[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

13 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

That irritated me... Regardless of their reason or good intentions. But then again, it was the custom to marry your child off. 

But Bai Yi allowing FJ to sign the mariage contract when he knew she was drunk? That's low. -_-

Yeah. That was not a smart move. Considering how they of all people should realise a fox love for life. 

Bai Yi was so desperate to help her sort her life out. Wish he actually had a decent conversation, instead of doing what he thinks is right for her. Sadly, Bai Yi represent alot of parents in real life. 

12 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

@ChibiLy The mirth of DH, and the look ZY gave him ^_^

Source: ELOD ep27, YT (screenshots and gif by poster)

That was so funny! DH and his fake face! ZY totally knew and was waiting to see what happens. I think DH and FJ need to thank ZY for all the support they have recieved from him.

11 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

At least Bai Yi taught her something good, his sword skills. And passed her some of his artistic talents.

As a father in some aspects though...sigh, if he must really punish, he could at least do it privately, not with an audience. He was so not attuned to his daughter. It was shameful that Cang'yi was more caring and understanding, even if it is his properties that were destroyed by FJ.

I rather think that the fox den tradition of aunts and uncles raising their nieces and nephews stops (fortunately) with DH and FJ. :)

To be honest, DH is probably the only one who saw FJ's full potential. Everyone else loves her and tries so hard to protect her.

• Love 3

39 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

I think DH and FJ need to thank ZY for all the support they have recieved from him.

He's their first shipper! ^_^

When she left, Zheyan even encouraged her: “You’re so pretty and clever, and even know how to cook. Even if cold Donghua can resist your beauty and kindness, he won’t be able to resist your cooking. Don’t worry about   anything, your uncle Bai Zhen and I will be here to back you up." APB-1, p125

• Love 1

Just wondering... Do you have a favorite quote from the book or drama?

Mine so far (plan to immerse myself in the (annotated) book for a third time when I have a breather) are: 

“So what if Destiny says we're fated, and so what if it says we're not? I've never feared Destiny, and I certainly don't need its charity.” DH

Feng Jiu on Dong Hua's understanding of Buddhist theories (Drama) :

"It's not impossible for those who wield a sword to thoroughly understand the Buddhist theories. Perhaps, only those who are still concerned about all people after having seen the world through, can understand the Buddhist theories so thoroughly." BFJ

• Wiggle 1

This is more of a joke, but sometimes, pets are more preferable to be with than some people. 

A  handsome gentleman was saved by a young lady and a beloved pet. The gentleman fell for the pet, and didn’t fall for the young lady.”  A-PB1, p74

And the yueling flower song:

“ Yueling flower, once a snowflake up high. Plucked down, it withered and died. It lived but a moment, perished in the next. When the moon rose, it missed the flower. When the flower bloomed, it missed the moon. The moon was ignorant of the flower. The flower was ignorant of the moon. Flower lived a fleeting life, flower died a fleeting death .”A-PB2, p66

For me, it means not to waste any chances or reprieves given. Any moment might be the last time. There just might be no time left anymore, except to live with the regrets and memories, and of thoughts of what could have beens.

Nonetheless, the favourite will always be DH taking into his hands his fate, and not leaving his life to the mercies of destiny.

• Love 1

12 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

Just wondering... Do you have a favorite quote from the book or drama

I don’t have any fav quotes from either but I did copy down one line from ELOD.

Concubine Wan: “It’s weird. His majesty is not playful by nature. He couldn’t go out every two or three days no matter how he lives Madam Jiu.”

i found this quote informative as to what a romance with an emperor could be like. And because I plan to write a manuscript in ancient China times sometime in the future after I try finding a publisher for my current manuscript.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

This is more of a joke, but sometimes, pets are more preferable to be with than some people. 

A  handsome gentleman was saved by a young lady and a beloved pet. The gentleman fell for the pet, and didn’t fall for the young lady.”  A-PB1, p74

I had forgot about that one! :lol:

16 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

And the yueling flower song:

“ Yueling flower, once a snowflake up high. Plucked down, it withered and died. It lived but a moment, perished in the next. When the moon rose, it missed the flower. When the flower bloomed, it missed the moon. The moon was ignorant of the flower. The flower was ignorant of the moon. Flower lived a fleeting life, flower died a fleeting death .”A-PB2, p66

For me, it means not to waste any chances or reprieves given. Any moment might be the last time. There just might be no time left anymore, except to live with the regrets and memories, and of thoughts of what could have beens.

The yueling flower song was hauntingly beautiful!

btw, is it a Chinese folk song??

• Wiggle 1

8 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

I don't know, but if it is not, I'm assuming that the song would have folk songs, rhymes, or legends references. I really like the acapella version at the cave. 

Here's one more, from Aranya:

“This world is full of unpredictability. Everything depends on one’s heart, if not one’s heart then one’s fate, if not one’s fate then the current situation. Take a look around you, what is the current situation, where are we at?” A-PB2, p115

Still Aranya, as narrated by SMY

"...whether someone is man or immortal, one must follow his heart, his fate, and the situation..." A-PB2, p117

××××××

@Megan, I remember that you asked before why there were no others who stood up for Aranya when her name was declared taboo after she died saving her clan. This passage would confirm why there was only Xi Ze, and Shen Ye and Wen Tian behind the scenes working to save her, and why the taboo was easily enforced and kept in place.

Although Fanyin Valley was far removed from the troubled dusty world, April of that year had also been blanketed under a bloody atmosphere. First, the Royal Academy had executed the teacher who taught the eldest princess to write. Then, the palace took care of several servants who served the eldest princess. Not many days after, even the eldest princess herself was sentenced to be executed on Lingshu Terrace.      

She bore two felonies: one being deceiving the Crown, the other, fornication. A-PB2, p109

That was for Junou. Aranya was accused of regicide, a much graver offense cooked up by her own mother the Queen. Her servants would not have had any chances being spared. Especially that Qinghua was willingly manipulating situations to make way for Junou's ascension to the throne. 

She also attempted to have Shen Ye killed when he found out. Someone this ruthless will not hesitate to obliterate any oppositions. Aranya and Shen Ye saved Junou, but that held no gravitas to Qinghua.

• Sad 1
  • Insightful 1

8 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

How is it thus far?

I actually understand the story, and can remember some names now.

i am still impatiently waiting for Amber and Ying Dong to get together. That is why I started watching this show. Frankly I am not that convinced by their current romantic relationships.

but maybe Amber should mature some more because currently she is very easily jealous and unreasonable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Megan said:

I actually understand the story, and can remember some names now.

i am still impatiently waiting for Amber and Ying Dong to get together. That is why I started watching this show. Frankly I am not that convinced by their current romantic relationships.

but maybe Amber should mature some more because currently she is very easily jealous and unreasonable.

I hope I'll have the time to see it by the coming holidays. ^_^ 

10 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

I don't think its a folk song. I did some Google-ing and mentions of the flower only ever pop up in relation to The Pillow Book, so presumably, it's a fictional creation of Tangqi's, just like the fuling flowers are. 

7 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Here's one more, from Aranya:

“This world is full of unpredictability. Everything depends on one’s heart, if not one’s heart then one’s fate, if not one’s fate then the current situation. Take a look around you, what is the current situation, where are we at?” A-PB2, p115

Still Aranya, as narrated by SMY

"...whether someone is man or immortal, one must follow his heart, his fate, and the situation..." A-PB2, p117

Every time I read lines like these in the text, I always wonder how Tangqi could come up with such philosophical insights, particularly for someone who was only in her mid-twenties when she wrote this. Her writing really is very well done, and I'm sure Lotus Step will be even better. 

:sipsboba:

• Love 2

1 hour ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Every time I read lines like these in the text, I always wonder how Tangqi could come up with such philosophical insights, particularly for someone who was only in her mid-twenties when she wrote this. Her writing really is very well done, and I'm sure Lotus Step will be even better. 

I'm equally amazed with the parallels and mirrors in the story. For example, FJ losing her 9 tails and magic to be there in wicked lotus realm for DH. Hundreds of years later, DH keeps only 10% of his cultivation to enter the dream realm for FJ.

DH was confined in the wicked lotus realm as he duels with XY to retrieve his stolen soul locking jade. FJ is trapped in the dream realm when she "steals" what she won in the school sword skills competition. 

And some things don't change when they bicker, when they retort back what the other says...as always, DH wins :P

Dijun’s eyes flickered; he didn’t seem to think that she would notice this. After a length of time, he gently replied,   “When I carried you back, my wound reopened.” Then he proceeded to study her face.      

Fengjiu protested, “Nonsense, how am I that heavy?!”      

Dijun remained quiet for a while: “I think what you should be concerned about is my injured hand, not your   bodyweight.”      

With the fish creel in her hand, she stepped in for a closer look. “Oh, then why is your hand so weak?”      

Dijun was silent for a long time. “… Because you're too heavy.” A-PB1, p192

:happydance:

With difficulty, Fengjiu poked her head out from under the cloak. The quiet analysis of Changdi from just   moments ago had completely disappeared. Her eyes fixed on the cup at Xize’s lips, a boom went off in her head as   she quickly extended a hand to block him: “Stop, hero. That's my cup!”      

Xize turned his head, his face revealing a puzzlement. “Isn’t what’s yours mine, what difference is there?”      

Fengjiu’s head again pounded loudly. Avoiding the gazes of others, she covered one side of her face and sincerely   asked, “Hey, did you take the wrong meds? You were clearly not like this in the past...”      

Xize paused for a brief second then concisely said, “That’s because I took the wrong meds before.” He lowered his   head to pour out a hot bowl of soup and handed it to her: “Here, drink this.” A-PB2, p91

:kitty:

I'm so looking forward to the complete Lotus Steps!

@UnluckyWhiteCat, thanks so much again for sharing your annotated TPB. I'm really enjoying the details and explanations you've included. I'm now in the second book. ^_^

:fullofhearts:

• LOL 1
  • Wiggle 1

1 hour ago, Koreandramafan said:

Is it possible if the person has experience a heavenly trial because the heavens wants that person to restore the peace of the world ?

The heavenly trials in 3L3W are for the immortal to ascend into a more capable being. Three lightnings for an immortal to be a deity, then heavenly trials for high deity status. The heavenly trials can be anything - in Bai Qian's case, hers was a relationship trial. 

About the person on trial to restore peace in all realms, that would be, IMO, an if.  If he's on trial to give him the strength in character, correct judgment in assessing situations, and cultivation to carry through later on for his purpose of existing. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

The heavenly trials in 3L3W are for the immortal to ascend into a more capable being. Three lightnings for an immortal to be a deity, then heavenly trials for high deity status. The heavenly trials can be anything - in Bai Qian's case, hers was a relationship trial. 

About the person on trial to restore peace in all realms, that would be, IMO, an if.  If he's on trial to give him the strength in character, correct judgment in assessing situations, and cultivation to carry through later on for his purpose of existing. 

I didn’t know there is deity and high deity status. Thank you 

28 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Does the love trial always end in tragedy ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koreandramafan said:

Does the love trial always end in tragedy ? 

Not necessarily that it will always end tragically. In that lifetime however, the immortal will experience tests where his relationships are concerned, if that is the heavenly trial he is going through.

• Like 1

Watching V Love makes me uneasy because I really don’t like Amber. My first impression of her was Zhihe of all people! Though I admit her tantrums are a FJ-level of cuteness. But further into the episode and I just don’t like her character. She is so easily jealous and doesn’t really care about the consequences and trouble she gives others.

example, she couldn’t handle being a director’s assistant (she wanted the job to be close to her boyfriend and make sure he wasn’t cheating on her) but she fainted and basically the whole day’s work was ruined. I am not angry with her for fainting. She wanted to be with her boyfriend but it was too much. What made me angry was that when she heard how much trouble she had caused and how much money had been wasted, she didn’t care and was instead beaming that her boyfriend was beside her.

Episode 12 was the worst today.

when Ai Di had her heart broken by Amber’s friends, Amber actually blamed Ai Di for causing such a commotion in their perfect lives. She literally agreed that she always blames others when she makes mistakes.

i dont like Amber because she is insensitive and selfish, but then I can’t help but compare her to Feng Jiu. That is what makes me uneasy.

the difference is that Feng Jiu always gets caught, but always escapes punishment somehow. And yet I wonder if Feng Jiu cares about how her actions could affect others. Ok, yes she cares about her country’s reputation and Dong Hua and her friends. She took responsibility for messing up Dong Hua’s trial.

i dont how to describe it but Amber is making me consider Feng Jiu in a new light, except I can’t think of any situation where Feng Jiu behaved like Amber right now

6 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Not necessarily that it will always end tragically. In that lifetime however, the immortal will experience tests where his relationships are concerned, if that is the heavenly trial he is going through.

Why do love trials end in two people splitting ? Is the fate intend to separate them apart ??

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

@UnluckyWhiteCat, thanks so much again for sharing your annotated TPB. I'm really enjoying the details and explanations you've included. I'm now in the second book. ^_^

I'm so glad you're enjoying it, please do let me know if something is unclear or can be done better and I'll be happy to try to clarify!

29 minutes ago, Koreandramafan said:

Why do love trials end in two people splitting ? Is the fate intend to separate them apart ??

The trial is meant for the immortal to learn something and grow as a person. If they can't, they don't "advance to the next level" and die. So the way I see it, Bai Qian had to experience this heartbreak to learn, and that's why they split. But if you think about it, she and Ye Hua were actually always fated to be together, not separated. From the moment Ye Hua was born, they were already arranged to end up married, and even before he was born, he was that golden lotus she took care of (in the drama, don't remember about the book). And we don't necessarily know that love trials must end with the two people splitting because the only love trial we actually see in the series is that of Bai Qian's. So it is plausible that not all love trials end in that way, and in the end, they do wind up together anyways. 

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1