn't get a read from it. His psychometry is gone. He smiles. No more awful burden on him. 

The end! 

Actually with the subs, my impression is that he's still getting readings. Because JI asked him whether he knows some medical jargon that doctors use. Implying that they're going to take up this case to help that man. That's why LA smiled, excited for his next case.

2 hours ago, nrllee said:

Yeah I agree with most here. I like that JI and LA got their happy ever after but I didn’t like how writer made SM out to be the monster in the end.  I haven’t watched but from the sounds of it he did all the killings?  Including the HanMin home one?  If he did then he’s turned out to be a worse man than his dad was?  His dad killed the lady in the suitcase which he dragged into the apartment but SM killed everyone else?   And all those people who perished in the fire too?  There were a lot.

The HanMin home killing was done by his father. But I'm not sure who started the fire. As for the two ladies in suitcase, done by KGY. Although he did say his client didn't want loose end, I doubt that SM ordered him to do so by killing them. I guess young SM never expected the fire to be so explosively big that it killed other people. And it seems that besides the three stabbed ladies, only LA's parents died because of the lift falling? I'm not sure as we're not told there were other victims. Again, as I've shared above, it was a very bad decision which he didn't think through properly.

Okay, time for nitpicking, just because...

Spoiler

If the blast of the apartment fire was as big as we're shown, how could the original wooden furniture at the foyer still be around for LA to get a reading on? :P

The recapper at DramaMilk said it well when she commented (I'm paraphrasing here) that dramas that end like this one left her bloated with emotional constipation.

......Sorry but I've gotta keep saying that I hate this.  I just can't stick this  ending.  Just can't.  JS died for nothing.  LA and JI spent years suffering and SM knew he was the cause.  I don't understand.  It doesn't make sense.  SM had feelings at that point.  He and his mom had escaped to Canada, so what was the point in him returning to Korea if it was only to make his father suffer and that also made LA and JI suffer, too.

It does NOT make sense.  SM did seem shady at times but I still can't believe that he would use people he cared about in that manner.

This should have been a great drama, and it totally fell apart. 

I cannot, I will not, understand.

SM wanted his dad to suffer but since evil dad couldn't suffer since he can't feel anything, SM was trying to find ways to make him suffer.  IMHO, that is exceptionally ugly.

ahh, right. But my gosh that doesn't make sense to me, promises mum to not kill dad, but proceeds to kill other innocent people on a super large scale and framed JI's dad?? I just find it so, what??? it's just so unbelievable. I cant. 

He and his mom had escaped to Canada, so what was the point in him returning to Korea

This was explained in ep.14 around 25min mark... The police investigation into KGY organization which killed the homeless for identity theft was started at that time. So they were afraid that the mother's fake identity would be found out. So they came back to change it. Following that KGY decided to kill both of the women whose identity were given to SM's mother so as not to have loose ends.

Okie dokie just watched with subs. It's late here so I'll just comment a little. So I actually thought they wrapped everything up well. Though I have to say SM really has some horrible reasoning. He killed those ladies to frame Taek so Taek would go to jail for a long time and his mother would be safe. He also wouldn't kill Taek himself because he wanted him to suffer a slow death. But yet his ideas were completely misguided...did he just not realize the ripple effect it would have and the fact that it would cause his mother more pain in the end to know her son became a murderer because of her? SM to me became the most pitiful character. He just didn't have a clue. As for his 13 year sentence, hrmm, not quite sure I agree with that, but okay I mean those of us who still have sympathy for him can say at least the whole rest of his life isn't ruined. Of course I don't think I'm one of those people who have sympathy for him except in the fact that I think he's clueless as to the motives of his actions. He ruined a LOT of lives and for that I think he deserves to rot in jail for life. Sorry. When An went to visit him he said he didn't know when to stop the resentment or start the forgiveness. The judge said at SM's trial that SM's victims would be affected for the rest of their lives and I agree with that. I'd be curious to see 13 years down the line what happens when SM is freed. My guess is he would go to live a quiet life far away with his mother. I don't foresee An or JI ever wanting to be close to him again.

Quick note about SM's mother....was it ever mentioned when she was taken captive by Taek? When they had the flashback with her as a child, meeting Taek who was already a grown man, I wondered if she was taken prisoner as a child. Perhaps she gave birth to SM at a very young age which could also explain their extra close bond. Very sad. 

Thank you @ktcjdrama for clarification on An's psychometric abilities. After watching just now with subs, I got the same impression that yes, his abilities are still there. In a way I feel sad because I know it was a burden on him. I keep going back to that scene where he's walking in the rain and every hand he touches he sees something awful that person has done. That scene really made my heart break for An. But on the flip side, if he can use his powers to do good, and to bring justice to good people who were wronged, or to take down bad guys, well...that's a good thing then. But I'm with JI, maybe take on some lighter cases, not the murder ones that involve corpses and stuff. Of course An won't listen though and will do what he wants. Just no more collapsing and almost dying, An, do you hear me?

So overall I really enjoyed the series despite its darkness and sadness at times. The story line kept me guessing what was going to happen and none of my predictions came true. It also left me thinking about humanity and life. A++ to the superb actors too. Looking forward to seeing the actress who played JI in another series (sorry I can't remember her name). She reminds me of the actress from Just Between Lovers (omg sorry I can't remember her name right now either but I know I know it lol). Anyways I love new talented young actresses. But all the actors from the series I hope to see again soon - they were all wonderful. 

:)

I understand most folks being upset with the ending, but  I see it a little differently.  In someways it seemed like a natural conclusion to SM's journey.

Going off the recap, because I haven't seen the subs as yet.

1- I don't think the writers went back on anything the said/showed about SM's character.  In truth, they said very little and showed very little about him. He was a mysterious package that we were invited to guess on the content.

2- He was kind, but distant.  He didn't/couldn't share himself because he knew what he had done was unforgivable.  He was kind to An.  I believed SM loved An as a brother but he also thought An couldn't love him back after what he'd done. He protected Ji-Soo by keeping her away from him.

3- SM's solution to the situation he and his mother were in when he was a teenager makes perfect sense, considering his life up until then.  I think human compassion can be stamped out of people by overwhelming cruelty, especially when they experienced  cruelty at an early age. 

--I'm not sure how how old SM was at the time of the fire--but I suspect he was 14 or 15.  He was captive until he was 9-10, so that was 9-10 years of brutal captivity  and 4-5 years of living in the world of institutional indifference.

-He didn't know anything beyond relying on and protecting his mother.

- Over time he learned there might have other ways of dealing with the situation.  One of his regret is that he did not know how to accept the help that was offered to him.  He realized only after being in the world for much longer that there are kind people and people who do the right things along with the usual corrupt exploiters.

-the show takes care to show how institutional indifference and the obsession with protecting an organization images can cause real harm.  The police that dealt with SM and his mother after they escaped didn't do a proper investigation because they were afraid of calling attention to the fact that they had made a mistake.

-the conclusion of the apartment fire investigation led to a wrong conviction because of cronyism and corruption.

-with the world acting like that, who can blame SM for trying to find his own solution.

4- The most shocking and unforgivable thing the did was the cold murder of the 3 women as an means to an end. He didn't treat them as human beings but as disposable objects

-It he had only started the fire, although it  was a crime I would have found it excusable to my mind, because he didn't  do it to kill. 

-Allowing Jae-in fathers to be imprisoned was also very bad.  BUT he did try to correct that, but corrupt police officials did not listen, they had other fish to fry, taking bribes and getting promotions. The only thing he could have done would have been to confess and that would have removed the advantage he gained for this mother.

5- SM is clearly not a monster.  

-Over time the number of people he cared for and wanted to protect expanded. 

-He supported An and Jae-in financially as soon as he had money to do so because he had taken both their parents from them.  It must have been hard for him because their parents were the only ones who SAW him and tried to offer him help when he was besieged.

-He loves

-He regrets.

-He feels emotional pain.

It seems to me that throughout the drama, there were two things that SM wanted and pursued relentlessly.

1-He wanted to kill his father, because that was the only way he knew to permanently protect his mother.

2-He wanted to be punished for what he had done.

-SM seemed to have wanted An to be the one to make him suffer the consequence

-SM was meticulous in tracking the development of An's ability, not because he wanted to avoid punishment, but because he was waiting to be punished.

-SM put An and Jae-in together hoping that by doing so they would be able to know what he had done and get him punished.

Perhaps the subs will explain why SM wouldn't turn himself in and needed An to reveal his crimes, but however you sliced it, he wasn't planning on keeping his transgressions a secret forever.

44 minutes ago, turtlegirl said:

Though I have to say SM really has some horrible reasoning.

Yes he has... but again, he was only a teenager who lived half his life confined, not seeing sunlight even.

44 minutes ago, turtlegirl said:

As for his 13 year sentence, hrmm, not quite sure I agree with that, but okay I mean those of us who still have sympathy for him can say at least the whole rest of his life isn't ruined. Of course I don't think I'm one of those people who have sympathy for him except in the fact that I think he's clueless as to the motives of his actions. He ruined a LOT of lives and for that I think he deserves to rot in jail for life. Sorry.

I agree. At first I thought he would get the death/life sentence, but when the judge was delivering the consideration, I thought okay, maybe 20+ years. So when I heard 13, I also thought well, that's quite light for what he's done.

45 minutes ago, turtlegirl said:

Quick note about SM's mother....was it ever mentioned when she was taken captive by Taek? When they had the flashback with her as a child, meeting Taek who was already a grown man, I wondered if she was taken prisoner as a child.

No, I don't remember there was any mentioned. But we may be able to work it backward 9 years from the time that her case was discovered. It's rather sad to find out that the obsession started that way. She was only being a sweet helpful girl :tears: But again, I'm glad that explanation was included in the finale.

45 minutes ago, turtlegirl said:

A++ to the superb actors too. Looking forward to seeing the actress who played JI in another series (sorry I can't remember her name). She reminds me of the actress from Just Between Lovers (omg sorry I can't remember her name right now either but I know I know it lol). Anyways I love new talented young actresses. But all the actors from the series I hope to see again soon - they were all wonderful. 

Yes I love all these actors, even the one playing DaeBong, lol.... These are new faces to me. Hope to see them again soon. (The young actress from JBL is Won Jin Ah)

Btw, anyone also thought that SY's father kinda look like DaeBong? LOL....

58655538_327463124583919_216457197003664

57393827_416951035524774_843293505501603

This is something I really don't want to accept it.

Writer ruined his character,  there were also other ways to run the story but writer choose this path .

12 hours ago, thistle said:

Hard for me to accept, too, because this also betrays the viewers.  

While I understand that not all endings are sunshine and roses, it is not good to fail to follow through with the first 75% of the show.  A show needs to end the way it began.  It's gotta follow through.  This show doesn't.

I'm actually a bit offended by the fact that all the "couples" appear at the end, like everybody gets to be love-love-happy-happy while SM rots in prison and JS lies in her grave.  The couple thing is like the writer tried to slap a bandage onto the story to finish it up, like "it's okay, the boo-boo is covered over now and, look, it's a happy ending."  No, no it's not.  This does Not make it okay.

I'm totally agree with you. 

I skipped those last scenes because it's hurt so much. 

As for the last scene LA psychometric ability I think it's gone now with Kang Seong Mo left his side ( I know it doesn't make much sense ) But in the beginning I thought SM Alexythemia and LA psychometry combination great concept to justify title" He is psychometric " When SM saved his life psychometry  miracle granted to LA for SM who was suffering from Alexythemia  ( But according to last episode his Alexythemia also ended that day ) .

I'm so sad with Kang seong Mo Sad Ending . I'm disappointed,  feeling hurt,  denial mode:bawling: Without him this drama was nothing. So without his Happy ending this drama also not having Happy Ending. 

Soooo Hello! Just started watching Psychom...I know...I’m late...But will pop here to give my opinions about the episodes I watched lol..

First off...Can I say...The murder that caused Lee An’s parents to die...That murder was so delicate...That person made sure to cover up the murder by staging it. Suspicious...it’s really giving me that vibe that this part of story is going to be one of the bigger cases or the final big case in this series...

Lee An, after knowing his backstory of how he is like a infamous persona, I find that it’s really cool! Ahahahaha. His Hyung even, he looks so presentable, professional. I love it! ( @triplem

I feel that the female student who thought that Lee An is the pervert...she..is righteous and strong in a sense (from the outside) but I felt awkward for how she thought Lee An was a pervert Hahahaha.

I think it’s not bad :) I shall continue and place my thoughts here!

@Lawyerh @triplem @ktcjdrama

Lol So finished episode 2....  

A new determination in Jae In (Yes..finally remembers her name) so...I like that they have some comedy factors in them :) Lee An abs wow Hahahaha so sudden and his abs I’m like :scream: okay...so story....*cough* I like the pace that it’s going. It’s not too fast or slow either, it expresses the back story real quick. Hahahahaha! The teacher classroom exam case sparks a hatred for me on that teacher....I really don’t like him. :)  

And @triplem your Oppa and Lee An...is there a ship between them?:joy: when they were at the roof top joking, I really like their bromance lol:joy: 

So right now...Jae In and Lee An are finally working together..,I just wonder how they would react when they find out about the connection they have in the past hmmmmm.

So I finished this one. Plus points to super fast subbers, really, it makes  the whole viewing experience so much better when you aren't trying to guess what's going on. (Yes, I'm learning Korean. No, you can't do that in a single night. Unless maybe you're a mermaid named Jun Ji Hyun.) 

The acting was good. I think everyone working on this did a great job. It's nice to watch your favorite veteran actors, and it's also nice to see newcomers nail their roles. I think the writing was fine as far as the script goes. I mean, the story held together and all. And it was plenty tense, so even though I don't actually care for gory stories, I kept watching because I really wanted a resolution. I thought the pacing was good in general. 

The part I didn't like so much was the ending. Just...the point of the story, as some of you have said. That simply put, the guy was born as a monster's son, and he turned into a monster, too. That no matter how much other people loved him, he could never succeed past that point. Which then made me question the point of the whole drama. Because...he didn't change. He simply let people catch him. He developed feelings--when it was too late. I guess I just disagree with the main point the writer was trying to make. Also, like some of you said, it was a little weird to be all happy go lucky, couple-y at the end, after all of that. 

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what these actors do in their next projects. I liked their acting. Liked many things about this drama, but the ending...well, I would have written it differently...

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2019] He Is Psychometric, 사이코메트리 그녀석

I keep seeing gifs and pix of the lead pairing. But I was wondering, HOW did the finale end for the secondary pairing? Or there wasn't a secondary pairing? I thought I saw two other actors in the press conferences that were main too....

5 hours ago, fitzsimmons said:

I keep seeing gifs and pix of the lead pairing. But I was wondering, HOW did the finale end for the secondary pairing? Or there wasn't a secondary pairing? I thought I saw two other actors in the press conferences that were main too....

The secondary pairing?  Well, that's the painful part that made me despise (and I do Not use that word lightly) the last quarter of this drama. 

The second female lead JS was murdered and died for absolutely nothing, even though she tried to convince the second male lead SM not to be evil  Unfortunately, SM (LA's "hyung" and JI"s daddy longlegs) was already evil since turned out to be the person who murdered three women and set the apartment fire that killed LA's parents and that JI's dad was framed for committing.  For years, SM appeared to support LA and to encourage JI but all he was really doing was using them.

However, two other couples did get together:  JI's aunt and the policeman; LA's best buddy and JI's friend.  But this only felt like salt being poured into a raw wound knowing that JS is dead and SM is in jail.

I am still angry about how this all played out.  It was disappointing.  It didn't follow the tenor that the show had maintained through the first three quarters.  It didn't even make me glad that LA and JI got together because the way the storyline imploded was just too bitter.

.............editing to add a thought that has been on my mind:  I can't credit who made the statement (I surely would if I could and I suspect that I probably saw it on Tumblr) but someone online somewhere said something like this: 

Come and Hug Me made 32 episodes proving that being the child of a monster does not make a person a monster, and it took He is Psychometric only 4 episodes to trash that idea.

Thanks for the reply. For some reason, when I had watched the early episodes, I got the sense that the secondary male lead might be the evil person behind the killings. Just based on a gut feeling. BUT when I saw him interacting with the secondary female, I thought maybe I was wrong. It kind of looked like they were building up their relationship too. 

As a side note, I'm a HUGE HUGE fan of Come and Hug Me. I'm glad you brought that up. But that show is a rare gem. I don't think many can do what it did in terms of that type of storytelling. It was just so well written and acted. 

Archived