[Drama 2018] Bad Papa, 배드파파 - 2018 Grimae Awards for Best Actor & Best Drama

Prettysup

6 hours ago, jongski said:

That bridge scene when JC  was drunk. That famous bridge I always see almost every dramas I watch. I call  that's the bridge of depression, of suicide, of contemplating. 

I feel JC depression, desperation, and wanting to have money. Money or lack thereof is the source of their argument. Money which drove the wife to agree to write the autobiography of MW even though.. she's really not that great of a writer I think.

It's like SJ trying to make and feel JC worthless as he cannot provide money.  that JC cannot even provide so she will be the one to do something about their financial problems. She always blames JC  not being able to provide for daughter's schooling and hiring tutors.

I don't like that she's blaming JC. She doesn't even know the things he's doing just to  get that money.  I think it's what making me dislike the wife. JC is not a bad husband and certainly not a bad father but she's making it out like... what have you ever done to me and to our daughter.

To be fair, SJ did blamed herself too, she said that both of them have to be blamed as parents. And even though we know JC is trying hard to get money outside, I can feel SJ's agony when she returned home after a hard day outside to see the house in a mess. I mean, the daughter is in hospital, at least JC could have washed the clothes and dishes rather than leaving everything to her? And not talking about the 2 pots/pans which he destroyed with his powers, I am still waiting to see SJ's reaction to those and the agonizing over the money to replace them.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, purplebass said:

Another interesting point is the secret medicine. The rich guy may be megalomaniacal, seeing he's very young and so, so, powerful. He does not only have the money, but seems to also have a smart brain. Who knows what he wants to achieve. But you can tell he's still a kid. I wonder if when Ji Cheol was a pro-fighter he was in touch with the guy's now-dead father who also developed medicine. Because he often takes some pills, and then he gets dizzy even before he takes the first blue pill (in Ep. 1 when he's eating breakfast and then goes to the doctor). We still don't know if the blue pills cause the super strenght or not, or if Ji Cheol was subjected to medical testing back in the day he was famous but then discarded using a scandal as a cover up.

I'll watch Ep. 3-4 later, maybe something will be clearer.

I think JC has some existing medical condition which caused him to faint in the first episode that prompted him to see the doctor for a check-up. Maybe that was what caused him to lose to MW 11 years ago (and got him expelled after being suspected of match-fixing).

And about the 'pills' he was seen taking (not the blue ones), I think it was some candies that people take to quit smoking. You see he always have an un-lit cigarette behind his ear.

50 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

I think JC has some existing medical condition which caused him to faint in the first episode that prompted him to see the doctor for a check-up. Maybe that was what caused him to lose to MW 11 years ago (and got him expelled after being suspected of match-fixing).

And about the 'pills' he was seen taking (not the blue ones), I think it was some candies that people take to quit smoking. You see he always have an un-lit cigarette behind his ear.

Good observation on candies that help quit smoking and an un-lit cigarette!

i can empathise with both JC and SJ. No one is at fault and both is to be blame. 

SJ works non stop to try to provide for the family. She comes home to a messy house, of course she will feel helpless and desperate. And yes @qynn I don’t think she should badmouth her Husband too. 

JC continue to ‘goes to work’ (not sure if Wife knows he lost his job). He was also out whole day trying to look for money and job. He comes home dejected and tired and to know that his Wife went to borrow money from his rival, of course his pride is hurt. And he did return the money to MW, Wife may not know. 

I cannot understand why Wife don’t want JC to know that she is still writing?? She quickly hides her stuff when she hears him coming back home. 

And now comes ones an irresistible carrot and he needs to buy that house otherwise they will be homeless. 

JC has no other choice. He has to take on the offer.

I liked first two episodes. I really liked them. It was not flawless but honestly I've never watched any flawless K-drama.

I loved the injection of humour in sad situations. It has comedy, action, tragedy (upcoming) and JH. It suits my taste.:)

As for wife, I don't dislike her. We are yet to see the backstory of this family. But for now her anger is understandable. Apart from the money related troubles there are other issues too. YJC seems to have the knack of making promises that he never fulfils. He had no qualms about lying to his daughter even though his main motive was to make her happy. He is temperamental. He can raise a  ruckus at most inappropriate circumstances. The wife has stopped trusting her husband even though I feel she still cares about him. I think he (probably unknowingly) severely hurted her in past.

Both of them are not very good parents. Their daughter has just pushed her classmate down the stairs(though unknowingly) they should atleast reprimand her for loosing her cool.

YJC is a pathetic(and hillarious) little fool though he is well meant. He wants to do one thing right but he ends up doing ten things wrong. His quest for restoring his pride will surely bring him awful predicaments. But I like YJC for all of his shortcomings. Hyukie always plays flawed characters. YJC could not be an exception.

As for ratings the odds against this show are as much as odds against YJC in the drama. It is on MBC. Another networks dramas were already doing well in same time slots. It's predecessor's ratings were at the bottom of the barrel. It has new PD and writer. It has good actors but only one 'star'.etc

I'm even not sure if Korean viewers like this type of  dramas. Whatever I'll be glad if it's neck and neck with it's competitors in upcoming weeks.

Just started this drama recently and liked the premise of the troubled family. I do like the variety of discussions so far and thought I'd just add on because I disagree with placing the fault only on SJ.

13 hours ago, jongski said:

Money or lack thereof is the source of their argument. Money which drove the wife to agree to write the autobiography of MW even though.. she's really not that great of a writer I think.

Now this is just sour grapes just because she agreed to get the money from MW instead of JC (which wasn't even guaranteed he could get the money). You could do better than that.

Sure money isn't everything, but you definitely need it to survive. Especially when it's things like the rent, it's making sure they have a shelter over their head - a basic need I would say. And for all the other household expenses, and for Young-sun's expenses...I can see why she would be desperate and grab the best offer that comes along.

That's not to say I fully agree with her decision. Knowing the rifts between JC and MW, perhaps she could have communicated and talked it out with JC better.

It's like SJ trying to make and feel JC worthless as he cannot provide money.  that JC cannot even provide so she will be the one to do something about their financial problems. She always blames JC  not being able to provide for daughter's schooling and hiring tutors.

"worthless as he cannot provide money" It's even more than that. Notice what she's doing when they're arguing. Gathering their clothes to wash. Tending around the house. And what is he doing? "Informing" her that Young-sun' s lightbulb is spoilt. He couldn't take, say 15 minutes, to change her lightbulb when he's unemployed? While SJ just came back from a long day at work and immediately starts on the household chores.

I feel that it's perfectly alright if he can't provide money for the family. There are other ways to contribute - sharing the household chores, simple changing of a lightbulb for example. But he couldn't even do that. SJ's flashback scenes to coming home to a mountain of dirty dishes and dirty clothes strewn all over the place after a long tiring day of manual work really resonated. It's really hard to not think he's worthless when she's totally frustrated and helpless that it's true that she has to do almost everything.

This is what bugs me the most. He's not just "worthless as he cannot provide money", he has the chance to provide in other smaller, simpler ways but he has not.

Also "always blames"? EP02 was the first time she mentioned about getting tutors for YS and sending her for trips...getting ahead of ourselves here. SJ may be very harsh and cold to JC but with years and years of pent-up frustration with him, it's not hard to see why.

I don't like that she's blaming JC. She doesn't even know the things he's doing just to  get that money.  I think it's what making me dislike the wife. JC is not a bad husband and certainly not a bad father but she's making it out like... what have you ever done to me and to our daughter.

There, you said it yourself. "She doesn't even know", so how do you even expect her to react the way you want? We are seeing both sides now, more of JC actually, whereas she doesn't know of what he's doing to raise the money. Communication may be the key. He has good intentions but he doesn't express it well. Whereas she can be more receptive to him.

SJ is flawed but so is JC. Blatantly putting him on a pedestal while not being able to see things from her perspective isn't very fair. Both are flawed as parents and spouses. JC needs to contribute more substantially to the family. Fewer empty promises, more actual efforts. SJ can work on communication. She can be more sensitive and receptive to JC and YS. (And maybe hang out less with MW, that scene where he's with the actress saying his target is JC makes it seem like he's just going to make use of SJ...)

Heartening to see that however most of the posters here acknowledge that both are flawed and have much to improve. What I'd really like is for the drama to show their growth and how they gradually repair their strained ties as a family. Fingers crossed that the show will be able to develop it well, because right now I do like how close to real life their situation is.

K-Drama Premiere: “Bad Papa” Impresses With Good Dose Of Reality & Supernatural 

A FATHER’S QUEST TO REDEEM AND OVERCOME ADVERSITIES FOR HIS FAMILY’S WELFARE SPINS THE STORY OF MBC’S LATEST OFFERING, BAD PAPA.

The series, top-billed by Jang Hyuk, explores the personal and professional struggles of a middle-aged former boxing champion Yoo Ji Cheol after his fall from grace.

Labeled as “Korea’s pride and people’s hero” in his younger years, Ji Cheol’s present situation is far from what it used to be. From problems he encounters as a police detective, and his domestic and marital issues; to the things he does to ensure his family’s well-being, the hero’s disheartening battles are all well-acted and depicted in the first two chapters of Bad Papa.

The pilot week served enough drama and conflict to pique viewers’ curiosity.

Premiere Week Rating: 5 stars

BP-Stills-10-e1538572252657.jpg?resize=6

Pilot Week Recap

The drama opens with an overturned bus and injured people in the background. A bloodied Yoo Ji Cheol (Jang Hyuk) is having an internal monologue as he tries to help an unconscious mother and her crying daughter. He attempts, unsuccessfully, to lift the seat that pins the mother’s.

A few days before the bus incident, Detective Ji Cheol is on his way to check on a tip they received regarding a gambling parlor. However, he finds nothing since the culprits are well-hidden in the room. Before he leaves, a Monk handed him a box of energy drinks. He then meets up with his partner, and as he opens the box, he sees a stash of money in it.

Setting the money aside to be returned later, he and his partner Cha Ji Woo go to a hotel to catch the gamblers. However, he had a key to the wrong room that ultimately fails the police operation.

Situation at home is also no better, as his wife informs him that they need money to renew their lease. An argument ensues and his wife hands him a divorce form, saying she has been tired for 17 years.

Ji Cheol placates his wife by promising to work hard so they can fix their money problem, but to no avail. He passes out after his wife left and the doctor advises him to undergo a thorough checkup which could cost 5,000 dollars.

With no money on hand, Ji Cheol leaves but picks up a card thrown by a clinic staff that offers compensation and free medical examination.

He decides to quit the job when Internal affairs discovers the money he inadvertently received, instead of serving a three-month suspension.

Unfortunately, his daughter meets an accident at school. Desperately in need of money to settle his daughter’s hospital bill, he decides to take the clinical trial. At the clinic, Ji Cheol provides a false name and asks questions about the drug and the tests. The doctor answers vaguely, stating that the drug is a multi-functional nutrition supplement.

While waiting at the bus stop, an enthusiastic guy from the clinical trial hands Ji Cheol a bottle of the experimental drug. He blurts out that he was chosen as a test subject.

Ji Cheol accepts grudgingly and takes a pill. He tries to hold on to a pole after experiencing a sudden jolt, and gets surprised seeing the damaged pole.

Back to the first opening scene, Ji Cheol successfully frees the mother from the seat after finding the bottle and consuming a tablet. The bus explodes as he tries to go back in for his money.

As Ji Cheol lays on the ground, people swarm around him, applauding his heroic deed. Yet all he could think about is his dream of being an ordinary father and husband – a man who can provide for his family.

Ji Cheol cleans himself up and contemplates about the mysterious effect of the drugs. He goes to the hospital to visit his daughter, but discovers she is no longer confined. He learns that his wife Seon Joo has taken care of everything.

Ji Cheol asks his wife where she got the money, and becomes angry after learning that it came from his rival Min Woo, who has become a popular mixed martial arts player.

The next morning, Ji Cheol takes another pill to test its effect. He damages the refrigerator’s handle and destroys some kitchen items. To know how long the drug is effective, he seeks out a known bad guy for a brawl.

A battle between him and a gang follows, with Ji Cheol pummeling the entire group. Upon checking his watch, he concludes that his enhanced speed and strength can last for three minutes.

Desperate to pay Min Woo back, Ji Cheol decides to accept an offer to join an underground fight. To conceal his identity, he agrees to fight wearing a mask.

An exhausted Ji Cheol almost lost the fight. But right after he takes a pill, he overturns the result eventually earning the money he needs.

Ji Cheol goes to Min Woo’s office to return his money. The two engage in verbal sparring, with Min Woo goading him to have a fight challenge. Just before the steam escalates, the secretary enters to break the rising tension.

Seon Joo confirms she will be writing Min Woo’s autobiography. Yong Dae taps Ji Cheol, and introduces him to a promoter. The latter offers him a contract to participate in legitimate fights.

Pilot Week Afterthoughts

Solid performances from its cast and the well-established plot are securing the strong return of Jang Hyuk’s latest drama. The struggles of the characters  are close to what ordinary people go through in real life (except the supernatural part) that you get the reasons behind their actions.

The smooth flow of the story has strengthened its appeal, plus the action sequences are not lacking either. Ji Cheol’s love for his family is evident from the start. He will not hesitate to do whatever it takes to provide for them.

There are enough sweet, tender moments between him and his daughter that you almost forgot they argued over something mundane.

As expected of Jang Hyuk, he was able to give justice to his character and effectively showcase his acting prowess. I love the way how Ji Cheol’s past is introduced in small increments, because it makes room for the character’s development.

Something serious must have happened in the past between Ji Cheol and Min Woo, causing them to act differently towards each other. Finding out the origin of the bad blood between them definitely makes watching the drama worthwhile.

The presence of a mysterious drug and unraveling its effects is also adding more meat to the story.

Viewers can look forward to Ji Cheol’s journey to achieve redemption, along with discovering more about the actions each character takes to resolve his personal battles.

If the drama maintains this kind of pace and keeps the balance between its realistic aspects alongside its fantasy-thriller theme, then it will definitely be worth a good watch.

There are plenty of things to figure out, with a lot of characters in need of recognition, still I couldn’t be more excited to see how the story unfolds.

Catch Bad Papa as it airs on MBC every Monday and Tuesday.

BP-Stills-2-e1538570047806.png?resize=60

https://hellokpop.com/tv-movies/k-drama-premiere-bad-papa/

"Bad Papa" production company representative Kwon Yong Han "admiration for Jang Hyuk's work enthusiasm" 

0000432152_001_20181004081221999.jpg?type=w430_q70

Bad Papa, which started broadcasting on the last day, is a work that was produced in Hoji Entertainment, Kwon Yong-han is the person who leads the entertainment company. 

Bad Papa is the story of a man who has decided to become a bad man to become a good father. In past Jang Hyuk was the most lauded boxer, but after a despisable incident he is trying to be a good father. Kwon Yong-han explained about Jang Hyuk's casting, "When I talked with a lot of people including writer, I thought that Janghyuk would be the best choice for Yoo Chul-cheol."

Kwon Yong-Han continued to praise Jang Hyuk's passion for acting. He said, "I went to the first meeting with Janghyuk with a light mind, but ended up with five hours of storytelling. Jang Hyuk really seems to match the expression and swallow the script. He was passionate about telling what he felt from his own ideas and positions. It is charming learning from the standpoint of the creator. I was impressed with his passion for constantly discussing and suggesting his thoughts while shooting. " 

"The first time reading was also impressive beyond surprise. I thought that he was doing his work so hard. Thanks to the work of Jang Hyuk, the main character made such a passionate appearance."

'Bad Papa', which showed its first broadcast received favorable reception. People said that the drama showed a strong development and deep sensitivity. 

Jang Hyuk, as well as Shin eun Soo playing Yoo Young-sun, the daughter of YJC, did a great job. Kwon Yong-han said, "I took all of the auditions and audition for Yoo Eun-soo was the last. She has a strong aura, so I casted her unanimously. She is charismatic and works hard. She felt like a jewel when she entered the audition hall. "

0000432152_002_20181004081222031.jpg?type=w430_q70

Bad Papa is the work of deep emotions with a bloody side but some people were worried that the story of this father running for his family may be untrue. Kwon Yong-han also said, "Although It can look cliched, I think the father's story has many parts that people can sympathize with. I am a father of two daughters and in my 40s, so I am very much empathic. The fathers of this age always sympathise with the idea of the writer of being like the players who are on the fighting ring. I want many fathers to see this drama. I hope there will be such a drama that allows fathers to come to the TV. I want to show the fantasy of the foremost man through Jang Hyuk. In October, there is a new edition of the house theater so that there is a saying 'new work'. What is the strength of Bad Papa in this? Representative Kwon Yong - han said, "There are a lot of popular genres like court and medical drama. Our drama may seem a little cliche, but at this point there seems to be no such drama. I think it might be a new genre though it may not be new when I look at the drama itself. It is a drama suitable for autumn, which is the right time to show loneliness.

Source: https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?aid=0000432152&oid=468&lightVersion=off

Screenshot_2018-10-03-00-04-02.png

Yoo Ji-Cheol (Jang Hyuk) was a decorated boxer, who lost everything while he was at the top of his career. Contrary to the drama title, Ji-Cheol is like any father who would do anything just to provide for his family. The pilot episode gave us a glimpse of Ji-Cheol’s family years after the fall of his boxing career. His relationship with his wife has become strained as they struggle to make ends meet. Jang Hyuk delivered a convincing role of a father who tries to keep it together in front of his wife and daughter, but deep inside, he has been beset with difficulties as the head of the family.
The first episode laid out all the plot points albeit a little disconnected because of the abrupt edits. However, everything came together towards the end when Ji-Cheol become exposed to boxing again at a gambling parlor, and when he decided to participate in an experimental drug trial in exchange for money. When I first read the summary of this drama, I thought that his return to boxing would just be as simple as him being handed a second chance because he WAS good at it. So learning about this experimental drug 
angle really surprised me in a good way. Ji-Cheol actually failed to pass as a test subject because of his health condition, but he was still was able to get hold of the experimental drugs because a participant gave him a bottle. Much to his surprise, the “blue pills” gave him extraordinary strength.
Underground boxing. Experimental drug. Jang Hyuk turning into the "man of steel" (sort of). Now, you have my attention.

Screenshot_2018-10-03-08-53-11.png

The second episode was a lot better in terms of narrative structure as we get a sneak peek of Ji-Cheol’s life during his heyday inside the ring. There was also a hint of a possible game fixing incident that 
might’ve caused the end of Ji-Cheol’s boxing career. Desperate for more cash, he also agreed to try out for an underground boxing match after seeing the effect of the “blue pills.” With the experimental drug and the danger of the sports he got into, the future looks bleak for Ji-Cheol and his family.

With its unique plot and Jang Hyuk’s convincing acting and comedic timing, I’m giving this drama 4 out of 5 stars..

Screenshot_2018-10-03-08-51-39.png

Oh one more thing! Not sure if it's been mentioned but I'm also curious about what happened here, after YS' fall and JC&SJ were in the hospital arguing.

JC: Do you think it's normal to hand over divorce papers because I couldn't find money for the lease? Is that family?

SJ: I'm sorry. Come to think about it, I'm the jerk. It's the worst to run away when there's trouble in the family. But you know what? I learned that from you.

Screenshot_37.jpg

Screenshot_36.jpg

Screenshot_39.jpg

SJ in hospital clothes and JC handing her divorce papers. If say he really abandoned her when she was sick....that would be really terrible :X Her anger and coldness would be more than understandable if that was so.

I'm not in favour of too many recollection scenes (when it stalls the progression of the plot) but I think the time is ripe now for more recollections of what happened between JC SJ and MW back then.

7 hours ago, skypearl said:

SJ is flawed but so is JC. Blatantly putting him on a pedestal while not being able to see things from her perspective isn't very fair. Both are flawed as parents and spouses. JC needs to contribute more substantially to the family. Fewer empty promises, more actual efforts. SJ can work on communication. She can be more sensitive and receptive to JC and YS. (And maybe hang out less with MW, that scene where he's with the actress saying his target is JC makes it seem like he's just going to make use of SJ...)

Agree that both SJ and JC has their flaws and weaknesses, and that's true in real life isn't it?  JC has contributed to the family the best ways he knows how.  Yes, he made promises,  but he has every intention to keep it, and make every efforts to try to fulfill them, though not very successful.  That's what I find him so endearing.  The underdog that keeps trying. 

I watched the first episode again.  This time I don't see so much as SJ blaming JC, but rather a familiarity.  I don't really think SJ want to divorce JC, she's just tired.  Deep down, i feel they still care about each other, they just don't show now, having been married 17 years, and facing financial burdens.  SJ still works hard for her family, and so does JC.  What I see is their mutual efforts to keep the family together in the midst of troubles they're facing.

53 minutes ago, skypearl said:

SJ in hospital clothes and JC handing her divorce papers. If say he really abandoned her when she was sick....that would be really terrible :X Her anger and coldness would be more than understandable if that was so.

I really don't think that's the reason he hands her the divorce paper.  We shall know soon further down the episodes.

3 minutes ago, AgnesO said:

I really don't think that's the reason he hands her the divorce paper.  We shall know soon further down the episodes.

I also think he did not try to abandon his sick wife.

From the eariler preview it looked like their family had an accident. SJ was hospitalized because she was badly injured. I think the flashback belongs to the same time period.

Moreover according to the synopsis their daughter was also hurt/sick so she had to give up her dream of being a ballerina. They didn't have money for treating her.

In the scene where she(daughter) tries to hold the mean girl(after accidently pushing her), her back hurts.

I didn’t know that I would love the boxing scenes so much hahahah! I rewatched the illegal match several times :relieved:

yes @qynn read many good comments about the drama. Some started same time as us and others are catching up because they heard/read good things!

Archived