[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

15 hours ago, Megan said:

would you rather see an ELOD movie with different cast now, or later when the ELOD fire has been cooled?

I won't mind seeing ELOD movie so close after the drama ended if it will show something new, or give more depth to a portion in the drama. For examples, the wars before DH became the Emperor, the whole story of the animosity between him and Miao Luo, or what did he do during that 200 years of separation, and what happened after reconciliation.

Neither would I mind a different movie cast, although I still want the original drama cast, so long that the new (movie) cast has no miscast. :lol:

15 hours ago, ChibiLy said:

If the producers are smart, they will keep the original cast.

That would be really lovely, as the original cast was a dream cast. Schedules would vary however, it's inevitable that somebody may be replaced...though hopefully not the main couples.

13 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

The movie of TMOPB is so watered down in terms of editing, plot and character development due to its length constraint that it cannot match the impact of the TV drama. I find Yang Yang didn’t have the maturity 

(that comes with life experiences) needed for the role of Ye Hua although he had the looks. 

The TMOPB movie was too rushed because it tried to cover everything, and I didn't quite like the twist at the ending. IMO, it would have been better if the plot focused on one or two focal events of Bai Qian and Ye Hua's relationship, then followed the book/drama ending.

Though I've liked Crystal Liu as Bai Qian, I found Yang Yang not as well-matched for her in the movie, though he has the perfect looks of Ye Hua. She has that innate strong appeal which somehow overwhelmed Yang Yang even when she was Su Su. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

the wars before DH became the Emperor, the whole story of the animosity between him and Miao Luo, or what did he do during that 200 years of separation, and what happened after reconciliation.

I want that in the pillow book extra! Maybe as story time for Gun Gun

• Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

While I was browsing through the eternal love forum, I was struck by a comment.

do you think Dong Hua is a bully? Or scary?

btw what does the panda emoji mean? Oops means brother but that doesn’t make much sense...

One fine day, Gun Gun was having his arts class. The teacher gave his students the assignment of painting Dong Hua’s most deadly feats for show & tell.

show & tell time

Lian Song and Si Ming were the judges.

a watercolor painting of Dong Hua standing atop a mountain of corpses.

a charcoal sketch of Dong Hua slaying a fearsome beast.

a drawing of Dong Hua vs Miao Luo.

what was Gun Gun’s painting?

he fingerpainted his father’s sweet and sour fish.

• LOL 4

2 hours ago, Megan said:

Scary. His cooking is definitely scary.

40 minutes ago, Megan said:

One fine day, Gun Gun was having his arts class. The teacher gave his students the assignment of painting Dong Hua’s most deadly feats for show & tell.

show & tell time

Lian Song and Si Ming were the judges.

a watercolor painting of Dong Hua standing atop a mountain of corpses.

a charcoal sketch of Dong Hua slaying a fearsome beast.

a drawing of Dong Hua vs Miao Luo.

what was Gun Gun’s painting?

he fingerpainted his father’s sweet and sour fish.

BGG is bullying the judges, LMAO!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Megan said:

While I was browsing through the eternal love forum, I was struck by a comment.

btw what does the panda emoji mean? Oops means brother but that doesn’t make much sense...

Depends on how you define bully and the way you interpret his actions.

I wouldn't say he is a bully. DH seldomly seeked out to interact with others.

• Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Something to be excited about for Lotus Steps, Bodhi Fate...and The Pillow Book of course!

Note: Copied auto-translated text, Google Lens translation, and some editing for grammar/context from below link:

Update from TQ

1. The Lotus Steps is divided into two books, The Mortal Scroll and Eight Desolation Scroll. Each book will have two volumes. The first book will be published before the Lunar New Year. The first volume is the 50,000 words The Pillow Book extra, which would be about the ancient history of Dong Hua, and the Dong Feng family at present. The first volume will be a separate booklet.

2. The second volume of the Mortal Scroll will have about 100,000 words of new content.

3. The remaining two volumes of the Eight Desolation Scrolls are expected to be finished before the Chinese New Year next year.

PS: Tang Qi has has finished writing the outline of The Bodhi Fate.

That's such awesome news!! I can't wait!! Although, it does seem that what will be published this time around is what was already previously released from Lotus Step, so from this source, it seems like there won't actually be any new content Liansong and Cheng'yu wise :(. But 50,000 words for The Pillow Book extras?? That's like... an entire book, a somewhat shorter book, but still that's a lot (not that I'm complaining XD).

:highonflowers:

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

6 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

That's such awesome news!! I can't wait!! Although, it does seem that what will be published this time around is what was already previously released from Lotus Step, so from this source, it seems like there won't actually be any new content Liansong and Cheng'yu wise :(. But 50,000 words for The Pillow Book extras?? That's like... an entire book, a somewhat shorter book, but still that's a lot (not that I'm complaining XD).

I think the new content 100,000 words for Cheng Yu and Lian Song's mortal arc could be the continuation from when Cheng Yu was sent off to another kingdom? 

Spoiler

If it is that, TBH, I have trepidations reading what could have happened to her on her way there, and if she arrived there, what was her life there. :(

I also feel the first volume will have a lot of Lian Song and Cheng Yu with Dong Hua's family in Jiuchongtian. :lol: Third Prince is a Tai Chen Palace fixture, and the other is Feng Jiu's bestie.

• Insightful 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

29 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I think the new content 100,000 words for Cheng Yu and Lian Song's mortal arc could be the continuation from when Cheng Yu was sent off to another kingdom? 

Oh, LOL I just realized, I completely ignored the #2 there, oopsie :sweatingbullets:

33 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Hide contents

If it is that, TBH, I have trepidations reading what could have happened to her on her way there, and if she arrived there, what was her life there. :(

I also feel the first volume will have a lot of Lian Song and Cheng Yu with Dong Hua's family in Jiuchongtian. :lol: Third Prince is a Tai Chen Palace fixture, and the other is Feng Jiu's bestie.

Ughhh that spoiler... this is why I'm really iffy on reading Lotus Step before both books are written and published. Imagine she has the end of the first book end on a cliffhanger the way The Pillow Book did? I don't think I could wait another year for the second book to come out. 

:fear:

I might at least go and read the extras though when they're published, assuming I can find a digital version, of course (not sure where exactly I could even get a physical copy that wouldn't cost a fortune anyways).

• Blob 1

22 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Something to be excited about for Lotus Steps, Bodhi Fate...and The Pillow Book of course!

Note: Copied auto-translated text, Google Lens translation, and some editing for grammar/context from below link:

Update from TQ

1. The Lotus Steps is divided into two books, The Mortal Scroll and Eight Desolation Scroll. Each book will have two volumes. The first book will be published before the Lunar New Year. The first volume is the 50,000 words The Pillow Book extra, which would be about the ancient history of Dong Hua, and the Dong Feng family at present. The first volume will be a separate booklet.

2. The second volume of the Mortal Scroll will have about 100,000 words of new content.

3. The remaining two volumes of the Eight Desolation Scrolls are expected to be finished before the Chinese New Year next year.

PS: Tang Qi has has finished writing the outline of The Bodhi Fate.

This made my day! 

Fox Happy GIF - Fox Happy Dance - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

47 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Ughhh that spoiler... this is why I'm really iffy on reading Lotus Step before both books are written and published. Imagine she has the end of the first book end on a cliffhanger the way The Pillow Book did? I don't think I could wait another year for the second book to come out. 

She did give a timeline though, that the 3rd and 4th volume (of the eight desolation scroll) will be finished on Chinese New Year next year...that means the publishing will be a few months after February next year, hopefully?

By the way, is it really eight desolation? 

拿出小本本认真记笔记ing
1.步生莲分为凡世卷和八荒卷,每卷两册,第一册的《化茧》将会在农历新年之前出版,是之前连载的内容+五万字的洪荒背景的枕上书番外,番外是单独的小册子
2.凡世卷第二册将会有10万字左右的新内容
3.剩下的两册八荒卷预计在明年农历年之前写完
PS:七姐已经把菩提劫的大纲打好了哟

47 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

I might at least go and read the extras though when they're published, assuming I can find a digital version, of course (not sure where exactly I could even get a physical copy that wouldn't cost a fortune anyways).

Hope you can get it! I'm hoping she will eventually officially release her other books in English. I rather think that the first book was messed up though by the translator...I hope that isn't the reason why her other works are in other languages but not English. :huh:

• Wiggle 2

44 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

She did give a timeline though, that the 3rd and 4th volume (of the eight desolation scroll) will be finished on Chinese New Year next year...that means the publishing will be a few months after February next year, hopefully?

By the way, is it really eight desolation? 

拿出小本本认真记笔记ing
1.步生莲分为凡世卷和八荒卷,每卷两册,第一册的《化茧》将会在农历新年之前出版,是之前连载的内容+五万字的洪荒背景的枕上书番外,番外是单独的小册子
2.凡世卷第二册将会有10万字左右的新内容
3.剩下的两册八荒卷预计在明年农历年之前写完
PS:七姐已经把菩提劫的大纲打好了哟

Yesss, hopefully it will all be done and published within a year and a half. No rush though, I'd certainly want her to put her best effort into the writing :)

Yeah, so you might have seen in my copy of The Pillow Book, there were a lot of places where I had "Four Seas and Eight Realms" or some other variation of this right? I think most of these (if not all) I had to add in myself because I think Hamster usually translated it as "world." It's the same characters used there as are used here for the Eight Desolations (八荒). So 八 = eight, but 荒 doesn't actually mean "Realms," it's just always translated that way (as I've seen in the Three Lives Three Worlds universe) in drama subtitles and whatever else because, well, "desolations" sounds a little strange, doesn't it? As in, "Four Seas and Eight Desolations." So literally, yes, its desolations, so anytime you see "Eight Realms," in regard to the 3L3W universe, it actually does mean "Eight Desolations." 

44 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Hope you can get it! I'm hoping she will eventually officially release her other books in English. I rather think that the first book was messed up though by the translator...I hope that isn't the reason why her other works are in other languages but not English.

I really do hope I'd be able to get it! I also do wish that she'd have an official English translation for her books too, I just feel like it's unlikely because I feel like there isn't really a massive market for literature in other languages, at least where I am :(. I really want it too, because barring translating it out myself (has the translation been dropped, btw? It's been a few months... :(), it would be somewhat difficult (as well as take a long time) for me to read in Chinese myself. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Yeah, so you might have seen in my copy of The Pillow Book, there were a lot of places where I had "Four Seas and Eight Realms" or some other variation of this right? I think most of these (if not all) I had to add in myself because I think Hamster usually translated it as "world." It's the same characters used there as are used here for the Eight Desolations (八荒). So 八 = eight, but 荒 doesn't actually mean "Realms," it's just always translated that way (as I've seen in the Three Lives Three Worlds universe) in drama subtitles and whatever else because, well, "desolations" sounds a little strange, doesn't it? As in, "Four Seas and Eight Desolations." So literally, yes, its desolations, so anytime you see "Eight Realms," in regard to the 3L3W universe, it actually does mean "Eight Desolations." 

Familiar with "ba huang liu he" in the drama, as Lian Song and Dong Hua mentioned it several times. But it's often auto translated as eight wilderness or eight deserts and six directions or six spheres. :D

32 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

I really do hope I'd be able to get it! I also do wish that she'd have an official English translation for her books too, I just feel like it's unlikely because I feel like there isn't really a massive market for literature in other languages, at least where I am :(. I really want it too, because barring translating it out myself (has the translation been dropped, btw? It's been a few months... :(), it would be somewhat difficult (as well as take a long time) for me to read in Chinese myself. 

Though auto translate is a good help for small translations, it's still very limited because the output is sometimes hilarious, if not confusing. 

I really, really love your annotations to the Pillow Book. :wub: 

Where I'm now is considered a melting pot of almost 200 different nationalities. English and Arabic are widely used, but there are plenty of South Asian languages/dialects users. However, Mandarin is beginning to be felt. For instance, in Dubai Mall, and if I remember correctly in Burj Khalifa, directions and signboards inside are in English, Arabic, and Mandarin. ^_^

I feel @Ninky as well as the other translators are swamped with the pandemic brought changes...last time she was online she said she was homeschooling her 3 kids. The lock down is lifted in Melbourne, but I don't think it's also back to usual as before. She did say though that she was also back to translating.

Sigh, 2020 has totally overhauled what we knew as normal. 

• Like 1

After intense research for the instrumental parts of ELOD songs I finally found it. I am not sure if everyone have seen it. Timestamp for the opening is at 1:22:48. Pian Pian (So it happen) the one sung by Dilreba is at 1:27:21. Book of fate is at 1:31:22. And lastly Heart at Desires is at 1:35:23. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1

12 minutes ago, Khue N said:

After intense research for the instrumental parts of ELOD songs I finally found it. I am not sure if everyone have seen it. Timestamp for the opening is at 1:22:48. Pian Pian (So it happen) the one sung by Dilreba is at 1:27:21. Book of fate is at 1:31:22. And lastly Heart at Desires is at 1:35:23.

The instrumental versions of the OSTs are really beautiful, and all in one place! 

:glee:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

Familiar with "ba huang liu he" in the drama, as Lian Song and Dong Hua mentioned it several times. But it's often auto translated as eight wilderness or eight deserts and six directions or six spheres. :D

Yep, I've definitely seen that auto-translation, and I mean, it technically is (close to) right, it just sounds kind of strange, at least to me. -shrugs-

And now that you've brought it up, about that "six spheres" thing, I don't really remember if I explained my choice of words in translating that, but I translated it that way purely because of the "Four Seas and Eight Realms" translation. ”六界" is something that I would actually want to translate as "Six Realms," and as it is written, it always refers to Donghua's former reign. So the reason I didn't translate as "Six Realms" was because there was already "Four Seas and Eight Realms," and I didn't like the way that the translations would conflict with each other, because to me, it makes it seem almost as though the space Donghua reigned over is kind of lesser than the current space. If ya'll can think of a better word than "sphere” (which I'm also reconsidering because of the Wicked Lotus Sphere) that isn't "Realm" or "world," I'm open to any suggestions. 

I really, really love your annotations to the Pillow Book. :wub: 

Where I'm now is considered a melting pot of almost 200 different nationalities. English and Arabic are widely used, but there are plenty of South Asian languages/dialects users. However, Mandarin is beginning to be felt. For instance, in Dubai Mall, and if I remember correctly in Burj Khalifa, directions and signboards inside are in English, Arabic, and Mandarin. ^_^

Thank you! And wow, that's actually somewhat similar to where I live, but with different languages. I live in New York, so what I personally see and hear is mostly English, Chinese (mostly Mandarin and Cantonese, with some Fujianese), and Spanish, but there's also kind of a smattering of a bunch of other different languages, depending on which area you actually live in. I actually have also seen a bit of Arabic here as well, but definitely not as much as other languages. 

Honestly, I would definitely have never expected that Mandarin would be so common in the UAE, but its nice to know that the languages are getting out there more. 

I feel @Ninky as well as the other translators are swamped with the pandemic brought changes...last time she was online she said she was homeschooling her 3 kids. The lock down is lifted in Melbourne, but I don't think it's also back to usual as before. She did say though that she was also back to translating.

Sigh, 2020 has totally overhauled what we knew as normal. 

Ah, that is true, things are definitely different now, and I guess its probably pretty rough on everyone. It definitely looks like I'm probably going to wind up in another lockdown here... -sighs- Although, I definitely feel like I don't have it anywhere near as bad as others do because I'm still in college and I do really well with (and honestly prefer) staying in all the time anyways, so my biggest concerns right now are my finals coming up in the next couple of weeks :sweatingbullets:. So I really do hope everyone else is healthy and doing well! <3

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1

4 hours ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

And now that you've brought it up, about that "six spheres" thing, I don't really remember if I explained my choice of words in translating that, but I translated it that way purely because of the "Four Seas and Eight Realms" translation. ”六界" is something that I would actually want to translate as "Six Realms," and as it is written, it always refers to Donghua's former reign. So the reason I didn't translate as "Six Realms" was because there was already "Four Seas and Eight Realms," and I didn't like the way that the translations would conflict with each other, because to me, it makes it seem almost as though the space Donghua reigned over is kind of lesser than the current space. If ya'll can think of a better word than "sphere” (which I'm also reconsidering because of the Wicked Lotus Sphere) that isn't "Realm" or "world," I'm open to any suggestions. 

I'm doubtful there are any much better synonyms to sphere. Domain sounds vague, territory sounds like there's someone else who presides other areas, area feels too small, kingdom or empire just don't sound right and repetitive, zones or arena aren't grand enough. 

I think the sphere is alright if not realm. :) Wicked lotus sphere might be better as wicked lotus realm though. Four Seas and Eight Realms, hmm, the realms might be exchangeable to territories or kingdoms? Otherwise let it be as it is.

Honestly, I would definitely have never expected that Mandarin would be so common in the UAE, but its nice to know that the languages are getting out there more

It's common for most of the people here to know at least 2 languages. In school, a student would learn English, Arabic, and language of choice. 

There are schools here too that cater mainly to their expat communities although also open to other nationalities, like the British, German, Japanese, French, Russian, Indian, and Chinese schools. 

Many tourists to UAE are from East Asia. Before pandemic, whenever I visit Dubai Mall, I would see at least two or three tour groups checking out the goods and attractions in the mall and nearby. :)

Ah, that is true, things are definitely different now, and I guess its probably pretty rough on everyone. It definitely looks like I'm probably going to wind up in another lockdown here... -sighs- Although, I definitely feel like I don't have it anywhere near as bad as others do because I'm still in college and I do really well with (and honestly prefer) staying in all the time anyways, so my biggest concerns right now are my finals coming up in the next couple of weeks :sweatingbullets:. So I really do hope everyone else is healthy and doing well! <3

Sinopaharm vaccine for COVID19 are in phase three test here for the volunteers. Several members of the royal families and officials, aside from thousands of volunteers took part for the testing. At present the vaccine is readily available for the med front liners.

If cases are surging there in NY, then it is better you're doing your classes online. For me, the kids are back to school, but I'm not so worried...coz they're the lone students in their respective sections, LOL. 

Best of luck to your finals! 

• Blob 1