[Drama 2018] Miss Hammurabi, 미스 함무라비

0ly40

Yong Jun(?) is kinda starting to annoy me because he keeps popping up out of nowhere and I think he likes OR but she doesn’t seem interested. And then when he poured the bowl up to the rim with alcohol even though OR said BR doesn’t drink. 

Man, BR’s face when he saw all those bags that YJ bought for OR broke my heart. I guess he heard it all when the ajummas were talking to OR about her maybe liking BR and she refuted their claims and that broke my heart again. I can’t wait to watch the next episode when BR refuses to not go with OR. Really, her relationship with her mother breaks my heart (third time) when she says that she’s disappearing from her mother’s memories. 

I just love how this show is highlighting the theme of family. BR’s mom and dad, OR’s grandma, ajummas and her mom, presiding judge and his daughters and this epidode’s case.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, maplinh said:

Yong Jun(?) is kinda starting to annoy me because he keeps popping up out of nowhere and I think he likes OR but she doesn’t seem interested. And then when he poured the bowl up to the rim with alcohol even though OR said BR doesn’t drink. 

Man, BR’s face when he saw all those bags that YJ bought for OR broke my heart. I guess he heard it all when the ajummas were talking to OR about her maybe liking BR and she refuted their claims and that broke my heart again. I can’t wait to watch the next episode when BR refuses to not go with OR. Really, her relationship with her mother breaks my heart (third time) when she says that she’s disappearing from her mother’s memories. 

I just love how this show is highlighting the theme of family. BR’s mom and dad, OR’s grandma, ajummas and her mom, presiding judge and his daughters and this epidode’s case.

It is undeniable that YJ is pursuing OR. The fact that he helped the halmoni by giving much more than money than requested, that he signed for the same class (sign language) gives us a clue that he wants to close the gap between them. YJ thinks that OR only suffered financially or better said that the social fall touched her very hard. However, her real wounds are different and much deeper: she is more affected by her mother's illness and the sexual harassment. YJ has no idea about it, whereas OR already confided to IBR. 

When YJ poured some alcohol for IBR, his intention was pretty clear: he showed that he wasn't giving up on OR. Notice that when YJ invited OR to dine last time, he included IBR because he saw him as OR's colleague. Yet, IBR clearly showed him that he was more than a colleague because he paid the bill, although YJ had invited them. With this gesture, IBR outlined that YJ couldn't buy him. YJ is aware that IBR is interested in OR, yet he doesn't know that they met each other in high school. 

Poor BR! OR does like BR but it's just that she is not ready(with her mother' illness, etc.), and she does not want to hole BR back. It really gets me thinking about the two OST songs "Somehow, Someday" and "You Are the Apple of My Eye". Some of the lyrics are really talking about the relationship between OR and BR. I feel like 'Somehow, Someday' is the reflection of BR's thoughts now. Hoping that someday he will be alright(with the pain from OR's rejection, but at the same time he couldn't stop himself to care about her and to help her..). And for OR, she keeps denying that BR on the surface, which BR truly believes she does not like him, but I do think she likes him! I hope there will be a moment in the remaining episodes that has her screaming "it's always been you, I'm so in love with you!!" to BR just like in the song 'You are the Apple of My Eye'. :wub:

@gclala

I feel that O Reum has some feelings for Ba Reun deep down in her heart but she has no time to think of her true feelings. She is not aware at this point that she has feelings for him. Why else would Ba Reun make her heart flutter at times? And why else would she smile when Ba Reun gave her the present for her birthday? All these show me that O Reum does like Ba Reun but has too much problems to admit and deal with it.

Love persists and I think Ba Reun will buy his way to her heart by being there for her. I also want O Reum to tell Ba Reun that she also likes him....soon. :)

I have already watched 7 episodes of this series,  but I have rewatched it together with my family,  and boy,  I just love their reactions. 

You see,  I have seen several law dramas before.  All of them has been focusing on the victim's perspective.  But this is the first court drama that made such a connection with me in a emotional level,  to the point that sometimes,  people who we're tagged as perpetrators can become victims.

One thing I appreciate the most about this series is that it will not give you a clue on who's the victim, unless a case has been decided. I was caught up in the first two episodes when Oh Reum has been dealing with a woman who claimed that she already paid for her debt although in reality,  she didn't,  and she's  just using Oh Reum's kindness to her advantage. 

I just love how the way different characters deliver their lines when their integrity is being put on the line. The dialogue exchange between characters are so realistic, it makes you want to question your views on how a legal system works. It's so refreshing for a legal drama,  and I am saying this considering that I have seen a number of legal series,  but ending up not getting my whole attention. 

I have seen L act on "The Emperor: The ruler of the mask". He's such a good actor considering his background as a member of an idol group. And you know, there is a stigma among the K-entertainment industry that idols are not good actors.  But his acting is so impeccable in this series,  he just broke the stigma. There are concerns that he looks so young to be casted as a judge,  and he said once that acting as a judge is difficult.  But it doesn't show in the series. That's how good he is in this drama.

And Go Ah-ra's portrayal of her character is just so wonderful. She can be emotional sometimes,  but I think you can feel her sincerity in doing what is just,  something that her seniors have failed to do. There are times when I feel that her character is too idealistic to be working as a court judge.  At the same time,  I do feel that characters like her is something that is needed in real life courts. 

And Sung Dong-il,  how can he be such a cool ahjussi?  He's so harsh in making court decisions,  but he is so weak with his wife.  How can you not give him lots of love?  No wonder he' s on top of popularity rankings together with L and Ah Ra. 

Seriously,  I was hesitant in watching the series.  But after giving it a try,  I think that I fell in love with the show that I cannot wait for a new episode to come . I mean,  how can a Korean Court drama be this relatable and genuine? Then,  when you realize that it was written by a lawyer,  and was serialized on The Hankyoreh,  and was picked up by JTBC to become a series,  this is actually not surprising at all.  

@xyr enc

I enjoy reading your views.  :)

At times, I wonder if Sung Dong-il had not been cast as Judge Han, would the drama have that same impact, aside from the awesome chemistry of L and Go Ara. He is such an experienced actor and brings some comic relief as well, which he is good at, by the way. Coupled with his chemistry with Ara from Reply 1994 and Hwarang, and L's and Ara's awesome chemistry as the lead actor and actress, together they bring out the best of the best written script by a real judge.

The terms used in the legal sense are definitely difficult. Plus the way it's delivered - you need to have an authoritative delivery and a deep voice and L hit it right with his awesome, manly voice. As he said in Knowing Brothers, his voice changed due to his drama and the cast gave him credit for his acting and deep voice. And by the way, L has a food trauma with Jiajiangmian yet he's so professional that he ate it a couple of times in the drama, as requested in the script. He overate when he was younger and would throw out after the meals. Again, his professionalism is awesome as he said he did it for acting. Even Ara was shocked and felt bad that he had to go through that. 

Go Ara is a beautiful person and very relatable as the girl next door, despite emerging as the winner in a Beauty and Dance contest in SM. There were 8,000 participants at the same contest and Ara came out top. Thes are all shared in Knowing Brothers. Yet we see that she's so humble. Her acting, singing and dancing skills are all awesome, especially if you've seen "Reply 1994" and "Papa". As Judge Park, she's so passionate to the point of being impulsive and only focused on helping the weak. But we see that she has learnt since then, from Ba Reun and Judge Han, to reign in her emotions and consider all the views from both the perpetrators and the victims before making a decision. Go Ara has come a long way, when SM wasn't doing its part to nurture her.

I'm very selective with K-dramas as most of the time, it's about vindictiveness and hatred. The loud emotional actings are quite bad for the health, as L said that he, too, did not feel well after some emotional scenes before. But I give Miss Hammurabi many thumbs up because of the well-written,realistic and relatable script; because of the 3 Judges' wonderful and funny chemistry and also, its great supportive cast, with acting that is not over the top, just nice - enough to make you wait eagerly to see what happens next and next; enough to make you want more romance between the 2 lead co-stars.

The great camaraderie between L and Ara is a bonus. Their aura is impeccable.

L had said that Ara is full of energy from start till end, very bright, and hardly stay quiet, even talking to herself when alone...lol. And he also revealed that she has the taste of an old person with her food choice, eating stuff like red bean jellies, milk candies and red bean bread. It's this deep understanding between co-stars that can bring out the realistic and natural dynamics as a couple in a drama.

I hope more international fans will come to know and love this drama as much as I do and frankly, I think it deserves higher ratings for its excellent story and awesome acting. I wish to see both L and Ara in variety shows because that's where we really get to see their true selves - funny and relaxed. Best if they do overseas promotions together to boost the drama.  :D

On 6/13/2018 at 1:28 AM, Wideocean said:

It killed me when she said that she didn't think Im Ba Reun was her type in ep 7. (And here I am head over heals in love with him). Although I do understand her point of view, she probably thinks her ideal type is an inspiring, rituous and courageous straightforward professor who inspires us to run a cause at some point during our university years. But who we really need most of the times is not that ideal type. Like Im Ba Reun here doesn't fit that ideal type yet he is all that she really needs in her life. Can't wait for her to start liking him and him going crazy with over filling emotions!

Amen to this, he really tries to understand her, put himself in her place. A man like this is gold. It seems already she is going out of her way to tell everyone he is not the one. 

VpHqNrL.png

She has to see what a great guy he is, he is handsome tooembarrassed1-onion-head-emoticon.gif

pqrFNtv.png

3ykPsyF.png

Two L's are better than onecrazy-monkey-emoticon-201.gif  He is actually getting good reviews for his acting! I'm so happy for him.

@nonskidragonhiplz.gif?1 Please feel free to barge in anytime! I'm happy you are watching this drama too. I'm a little afraid about now having next week start out w/last week's ending episode. I hope it does not affect the flow or the ratings.

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2018/06/sung-dong-il-tops-brand-value-ranking-for-actors-in-june-go-ara-and-park-min-young-follow

So Sung Dong-il (number 1) and Go Ara (number 2) top the brand value ranking in June. (Happy reunion of Reply 1994!) L is also in the list too. Kudos to the success of Miss Hammurabi for getting the recognition it deserves in SK. This brand reputation ranking is quite significant, since it speaks the popularity of the drama, and how much the drama is being discussed across all different platforms. (For instance, in May, the two leads from Something in the Rain topped the chart). MH does not do a lot of promotions compared to others. It's not a rom-com either. It is the solid "content" of the drama that defines its success. 

From my observation, the first three episodes succeed in attracting audience who don't watch TV dramas. The most viewed clip under naver TV remains to be the subway scene where OR manhandles manspreading. LOL. ( I wish I had her courage to deal with the rampant manspreading when I commute everyday in NYC!)

As I mentioned earlier,  MH is a drama that caters specifically to the local audience. I am the least concerned about the drama does not get much buzz outside SK. Judge Moon's books also become the bestsellers in online bookstores of SK. I just hope that the drama continues its fabulous depictions of case studies, SK society,  and the growth of our rookie judges. (I was a bit disappointed at the execution of episode 6 but episode 7 is back on its right track). 

Can't wait for the three episodes next week!

12 hours ago, stargazer187 said:

Well, my first post here. Gotta give some thoughts after watching several eps of this. 

I like the story and I like the pace. And how they come on terms with the cases. 

I am curious how PCOR end up being spunky judge despite of her introvert and quiet personality in the past. 

I think it is related to sexual harassment that she experience when she was in high school (with her tutor,  on Episode 3, I guess) and while working as a pianist. I think if she did not experience those,  she might ended up being a musician,  as she once mentioned that she might be the first judge that is a music major.

I also think that her grandma must have influenced her in taking such route,  and she once thanking her grandma for standing up with her,  explaining that she was one if the reasons why she bacame a lawyer. 

But her mother doesn't seem to approve it.  Because in episode 2, she was disappointed when she saw Oh Reum's ID,  but then smiled back when she saw a pianist playing  on TV.  Chances are,  maybe Oh Reum really wants to as a lawyer or a judge to begin with, but because of her mom,  she had initially decided to become a music major (which she apparently did not finish)  but in the end she went back to become a judge based on her experience. 

Hello to everyone (waves hand)! I should have joined earlier in this forum but for some reason can't access my old account so I needed to make another. Btw, an international fan here showing my support to this amazing drama. Guess this would be my second time on Soompi after SWDBS^^.

Been a long time fan of Ara, I really like her inside and out. Have watched some of her dramas, and I admit there were some of hers that I prefer not watching too, prolly cause of her character being poorly written, etc. And I just wish I could watch her in a drama with a well-written character, and then poof, I came across this recent drama of hers and I just love love her character, finally she found the best writer for her. And I hope she works for the best writers from now on.

I'm just in love with this drama, enough to join you guys here, (prefer to just read the comments^^). It's very realistic and you can certainly relate to it one way or another. And of course, I just love the chemistry between L and Ara, man, I didn't know that L would be just the perfect lead for her. Too bad, this is not a romance-focused drama, I know some would want skinships between them (like me!), we would be lucky to have a kiss, or a hug scene, or even holding hands. This is what chemistry is all about, even just stares and glances, you can feel that spark between them, how much more if they had a kiss scene, it'll certainly just explodes ke ke ke ke. I totally ship them, hope to see them in a romance drama, even though that would be like a one in a million chance, but who knows?^^

Looking forward more to the romance development of Ba Reun and Oh Reum, esp. when Oh Reum finally falls for Ba Reun, too.  Ba Reun's heart won't handle that, for sure :wub:

@lightbringer06

Hi there! Totally love your post and my feelings regarding L and Ara are exactly the same as you! :)

You're right - I would be very happy too, if they could just hold hands or share a close hug. I'm hoping but not expecting a kiss because I don't really know how cable tv works. It'll be great if I could catch a tight hug! And yes, if they were to share a kiss.....it'll be mind-blowing!    :D

I'm happy though, that their chemistry is really good off screen as well. You can hear them laughing loudly together. 

I'm also looking forward to more romance between Ba Reun and O Reum and can't wait to see O Reum realizing that she actually love him! While I love the realistic nature of the script and its execution,  it would be even more realistic if the 2 judges' love lives could be shared with its viewers, because they're also human. Like you, I'd love to catch them in a romance drama too, though it'll be very difficult for them to be cast together again. Don't know why S Korea ent industry seldom practice the same co-stars drama.....

Miss Hammurabi never fails to amaze me episode after episode. I'm always waiting eagerly for the next episode. I had a good laugh in ep 7 when that woman's mascara was dripping down her face! lol....the PD sure knows how to add humor to the serious court cases. And Ba Reun suggesting that Judge Han is left-handed.... :D

@jl08 Glad I share the same thoughts and feelings with you^^. Truly, this is a great drama, love the humors and every aspect of it. 

I think the only drama couple who partnered twice in kdrama are Ji Sung and Hwang Jung Eum, though they were the second choice for Kill Me Heal Me. So maybe there's a chance in the future as well for them. Well, if not on screen, then off screen would be much better even (shipping mode ^.^)..though am not sure if Ara is into younger guys  :D

Oh, and I think they both went to Japan for a vacation. I saw it on their IG. I wonder if it's just a coincidence...hmm..

@lightbringer06

L had his 2nd Fanmeet in Tokyo. Ara was on vacation in Japan. They deserve a good break after the filming of this beautiful drama though Myung Soo's wasn't a break. But I think he had a good time with his fans.  :)

Did you catch the bts? I'm enjoying all the bts very much! I hope they'll show us more. I marvel at the judge who wrote the book and adapt it into the TV series. Plus all the right cast. Such dramas are hard to come by, where one can relate and laugh and cry as the story goes along. I wonder if O Reum's mum will be able to recover one day? Maybe something big happens? Usually you need a big traumatic jolt that might do the trick.. I pity O Reum for her upside down world...must have been so tough for her. 

Ba Reun finding out the actual situation about his dad.....it was touching. I'm glad he did so that he's not under the wrong impression of his dad. It's nice to show us the judges' family and their bond with them. Ba Reun should be able to feel better now. 

@0ly40

Thanks for the vids on ep 8 and preview for 9. 

The last part where Ba Reun offered to accompany O Reum to visit her mum is touching. He's really there for her, despite her not returning his feelings for now. He's such an unselfish guy. I like Ba Reun's expressive, intense stare when he was listening to O Reum talking about her mum. Not just this ep but previous ep as well. L nails his acting here.  Ara's emotional scenes are beautiful too - nothing over the top. It's so realistic that it's easy to cry along with her...lol.

I'm waiting for the English sub eagerly. 

I am lucky they subbed ep 8 very fast. Ba Reun and O Reum and Han Se Sang ..and all supporting cast are doing a wonderful job of realistically acting and portraying  daily slice of their life as judges, children, parents .... their obligations and their humanity . Kudos to the  entire team for giving us a drama that makes sense to the life we all live in.   In the young poet we see a beautiful and sensitive soul destroyed in the name of love and progress , without seeing his beauty and the gift he brings to the collective. 

Archived