[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

7 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

Wow! That answers my question then. Guess I wasnt too curious on how street lamps work. :sweat_smile: sorry for being naive.

That's ok.  My late stepfather was into a lot of tech early on (he was an engineer) so he used to explain that sort of stuff (like street lights) to me when I was a kid.  And he never threw anything out so, I recall finding really really old timers (like with a clock on them) when I was clearing out his workshop.  Also I remember my mother telling me about how she set lawn sprinklers on timers on her job back in the 1960's.  

Cuba was really stuck back in the 1950's tech-wise until recently, so it's reasonable to assume that they would have been able to use timers to set garden lights.  They wouldn't have done it electronically or wirelessly but it could easily be done with wires electrically.

I've thought a lot about that garden.  And I keep remembering something the old garden guy said to JH:  that love began in the garden  But I wonder if I'm remembering wrong that he said "began and ended"  That would be kinda worrying.  Hope I'm wrong.  I really should go re-watch that bit.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, ihyw said:

I'm also hoping SH's dad doesn't cave and ally his political party to T. Group out of his fear for his daughter.  I hope he'll trust her to endure and take charge of her life. 

Correct me if I'm wrong. But what I got is that it was Cha Soo Hyun's Dad who got Mr. Nam out of jail----for an article he wrote which was perceived as offensive----because of his hunger strike? 

He loves politics but he's not power hungry and greedy to have an upgraded socio-economic status like Cha Soo Hyun's Omma. In fact, he doesn't like honorifics between him and Mr. Nam and has no qualms spending time with long-time friends pre-political career.

Cha Soo Hyun took after him in disposition---Thank God for that! The thought of Cha Soo Hyun taking after her Mom....shudders! That is why CSH's ex-MIL 's animosity for the two led her to say..."Like father, like daughter."

I have a strong gut feeling that just as her daughter made a big sacrifice to advance her father's political career, her father will reciprocate that sacrifice to allow Cha Soo Hyun to protect her love for Kim Jin Hyuk to the very end.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, thistle said:

I've thought a lot about that garden.  And I keep remembering something the old garden guy said to JH:  that love began in the garden  But I wonder if I'm remembering wrong that he said "began and ended"  That would be kinda worrying.  Hope I'm wrong.  I really should go re-watch that bit. 

Glad I'm not the only one worried about that.  Recently I decided that he was talking about his own love story, which has been "ended" since his wife died.  I'm choosing to believe that it's a positive foreshadowing that JinHyuk and SooHyun are going to be in it for the long haul. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, stardustvoid said:

@thistle He said the love began and completed there

I still think it alludes to the possible ending of the drama. Maybe through the power struggle with TG they end up back in Havana running the hotel?

Ooooh, that word completed.  Oh my goodness.  I hope it means completed in a good way.  It would really be kinda perfect if they did finish up running that hotel in Cuba so they could leave the troubles in Seoul behind.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I absolutely know almost nothing about how electronics work. I suck at those :crazy: So sprinklers who have timers are actually very ingenious!

Cuba had an issue with USA. Notice their cars are still old school? I think USA stopped any exports to cuba. However, one YT blogger showed the inside of the hood of a cuban car. And they were updated. They smuggle the parts and put it in an old school car.

12 minutes ago, thistle said:

edit about the ended part.

I could have sworn I heard “ended” or maybe read “ended”. 

That garden was vast though. Almost like an Eden

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

I absolutely know almost nothing about how electronics work. I suck at those :crazy: So sprinklers who have timers are actually very ingenious!

Cuba had an issue with USA. Notice their cars are still old school? I think USA stopped any exports to cuba. However, one YT blogger showed the inside of the hood of a cuban car. And they were updated. They smuggle the parts and put it in an old school car.

Im not sure about the ended part. I just imagined maybe his wife died while tending the garden and thats why it ended there. This could be a different love story altogether. Or maybe love lost? That garden was vast though. Almost like an Eden

One of my neighbors has a sprinkler timer, and she lets it run all year long no matter whether her lawn needs it or not.  It makes me absolutely crazy watching her sprinkler going off in the rain.  :P

Love the old 1950's cars in Cuba.  And I love how clever they were in keeping them running all this time.....which just makes me think we should have all done better with our own cars instead of just replacing them!

I was really surprised in the first episode when JH just walked through that house and into the garden.  The old garden guy didn't even seem upset about it.  Maybe he sense that there was someone who would help to tend that Eden in the future.

I'm betting that the importance of that garden will grow (pun not exactly intended but not sorry about it either) in the future of the story.

.....editing to say that I stink at electronic stuff, too, and I was a great disappointment to my stepfather in that regard.  ;)

• Like 6

13 hours ago, yonaomi123 said:

That line SooHyun spoke to JinHyuk about “the words spoken are so sharp, the wound may never heal” that felt real.

13 hours ago, yonaomi123 said:

All of the above x10000%!!.  When I was rewatching during the hiatus, I kept thinking to myself “Song HyeKyo and BoGum really had something they wanted to say to people.”

@yonaomi123     Thanks !

And yes yes yes !!! exactly !! I felt some "messages" in each episode , not only about Love and some other values (the whole story is already a huge message) but also about the actors themselves because like you said they're famous and that can be such a burden ! yes even them can suffer...i feel they both experimented that .

I felt that so much in that line "the words spoken are so sharp..." i think that both were saying that they're aware of people judging and badmouthing , they can't avoid that, but that hurts. KJH was saying that they're not many compared to millions : that's true ! and that's so mature !

I couldn't stop thinking about that when i heard about some fans bashing on her (like KJH and CSH both experiment in the story).   And that line was in the episode before the kissing...as if they we saying that they know about the fuss but they're going to it no matter what. 

Some other "real" lines are more funny (cause bold), and i felt that they're defending Art, their freedom, simplicity, a certain sense of humor, and much more....This drama is already very deep but it goes really far when you pay attention to those parallels...Their pairing have to go through storms in the story as among viewers...they're aware of possible collateral damages but that's not what stops them, thanks God ! i'm optimistic about the happy ending. :wub:

Edited by waaw
complete
  • Like 13

@thistle

talk about wasting water then. :sweat_smile:

Dont be fooled. Those Cuban cars might look old but you’ll be surprised when you pop the hood.

The garden might have been an open gate to everyone who wants to enter. The gate wasnt even closed. So it might not be the owner’s first time having surprise guests passing through. The garden was beautiful, after all.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, africandramalover said:

.... and I think that CSH will buy the playground that KJH played at. She must have already signed for the transfer by now. Perfect I LOVE YOU present.

Whoa! Thought of the very same thing! This drama drops hints that would actually take place in succeeding episodes and this entered my mind! Since several guessed correctly about CSH doing KJH's tie, then this is very likely to happen, right? After all, JH got back the Cuban Hotel Deal for Donghwa...what is a piece of playground property?

Will get back to you when this finally happens! :D

More predictions, chingus?

P.S. This thread is hot once again and it's 8:30 am KST!:D

• Like 14
  • LOL 5

18 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

@thistle

talk about wasting water then. :sweat_smile:

Dont be fooled. Those Cuban cars might look old but you’ll be surprised when you pop the hood.

The garden might have been an open gate to everyone who wants to enter. The gate wasnt even closed. So it might not be the owner’s first time having surprise guests passing through. The garden was beautiful, after all.

Let's just say that they are Not my favorite neighbors and the water wasting is only one reason.  ;)  There's no point talking sense to them, though.  

I've always wished I could have one of those really old cars.  A souped-up old car would be even better!

Good idea about the garden.  It seemed like JH had to go through the house to get to the garden the first time, though, and that was what seemed strange.  I can imagine inviting folks to go into the garden by way of the yard but through the house.....yeah, I wouldn't like that if it were me.  And I sure would never walk through anyone's house uninvited either.  Maybe JH thought the house wasn't lived in.

• Like 10

12 hours ago, dukesa1122 said:

You are quite right. When I heard both leads accepting the role, I worry that they are taking so much risks. This drama just touches a sensitive topic in our society hence the noise. Moreover, I have never ran into a kdrama who focuses so much on art and poems or even songs. :heart:

@dukesa1122

Yes but they would have never accepted if they didn't find the story beautiful. :heart:

They're aware they're taking risks but i believe they think it's worth (otherwise they wouldn't do), and that shows a lot about who they are in real life (even if they're acting here), the values they defend are so beautiful.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, thistle said:

Timers actually are old school.  They've been around for decades (like think 1950's or 60's).

The garden where he sleeps? There's a scene where JH pushes up the light switch illuminating everything?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, ihyw said:

The garden where he sleeps? There's a scene where JH pushes up the light switch illuminating everything. 

:lol: There goes my theory!  To tell the truth I'm only just now watching the Cuba episode and haven't seen it yet.  Catching up on my watching on a Sunday evening.

At least we all now know about timers.  ;)

• LOL 8

22 minutes ago, thistle said:

Let's just say that they are Not my favorite neighbors and the water wasting is only one reason.  ;)  There's no point talking sense to them, though.  

I've always wished I could have one of those really old cars.  A souped-up old car would be even better!

Good idea about the garden.  It seemed like JH had to go through the house to get to the garden the first time, though, and that was what seemed strange.  I can imagine inviting folks to go into the garden by way of the yard but through the house.....yeah, I wouldn't like that if it were me.  And I sure would never walk through anyone's house uninvited either.  Maybe JH thought the house wasn't lived in.

We all have one or teo of those neighbors. :phew: 

I like the old fords with white tires.. they’re so classy.

I think the garden wrapped the entire house so it can be seen even from afar. It included trees and not just your normal orchid/flowers garden. He could have seen it from the gate.

15 minutes ago, ihyw said:

The garden where he sleeps? There's a scene where JH pushes up the light switch illuminating everything?

Oh there was? I could have missed that. Argh this show is so detailed its making me watch it again. I cant even count how many times i already did and I still missed that part!

@waaw

Spoiler
24 minutes ago, waaw said:

@dukesa1122

Yes but they would have never accepted if they didn't find the story beautiful. :heart:

They're aware they're taking risks but i believe they think it's worth (otherwise they wouldn't do), and that shows a lot about who they are in real life, their values ( that's just me who like to think that).  

Agree. The drama and story line is just so good and refreshing. Both of our leads love art and music, they might have seen the beauty while just reading the script. Plus they know the PD is great with his work. I wasn’t a fan of PBG before but his courage on taking on this role made me adore him. SHK however, I never expected anything less.

• Like 8

He turned the lights on the garden when darkness set in. Maybe thats why Samuel was so early going there , noticed the lights were on, before Jh can even open his eyes or  its just he really stays there everyday 

on a different note...

On every or most night scene on the naebu expressway, the illuminated cross is always on focus. Even on hongjae-dong scenes, there are times it is on focus. And the tea place of ms. Lee is a former church, They can use any other place, but prefer a former church.

Is it for something spiritual or just symbolizes faith... faith between jinsoo,

What's your insights on this?

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

.....I like the old fords with white tires.. they’re so classy.

I think the garden wrapped the entire house so it can be seen even from afar. It included trees and not just your normal orchid/flowers garden. He could have seen it from the gate.

41 minutes ago, ihyw said:

Oh there was? I could have missed that. Argh this show is so detailed its making me watch it again. I cant even count how many times i already did and I still missed that part!.....

Very classy.  I also like the old two-tone paint jobs on some of those old cars.  The nifty tail lights on the back.  The big leather seats.  Amazing.

The light switch thing really made me laugh.  Definitely an easier answer.  :D

But I'm behind in my watching and also in reading all the many posts.  I don't know if someone else has mentioned this but I'm finding it incredibly distracting to see the blurred out Christmas tree with lights blinking behind SH while she and JH are talking in the hotel restaurant in episode 10.  :crazy:  According to the time line, they should be at the beginning of February (they said a month had passed since that New Years Eve date).

My kittens are acting naughty this evening so I have to keep stopping to try to get them to behave, and I've had to rewind that scene over and over and over.  Christmas tree.....Christmas tree.....Christmas tree.....:lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 9

1 hour ago, thistle said:

@thistle: In the Eng subbed episode I watched, the translation of Samuel haraboji's line was: The love began here and was COMPLETED here." (Not ended)

I take it as a happy foreshadowing of the ending.

CANeMKJ.png

When the 2nd Cuban encounter took place in Episode 10, I felt a bit uneasy. I was predicting it was going to be the ending...so I worried about it.

But then I remember and was consoled by what Song Hye Kyo during the presscon..."It's a cute love story." :) How can it have a sad ending then? 

Spoiler

I may not have agreed with her description because it's an understatement...it's a masterful, classic and breathtaking melodrama---I get that SHK was being humble about her assessment----but now I appreciate and thank her for it as it eases my anxious heart!

Protect JinSoo Couple at all cost, dear scriptwriter and PD-nim!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

14 minutes ago, roshzanna said:

On every or most night scene on the naebu expressway, the illuminated cross is always on focus. Even on hongjae-dong scenes, there are times it is on focus. And the tea place of ms. Lee is a former church, They can use any other place, but prefer a former church.

Is it for something spiritual or just symbolizes faith... faith between jinsoo,

What's your insights on this?

Maybe thats where they will end up. To the church.m and wedding bells. Haha!

@thistle

ahhh those onesies leather chairs i just cant help falling in love with :wub:

the light thing cracked me up as well. Good thing @ihyw cleared that up :lol:

Good observation about the christmas tree. Hahaha 

Thinking about it now, so they get to spend Valentines Day? Will we see V-Day date then? *excited*

@rosiepeonie188

haha! Thank you for those images! I dont have to watch it again then. Or maybe I just might, still. Hahaha

@gumtaek

Spoiler

You should have been a mod here. You are capable enough. I love that you know lots of things and is active to outside of this forum as well. You also have the right temperament. Hats off to you, chingu!

And yes SHK is sometimes humble to a fault. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 1