[Drama 2019] Abyss, 어비스

puppyjjang

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just watched 5 & 6. Let me write some questions/thoughts, then I will go back and read through the thread...

- In the flashback HJ was having...I was very confused. Were there 3 kids or only 2? I couldn't tell if first we got a flash back of her and her brother watching their mom getting beat up (as little kids) and then it cut to HJ as a teenager getting beat up, or if the teenager was getting beat up in front of the little kids? If it's the latter, then was HJ the littlest girl or the teenager? And then who would be the 2nd girl? The sequence was hard for me to follow even the 2nd time around...

- When did HJ learn that SY had been revived too? Clearly she told YC about it, but I don't even remember her learning about it in the first place ?? Did I completely miss it. Probably, this show is making me miss lots of stuff. 

- The different photos have me all kinds of confused - in the new photo we were shown, we were supposed to focus on the kid in the foreground or the one standing all aloof in the background? I need a screen shot of that photo...

- Why didn't YC kill HJ when he found her again? He clearly wants her dead. Did they make a new deal? I don't trust HJ at all, although I do understand if her motive is fear of YC.

- Is HJ's mother still alive? Did YC send a pic of her to HJ? That part went quickly...

- Ummm why was the landlady revived into a man? When I saw the face when she fainted I thought dang she looks rough. Then it was revealed she was now a man? Eh?

- Who was the other girl YC killed in the bathtub? Any significance or just another one of his unlucky victims? 

- Shady Seo....definitely working with YC now we know also his son...it also *appears* he was the 2nd person present at SY's murder (and I feel like the one who actually did the killing but we'll see)...I don't get his motives for helping YC, though, it seems YC trained him to be a fighter from a young age. From what we know, he hasn't been present at any of the other murders besides SY (if indeed it was him there), so it's not like he's just pure evil like dear old dad. Hmmmm. 

- Lastly I'll just say I did laugh real hard when CM woke up and thought he had become a woman. I also loved SY's little gazes at him when he was speaking the foreign languages. She was thinking the same thing I was, dang he's pretty sexy being all boss man like that (same with in the LAN meeting, we like a guy who can take charge). 

- And also lastly I feel so sad for SY and the scene with her parents and afterwards when CM was like it's different for you than it was for me...they might not accept you as being their daughter *cries* 

- But why oh why did SY want to move back into the apartment where she was killed??

Anyways I can't believe we still have 10 episodes to go! I have no idea what's gonna happen except probably some more people getting killed and more people getting revived lol, that's as far as my guessing goes with this show! 

1 hour ago, turtlegirl said:

When did HJ learn that SY had been revived too? Clearly she told YC about it, but I don't even remember her learning about it in the first place ?? Did I completely miss it. Probably, this show is making me miss lots of stuff. 

SY told HJ about the revival and abyss when SY went to the guesthouse. SY told her all that since she needs her help on finding the abyss (the cctv scene). 

Why didn't YC kill HJ when he found her again? He clearly wants her dead. Did they make a new deal? I don't trust HJ at all, although I do understand if her motive is fear of YC.

I was questioning this as well but came to a conclusion that YC thinks HJ can be useful. I’m pretty sure the scene YC walking in the forest saying “she can be useful” is to HJ. 

But why oh why did SY want to move back into the apartment where she was killed??

I thought that CM saying “someone will be moving in.” implies to someone else, not SY. But I don’t know, you may be right on that!

I have the same questions with the rest of yours and have to agree how charming CM is when he’s in the meeting! 

@greezlybee answered some of these.  i'll try to answer some too!

2 hours ago, turtlegirl said:

In the flashback HJ was having...I was very confused. Were there 3 kids or only 2? I couldn't tell if first we got a flash back of her and her brother watching their mom getting beat up (as little kids) and then it cut to HJ as a teenager getting beat up, or if the teenager was getting beat up in front of the little kids? If it's the latter, then was HJ the littlest girl or the teenager? And then who would be the 2nd girl? The sequence was hard for me to follow even the 2nd time around...

I think they were two different flashbacks from different ages.  The first flashback was when she was a little girl because her mother was still alive.  The second flashback was when she was a tenenager and her mother had already died/disappeared which is why she says to YC that she knows he killed her mother.

- The different photos have me all kinds of confused - in the new photo we were shown, we were supposed to focus on the kid in the foreground or the one standing all aloof in the background? I need a screen shot of that photo...

There are 3 boys: two on the swing and the one standing in the background.  I feel like the audeince are supposed to focus on the creepy looking kid staring in the background.  I thought he looked a bit like the young Shady Seo in the ep. 6 flashback with young Young Chul so that might be a clue...

- Why didn't YC kill HJ when he found her again? He clearly wants her dead. Did they make a new deal? I don't trust HJ at all, although I do understand if her motive is fear of YC.

Judging by the preview for next episode they made some kind of deal.  I cannot stand her HJ's character!  She is nothing but trouble :angry: CM should have just left her dead sorry not sorry.

- Is HJ's mother still alive? Did YC send a pic of her to HJ? That part went quickly...

I wasn't sure about that part either.  I don't think HJ knows.  Knowing YC she is probably dead:rolleyes:

- Ummm why was the landlady revived into a man? When I saw the face when she fainted I thought dang she looks rough. Then it was revealed she was now a man? Eh?

LMAO! You and me both!  This part made no sense to me either. The different ways people are reviving doesn't make sense at all.

- Who was the other girl YC killed in the bathtub? Any significance or just another one of his unlucky victims? 

I think just another unlucky victim.

- Lastly I'll just say I did laugh real hard when CM woke up and thought he had become a woman. I also loved SY's little gazes at him when he was speaking the foreign languages. She was thinking the same thing I was, dang he's pretty sexy being all boss man like that (same with in the LAN meeting, we like a guy who can take charge). 

Haha! Yes! I loved these scenes.:D Especially how she was low-key impressed but as soon as he looked up she was acting like she didn't care.  I'm so glad we got some lightness and fun back this episode.

- And also lastly I feel so sad for SY and the scene with her parents and afterwards when CM was like it's different for you than it was for me...they might not accept you as being their daughter *cries* 

I feel so sad for her too. I still think they should try tbh.  It's so heartbreaking for SY especially now CM has his life back:tears:

- But why oh why did SY want to move back into the apartment where she was killed??

I had the same thoughts as @greezlybee that CM was referring to a new tenant. I didn't think she was moving in because she said to CM she was just going to get a few things before they went back.  But now you guys are making me think maybe she is moving back which is weird. I know SY is brave but that couldn't be me :crazy:

Wait... If Chan Min can prove to his mom that he is really Chan Min, then why can't SY do it to prove it to her mom that it's really her? I mean, the drama proved that it's possible in this universe.  

Also, why Chan Min's ex-fiancee still using a wired phone that could track her? She's so selfish that she needed a pregnancy test that she would go out in the woods in the middle of the night? Also, why to tell the killer who SY really is.  

@turtlegirl As usual, thanks for outlining all those great questions and @raziela @greezlybee thanks for the answers! They were very helpful! :)

1 hour ago, kboramint said:

Wait... If Chan Min can prove to his mom that he is really Chan Min, then why can't SY do it to prove it to her mom that it's really her? I mean, the drama proved that it's possible in this universe.  

This drama definitely makes the impossible seem possible :lol:. Even with CM trying to explain to SY that her situation is far different from his as her parents saw her dead and buried her, she still seemed determined to try :tears:. They did find her body missing from her coffin so we'll see if they go back later and address that part. I agree with CM though, that it would hard for her parents to accept it.

(This reminded me of poor Dong Cheol. He clearly saw a dead CM, but now alive again. I would put up a cross and faint too LOL.)

1 hour ago, kboramint said:

Also, why Chan Min's ex-fiancee still using a wired phone that could track her? She's so selfish that she needed a pregnancy test that she would go out in the woods in the middle of the night? Also, why to tell the killer who SY really is.   

Sigh...because HJ is selfish/dumb and as @raziela mentioned above, nothing but trouble :angry:. It's a good thing CM has seen her true colors and won't fall for her shenanigans again. However, if she was abused by evil YC, I do feel bad for her though.

The only way to make sense on how they are being revived is that they are being revived based on the look of someone they hate. I've read from a review by parkmule3 in a site that in kdramas, the word “abyss” is often tied to Nietzsche’s famous quote from “Beyond Good and Evil”. It goes something like this:

Whoever fights monsters should beware not to become a monster himself. For when he gazes long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into him.

There are several ways to interpret this but the simplest one will suffice for this drama. It means “you become what you hate.” That’s the interpretation most applicable in this show. On the surface, it acts like a magic ball with a power to revive the dead into the form of its soul. But in a deeper level, when the individual’s soul is filled with revulsion for something or somebody, the abyss ball resurrects the individual into the image of this hateful monster found in his soul. Btw she/he also was able to predict the death of cha min by foreshadowing on how Se Yeon keeps on saying "Do you have a death wish?" to cha min lol. I bet that woman was revived from the looks of his husband she hated him maybe..

2 hours ago, jasminssiii said:

The only way to make sense on how they are being revived is that they are being revived based on the look of someone they hate. I've read from a review by parkmule3 in a site that in kdramas, the word “abyss” is often tied to Nietzsche’s famous quote from “Beyond Good and Evil”. It goes something like this:

Whoever fights monsters should beware not to become a monster himself. For when he gazes long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into him.

There are several ways to interpret this but the simplest one will suffice for this drama. It means “you become what you hate.” That’s the interpretation most applicable in this show. On the surface, it acts like a magic ball with a power to revive the dead into the form of its soul. But in a deeper level, when the individual’s soul is filled with revulsion for something or somebody, the abyss ball resurrects the individual into the image of this hateful monster found in his soul. Btw she/he also was able to predict the death of cha min by foreshadowing on how Se Yeon keeps on saying "Do you have a death wish?" to cha min lol. I bet that woman was revived from the looks of his husband she hated him maybe..

Thanks for the great interpretation and it really sounds interesting. But what happened to Cha Min,  I don't think he know the guy he revived into? correct me if I'm wrong :D

The concept and idea is good but there are so many plotholes. It is not very good writing. For such a anticipated show, I was expecting better writing. There is also very less focus on romance which would have been fine if it was really plot driven drama but it's not. 2-3 rating such a long anticipated show is really really low even if it's not cable. There are so many TVN dramas which have crossed 10 in last 2-3 years.

10 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

(This reminded me of poor Dong Cheol. He clearly saw a dead CM, but now alive again. I would put up a cross and faint too LOL.)

:lol::lol::lol:

11 hours ago, kboramint said:

I thought she was using a new phone that Min's mother's staff gave her. The scene made no sense. How did YC know it was her to respond? This girl is so desperate to stay safe that she's lying about being pregnant to a very wealthy and powerful family but she doesn't have the self-preservation to not meet up with a complete stranger in the middle of the night in a secluded area knowing that Young Chul is out there. Even in normal circumstances and not hiding from an abusive serial killer, any woman would say no way to meeting in those circumstances. I also don't understand why she didn't just lie about who SY is.  Not like YC would know any different.:rolleyes:

That's the thing that bugs me about the writing. I wouldn't mind so much if Yong Chul outsmarted everyone just because he is so intelligent.  The problem is that Young Chul isn't especially intelligent but the writer often has the other characters do stupid things for plot convenience to give YC the upper hand. 

8 hours ago, jasminssiii said:

This is so interesting and a great interpretation but, to be honest,  I don't trust this writer to think of anything that deep.:lol:

3 hours ago, cantera said:

The concept and idea is good but there are so many plotholes. It is not very good writing. For such a anticipated show, I was expecting better writing. There is also very less focus on romance which would have been fine if it was really plot driven drama but it's not. 2-3 rating such a long anticipated show is really really low even if it's not cable. There are so many TVN dramas which have crossed 10 in last 2-3 years.

Pretty sure everyone agrees that the writing is the weakest part of the drama and doesn't do the concept or the actors the justice they deserve.  In the hands of a better writer this drama has all the ingredients to be a huge hit.  The idea is a very good one but tvN should have either told the writer to scrap the serial killer sub-plot because that aspect of the story is clearly not his strength or had an experienced writer work on this. Still, we are enjoying the drama despite some of the issues and we can hope they have taken note of feedback and try to remedy some of the critiques of the drama.

Regarding the ratings, the only dramas that have broken 10% for tvN in this timeslot are 100 Days My Prince and The Crowned Clown.  So far the ratings for Abyss aren't amazing but they aren't bad for a Mon-Tues cable drama especially considering the poor reviews of the past episodes.

20 hours ago, greezlybee said:

I’m so confused with the real identity of prosecutor Seo¿?¿ Let’s say that him turning in YC is to cover up himself, commanded by his foster father (the head prosecutor i think) so his foster father must know something right? But what is Seo’s motives? Judging from his childhood, surely Seo hated YC for abusing him so why work with him? I thought YC being locked up in jail will reduce the questions but I am soooo wrong.

14 hours ago, turtlegirl said:

- Shady Seo....definitely working with YC now we know also his son...it also *appears* he was the 2nd person present at SY's murder (and I feel like the one who actually did the killing but we'll see)...I don't get his motives for helping YC, though, it seems YC trained him to be a fighter from a young age. From what we know, he hasn't been present at any of the other murders besides SY (if indeed it was him there), so it's not like he's just pure evil like dear old dad. Hmmmm. 

Seo's motives are still a mystery to me too. I agree that based on his flashbacks as a child with YC, he wouldn't be fond of YC so why help him? I am wondering if it's possible that he is helping YC only to conceal the truth that he is YC's biological son. Maybe he doesn't want to be linked to a serial murderer for a father and that's why he's been preventing SY/detectives from breaking the cold cases. I don't know...just a thought.

6 hours ago, raziela said:

Pretty sure everyone agrees that the writing is the weakest part of the drama and doesn't do the concept or the actors the justice they deserve.  In the hands of a better writer this drama has all the ingredients to be a huge hit.  The idea is a very good one but tvN should have either told the writer to scrap the serial killer sub-plot because that aspect of the story is clearly not his strength or had an experienced writer work on this. Still, we are enjoying the drama despite some of the issues and we can hope they have taken note of feedback and try to remedy some of the critiques of the drama.

Regarding the ratings, the only dramas that have broken 10% for tvN in this timeslot are 100 Days My Prince and The Crowned Clown.  So far the ratings for Abyss aren't amazing but they aren't bad for a Mon-Tues cable drama especially considering the poor reviews of the past episodes.

Sometimes I just have this urge to talk to the writer and scold her for what she's doing lol.

8 hours ago, raziela said:

:lol::lol::lol:

I thought she was using a new phone that Min's mother's staff gave her. The scene made no sense. How did YC know it was her to respond? This girl is so desperate to stay safe that she's lying about being pregnant to a very wealthy and powerful family but she doesn't have the self-preservation to not meet up with a complete stranger in the middle of the night in a secluded area knowing that Young Chul is out there. Even in normal circumstances and not hiding from an abusive serial killer, any woman would say no way to meeting in those circumstances. I also don't understand why she didn't just lie about who SY is.  Not like YC would know any different.:rolleyes:

That's the thing that bugs me about the writing. I wouldn't mind so much if Yong Chul outsmarted everyone just because he is so intelligent.  The problem is that Young Chul isn't especially intelligent but the writer often has the other characters do stupid things for plot convenience to give YC the upper hand. 

This is so interesting and a great interpretation but, to be honest,  I don't trust this writer to think of anything that deep.:lol:

Abyss is still somewhat interesting and actors have done a good job. It would be unfair to compare this to Crowned Clown. I think we knew what we were getting after 2-3 episodes for abyss.  And ratings would have been worse if Park Boyoung was not acting. But there's good chance it can still finish strong as long as there's not too much focus on crime. The plot is not just good enough to focus a lot on serial killing. Of course I don't expect some real stud plot like secret forest but even above average plot combined with fantasy setting along with such awesome cast would have made it a successful show if not a great one.

10 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

Seo's motives are still a mystery to me too. I agree that based on his flashbacks as a child with YC, he wouldn't be fond of YC so why help him? I am wondering if it's possible that he is helping YC only to conceal the truth that he is YC's biological son. Maybe he doesn't want to be linked to a serial murderer for a father and that's why he's been preventing SY/detectives from breaking the cold cases. I don't know...just a thought.

I just finished episode 6 and man! Soo upset at Ji Wook. He's a bad guy, too! He's a copycat.

My guess is when his father beat up him as a child and said those words to him like "you already lost." It was something he kept all along and will get back at the father. That's why he became a quiet killer like the father, just to pin things up against the father and repeat the exact words back.

So here is another of my guess on how Seo and OYC works together. Seo kills the people who has a hate towards OYC, then send them to the hospital for OYC to patch them up as if OYC was trying to be a miracle doctor to save them, but lets them die instead. This was a way for Seo to get OYC to trust him, but honestly he was just waiting to turn the tables around.

Now OYC was using HeeJin to get back at Seo. So it's like father and son battling to see who wins at this stupid game. Just a guess from finishing episode 6.

Archived