[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记

sugarplum892

@chipz03

Thank you!! 

I found it. Its indeed very nice 

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4362517822480909

19 minutes ago, penforella said:

Hi everyone,

I guess I'm super late to the party but I love this version of HSDS so much I just have to join in.

I love going through all of your post, analysis, pics, and mvs :wub:

I can't speak chinese so all of your post here has been helping me understand most of the scenes and context.

HSDS is my favorite out of the trilogy but I can't stand most of the past version except the '86 version, but this '19 version hitting all the right mark for me with the OTP, supporting actors, costumes, settings and musics. 

The best OTP hug award for me goes to ep 49 reunion at the inn. They just fit each other so well like puzzle pieces. 

Same here, i love the 1986 and this 2019 versions. 

Agree with you!! The inn reunion hug is the best!! They are like magnets!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chipz03 said:

I somewhat agree that WJ should express his love toward MM more,  but in the last few episodes, he has stepped up the game.  Going against his own uncle after his own grandpa died,  going against the rest of his members, he even going against the members of the 6 sects to defend her. It speaks volume of his feeling toward ZM.

This might sound cruel,  but l somewhat glad that this version make him go through the heartbreaks and disappointments  and longing before he can finally be with his MM.  Through it all,  he can finally learn how precious she is for him and it truly emphasis the strength of his feeling toward her. I kinda thought previous versions should have amped up the "evidence" that he truly love ZM,  and this version did). 

Thank you again Lauren for the wonderful post and translation.  Spot on and I agree with the POV. 

To defend WJ a bit ^_^

Reveal hidden contents

I feel like ZM herself know that ZYZ was behind the plot not WJ,  hence her anger was mainly targeted toward the culprit. However,  It's WJ reluctance to let her punish the culprit that break her heart and push her to let him go. A brave move that I admire on her part.

It sets me up thinking, perhaps his reluctance make her feel or even fear like she's losing the WJ that could not care less about the throne. She's been risking everything for this WJ. Yet, what she saw at that moment was someone that keep sticking up with those who only use him, all to achieve the goal of overthrowing the dynasty. Perhaps she started to think whether she's losing her old WJ?  Although I cannot totally blame her for being extremely dissapointed with him.   

However,  i have been thinking about WJ action of preventing MM from killing ZYZ: i think from WJ's pov,  This is not because he doesn't love her enough, but I feel he cannot just let her do that. They are at the crucial part of their fight against their enemies. No matter how much he wanted to protect her,  there is still this duty that is larger than just him and her.  It's related to the fights of his people. Besides, she is in the Ming headquarter. Those members have already wanted to kill her.  They don't need another reason to kill her right then and there. He needs to think with his head, not his heart. This is one reason why I personally love the portrayals of WJ and ZM in this version. At least in my opinion, They can use their feeling,  but they also know how to use their rationale most of the time. 

He is willing to give his life if it can help assuage her thirst for revenge, her hatred. I think this is the only thing he can do at this moment. To protect her and to ensure the fights didn't stop. I might be wrong,  but ZYZ has experiences and power over the Ming armies,  so they need him (I might be wrong though)

It would be nice to have longer epilogue but I think this ending work too.  At the end,  the fact that WJ was standing in front of her, with his old hair style and simple attire, hair on a bun just like the WJ she first met, the young man who has shared the same youthful dreams with her,  has explained everything for her: He has done what he needs to do,  and he has also given up everything: throne,  power, to find her.  This is the WJ that she has been risking everything for,  the one she thought she lost when she let him go some time back. They both have lost so much: she lost her father and her brother might or might not forgive her (my guess), while he lost his grandpa,  his yifu. It is a great relief if they can let go and finally treasure each other peacefully.

Sorry, I might think and look into things too much. Hence the long and winding posts:sweatingbullets:.  I just love HSDS among all wuxia series I watch, so I truly enjoy analyzing bits and pieces about this stories hahaha. 

On lighter note:

Did the horse bite CYQ hand in the bts clip? :o I guess the horse got "scolded" by WJ.  Don't mess with his Minmin.  B) CYQ sounds so worried when she thought she accidently hurt Shuo Bude actor. I wish they released more BTS of CYQ with or without Joseph. I want more ZM :sweatingbullets:

Edited to add:

Have anyone watched the MV posted by Joseph in his Weibo? It's heavily focused on WJ/MM and I love the song used.  Nicely done MV:love:

Can you post that MV that posted by Joseph.

50 minutes ago, LaurenPanna said:

Bluesky

I posted above

One post above

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4362517822480909

thank you Lauren. I love reading your post and thank you for posting. 

26 minutes ago, graceeedwardmom said:

Thank you. The song is matched very well with the drama. Love it. Hope someone upload in youtube soon so we can download it. 

i was hope the same that they put it on youtube so we can dl it. I tried to save it on my phone but not sure if it will delete.

6 hours ago, LaurenPanna said:

Love this

Can see the forehead kissing clearly now 

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4362471961906011

Still interested in a wedding? Haha 

See this:

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4362407147628119

These NG funny shots are too funny not to share 

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4362378550216758

Am really loving the below MV

It summarise everything nicely 

From the different names they call each other, old hairpin, new hairpin, all the various times that he protected her

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4362395973747287

I just couldn't see the kissing scene on the forehead. 

Def love this version. Don’t know how many times I have watched it. Of course there are some cons but the pros outweigh the cons big time. I ship them so hard. What am I to do now?

1 minute ago, bluesky888 said:

I just couldn't see the kissing scene on the forehead. 

I don’t think he kissed her forehead either. It looks like he just turnt his head a little but it’s super close to her forehead so it appear like he did. But I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AppleBanana said:

Def love this version. Don’t know how many times I have watched it. Of course there are some cons but the pros outweigh the cons big time. I ship them so hard. What am I to do now?

I don’t think he kissed her forehead either. It looks like he just turnt his head a little but it’s super close to her forehead so it appear like he did. But I could be wrong. 

That what i thought he just turn his head toward her forehead. But I don't think it there a kiss on her forehead.

This WJ-MinMin stuck in my head now and can't find any C-drama to replace it. i keep go back and re-watched their scenes together.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chipz03 said:

Edited to add:

Have anyone watched the MV posted by Joseph in his Weibo? It's heavily focused on WJ/MM and I love the song used.  Nicely done MV:love:

Wait, the MV was posted by or made by Joseph?!!

It's awesome- it is very ZWJ/ZM centric, and it would be TOTALLY EPIC if Joseph is also a ZWJ/ZM shipper!   Please someone ask Joseph on his weibo if that's true??!  (He did say that he really liked ZWJ as a character and has been a fan for many years before he took on this project)

Edit: IF Joseph is a ZWJ/ZM shipper, then I'd request 3 things from him *hahaha.. just like ZM had 3 request for ZWJ!*

1. For him to shoot a fan-made (him-made) MV with Yukee as ZWJ/ZM to celebrate them (I'm sure any number of pepole in China will offer to be their camera(wo)men and make-up artists etc.)

2. That he offer to voice over some of the online MV's made by other fans with cute things that ZWJ could be saying

3. That he and Yukee shoot some fanservice pictures in modern clothing for fans

Who amongst us has weibo and can make the requests  to him directly??!

Edit 2: Can you imagine? If you were an actor/actress and had always loved an OTP from a book, and one day you were offered the chance to act as one of the OTP in a huge production?  A dream come true! (The ultimate fan fantasy!)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, bluesky888 said:

That what i thought he just turn his head toward her forehead. But I don't think it there a kiss on her forehead.

This WJ-MinMin stuck in my head now and can't find any C-drama to replace it. i keep go back and re-watched their scenes together.

Same here. The director, scriptwriter and JZ-YC combo successfully brought us this epic (engraved in my heart, carved in my bones) kind of love story moment by moment.

I love MM unfaltering love for her WJ. I love WJ who time and time again tried and failed to not act on his feeling and I also love WJ who finally let go and decided to love MM freely come hell or high water.

But what I love more than everything is that both manage to stay true to who they are till the end, maybe not as wide eyed naive as when they first met but true nonetheless.

• Like 6

I got no weibo account, sorry :tears:. Not sure too if WJ made the MV :D

At the beginning of the video,  there's a voice over.  Are they WJ and ZM voices?  Anybody can recognize what they said? Thanks first and foremost :lol:

31 minutes ago, penforella said:

Same here. The director, scriptwriter and JZ-YC combo successfully brought us this epic (engraved in my heart, carved in my bones) kind of love story moment by moment.

Joseph as Linghu Chong and Yuqi as Ren Yingying in the next adaptation of SPW.  Someone make it happen!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AppleBanana said:

What’s SPW? I’ll def all for it if they are in another drama.

Smiling, Proud Wanderer aka Xiao Ao Jiang Hu.  We just had a SPW last year though so I doubt we'll be getting another one so soon.  It's just my wishful thinking.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, vicious219 said:

Smiling, Proud Wanderer aka Xiao Ao Jiang Hu.  We just had a SPW last year though so I doubt we'll be getting another one so soon.  It's just my wishful thinking.

last year version was awful.  the cast is not that great. I don't mind they make another one with Joseph & Yukee.

• Like 1

First time watching Joseph. He did a good job. I've always liked Yukee, especially in ancient/wuxia series. Too bad I will have to pass on Past Life and Life though. Ill just re-watch this one. I'm super weird when it comes to watching series with leads I like. If I dont like one of the leads, I can't get into it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, takeu2themoon said:

Yes, I remember that was the only scene that I felt ZM annoying.

I think if they insisted on with the assassination plot they should have add very much more details for the resolution, didn't have to be sweet scenes, but must be reasonable, I mean, you had the heroin's father killed before her, and this is Wuxia after all, it's not supposed to be easy, right? 4-5 minutes is impossible.

The assassination and the last episode was disappointing to me.  I would be less critical and wouldn’t care if it wasn’t a remake of a classic.  If they were going to change the entire ending, at least do it right.  From a romance perspective, if they wanted to disprove that identity didn’t matter, they didn’t do a good job here.  The assassination definitely showed that the politics was able to drive a wedge in their relationship.  WJ could have salvaged it if he truly kept his word that he was sure he could give up everything to be with ZM right after the Ming sect went behind his back.  Obviously, his followers would have been fine leading the revolution themselves if they were able to plot against the Mongolians.  His hesitation to leave time after time his followers went behind his back didn’t leave a good impression on me to be truly satisfied with the ending.  At least in past adaptations, WJ faced the dilemma of choosing between ZM or Ming toward the end so the way they went about WJ choosing ZM over Ming was not wishy washy.  It didn’t get dragged out like it did in this one.  So although this version may have portrayed more romance between WJ and ZM, the way it led WJ to reunite with ZM in Mongolia in the end was rather flat to me.  I know each viewer sees things differently so if most got happy feels about this version, then that’s great.  I just really wish I could...I just can’t get there.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, vicious219 said:

Joseph as Linghu Chong and Yuqi as Ren Yingying in the next adaptation of SPW.  Someone make it happen!

I love this idea!! They are the best match for Linghu chong and ren yingying!! 

I can't move on until both of them did another series together!!! 

Guess what, i just rewatch the sole tickling scene up till end of snake island, all over again! 

Am so happy to know so many of you here are fans of both 1986 & 2019 versions ZWJ ZM shippers