[Drama 2019] Abyss, 어비스

puppyjjang

7 hours ago, jasminssiii said:

Sometimes I just have this urge to talk to the writer and scold her for what she's doing lol.

:lol: Haha!  Same! It's so frustrating because this is such a great concept and the leads are great but the writing and poor narrative choices ...so many missed opportunities...When I think how fantastic this drama could be in the hands of a more talented and competent writer  *sighs*

5 hours ago, cantera said:

Abyss is still somewhat interesting and actors have done a good job. It would be unfair to compare this to Crowned Clown. I think we knew what we were getting after 2-3 episodes for abyss.  And ratings would have been worse if Park Boyoung was not acting. But there's good chance it can still finish strong as long as there's not too much focus on crime. The plot is not just good enough to focus a lot on serial killing. Of course I don't expect some real stud plot like secret forest but even above average plot combined with fantasy setting along with such awesome cast would have made it a successful show if not a great one.

Agreed

12 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

Seo's motives are still a mystery to me too. I agree that based on his flashbacks as a child with YC, he wouldn't be fond of YC so why help him? I am wondering if it's possible that he is helping YC only to conceal the truth that he is YC's biological son. Maybe he doesn't want to be linked to a serial murderer for a father and that's why he's been preventing SY/detectives from breaking the cold cases. I don't know...just a thought.

1 hour ago, turtle0217 said:

I just finished episode 6 and man! Soo upset at Ji Wook. He's a bad guy, too! He's a copycat.

My guess is when his father beat up him as a child and said those words to him like "you already lost." It was something he kept all along and will get back at the father. That's why he became a quiet killer like the father, just to pin things up against the father and repeat the exact words back.

So here is another of my guess on how Seo and OYC works together. Seo kills the people who has a hate towards OYC, then send them to the hospital for OYC to patch them up as if OYC was trying to be a miracle doctor to save them, but lets them die instead. This was a way for Seo to get OYC to trust him, but honestly he was just waiting to turn the tables around.

Now OYC was using HeeJin to get back at Seo. So it's like father and son battling to see who wins at this stupid game. Just a guess from finishing episode 6.

I don't understand Seo's motives yet either.  There's definitely no love lost between them so why help YC?  Another thing is from the meeting with Shady Seo's (adopted?) father it seems like he might know something about YC's crimes.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, turtle0217 said:

I just finished episode 6 and man! Soo upset at Ji Wook. He's a bad guy, too! He's a copycat.

My guess is when his father beat up him as a child and said those words to him like "you already lost." It was something he kept all along and will get back at the father. That's why he became a quiet killer like the father, just to pin things up against the father and repeat the exact words back.

So here is another of my guess on how Seo and OYC works together. Seo kills the people who has a hate towards OYC, then send them to the hospital for OYC to patch them up as if OYC was trying to be a miracle doctor to save them, but lets them die instead. This was a way for Seo to get OYC to trust him, but honestly he was just waiting to turn the tables around.

Now OYC was using HeeJin to get back at Seo. So it's like father and son battling to see who wins at this stupid game. Just a guess from finishing episode 6.

You may be right! It makes sense that ONE OF Seo's motives is to win his own battle with YC. But apart of me feels like that Seo is using the opportunity to kill SY and thus, excels on the prosecutor world. SY is an exceptional prosecutor and from the first episode, it seems like she had been standing above Seo. And if the head prosecutor is his second father, he may've been pressuring Seo to be the best and makes him want to discard her with the help of YC. When he gets what he wants, he puts him behind the bars, disguising as the prosecutor who succeeds on the most coldest case in South Korea. The look on YC's face looking at Seo is a look of betrayal. He thought that his son is his wingman but is wrong all along.

But then YC is such a smart-richard simmons that he forms a new strategy by using HJ to get whatever he wants. Gosh, this is so fun ㅋㅋㅋ.

This may be wishful thinking on my part, but there are 10 episodes left so there's still room for the storyline to get better (fingers crossed) though maybe not so for ratings. With YC arrested now (hopefully for good), it's likely the nonsense killings/revivals will stop and the storyline will shift its focus to unraveling the mysteries of Seo and his connection to YC. If it does that, I think it could bring the storyline somewhat back on track. Either way, I agree that there are many plot holes and the writing could be so much better, but it's been fun trying to figure out what the heck is going on when in truth, no one really knows what's going on.

P.S. Really enjoyed reading the differing theories on Seo. Can't wait until the truth is revealed!

Oh hoho... PsychoDoctorResurrectedOldMan is smart enough to figure out some rules of the Abyss.

For goodness sakes, I hope our AliveAgainDuo can be at least a pace ahead...

PS. Are they putting HJ in the middle. As in, she could still go good or bad....

1 hour ago, stargazer187 said:

And some romance won't hurt of course. I do want more. On top of that, they have gorgeous OTP they shouldn't waste. I like the dinner scene in CM's house. When he puts some meat on her spoon rice. Then tells her while gather the other dishes closer to her side. Aww... that's sweet. He naturally cares for her. 

I just feel like the I'm the 이모 smiling just looking at CM how careful and sweetly serving SY all her favorite food :lol:

I think we will start to get the romance we all wanted from the start for the next episodes since they are working together now. It also seems like se yeon will fall for him first. Regarding in the ownership of the abyss I don't think that young chul has to die first so before it will go back to cha min I think cha min has just to get his hands on the abyss and he will be the owner again. It was said in the rule that "temporary" I think it means "you'll have it until the real owner gets it back". Because if it really means that young chul has to die first then they won't get the abyss till the last episode lol.

Lots of good points being made on here for things I had totally forgotten about!

The writing might be on the weak side and some things not making sense (it was weird when HJ asked online about a fake pregnancy test and YC messaged her back literally 5 seconds later lol) but all that said I'm still really interested in the show because of all the questions I have. Hopefully when the answers come out they will at least make sense heh. 

So are we all pretty much leaning towards Shady Seo as being the true killer of SY? Cuz I know I am. 

On 5/22/2019 at 9:14 PM, raziela said:

:lol::lol::lol:

I thought she was using a new phone that Min's mother's staff gave her. The scene made no sense. How did YC know it was her to respond?

That's the thing that bugs me about the writing. I wouldn't mind so much if Yong Chul outsmarted everyone just because he is so intelligent.  The problem is that Young Chul isn't especially intelligent but the writer often has the other characters do stupid things for plot convenience to give YC the upper hand. 

Plotholes...again..haha...yes, it is indeed a new phone. And then she opened this 'Secondhand World', probably a blog of hers? since it says 'My Post' as well. But then, how did YC even know it was her who asked the question...unless, he's been keeping an eye on it. I also hate it when the writer just throws things just for, as you say, plot convenience, giving YC the upper hand. I think for now, some of our questions are due to the writing but hoping all of them gets answered nonetheless.

@turtlegirl I took the liberty of providing that screenshot of the new photo for you :D..here...

20190523-224920.png

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ep 6 is my fave episode thus far. I enjoyed it and probably also why the ratings went back up from 2% to 3%. Because as most of you pointed out, we get to see CM work as the heir to his company and how smart he is actually. It was actually refreshing to see. Also, I absolutely love how courageous SY is facing YC despite being in a dangerous situation, mostly because of PBY's acting, I mean, did you see how those tears are just like naturally flowing from her eyes like a river. No doubt, she's so good with these types of scenes. 

Looks like SY will start to fall for Min now :rolleyes:. She was so smitten by him while he was speaking on his phone (who wouldn't? :D) and even lied to him that the reception in the other room is bad..ha ha..The dinner also is so sweet and heartbreaking for SY. I love how CM is so attentive of her, of what she likes, he knows her very well. Indeed, explaining to her family she is alive will be prolly be tough but perhaps in the end they'll accept it. Also, I too really like the taxi scene. 

It seems to me that YC and Seo is playing a game of who wins and who losses. Basing from his childhood, he should hate his father. But now that we know he was there when SY died, his motive is in question. Agree with @greezlybee, he might just be using YC for his own agenda. Yes, he might be jealous of SY so he wants her dead but not sure if that's solely the reason for him to get rid of her. He didn't do the actual killing because YC did it, but he was still there for God knows why and then put the blame on CM. Still wondering why he would work with his father he supposedly hate. Now, we don't know if Seo will be the main villain from now on that YC is in prison, however he still holds the Abyss. 

I just hope they continue the good pacing from ep 6. This drama still has the potential to be better. If only they started this out on a lighter note, instead of a serial killer plot, like if they kept that mystery until perhaps the end, this could have gone way better. But again, I'm not the writer so all I can do is just complain...lol..the actors are the ones keeping this drama going.

22 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

This may be wishful thinking on my part, but there are 10 episodes left so there's still room for the storyline to get better (fingers crossed) though maybe not so for ratings. With YC arrested now (hopefully for good), it's likely the nonsense killings/revivals will stop and the storyline will shift its focus to unraveling the mysteries of Seo and his connection to YC. If it does that, I think it could bring the storyline somewhat back on track. Either way, I agree that there are many plot holes and the writing could be so much better, but it's been fun trying to figure out what the heck is going on when in truth, no one really knows what's going on.

From your mouth/keyboard to the director-writer's ears.  Let's hope they can get the storyline back on track and continue more in the vein of episode 6. Give the audience what they want!:w00t:

21 hours ago, Dramanoona said:

Oh hoho... PsychoDoctorResurrectedOldMan is smart enough to figure out some rules of the Abyss.

For goodness sakes, I hope our AliveAgainDuo can be at least a pace ahead...

PS. Are they putting HJ in the middle. As in, she could still go good or bad....

:lol: Haha at your nicknames.

17 hours ago, jasminssiii said:

I think we will start to get the romance we all wanted from the start for the next episodes since they are working together now. It also seems like se yeon will fall for him first. Regarding in the ownership of the abyss I don't think that young chul has to die first so before it will go back to cha min I think cha min has just to get his hands on the abyss and he will be the owner again. It was said in the rule that "temporary" I think it means "you'll have it until the real owner gets it back". Because if it really means that young chul has to die first then they won't get the abyss till the last episode lol.

I'm glad we are finally seeing some character development and relationship development as a result of their new circumstances and the humour is back.  These are the kind of episodes we should have been getting last week to keep the audience invested in the story and the characters instead of all the focus on the killer and killing these past few episodes which turned a lot of viewers off.

I think the same about the abyss which is why it didn't make sense CM didn't even try to get it back, discuss it or at least mention it. Nothing. They just sent YC to jail still with a powerful marble that has caused so much chaos in his pocket. It's like the plot and CM+SY just forgot about it! :mellow:  

20 hours ago, stargazer187 said:

And some romance won't hurt of course. I do want more. On top of that, they have gorgeous OTP they shouldn't waste. I like the dinner scene in CM's house. When he puts some meat on her spoon rice. Then tells her while gather the other dishes closer to her side. Aww... that's sweet. He naturally cares for her. 

19 hours ago, lingx2 said:

I just feel like the I'm the 이모 smiling just looking at CM how careful and sweetly serving SY all her favorite food :lol:

Those scenes are so cute especially as that is how CM must have always treated her. Just that SY is only starting to appreciate and notice it now^_^

Watching episode 5: a bit confusing but ohhh unexpected twist at the end was good. I only dislike 

Spoiler

the scenes of physical violence of the bad guy hitting the mother, girl and grabbing her hair etc. I get that it is a flashback but they couldn’t have done to minimize it or shot in a better way.

On 5/23/2019 at 3:57 PM, lightbringer06 said:

Plotholes...again..haha...yes, it is indeed a new phone. And then she opened this 'Secondhand World', probably a blog of hers? since it says 'My Post' as well. But then, how did YC even know it was her who asked the question...unless, he's been keeping an eye on it. I also hate it when the writer just throws things just for, as you say, plot convenience, giving YC the upper hand. I think for now, some of our questions are due to the writing but hoping all of them gets answered nonetheless.

Yes, that scene was so stupid as was the scene where she went to meet him alone..at night..in the deserted park.  Or SY just running off alone at the end of episode 6 as if YC wouldn't just kill her anyway. Or CM following YC alone to a secluded area of the hospital with no cameras so YC can conveniently kill him :rolleyes:

On 5/23/2019 at 3:57 PM, lightbringer06 said:

Ep 6 is my fave episode thus far. I enjoyed it and probably also why the ratings went back up from 2% to 3%. Because as most of you pointed out, we get to see CM work as the heir to his company and how smart he is actually. It was actually refreshing to see. Also, I absolutely love how courageous SY is facing YC despite being in a dangerous situation, mostly because of PBY's acting, I mean, did you see how those tears are just like naturally flowing from her eyes like a river. No doubt, she's so good with these types of scenes. 

Spoiler

Looks like SY will start to fall for Min now :rolleyes:. She was so smitten by him while he was speaking on his phone (who wouldn't? :D) and even lied to him that the reception in the other room is bad..ha ha..The dinner also is so sweet and heartbreaking for SY. I love how CM is so attentive of her, of what she likes, he knows her very well. Indeed, explaining to her family she is alive will be prolly be tough but perhaps in the end they'll accept it. Also, I too really like the taxi scene. 

It seems to me that YC and Seo is playing a game of who wins and who losses. Basing from his childhood, he should hate his father. But now that we know he was there when SY died, his motive is in question. Agree with @greezlybee, he might just be using YC for his own agenda. Yes, he might be jealous of SY so he wants her dead but not sure if that's solely the reason for him to get rid of her. He didn't do the actual killing because YC did it, but he was still there for God knows why and then put the blame on CM. Still wondering why he would work with his father he supposedly hate. Now, we don't know if Seo will be the main villain from now on that YC is in prison, however he still holds the Abyss. 

I just hope they continue the good pacing from ep 6. This drama still has the potential to be better. If only they started this out on a lighter note, instead of a serial killer plot, like if they kept that mystery until perhaps the end, this could have gone way better. But again, I'm not the writer so all I can do is just complain...lol..the actors are the ones keeping this drama going.

It was really great to see the ratings rise again too! :) Very true about how much more enjoyable and better paced episode 6. Just as so many of us said the drama should have maintained the tone of Episode 6 (and earlier episode 2) lighter and focused on our leads, their relationship and new circumstances and the mystery as a sub-plot and it would have had a much better audience response. I agree the killer sub-plot should have been gradually built up in the background to lead to some suspense and surprises in the later part of the drama. Let's hope the writer and director harness the strengths of episode 6 for the upcoming episodes to improve the drama. I agree about PBY's crying scenes particularly (for me) when she was by her mother's bedside :tears: It is so true that the actors have been the saving grace that keep us coming back. 

17 hours ago, stella77 said:

Watching episode 5: a bit confusing but ohhh unexpected twist at the end was good. I only dislike 

Hide contents

the scenes of physical violence of the bad guy hitting the mother, girl and grabbing her hair etc. I get that it is a flashback but they couldn’t have done to minimize it or shot in a better way.

I agree about the physical violence.  I feel like a lot of complaints of the violence should also be at the director-not just the writer.  He doesn't have to film the scenes so graphically.  The scenes can still have impact without being shot so brutally or to keep repeating them.  

Let us know what you think about episode 6!

7 hours ago, adqu said:

:lol: Ha!  Thanks for the BTS! Hyo Seop actually looks pretty cute in that still with the wig on. I didn't realise it was actually him in the mortuary scenes. I thought it was a double or a mannequin. I'm claustrophobic so the idea of filming that freaks me out. I'm glad they didn't close the door. :ph34r:

4 hours ago, raziela said:

Ha!  Thanks for the BTS! Hyo Seop actually looks pretty cute in that still with the wig on. I didn't realise it was actually him in the mortuary scenes. I thought it was a double or a mannequin. I'm claustrophobic so the idea of filming that freaks me out. I'm glad they didn't close the door. :ph34r:

Ha ha..if I were him, I wouldn't even want to sleep in that..even if you pay me :D.

1 hour ago, adqu said:

i just noticed she wiped his sweat off :lol:

they have a cute chemistry, i wish it will be explored more :(

I didn't realize it too until someone pointed out in IG and when I looked carefully, she did!^^ AHS seemed somewhat shy when she did that, and trying to reach the hand that wiped it but PBY just brushes him off :rolleyes:. They're so cute ~~~

1 hour ago, lightbringer06 said:

Ha ha..if I were him, I wouldn't even want to sleep in that..even if you pay me :D.

Was that a real morgue like omg??!! I thought they staff made it because if it's real my goodness there's no way I'll lie in that lol

4 hours ago, adqu said:

i just noticed she wiped his sweat off :lol:

they have a cute chemistry, i wish it will be explored more :(

That is a super adorable BTS of the two. Thanks!! At first, I thought AHS was looking at his pretty self in a hand mirror, but it's just a fan :lol:.

I would really love it if there happens to be a kiss scene somewhere down the line :wub:, but I'll be happy if we simply got more cute chemistry throughout the rest of the drama...please!

Archived