[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记

sugarplum892

I've seen the negative comments here and on YT and I just can't agree. Even though some aspects of the last 10 episodes does feel a bit rushed, I'm fine with the ending. C dramas are notorious for having the worst kind of resolutions and YTTLJ 2019 is absolutely NOT one of those. In fact, I would say, in the history of C drama endings, this was actually quite okay. (Of course it may be just a case of low hanging fruit :P) The show's development particularly of WJ's arc has been entirely consistent from the start and the ending we got was foreshadowed on several occasions so it's not like it came from nowhere. (Except for the demise of Xie Xun which was quite unexpected)

Although this YTTLJ made significant changes especially towards the end, I generally appreciate the overall feeling of realism. So the Ming sect are made up largely of scoundrels that have no compunction about backstabbing their leader at the opportune moment should come as no big surprise. Just because WJ was able to rally them around his personality, it didn't turn them all into obedient boy scouts. Once they all had a taste of power, they did what many have done in history. It's the usual game of thrones conundrum.

I also like that this version makes it abundantly clear to me why WJ should never rule. It's not as if this hasn't come up before. Heaven blessed him with the skills/ability to learn martial arts and placate angry, jealous women but Heaven didn't give him the wherewithal to be the sovereign. He didn't want to anyway. He certainly didn't want to be the sect leader in the first place but he was emotionally blackmailed time and time again. People even his own family used his best qualities against him. That's why I think ZM is such a shining light because she always wanted him to be free to act according to his heart. His innate goodness and naivete was always a double-edged sword but it was consistently played out. The boy can't play politics and so he shouldn't rule. Period. Besides he was always just a happy-go-lucky kid who wanted to roam the world and help people.

To me the romance was absolutely necessary to the story because ZM is the outlier that keeps reminding WJ of his true self. When he is with her, he is free to be himself. His role in the story essentially is to unite the martial arts community and he was on board with that because he's a patriot. She, on the other hand, represents the urgings of his own heart and the freedom that he craves. Everyone has plans for WJ from being leader of the Ming sect to who he should marry. All of which goes against the grain for him. But ZM keeps popping up reminding him of who he is and what he truly wants out of life... the freedom... the simplicity... to really help people with his skills. I won't deny that he's quite frustrating. Even though I think he's an utter idiot about the depravity of his fellow human beings, it is admirable that he never loses himself in the plots of other people. He manages to stay above it all. Of course to have a woman who understands him by his side helps... considerably. ;)

That's why I think this YTTLJ has the most consistently drawn WJ that I've seen. Politics and war are undoubtedly messy. He can fight the war but he cannot do politics. So exit Sect Leader Zhang... Enter Zhang Wuji, the wanderer. He's come full circle. He started life off the island as a wanderer and he has finally returned to that life with ONE woman. Politics is for other people to sort out. 

It makes sense that he would leave only after doing his bit and disillusioned.

Thematically the show is fine. Apart from a bit of choppiness in the last few episodes, the show ended in a way that makes sense considering what's come before. But the martial arts sequences... sigh... for a wuxia drama, it's so pedestrian and so stingy.

5 hours ago, insertusernamehere said:

I'm of the probably controversial school of thought that marriage is just a social contract to protect people, and having kids was an economic necessity (more labor, back when we didn't have machines), so I'm perfectly happy with no wedding and no kid. Commitment is more important, and we know that they're committed.

In this day and age it's probably not that controversial. ;)

But I disagree. Marriage is absolutely one hundred percent about commitment. You can't be more committed than to publicly tell the world "Till death do us part". It's always been about commitment even if it is just a social contract and there's not a lot of love to begin with.

That said, I'm okay that they didn't show us a wedding here in this story because of the circumstances and the propensity of the people around WJ to use marriage to trap him into things but I imagine history will repeat itself... just like it did with mum and dad. ;)

• Like 5
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, PutriSing said:

Anyone can tell me what was embroidered on the handkerchief ZM gave WJ? 

CMIIW...I think it means 'clear mind'   I don't read or write chinese, only limited understand.

I love it when MM asked him 'why you look so silly' when they meet in the mountain, and he answer 'you're so beautiful':wub: hahaha...I think at this point he might love MM more than MM love him.  He keep asking her to stay.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jackieusa said:

CMIIW...I think it means 'clear mind'   I don't read or write chinese, only limited understand.

I love it when MM asked him 'why you look so silly' when they meet in the mountain, and he answer 'you're so beautiful':wub: hahaha...I think at this point he might love MM more than MM love him.  He keep asking her to stay.

This is so Right. At the beginning she is chasing him and got push away. Til the end, he go after MinMin and begging for staying and didn't want to let go. Because MinMin is beautiful, smart and stole his heart.

Loved it that MM used Mrs. Zhang as her identity at the Inn. 

Watched the forced wedding scene again, WJ was so happy, grinning non stop, definitely  the opposite when he was going to married ZZR.   I can tell he was so desperate to be with MM, and when she refused him.:bawling:  :heartbreak:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LaurenPanna said:

WJ minmin, never enough of them 

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4362190863719076

PS: i thought he would admit he threw the box himself haha

Agreed, never get enough of them.

Well, technically he was forced, so I was glad he didn't admitted that he threw it away himself.

ZWJ is such a humble and down to earth person, he could have use gold to re made the box with his status now he can afford it but instead he used wood.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AppleBanana said:

It would be a nice touch if they reunited at the end and he gave her back the hairpin. I was waiting so much for that!

i'm pretty he keep the hairpin and return it to her. I can tell they both missed each other when they apart because you could see tear in their eyes. WJ can't wait and run to hug her and she was "why did you come now" that mean MinMin must be waiting for WJ for a long time too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jackieusa said:

Agreed, never get enough of them.

Well, technically he was forced, so I was glad he didn't admitted that he threw it away himself.

ZWJ is such a humble and down to earth person, he could have use gold to re made the box with his status now he can afford it but instead he used wood.

I think it's a sweeter gesture that it was handmade all night and he carved it by himself. Also MM always appreciate the simple stuff more than gold (she already has that most of her life anyway). Ah still want to cry when I see them together finally:bawling:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AppleBanana said:

It would be a nice touch if they reunited at the end and he gave her back the hairpin. I was waiting so much for that!

IKR...Just give us fans 10 more sec. for WJ to put the hairpin back on her hair means so much for there love story.

I'm going to missed this show sooooo much, I was so looking forward to Wednesday to Friday for the last 1 1/2 month.  How to move forward?  Keep repeating HSDS until I'm sick of it.:lol: Can't move on to another drama at the moment.

I was scared for a moment when MM's father got killed.  I thought MM might hate WJ for the rest of her life because he indirectly let his people used him.  Blessed, MM is a smart lady and is logically thinking enough that she didn't hold any grudge on WJ like some other dramas weak female characters. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jackieusa said:

ZWJ is not smart but I don't call him dumb neither.  Isn't he's the ZWJ we know, (righteous, kind heart, naive, nationalism, etc).  I understand why he want the wedding with ZM.  He lost his yifu, so before he found out MM is still alive he basically lost all his most important people and family members (I don't count his uncle because hes a bastard).  The scene where he released the lantern with MM name on it into the river when he closed his eyes is so sad.:bawling:  Once he knew MM is alive, he wanted to be with her every seconds without parting again. He even lied about the hair stick so he can see her one last time before she leave again.  Even though MM said he can come look for her after he finish his duties.  But we're talking about how many years later that he will finally completing his duties, plus he needed her support.  At the end of the day WJ is just a simple young man desperately not wanting to be separated again with the love of his life who he thought she is dead but end up still alive.  Marrying her at that moment is the only way to keep her by his side 24/7 so his mind was not thinking straight, a little foolish decision being too emotional.  Imagine when you just found the most precious person in your life back (fortunate, MM talk some senses and explained the schemes behind it).  IMO, maybe being a little greedy and selfish for the first time in his life when he agree the wedding.  WJ looks so happy, he thought his Ming Sect. brothers finally accepted MM that I feels pain for him.  Too bad ZYZ is such a despicable person and the Ming sect. people (with individual goals) all fall for his schemes and plotting to used WJ and MM to gains all there needs.

I know this HSDS version is not everybody cup of tea, but I love it to dead beating 86 version.

I just treated the first half as a wuxia series and the second half as a wuxia/romance series.:love:

Funny that I used to loved to re-watched the GMD arc because I love it so much before WJ and ZM romance flourish.  But now I find myself love to re-watched the last 10 episodes of the series countless times more.

Peace! 

I love how you described!! Just that little selfish gesture to keep your love one by your side 24/7 sound really sweet 

No wonder he instantly look very hurt when minmin left. But i know minmin left because want to protect her family and also want to protect WJ. 

I absolutely forgive him for being a little selfish because its so sweet. He is just a simple man. 

3 hours ago, PutriSing said:

Anyone can tell me what was embroidered on the handkerchief ZM gave WJ? 

I interpreted it as doing things with clear mind and a clear conscience, not deviating from our pure heart, our original nature

From the start, WJ kept his original nature and this is what Jinyong the author always try to tell us, he can never be the emperor because of his character, he never want to be emperor and i am glad he kept his pure heart to reject the throne when they push it to him. the production team really bring out WJ characteristics well. They did not let Jinyong down 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jackieusa said:

IKR...Just give us fans 10 more sec. for WJ to put the hairpin back on her hair means so much for there love story.

I'm going to missed this show sooooo much, I was so looking forward to Wednesday to Friday for the last 1 1/2 month.  How to move forward?  Keep repeating HSDS until I'm sick of it.:lol: Can't move on to another drama at the moment.

I was scared for a moment when MM's father got killed.  I thought MM might hate WJ for the rest of her life because he indirectly let his people used him.  Blessed, MM is a smart lady and is logically thinking enough that she didn't hold any grudge on WJ like some other dramas weak female characters. 

I know! And I love coming to this thread and reading everyone's comments and analysis. Sad. This was one of the drama that I wasn't expecting to watch at all. I started off watching another drama, but kinda left midway and happened to stumble upon an MV with XY and DF and was like interesting, interesting. I didn't know it with HSDS until I dug a little deeper. Then of course I got hooked and kept coming back here. No regrets!

He told Zhang 3 feng that he scared minmin can't forgive him. 

But i am glad minmin did, and even ask why did he only come now.... 

Just a funny question, for the first time, when minmin wanted to leave for mongolia after the lantern scene and exchange of gifts scene, didn't she actually tell him the "address" of where she willl be heading? Ok maybe not exact address, but a specific location name in Mongol ? Otherwise Mongolia is very big, right? 

4 minutes ago, LaurenPanna said:

Just a funny question, for the first time, when minmin wanted to leave for mongolia after the lantern scene and exchange of gifts scene, didn't she actually tell him the "address" of where she willl be heading? Ok maybe not exact address, but a specific location name in Mongol ? 

No, she only said that WJ should look for her in mongol only no specific location

Can someone translate what was written on each of their lanterns?

Thank you! 

Also I was thinking...WJ's passion for saving the people, while fitting with his personality, seems a bit out of nowhere given that we didn't really see him thinking about that until he was forced into the Ming sect leader role. If he was someone truly passionate about this issue, it would make more sense why he didn't want to leave with MM. In the novel the war wasn't emphasized as much, and WJ also didn't constantly talk about the importance of saving Han people from Yuan.

6 minutes ago, LaurenPanna said:

Just a funny question, for the first time, when minmin wanted to leave for mongolia after the lantern scene and exchange of gifts scene, didn't she actually tell him the "address" of where she willl be heading? Ok maybe not exact address, but a specific location name in Mongol ? 

But that was before her father got killed.  MM probably mad at WJ for choosing Ming Sect. people over her when she asked him to leave with her.  So she purposely avoiding him, moving around in the beginning. Just my guess.:lol:

@AppleBanana I wasn't going to watch this drama too like I've mentioned before that I'm not interested in HSDS story line due to WJ personality.  I always prefer some romance in a series but HSDS romance is kind of mess up because IMO WJ kind of interested in every girls.  I really feels like he doesn't love ZM enough in all other versions to be with her at the end.  Plus I never watch any of Joseph's drama before and I was hesitate a bit when watching the trailer.  But I do want to give it a try because the GMD arc WJ looks very cool.   So I fear I might have to drop it when episodes 39 and 40 shows how lovey dovey WJ with ZZR .  I'm glad I stick to it and happy this version did not disappointed me at all (WJ only madly in love with MM).  Now I'm a big fan of Joseph and Yu Qi, hopefully they'll cooperate in another drama soon.

11 minutes ago, insertusernamehere said:

Thank you! 

Also I was thinking...WJ's passion for saving the people, while fitting with his personality, seems a bit out of nowhere given that we didn't really see him thinking about that until he was forced into the Ming sect leader role. If he was someone truly passionate about this issue, it would make more sense why he didn't want to leave with MM. In the novel the war wasn't emphasized as much, and WJ also didn't constantly talk about the importance of saving Han people from Yuan.

Both of them wrote similar, that "May my husband / Zhaomin stay by my side forever" 

• Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, insertusernamehere said:

1st: Wishing the brave patriots fighting Yuan to rest in peace

2nd: Wishing the common people to enjoy long lasting peace

3rd: Wishing Zhao Min to always be by my side

4th: Wishing husband to always accompany me

I hope I'm right

• Thanks 3