[Drama 2018] Bad Papa, 배드파파 - 2018 Grimae Awards for Best Actor & Best Drama

Prettysup

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Began watching this as I've still haven't watched Jang Hyuk's last two dramas though I have high hopes to do so.

Spoiler

Not liking the wife so far. His daughter is at least respectful to him. I like that she wasn't nasty to her dad about the knock-off backpack. I was surprised she was getting upset with him for NOT borrowing money. The problem was definitely the high cost of living where they do. The importance of money overshadows your reason but I'm glad he found those pills because I believe he would have left that little girl in the bus to burn alive. And here there was no mention of drug experimentations!! Don't care for the boxer at all. Obviously likes the wife.

8 minutes ago, NewKDramaAddict said:

Began watching this as I've still haven't watched Jang Hyuk's last two dramas though I have high hopes to do so.

Hide contents

Not liking the wife so far. His daughter is at least respectful to him. I like that she wasn't nasty to her dad about the knock-off backpack. I was surprised she was getting upset with him for NOT borrowing money. The problem was definitely the high cost of living where they do. The importance of money overshadows your reason but I'm glad he found those pills because I believe he would have left that little girl in the bus to burn alive. And here there was no mention of drug experimentations!! Don't care for the boxer at all. Obviously likes the wife.

Money Flower is highly recommended! 

Hi Everybody

I just ends watching the two episodes. 

OMG.  finally a  good Drama  this year. I don't know how many Drama i have dropped this year. 

First , I have to say that i have the feeling that,  that guy who gave him the pills, it was not casual. 

The relationship with the wife is so sad, and she knows that the two hate each other and is like she don't care. Of course They need the money  and what else she can do. I only hope she doesn't betray him with MW. 

BTW. When his daughter  asked him What he wanted to be, and he answered; I am already your father....it made my day, so cute.

15 hours ago, jongski said:

Gosh so many kdramas  premier to watch  plus another kdrama premiere tomorrow ( the one with SIG). I'll watch those one after the other. Right now I'm excited to watch Bad Papa.  I said I'll wait till episode 2 is sub. But I can't wait anymore. I'm watching episode 1 premiere now. My thoughts once I'm done.  I wanna see that YJC singing that Chuno! :D

Me too i am going to watch SIG and JSM Drama,...i was waiting for these two Drama. I hope Bad papa do well, because is ag ood cast, and JH is one of my favorite actor. 

The whole episode is touching. It's not overly dramatic but it gives off that essence of that story of struggling  ordinary man in his 40s who wants to provide a better life for his wife and daughter but  having all this obstacle and  getting desperate.

YJC in the flashback it said 11 years  ago. I think that was the day he lost and everything went downhill from there. We'll probably see more flashback of that fight.  In present time,  YJC is in desperate need of money for house lease, for medical expense and  just wanting to give as much as he can to his daughter.( aww he's a spoiler, we can tell). JC and SJ having marital problems and money is the main concern.. then probably MW.  So wife asked to divorce already because she's tired. She's been tired for 17 years. I was peeved at her during that scene but in the context I do understand her.  If you noticed in another flashback it was was JC who handed SJ the divorced papers.  For them the solution to their money problem is to just divorce.

Edit: cos I wanted to add... It's true money then infidelity causes  problems for  couples. I felt as though MW has some sort of feelings for SJ I could be wrong though.

I love the scene with YS the daughter. Like said  JC is the type of father who will spoil her even if he doesn't have the money, he'll find a way ( as in buying that pink fake backpack), he checks YS on social media..like leaving comments. He'll probably be a stage dad too. And that hospital scene and when asked what he wants to be. Young Sun's dad. That was good scene.

The scene with the  clinical test... so he wasn't chosen because he had health problems.. but he was given the blue pills by the other guy who was chosen.  Was he hallucinating when he touched that pole and thought he was able to bend it?  I wonder what's in the drug.  I think he feels like if pops in  the drugs, has his this feeling of  power that he can do  something and he's got the strength to do whatever.  Side effects is dangerous.

I'm curious as to the relationship between MW SJ and JC. He doesn't want his wife asking help from MW. I'm wondering if there was also a past between MW and SJ.

I like this  drama looks to be getting even  better and good. We'll see his destruction as he keeps on popping those pills. But the redemption and drama that will ensue especially with his daughter will be the dramatic highlight.

I'm waiting for episode 2 at the moment.  I wanted to do raw recap but maybe I'll leave that to those who knows best. I only understand English.

Hmm obviously you did not see the relationship chart I posted on the first page. MW had been nursing a secret love towards SJ since they were young. So of coz JC won't want SJ to accept help from his rival.

And after seeing JC, I now understand why my husband always buy stuffs for my kids even when I nagged at him not to spoil them. I guess it is the wish of all fathers to be able to provide for their family, for them to get what they want without any monetary concerns.

14 hours ago, AgnesO said:

I know I'll get heartache watching this drama, but I wasn't expecting to cry, but that I did.  I felt my tears roll down during the scene at the hospital when JC and his daughter were having their little conversation.  His combined action of peeling the oranges and talk of what their dreams are just touched me somehow.  

I also did not expect myself to cry, especially not at the first episode. When the wife told him that she made an error 17 years ago, when she first met him. Ahh... I felt so sad for JC, had he really been such a disappointment to his wife?

14 hours ago, AgnesO said:

Yes, you should watch this :thumbsup:.  Though its supposed to be heavy, I like the way they inject humor to some of the scenes, so its actually fun to watch.

The hospital scene which JC could not find YS's legs was hilarious haha... and that was ad-lib by JH himself.

13 hours ago, jongski said:

Yes.  also YD= Yung Dae. it's Lee David's character. I also like.. it's the one who recognized him as the former fighter. He's probably going to recruit him.  I can already feel dramatic highlights will be scenes of him boxing and his scenes with his daughter. And if something where to happen to his daughter (caused by Chan Joong? = Ji Bin's character) he's gonna lose it.  YS wants to be ballerina.. maybe in future episode, we'll see him attend recital or something...

But another thing I'm curious was he boxer first before becoming a detective? I watch raw but can't understand?

Yes he was a boxer when he first met his wife, but after suffering a defeat by MW, he was banned from boxing permanently, so he became a detective.

3 hours ago, camichi said:

Hi Everybody

I just ends watching the two episodes. 

OMG.  finally a  good Drama  this year. I don't know how many Drama i have dropped this year. 

First , I have to say that i have the feeling that,  that guy who gave him the pills, it was not casual. 

The relationship with the wife is so sad, and she knows that the two hate each other and is like she don't care. Of course They need the money  and what else she can do. I only hope she doesn't betray him with MW. 

BTW. When his daughter  asked him What he wanted to be, and he answered; I am already your father....it made my day, so cute.

He considers being a daddy his job, and it is kind of sad actually he has no more dreams or aspirations now then he becomes a dad. JH did mention in an earlier interview that this drama will also explore about parents giving up their dreams after they start a family.

1 hour ago, jongski said:

Still watching Ep 2 sub. Not even finished yet and I'm already hating the wife. I don't like her!

At this point I ship YD and JC :P:D

My thoughts when I'm done.

Who is YD? 

Im Clearing my work before I can watch 3 and 4 with subs :( 

9 hours ago, Prettysup said:

I also did not expect myself to cry, especially not at the first episode. When the wife told him that she made an error 17 years ago, when she first met him. Ahh... I felt so sad for JC, had he really been such a disappointment to his wife?

1 hour ago, jongski said:

Still watching Ep 2 sub. Not even finished yet and I'm already hating the wife. I don't like her!

I guess reality and burden/stress takes over love.  I don't like what the wife said to JC, but I can understand from the wife's perspective.  Moreover, I suspect there's something going on at the match 11 years ago which caused the downfall of JC, which I think the wife or even JC may not be even aware of.  I hope his wife is just stressed out by the demands of life.  I hope to see her giving more love and support to JC as the episodes goes and when she sees the sacrifices JC is making to provide for the family.  

Hi everyone! Yesterday I finally watched ep 1-2 with subs because I was curious, unlike with JH's previous drama Wok of love (which gave me the feeling he won't have a big part as in his previous works).

I always expect a lot from JH's works because he tends to choose the projects carefully. I noticed that he often picks melos about greed and money, and this one is no less. Basically his character could be anyone's dad, brother, friend, because it's hard to have a stable job nowadays. Yoo Ji Cheol seems like the type who was destined to be a star, so he's out of his character when he is a detective, this is why he probably doesn't do his job by the book. This is interesting because it's something that everyone who has a dream that gets crushed can get through, and everyone needs to do something in order to survive. We all know that he'll be lured into the world of MMA by the illegal fights, and also because he needs the money and he likes the money. The scene at the end of Ep. 2 when he watches the money fly over his head was a good methapor of his character who is trying hard to reach for the fame. They still didn't show what exactly happened that made him lose his job as a pro-fighter, but they'll probably do it soon.

I like the chemistry between Ji Cheol and his wife and daughter, because you can see there's tension between them but also affection that doesn't make either let go of the other despite the problems they're drowning in. Or at least so far, it all could change for Sun Joo after she met the handsome Min Woo who is not only rich and famous, because it's evident that he feels something towards her. But I don't think she'll run into his arms despite his wealth, because I believe she still loves Ji Cheol despite his flaws (and the fact that they probably haven't had any sexual contact like the person commented under her story XD). Young Sun could also come to despise her father for the same reason. The lack of money. And maybe Min Woo could try to help Sun Joo even through Young Sun, seeing that the girl feels helpless because she doesn't get what her friends get. It wouldn't be weird if Min Woo tries to get linked to Sun Joo and with her daughter in order to "get" her this time, because he may take the chance since she has problems with her husband.

Another interesting point is the secret medicine. The rich guy may be megalomaniacal, seeing he's very young and so, so, powerful. He does not only have the money, but seems to also have a smart brain. Who knows what he wants to achieve. But you can tell he's still a kid. I wonder if when Ji Cheol was a pro-fighter he was in touch with the guy's now-dead father who also developed medicine. Because he often takes some pills, and then he gets dizzy even before he takes the first blue pill (in Ep. 1 when he's eating breakfast and then goes to the doctor). We still don't know if the blue pills cause the super strenght or not, or if Ji Cheol was subjected to medical testing back in the day he was famous but then discarded using a scandal as a cover up.

I'll watch Ep. 3-4 later, maybe something will be clearer.

So I'm done with Ep 2. Now we're getting hints through MW JC scenes what  probably happened 11 years ago. Maybe I'm wrong in understanding so correct me,  could be that JC  purposely tried to to lose the match and let MW win. Could have thrown the match away.  From the conversation JC was the best MW won and did not like how he won and wanted to challenge and fight  JC to prove that he can win against him. JC will win against him. I want him too. Without the use of the pills.. which still being tested.

On that part of the scenes we know the one conducting the test for the new drug is the Nobel prize winner( Ep1 flashback) but under the whim of CJ (Park Ji Bin's character).  The SF3 drug ( the blue pill)  is to help save patient with neuromyopathic disease ( whatever that is)  then.   they tried to test that to see if it could break down toxins but he test conducted ( to the guy who gave the blue pills) show high virulence factor  but the assistant said the test subject did not show any sign of abnormality and will be strange if he can't move so all the more to proceed testing of breaking down the toxins using the drug but the doc explain what if toxins aren't being broken down but just taking time to appear then the subject's muscled will be damage, respiratory will be paralyzed.. and he will die.

I seriously did not understand but my pea brain says  I think they were testing the toxicity of the drugs to patients to see if muscular disease can be save by this drugs  with breaking the down the toxins inside  the body.  JC had no tolerance  for the drug's toxicity level but if that were the case with all the hits to the body and the face all those years,  JC's body will go weak. Is the drug to save him or......

As for the JC he tested the drug again. Swallowed the pill. It allowed him to have some kind of  muscle strength but only for few mins. But because he knew he can get that strength, he used it to his advantage. During the gambling match, he drank water from the stainless flask and we can hear several pills in there as he chug on the water. Every time he takes the drug it pumps. Maybe his heart.  All it took was one punch to knock out the opponent. So his strength is too much. Bu there's a side effect... as it will weaken him and his muscle in the long run. Yeah I still have no idea what I'm blabbing but the long short if the drug is testing phase mode and once CJ knows  the effect, he will do something not so good.

Totally did not understood about the drug but you get the drift, right. Heck, I tried. :D

@kohnlee YD is the "young punk"  that's what he called him. It's Kim Yong Dae-( Lee David's character)  of YD promotions - like small time underground biz he operates- I guess they only do those illegal gambling match. The one whom he went to and meet, who was with him in the gambling match, who gave him his share and the one

who introduced JC the the big time promoter.

@purplebass Happy to see you hear. I read your post. Thanks.  I wonder if his wife also has feelings for  Min Woo. Well she did say she's been tired for 17 years being with him. Plus she knew him before Ji Cheol it's that thing that  Min Woo gloats to Ji Cheol.

I’m done and I love the action scenes includin those bloody boxing scenes haha!

Yes, we are getting more hints from this episode.11 years ago, JC lost to MW. And it was later believed that he took bribes that’s why MW felt that he had to challenge him again in a proper fight.

Remember in episode 1, JC met a Friend? The one driving a white car that knocked him over? JC blamed him for causing him to lose everything. I suspect it has to do with that match 11 years ago. JC might have trusted this Friend to do something and things obviously didn’t turn out well. We should know more in upcoming episodes. 

Whenever JC speaks to his Wife, I can feel myself frowning, feeling really depressed. 

The last scene where YD brought him to see that man who offered him to play in 7 matches. I remember the synopsis, it says JC will start to mix MMA with martial arts? If yes, he is going to accept the offer and this will be his new way of boxing. And knowing that Jang Hyuk learns jeet Kun do, this could be jC’s way of winning without much physical strength since he kept saying he is an old dog now.

And no preview!!

oh and did I mention how I love the way they inject humour into this very serious drama hahaha! This scene, I kept laughing away! JC tried so hard to prove that he is himself wahahaha!

That bridge scene when JC  was drunk. That famous bridge I always see almost every dramas I watch. I call  that's the bridge of depression, of suicide, of contemplating. 

44 minutes ago, kohnlee said:

Whenever JC speaks to his Wife, I can feel myself frowning, feeling really depressed. 

I feel JC depression, desperation, and wanting to have money. Money or lack thereof is the source of their argument. Money which drove the wife to agree to write the autobiography of MW even though.. she's really not that great of a writer I think.

It's like SJ trying to make and feel JC worthless as he cannot provide money.  that JC cannot even provide so she will be the one to do something about their financial problems. She always blames JC  not being able to provide for daughter's schooling and hiring tutors.

I don't like that she's blaming JC. She doesn't even know the things he's doing just to  get that money.  I think it's what making me dislike the wife. JC is not a bad husband and certainly not a bad father but she's making it out like... what have you ever done to me and to our daughter.

Okay, I have a few minutes to give my thoughts.

I was thinking the fight in Japan was going to be the end of JC's boxing career, but it was actually a fight with MW and afterward JC was banned and MW thinks he lost on purpose. There was a shady looking fellow at the Japan match that I'm guessing plays into things. MW might be a bit nostalgic about SJ but he's also using her to get to JC. Interesting. I assume this will all build to an ultimate showdown in the ring between MW and JC.

I don't particularly like SJ, but if JC kept promising to take care of things and then not coming through, I can understand why she'd become resentful. The scene of her working two jobs and then coming home to a messy house was something I could empathize with. That doesn't mean I like how she expresses her feelings to JC. I didn't like that she went to dinner with MW, but I hated that she badmouthed JC to him. 

Archived