Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2018] A Poem A Day / You Who Forgot Poetry, 시를 잊은 그대에게

This is one of those instances that I feel compelled to say, "Monday can't come soon enough!". 

@triplem I absolutely agree with you on being excited about this drama. The only thing that's allowing me to survive the week of waiting is because I'm also watching My Ahjusshi. Man, TVN is really delivering with these two dramas.

This is one of those rare gems, where you actually feel for the heroine. I'm happy when BY's happy: in love whenever I see her with her heart on sleeve; heartbroken when she gets rejected; cringing when she has a case of foot-in-mouth; angered when she's humiliated; and always... always wishing her the best fate. I didnt think I'd be able to root for the classic clumsy hard working heroine whose fate seems to be against her in the workplace and in love. And yet I did, because underneath all thay lies a her resilient spirit. I dont think I would've ever had the guts to confess the way she did and then had the courage to set boundaries with Ye to avoid miaunderstanding his feelings.

Only one other character comes to mind when that confession/rejection scene came about, Chen Song Yi. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

WBY actually had one of the most dignified responses I have seen on a Kdrama. Where she told YJW how she would get over him.

Way better than the drunken pojangmacha and soju drowning scenes. Or lately- we have been having the whiskey drinking at the bar scenes. Or the self pity scenes.

She has also been written as one of the genuinely nice albeit poor heroine. Who is not drowning in resentment, debts, chasing branded items or a guy with specs, has some self respect and is actually a functional human being. The number of Kdramas with down trodden heroines are ridiculous. And we haven't had screechy mothers. Or b*tchy 2nd leads.

Although the neurotic and indecisive radiographer does take the prize for being memorable. I watch agape sometimes at his behaviour. And am so tempted to send him for therapy.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

@ck1Oz  AMEN. I agree with you totally. BY is a refreshing breeze for the kdrama heroine landscape addition. You definitely watched your fair share of Korean dramas like I have. Thanks for sharing about how there are too many tropes used in dramas for the usual kdrama heroine.  But at least here though she is bumbling, she is brave/in touch with her feelings but empathetic with a refreshing honesty. Plus life lessons she learns from patients and then applies to her own situation (realizing they are not as BIG or serious in actuality).

She has healthy relationship with her mom though her family is not ideal. Her dad did pass away and had another son with another woman. BUT the fact her mom is gracious and treats that young man as her son is precious. Right there alone is a rarity. Yup on the not being left with tons of debt. We know she is not rich and we know she is frugal. But her debt is not like JA in MY Ajusshi (My Mister) or other heroines. Even of her roomie YJ level, she is living on enough to get buy and pay her bills to pay back her school bills (I presume).  When YJ asked JW to lend money to BY when she had none to lend her, she said---she is one who uses samples for make up not buying anything for herself or new clothing but she wants money to bring something home to mom. This is our BY. She wants to have a normal life and get FT so she will have more stable income and not be as unstable. She loves buffets but doesn't eat at them often and wants to eat at a hotel buffet. (I know in Korea they are very PRICEY. I was offered to be treated to one, I passed to go to a local beef bone soup place. My host was shocked I passed. Though very generous of him as he was my former student's dad, I wanted to eat local food.) When MH was going to buffet for what he thought to celebrate his BDAY but was not, he joked about treating BY. Then per usual fashion, said it as a joke and took it back.  Even when taken to her fave buffet place by MC to cheer her up, she was not cheered up. Poor MC thinking she is still worried and sad about losing the FT opportunity when she is nursing a broken heart. Yeah I wouldn't tell MC I am nursing a broken heart either. DEF something too personal to share.

Well she does drink when upset but alone and not in a pojangmacha, recall how MH found her at the bench but she had it seems like 2 containers/boxes of soju or beer (not sure). He thought she was drinking her sorrows away due to the losing the FT job opportunity with MC not leaving. But then he learned that she got rejected by JW. It was sweet he was worried about her (even though he did NOT want to go out). He even sat with her til she was so drunk she slept and put her head on his shoulder.

Other time, she got drunk after the company outing, she says her MIND outloud. Remember how she was so happy to be Ye line and possibly have some smidgeon of hope to be Mrs. Ye (before they were dashed) upon seeing JW at the bus stop.  She frankly blurted out her thoughts not realizing it. JW was not turned off and realized it and wanted to quickly get her in a cab to get home safely. She was just too adorbs spouting how---YEAH long live Ye Line ! BOo Hahahahaa. The mortification of BY later to realize what she did the night before. Even while buzzed, JW did his usual advice on her to stop as she is TOO truthful when drunk/buzzed.

MH was not so nice when he surprised her and she was I think buzzed and did the body gag and fell and was caught. Later he had to  use that pic to show to JW who just was too absorbed on how TOO cute BY looked. Not embarrassing, not horrible but cute and that would cheer him up whenever he needed cheering up when he is sad. (I loved how BY perked up and how pretty she looked in that scene). 

Yeah the mean second lead female is not here is refreshing. I mean YJ had her moment but it was short lived the day BY was mean to her on the elevator thinking BY and MH might start something. YJ was petty and said---I am not your UNNI even if we live together. Later she was saying ---you don't want to listen to your sunbae when SW was saying something. She really had it in nitpicking on EVERYTHING BY did. Even SW picked up on it too! Later JW had to tell her to rechange the schedule to be more fair to BY after he asked as a favor for her to do it as he was busy. But BY later got time to TRULY apologize after seeing YJ with her ex hubby and apologize sincerely to her. So that one day of petty getting back at BY was ended. So that is NOTHING comparatively to other females/second leads in dramas in Kdrama land indeed.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

A poem from episode 7. For some reason, the video clips actually cut right in the middle of the poem, and then misses out on one line of a short poem. Still, I'm posting both video clips, plus the translation of the poem itself underneath.

Jealousy - Jung Ho Seung

On an Autumn day, the light rain
only loves the fallen leaves.

I felt so very, very jealous,
That until the light rain stopped
I rolled around in the fallen leaves.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, stroppyse said:

The Road You Can’t Turn Back - Kim Chul Hyun

Leaving behind the person you love,
Acting as if you didn’t love them,
The road that turns away.

Hiding a heart that’s really hurting,
Acting as if one’s heart doesn’t hurt,

Hiding that it’s a parting that you don’t want,
Acting as if it wasn’t anything at all,

Holding back the flowing tears,
Acting as if one wasn’t weakened,

If you love,
Because you love, ultimately,
It’s a road you can’t turn back.

The drama continues with its poetry therapy theme. This poem suits Teacher Kim the most as it lyricizes her past life. Noble idiocy is nothing noble. It's selfish selflessness. Who gives you the right to decide for someone else and then call it an act of love? You think what you've done to that person is a good deed? No, you just betrayed them. You think their current happiness is the result of your sacrifice? No, they're happy now because they chose to move on from you, you horrible cucumber. Noble idiocy is a road you can't trudge back. In the first place, it shouldn't be a road you tread. The basis of a relationship is mutual trust and communication. If you decide unilaterally, you're just insulting the other person's ability to understand you, accept your shortcomings and adapt to the situation. Yes, I'm angry! I need therapy. 

• Like 5

Do we have a BTS for this scene? I really want to know if LJH was able to hold his laugh throughout this scene. 

14948782c065a4e62d9f15da5203a08021eacb03

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

So the story is about myself being in a kdrama slump for months already. And I feel so bored with nothing much to see from dramaland and tune in to variety shows more. But this poem a day saved me and took me out from my boredom slump. :lol:

One of WBY's Gashina dance cover on IG attracted my curiosity and I thought let's try for a couple of eps first. But it's not just a couple, I end up completing the whole 10 eps already. And I still want to continue. It's good and fun! The slices of life drama seasoned with bitter sweet romance. Each characters has their own story and a part of all. The characters' have unique characteristic styles. They complete to each other. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, stargazer187 said:

So the story is about myself being in a kdrama slump for months already. And I feel so bored with nothing much to see from dramaland and tune in to variety shows more. But this poem a day saved me and took me out from my boredom slump. :lol:

One of WBY's Gashina dance cover on IG attracted my curiosity and I thought let's try for a couple of eps first. But it's not just a couple, I end up completing the whole 10 eps already. And I still want to continue. It's good and fun! The slices of life drama seasoned with bitter sweet romance. Each characters has their own story and a part of all. The characters' have unique characteristic styles. They complete to each other. 

Gal, I should have recommended this to you earlier ! This show is the one that occupies my thoughts a lot. There’s something special about this drama & the ratings do not do it justice. 

I love advice robot ‘s precious smiles. I hope to see more of it. I’m shamelessly fan girling here , but LJH is really handsome 

Subbed preview 

bTs posted by Shin Jae Ha. I like the 3 stooges

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Like 3

2 hours ago, triplem said:

Gal, I should have recommended this to you earlier ! This show is the one that occupies my thoughts a lot. There’s something special about this drama & the ratings do not do it justice

Oh you should have @triplem I forgot that this show has started long ago. I've planned to watch it before it aired. But due to some sort of things I forgot to check it out. Nevermind, I really enjoyed marathoning it. No pain of waiting weeks. But now I am starting to get it, waiting for next episodes. Why is the rating? Is it so low? 

You know I love WBY character and I like how LYB portrayed her character. She revives my old feelings for her YYR in Pinocchio. Lol, BY's doppelganger is totally so fun!! 

Actually I dislike weak female characters in dramaland, they tend to be so fragile when it comes to rejection and heartbreak, but not for WBY. Even, she easily cries but I love her straight forward and she's being honest to her feeling, acts for it bluntly. I like her persistence and her struggle in pursuing her love. The way she overcomes her feelings seems natural. I mean that's how, that's the same reaction we have in real life too. I mean, dramas love to make their females go into hiding and avoiding mode, and the guy will look after her. In short, even BY might seems weak but she still has her dignity after several disappoinments and I think she is kinda cool when she tells things honestly. 

The poetry that this show has used are so incredibly awesome. They fit to every daily situation happened in the drama. Words that is not just a pretty words. But it has its weight and gives comforts to them. This one of the reason I'm liking the drama more. 

The triangle love seems okay too here. Poor BY.. Those guys are making the wrong decision. Oohh... JSJ will have a cameo for next episode?? Is he going to make the guys after for her and regrets their choice. SMH is already in stage 1, next Dr. Ye seems will follow. Lol

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

@stargazer187 Even though this is cable , I did have hopes for better ratings. It barely touches 1%. But of course quality is not always reflected in those numbers . Yes , hottie oppa Ha Seok Jin is gonna cameo next Monday . But I think he’s not Bo Young’s patient but Dr Kim. I suspect he will ask Dr kim out & this will make Daebang Daebang jealous & make up his mind . Kim-kim Couple will then sail :lol:

Found a subbed version of the press con

In the press con Lee YuBi said like her character,  she loves poems & would post poems on SNS and fans love it . JDY mentions that he’s nothing like Min Ho - does not depend on his family at all for money & has only been clubbing twice . So cute.

@stroppyse In the last part of the video the emcee said something to LJH to which he bowed & they laughed.( After JDY spoke)  What did she say? It was not subbed. 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 7
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, triplem said:

@stroppyse In the last part of the video the emcee said something to LJH to which he bowed & they laughed.( After JDY spoke)  What did she say? It was not subbed. 

@triplem, just for you, I went and found a copy of the presscon that didn't have that horrible backing track that obfuscated the audio. I'm putting a link to that copy down below which seems to be the full presscon, but unfortunately, it's not subbed. And, given that it's nearly an hour long, I don't think I have time to translate it for you. Sorry.

However, in the bit that you were curious about, LYB had been talking about how quickly she and MH had become close, and how she thought of MH almost as her real little brother and would even nag and tease him on set. JDY responded by saying that normally he was quite reserved, but because he was trying to open up to WBY, that they were able to get close very quickly, and would actually play around on the set a lot.

The MC then mentions that she can sense LJH's jealousy even at the presscon table, and that it was something to look forward to in the drama as well. Everyone laughed, and LJH gave a slight bow.

Btw, more about JDY, apparently, he had written poetry when he was young, and even won an award for one. He continued to write poetry until the first year of high school, and then stopped. He wondered if he had lost some of the innocent frame of mind that allowed him to view things differently and caused him to write poetry since he stopped because he had found it harder and harder to write. However, he had recently started trying to write more poetry.

Cute press conference.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

On 4/26/2018 at 11:49 AM, stroppyse said:

Jealousy - Jung Ho Seung

On an Autumn day, the light rain
only loves the fallen leaves.

I felt so very, very jealous,
That until the light rain stopped
I rolled around in the fallen leaves.

Could it be JW is the light rain and MH is the one who rolls around after the rain stops? Thus signifying that Mh and BY ar endgame? Just trying to see if there are some hints to the future of the plot

On 4/26/2018 at 4:35 PM, hhuyen said:

Haven't watched this drama and wondering if I should? Is it good?

If you like an genuine, no-beats-around the bush kind of heroine, then this is your drama. She is a cinnamon roll and the story of thus show makes the viewers experience 100x better. I really recommend this as an avid kdrama fan that enjoys both a good story and character, especially female lead. Also a rare gem of a drama where it isn’t obvious who she will end up with which it makes it even more intriguing to watch. If you enjoy a show that is thought provoking and deep too, then this matches your tastes too because of the poems in each episode and the subplots and overall themes. I hope you see it and come back here to let us know your thoughts! I’m curious to hear what you think.

5 hours ago, stargazer187 said:

Actually I dislike weak female characters in dramaland, they tend to be so fragile when it comes to rejection and heartbreak, but not for WBY. Even, she easily cries but I love her straight forward and she's being honest to her feeling, acts for it bluntly. I like her persistence and her struggle in pursuing her love. The way she overcomes her feelings seems natural. I mean that's how, that's the same reaction we have in real life too. I mean, dramas love to make their females go into hiding and avoiding mode, and the guy will look after her. In short, even BY might seems weak but she still has her dignity after several disappoinments and I think she is kinda cool when she tells things honestly. 

Agree with this all, I wouldn’t have been able to describe BY better myself chingu. I hope she gets the full time job cause she deserves it! I want to see her end up with whoever she loves too because she also deserves that. I just wanna see uri BY have it all cause I’m cheering for her :) 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, philosophie said:

Could it be JW is the light rain and MH is the one who rolls around after the rain stops? Thus signifying that Mh and BY ar endgame? Just trying to see if there are some hints to the future of the plot

I think it's more likely that BY is the rain and JW is the fallen leaves that BY only likes, so that MH is jealous of BY's affection for JW, at least in the episode that poem was a part of.

I don't know if it's possible to draw any conclusions about the end games of the main romance in this drama.

However, I am wondering if Defcon and Therapist Kim are going to be a couple after all. :)

On a different topic, I think each episode has 2 poems. And, working backwards, I've translated the poems for episodes 10, 9, 8, and 1 of the poems from 7. Since the poems are short, the translations themselves don't take me very long to do, however it takes me awhile to find either the appropriate clips and/or to pinpoint the location in the episodes which contain the recitation of the poems. If anyone has a bit of time, would you mind finding the episode clips that contain the poems and/or telling me the timing marks for the poems for episodes 1-7? If you do, please tag me so that I know to look. Thanks. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@stroppyse Thanks for explaining the press con. Later on , when I hv some time will look for the clips with the poems & put them here. 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lee Yoo Bi's IG live. They all celebrate Lee Chae Young (Dr. Kim)'s birthday..

OMG Let me fangirling how handsome Lee Joon Hyuk is :wub: My Ye-ssaem :heart: His smile is so precious.. LOL sorry y'all, can't hide the fangirl side of me..

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1