[Drama 2018] Miss Hammurabi, 미스 함무라비

0ly40

@AlexandraReid

Thanks for the enjoyable BTS!   :D

I see that L and Ara have awesome off screen chemistry to the point of being so comfortable with each other and this will make their relationship in the drama more credible. 

Pending the Eng sub, I wonder why Ba Reun has tears in his eyes at the end of ep 6......curious. 

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@philosophie Nice to see you again! :D 

Wow guys, I was crying so much during episode 6. Poor poor O Reum... She rejected Ba Reun but I must say I understand her. Her life is a mess right now. Her mother is ill and she has to pay her father's debt. It's not easy. On top of that she is still traumatized be the incident with the piano teacher. I think she needs more time to accept his feelings. And whhaaa I admire Ba Reun's courage to confess. To be honest I didn't see it coming. During that scene tears were rolling down my cheeks because I saw how hurt they both were. 

I appreciate that the story is so realistic. Let's be honest. In many dramas the female lead accepts male lead's feelings without hesitation. But in real life it's not that easy. It is much more complicated. Mister writernim, you're a genius. 

On 6/4/2018 at 7:22 PM, dramamania said:

Hot Topic Ranking (5th Week of May)

Drama:

#1 Miss Hammurabi

Drama Performer:

#1 Go Ara

#2 Kim Myung Soo

Same as the previous week! :D

Miss Hammurabi is popular in SK but why not well known in the international audience?:huh:

I guess, this is normal because the series itself offers an existential look on how small legal claims are being handled in South Korea, and the producers must have anticipated that international audience in general will not be able to get some of the things that will be shown in the series.

Beside, I feel like JTBC isn't concerned about expanding their market oversees for now when they are seeing great results locally, because right now, majority of their income comes from domestic product sales and local ad revenues. They have beaten MBC in primetime demos for almost a year already (excluding the olympics week), and their domestic sales are higher than MBN, TV Chosun and Channel A combined.

Also, unlike the big 3 and tvN, they don't have an avenue to showcase their programs internationally (like an international cable channel) aside from partnering up with online platforms like DramaFever, Netflix and Viu (in Asian countries). So its no surprise that their international presence is somewhat lacking compared to other stations.

But I can see the beauty of this, because JTBC doesn't have to put so much effort in promoting their shows outside South Korea - The international community finds them on their own. To begin with, that is how JTBC started. They rarely promote their show, and instead, let their viewers do the talking. They even rarely do press releases on how they are doing ratings wise - The press are looking for it themselves.

I guess, more than getting lots of viewers, JTBC wants to get few but loyal viewers. And this makes sense in their current business model because the more loyal the viewers are, the more likely that they will stick with JTBC even when the commercials are on. They are most likely to support the products being endorsed on JTBC, which will bring them money, and in return, produce more high quality program. There are lots of programs that rate well not because the viewers are so much invested in the story, but because they are just fans of thise stars in that series. But the problem is that these viewers may continue supporting these stars, but will most likely to drop their series and look for better ones. JTBC doesn't want that, that's why they are more focused on creating quality shows, which the public will promote on their own.

But who knows? JTBC might find its footing globally thru a cable channel. They are just 6 and a half years old and they have surpassed MBC in the primetime demographic ratings, so I am sure that they will find better success globally in the future.

Back to the drama, I really really like how they uncover the behind the scenes in court cases. I am not surprised because the writer who penned the series is actually a lawyer.

And GO Ara and L's chemistry is TO DIE FOR!:lol:

Goodness me, is it because the drama writer is not normally a drama writer? I have actually been enjoying the court stories and not bothered to even support for an OTP romance. In this instance I thought that just having a romance for the sake of having a romance, is actually a disservice to the writing. I like the writing and the thoughts behind the actions in each episode.

Episode 6 turned so melancholy suddenly when I thought the writer was pushing for a love angle. The ending was so sad. Real but still so sad.

Darn, I like this judge/ writer. I have read court entries before and know how hard Korean judges work, this drama makes me half wish my kids would be a judge then veer away from even contemplating them ever working so hard. S Korean judges work hard, and they have an incredible workload. I know a lot of dramas potray judges and politicians badly. There are good and bad people in each profession. As for me, I have great respect so far for their work ethics and the tenacity in which they handle the process. So... this comment are for the real judges. And the writer. Not for Kdrama or fictional judges.

No comments at all for the cast and acting. I was just passing through and real life prevents me from indulging in the usual comments about acting or actors. Or chemistry.

8 hours ago, chatterbox22 said:

She rejected Ba Reun but I must say I understand her. Her life is a mess right now. Her mother is ill and she has to pay her father's debt. It's not easy. On top of that she is still traumatized be the incident with the piano teacher. I think she needs more time to accept his feelings. And whhaaa I admire Ba Reun's courage to confess

Me too. I did not see the confession coming from Ba Reun. Looking back, I think there were push factors in this episode along the way - O Reum's senior, the secretary and the congressman. It probably made him realised that he should know something about the woman he likes. I totally agree with you that O Reum's life is a mess right now and she's having such a hard time, as in her own words "I guess I couldn't afford to notice those things". Poor girl.

The ending is so sad. Ba Reun's tears in his eyes...there's something so touching there coming from him who has such a strict image. He got me there. I cried hard seeing them in that sad mode and what with "star-crossed" and "whose is the sadder" ...gosh. Must they do that? lol... But it's really very intense and real and I think L and Ara nailed it. The piano music, the mood and the thoughts and expressions are all in sync with a great drama.

This drama is full of surprises and has many emotional and beautiful moments. The love story stems from the fact that even judges are humans and they do fall in love, along the way in their high profile job. The romance depicts the human emotions rather than robots simply handling court cases and listening to parties involved. I think it's such a realistic masterpiece and the writer did not pass off romance for the sake of pleasing the viewers. It depicts the fact that people remember some things they have yet to accomplish and forget those things that they've accomplished and that includes first love and its feelings. 

Even the judges have their own personal stories. Isn't that a wonderful reality? I really love this writer and I hope it'll be a happy ending in all aspects.   :)

@xyr enc

Totally agree with you that Go Ara's and L's chemistry is To Die For! In whatever scenes that they are in, they nail it together!    :D

im biased but.. poor ba reun stutter and got nervous cos of oh reum (she is too friendly :D)  .. she loves me.. she loves me not.. she loves me.. (lucky withered rose!)

poor L had a sad ending with Kim So Hyun in Ruler of the Mask :huh:.. and now heartbrokened again here..

and, dun you think actually do yeon’s earphones isnt playing any music?? its just a gesture like “im done with talking” lol

@sadthe1st

I think it's gonna be a good ending cos bts showed them cycling and if you recall, O Reum mentioned that it's a nice view at the Han River and Ba Reum wanted to invite her but freak out....lol. So my guess is they might be together at the end because remember O Reum said he did make her heart flutter? I think she'll realised that she like him without knowing it cos she is too busy with her own problems to take note of his feelings at this moment.

That is my wish for a happy ending because Ba Reun and O Reum deserve to find happiness in their personal lives too, besides ironing out problems for others. Let's keep our fingers crossed!   :D

My other wish is for more fans of Miss Hammurabi to post their thoughts and share their views here. Unity in strength to support Miss Hammurabi and its actors -  L, Ara and Sung Dong II.  :)

32 minutes ago, jl08 said:

My other wish is for more fans of Miss Hammurabi to post their thoughts and share their views here. Unity in strength to support Miss Hammurabi and its actors -  L, Ara and Sung Dong II.  :)

hahaha i have to say, sometimes we wait v long for good dramas to come along and times like this, there seems to be a few good ones showing at the same time!!! :lol: (one of my legs is balancing over at the AYHT boat.. lol)

10 hours ago, jl08 said:

Me too. I did not see the confession coming from Ba Reun. Looking back, I think there were push factors in this episode along the way - O Reum's senior, the secretary and the congressman. It probably made him realised that he should know something about the woman he likes. I totally agree with you that O Reum's life is a mess right now and she's having such a hard time, as in her own words "I guess I couldn't afford to notice those things". Poor girl.

The ending is so sad. Ba Reun's tears in his eyes...there's something so touching there coming from him who has such a strict image. He got me there. I cried hard seeing them in that sad mode and what with "star-crossed" and "whose is the sadder" ...gosh. Must they do that? lol... But it's really very intense and real and I think L and Ara nailed it. The piano music, the mood and the thoughts and expressions are all in sync with a great drama.

This drama is full of surprises and has many emotional and beautiful moments. The love story stems from the fact that even judges are humans and they do fall in love, along the way in their high profile job. The romance depicts the human emotions rather than robots simply handling court cases and listening to parties involved. I think it's such a realistic masterpiece and the writer did not pass off romance for the sake of pleasing the viewers. It depicts the fact that people remember some things they have yet to accomplish and forget those things that they've accomplished and that includes first love and its feelings. 

Even the judges have their own personal stories. Isn't that a wonderful reality? I really love this writer and I hope it'll be a happy ending in all aspects.   :)

@xyr enc

Totally agree with you that Go Ara's and L's chemistry is To Die For! In whatever scenes that they are in, they nail it together!    :D

I totally feel you! The ending of Ep 6 was too sad! Ba Reun was on the verge of tears!!! And O Reum must be struggling inside while she was playing that piano, trying to pour all that sadness out and saying those unspoken words to Ba Reun through that song...

15 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

Episode 6 turned so melancholy suddenly when I thought the writer was pushing for a love angle. The ending was so sad. Real but still so sad.

Actually Episode 6 is still about a discussion on a legal issue concerning "The Right to Be Forgotten" and "The Right to Know." The writer outperforms himself again by weaving seamlessly together the legal issue with the romance between the fictional characters in the drama, between Oh Reum and Ba Reun, between the Secretary and Judge Jung. 

"The Right to be Forgotten" is one of the underlying concepts of EU' Data Protection Law against the erosion of privacy in the era of open Internet. The Right to be Forgotten argues that an individual should have an autonomous right to their past, without risking their past actions and speeches being exposed, circulated as public information or scrutinized under public gaze, since they can be abused as a means of cyberbullying, or  violation of freedom of speech, privacy, and intellectual property rights. (Google actually lost the landmark case this April) 

The writer approaches the issue from a nuanced, delicate personal level. The case in question is a up-and-coming politician wanting to protecting his right to be forgotten, not for the sake of keeping his political profile intact, but to contain the damage of how the past memory of his college sweetheart, as evidenced by the photo, has hurt his dying wife. It is natural to assume that the public has the right to know, especially with regard to political figures, but this photo was taken way before he officially entered the public life. What he wants to put into oblivion is nothing related to his public persona, but the memories of her emotional and family life. 

in an everyday, interpersonal context, "The Right to be Forgotten" and "The Right to Know" become even more complex issues. In the bar, the secretary rebuffs Bo Wang's nosy questions by asserting her right to her private life, even though she knows that Bo Wang is interested in her.  Especially nowadays, one can easily search anyone's else information through Internet, through Instagram, through FB. I know that many people often first google their love interests before considering getting involved.It is totally understandable that one has desire to know more about one's love interest, what kind of boyfriends of girlfriends they have, what kind of family backgrounds they come from. However, does that risk disrespecting the other's right to their privacy and memory,  especially if their past is something so traumatic that they want to forget and leave behind, like Oh Reum's? 

This is why Ba Reun's confession scene is so poignant. His confession has several layers of meanings. On the one hand, he is keenly aware of how he knows nothing about Oh Reum, after the secretary reminds him. He projects his rose-tinted fantasy (as portrayed by hilarious scenes of him playing with rose petals)  onto Oh Reum by painting her to be a long-haired princess who plays piano beautifully.  Secondly, he is inspired by the politician who wants to fulfill his obligation to forget---because he fails to forget his college sweetheart, the memory comes back to haunt his wife in the form of a photo. Ba Reun wants to know more about Oh Reum,  partly because he likes Oh Reum, and also partly because he wants to leave behind an askew image of Oh Reum. 

Oh Reum's response, at first, seems to a defense of her privacy. After hearing Ba Reun's confession, she makes her position clear. But then, what really made me tear up is when she opens up herself to Ba Reun by revealing her family tragedies. We as audience already know what happened through flashbacks, but her willingness to share the memory she wants to forget is a significant breakthrough in their relationship. Then, the most tender, beautiful moment arrives when Ba Reun recognizes her pain and tells her not to go on. He doesn't keep pegging her with questions, but apologizes instead for evoking her painful memory. He cheers her on and promises to stop her if she makes missteps at work. In other words, he respects her right to her past and memory. 

Contrary to the popular view, I see this confession scene as a big step forward, a real beginning for a relationship premised by mutual respect and understanding. Oh Reum used to seal herself off and dodge questions, when Ba Reun is curious why she needed to work part-time given that she's from a rich family. It is also noteworthy that Oh Reum doesn't rely on her rich sunbae for help, even when she receives a call from hospital in the restaurant. Now Ba Reun finally sees who Oh Reum really is--a kickass,  feisty woman who works like having nothing to lose, because she indeed has nothing left to begin with. She is as, if not more, vulnerable as he is.  He no longer puts her in a pedestal to be worshipped,  but on an equal footing. It might seem like that Ba Reun is rejected, but what is rejected is his wishful thinking of Oh Reum he constructs from the past. 

I can't wait for the blossoming for a mature, adult relationship. Kudos again to our fabulous writer who seems to build an OTP from the Kdramaland cliche of first love, but deconstructs, twists it beautifully. L and Ara's chemistry is also spot-on, without being saccharine sweet. Ba Reun and Oh Reum are great partners at work, and they will develop a beautiful companionship.

Now I really want to see how Ba Reun reminds Oh Reum to take care of herself first. She really has too much going on and it's miracle that she hasn't collapsed yet...

This case is up to the presiding judge in SK, as Koreans do not have the legal right to request the deletion of third-party content concerning them. The sob story of the plaintiff appeals to our emotions but does not stand in court. But did you see how BR reacted to the backstory? 

In case you're wondering how the right to be forgotten argument is handled by Google, it only applies to EU residents. For non-EU end users, they can delete their self-published data so that it will be removed from Google's search engine. However, their request for third-party content take-down will be denied, like what happened to me a year ago. The end users themselves must request the site's webmaster/owner to remove the said data, which presents a problem when the webmaster does not want to acquiesce.

22 hours ago, chatterbox22 said:

Wow guys, I was crying so much during episode 6. Poor poor O Reum... She rejected Ba Reun but I must say I understand her. Her life is a mess right now. Her mother is ill and she has to pay her father's debt. It's not easy. On top of that she is still traumatized be the incident with the piano teacher. I think she needs more time to accept his feelings. And whhaaa I admire Ba Reun's courage to confess. To be honest I didn't see it coming. During that scene tears were rolling down my cheeks because I saw how hurt they both were. 

Me too, it was just so sad I cried too chingu. I was sad for him and for her since it just seemed like it hurt her too. I hope she does accept his feelings they are just made for each other. This drama makes me so emotional just thinking about Star Crossed Lovers makes me tear up. 

1 hour ago, jeijei said:

This case is up to the presiding judge in SK, as Koreans do not have the legal right to request the deletion of third-party content concerning them. The sob story of the plaintiff appeals to our emotions but does not stand in court. But did you see how BR reacted to the backstory? 

That case really bothered me, the picture was taken at a public protest. The public does have a right to know in this case. The opposing attorney was right, pictures are more powerful than words. That politician can explain away his past all he wants but that picture is what would resonate w/the voters. It seems like they didn't care about it enough not to vote for him.  As far as his sob story is concerned, he's blaming the picture for his wife's sadness but what made her sad were his feelings towards that woman.  The fact that he still loved her more than his wife is on him. I didn't like BR's reaction towards his sob story at all. It seemed like he was going to rule in the politician's favor. It just didn't set right. I wonder if we will see the politician again trying to get BR to make another emotional decision in his favor. What will BR do?

@ohani Thank you for the explanation, just bringing The Right to be Forgotten concept up. I have never heard about it and had no idea that the EU has taken this as a part of their laws.  I have to say that there is a big difference between a picture of a public protest and what happened in Oh Reum's past. She was a victim of sexual abuse, I agree that her right to privacy supersedes the right of the public to know.  I find this Right to be Forgotten really interesting. 

I found this vid of Go Ara and L at an awards ceremony. They have some mad chemistry embarrassed1-onion-head-emoticon.gif

Spoiler

They are just adorable

On 6/4/2018 at 4:54 PM, jeijei said:

Miss Hammurabi OST/BGM list

Hey, Soompiers, let's compile the songs used in this drama~ 

The ending credits usually cite the songs. Unfortunately, I'm not proficient in Korean. So if you could help with that, jebal.

OST

Part 1 -  Hwang Sun Ho - Like We Just Met (그날처럼)

Part 2 - Illuwa Band - Every Day With You (일상, 그리고 너)

Part 3 - U-mb5 Feat. Hodge - Someday, Somehow 

Possible Part 4 - [An English song, "You are the apple of my eye" Ep 6]

Possible Part 5 [ BW's theme, Ep 6]

BGM

- Ravel - Bolero (Ep. 4, Ba Reun listens to a classical piece) (If you want an upbeat variation on the theme, listen to Tokyo et Paris)

- Frank Sinatra - Girl from Ipanema (Ep. 6, drinking at the bar, BW reveals BR's first love)

- Tahta Menezes - You've Got a Friend (Ep. 6, drinking at the bar, BW reveals BR's first love)

- Natalie Cole - For Sentimental Reasons (Ep. 6, BR and OR drinking)

- Melody of Star-crossed Lovers (Ep. 6, Ending scene, OR plays the piano)

Books

Franz Kafka - Metamorphosis

Thanks for compile a list. 

I will add a couple of items:

1.  Oh Reum's painting is lee jung seob‘ "Dancing Family"

https://news.artnet.com/exhibitions/lee-jung-seob-art-retrospective-korea-635615

2.  The metaphor of eggs breaking against the wall is a quote from Murakami Haruki's award speech when receiving Jerusalem Prize

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2009/feb/16/haruki-murakami-jerusalem-prize

3. The poetry Ba Reun recites in episode 6 

"Aedh Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven" by Yeats 

https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/aedh-wishes-cloths-heaven

4. The piano Oh Reum plays on stage ( in the flashback) 

Ravel's  Pavane pour une infante défunte (and hence resonating with Ba Reun's imagining Oh Reum as a princess)

@ohani That's beautifully written chingu, I agree with all my heart. Now that they clarified things between each other they  have a chance to actually start something new. O Reum is not a long-haired "princess" anymore. She is a grown-up woman who was through a lot.  And Ba Reun is also different from what O Reum was thinking about  him. In fact they have much more in common than they think. Ba Reun used to think of her as a rich girl from the good family and it created distance between them. They are both struggling to survive and be happy. I hope that these two will find their happines eventually.

A video recently posted by JTBC :) 

And a few more  pictures of them riding bikes together. It's probably from the last episode :)

Spoiler

@ohani

Thanks for sharing your in-depth views of the "Right to be forgotten" and the "Right to know". It is enlightening and I can understand their situations better.  Agree that the confession and heartbreaking rejection was indeed a breakthrough in Ba Reun' and O Reum's relationship. It's paves the way for a more open discussion between them in future because Ba Reun asked and O Reum trusted him with her personal issues. He knows when to pull the plug and that makes it comfortable for her to share her story without feeling  that he was prying . 

I think that O Reum's admission that he does make her heart flutter speaks a lot about her subconsciousness - that deep down she does have feelings for him but she did not allow herself to dwell on it as she had too much on her plate to cope with. Plus her molest experience might push it even further down. Time heals and I believe she'll come to trust Ba Reun to be there for her and slowly come to terms with her feelings for him.

I admire Ba Reun for taking the rejection in his caring manner as he could see that she was pushing herself over the edge. He understood her plight. There's no need to go beyond. She could be near breaking point with her job bugging her as well. Ba Reun is such a cool guy because he put her first. How not to like him?  :)

@evie7

I saw that "mad chemistry" Baeksang Awards vid of L and Ara. They were in a world of their own. I saw the mature side of L there because he was composed and smiling, nodding his head at Ara because for some reasons, she was a bit nervous it seemed. Those moments seemed like L was the oppa and Ara was his dongsaeng. Lol...

It's their awesome chemistry that makes Miss Hammurabi shine because viewers can't help falling in love and riding the roller coaster with these 2 judges.

@chatterbox22

Thanks for the vids! That English song never fails to touch me. I'm so excited to see L and Ara in Knowing Brothers. The preview looks fun! :)

BR has a penchant for Kafka and Ravel. The former, he might have liked for existentialism, while the latter he might have purposefully acquired after OR played a Ravel. The piece which she played and which he's been trying to learn is Pavane for a Dead Princess (the "Titanic song"). Coincidentally, his memory of a young OR is of a quiet princess, and that imagery is obsolete. However, the piece is not a sad theme. It's actually a celebration of a dance form, a nostalgic evocation of how a young princess from centuries past could have danced the pavane. And true enough,  as he gradually makes progress in playing Pavane by ear, he silently celebrates the idyllic memories he had with his first love. 

On 6/5/2018 at 8:46 PM, xyr enc said:

Beside, I feel like JTBC isn't concerned about expanding their market oversees for now when they are seeing great results locally, because right now, majority of their income comes from domestic product sales and local ad revenues. They have beaten MBC in primetime demos for almost a year already (excluding the olympics week), and their domestic sales are higher than MBN, TV Chosun and Channel A combined.

Also, unlike the big 3 and tvN, they don't have an avenue to showcase their programs internationally (like an international cable channel) aside from partnering up with online platforms like DramaFever, Netflix and Viu (in Asian countries). So its no surprise that their international presence is somewhat lacking compared to other stations.

But I can see the beauty of this, because JTBC doesn't have to put so much effort in promoting their shows outside South Korea - The international community finds them on their own. To begin with, that is how JTBC started. They rarely promote their show, and instead, let their viewers do the talking. They even rarely do press releases on how they are doing ratings wise - The press are looking for it themselves.

Wow. Thank you for your information. But as far as I know, shows like "Something in the Rain" and "Secret Love Affairs" (밀회) by the same director were huge hits in China.  Sohu bought SLA and commercial platforms promoted Something in the Rain actively. Misty was also extremely popular.  With regard to Miss Hammurabi, Oh Reum's manhandling of sexual offender on the subway, also her change of clothing to challenge Judge Han were widely circulated on FB, Weibo. 

However, I do think that Miss Hammurabi caters specifically to its local Korean audience. For instance, in episode 3, the specific accusations in the court scene against the boss reflects directly--down to the details--the scandal of  Kim Yong-bin, the former head of Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival.The scandal broke out this March in the heat of #Metoo. Judge Moon (our writer) apparently updates his novel and inserts some contemporary references in the drama.

Variety magazine has a coverage of this scandal:  

https://variety.com/2018/film/asia/korean-sex-assault-crisis-deepens-cover-up-charges-festival-director-1202732384/

(That's why some conservatives labelled, and bashed this drama as a feminist drama, or even worse, a Megalia drama--in an unfair way)

For viewers outside Korea, episode 4 and 5 give a Misaeng vibe, but this is what is happening now in SK right now with the call for judicial reform within the court. 

In episode 6, "The Right to be Forgotten" remains a heated debate in Korea. When airing, some well-informed  Korean Audience immediately left on the TV bulletin board that this episode is all about "oblivion" and indeed, the law is first coined in French as le droit à l’oubli. It is worth noting that Judge Moon is not talking about KCC's policy per se with regard to internet use , but the philosophical thoughts and everyday ramifications, such as oblivion and memory. (I was astonished time after time--he indeed holds a degree from Harvard Law and he continues to be an avid reader!).  I really appreciate how he uses such an accessible approach to showcase how a civil law can relate to us on the most intimate level. 

For me, what really hits me hard though is when Ba Reun contemplates star-cross lovers from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, Oh Reum is thinking about her mother who no longer recognizers, remembers her or her grandma. Memory and cognition are what define us as human begins, specifically in legal sense. I had a family member who had Alzheimer's and thus deemed lacking"legal capacity." Before she passed away, not only was it hard for our family to witness her degenerate, we also had to go through a lot of legal hurdles to protect her assets so she could get the care she needed. (She didn't get power of attorney in time)  Like the ending of Episode 3, Judge Moon always manages to give an extra punch by showing us the limits, and the exclusive aspect of the law. 

Archived