[Drama 2018] A Poem A Day / You Who Forgot Poetry, 시를 잊은 그대에게

0ly40

Exactly, those 2 songwriters write ballads/feel-good songs and then they sometimes throw in some WTF lines like "And the words for waiting have disappeared from the dictionary" for good measure. This poem is like a Seventeen B-side song. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so finish episode 10. It was heartwarming seeing MH trying to comfort BY and it is nice seeing him mature and being there for her without having other intention. suddenly they where like parents to NW and JJ :lol:  the biggest event was that the alligator left NW shirt :tongue: poor alligator. 

seems like JW to late realize his feelings. what is he gonna do now? It was sad seeing him so down.. next episode BY gonna see a new side to him. we have seen his good side true BY but is this something that gonna make her stop her feelings? to me she have put him on a pedestal and she fantasize allot about him... not that she cant grow real feelings for him, but to me she have not seen all of him in her candy corn cloud. she never actually asked him personal question or learned about his private life. the only personal thing we know about him is about his former girlfriend and how he left hospital last time. we know more about the other staffs private life and they actually have showed MH and BY family. of course it was a event that have shaped him to who he is now. 

MH have stepped up and showed that he can put other before himself. well I think when a person is capable to grow as a person they have right to a second change. and next episode he gonna read poetry! Just thinking about him writing BY a confession poem gives me butterfly :wub:  It is a nice turn around from her writing him poem. 

so far we have two guys that are good men in their own way. even though they have their flaws. so it is not hard to see her with one of them in the end. the question is who is in her heart for real. wish the best for our girl :D 

@stroppyse wow that is certainly a romantic poem for ep 6. Thank you.

It does sound more like a ballad. But ballads and OSTs sound even more romantic. I think I mentioned my friend does the song lyrics esp OSTs ones on viki? Her translations make it sound as it is poetry. That's why I like this drama. The other mainstream site which does Korean song translations usually does it badly.

And geez @screwdila I am one of those who haven't watched City Hunter. Just fyi, any time any character dies in a drama, especially if there are fans of the actors- please give a spoiler warning. As in please read at your own risk. I am still not sure if I will watch that drama but now I definitely won't. I hate it when one of my current fave actor dies.... why would I want to watch it?

@triplem might give the House of Bluebird a go then. 

Back to the drama again. I actually Googled Sling therapy. There are not many places that actually has it in my city. Now my curiosity is up and I will go ask the physiotherapists if there are any in the hospitals. I know there are hydrotherapy pools just not sling therapy. And man it's all jammed into the one room. 

I must say though the writer only did a token job with the radiotherapy department. It must be a really small hospital. I am just thinking that we have 3 times the number in just the x-ray dept at any time in ED. And that is manned 24/7. Much less the main xray dept. And then there is the MRI, CT, ultrasound and the 2D echo sections.

The recent OSt from Migyo that brought the emotional part from me when i watch this drama , so i am very much to wish that  Dr Ye can have a better chance ( given by the writer :lol: ).To be honest , i never really follow LJH's  drama since Three Brothers ,  but whenever i saw him on a drama ,  i always get attracted by him haha .  I never dislike MH ,  from the start i know he is a kind hearted boy , from the way he treat NW.  i realised that the crew are filming next week episode ?  the schedule is so tight for them to complete.

K-DRAMA REACTION: A POEM A DAY | EPISODE 6

PicsArt_04-25-10.11.09There are no other stories like the ones about the family that can move me to tears very easily. That is why this episode has become my favorite so far.

The meaning of family

The drama has successfully explored differing concepts of family through the eyes of Bo-young and Min-ho. Bo-young’s mother treats Bo-young’s half-brother as her own and showers him with love. She said that the power of nurture is stronger than the power of giving birth, and I couldn’t agree any less.

Full: https://ahjummamshies.com/2018/04/25/k-drama-reaction-a-poem-a-day-episode-6/

thank you @stroppysefor the translation of the poem in ep 8 .

What my interpretation for this poem is  whatever have been done is done , no turning back . What decision you had made before ,  there is no way to regret ( to love or being loved )  and no way to  turn back the clock. This poem to ask ppl to move on ..

this is how i interpret .

I confess that this is now the drama I am most excited about out of all the ones I am watching. Ironic given i was almost going to drop it. Maybe it's because the drama has this quirkiness to it. Maybe it's because the viewers can relate to the characters. Maybe it's  because the writer knows how to pull our heartstrings and make us change our minds perpetually over who the male lead is here.  (it's amazing how much debate and shipping is going on out there on every site I have seen - subbed sites, Asianwiki, twitter etc )  Kim Daebang should definitely weigh in on this. Can you imagine him having a meltdown deciding on who it is? Dr Ye ? Min Ho ? Dr Ye ? Min Ho? :lol:

BY's colleagues remind me of mine - they can rub you in the wrong way. They can be selfish , narcissistic and thoughtless in their comments. And you want to hate them but them you realise they are only human. Everyone has things that weigh him down and needs his spirit uplifted from time to time. The theme of this entire drama is really about letting go of the burdens of your past, and learning to move forward, take risks and start anew. You can see that in the back story of every character.

Also while using one of the subbed sites which I cannot name, I came across this interesting comment that will warm the hearts of all Ye Liners. credit to  commenter Sunny Bunny of this particular site.

Spoiler

Obviously the writer is trying to confuse the viewers so we can be more excited for the next episodes to come but the title is what really helps us to see WHO will be the MAIN LEAD.

We all know that when Boyoung likes someone, she sends poems to the guy. There's two variations of the drama title and it's, "A Poem a Day" and "You Who Forgot Poetry" 
We also know the fact that Boyoung sent poetry both to MH + Dr Ye and they're both broken in their own ways.

Although Minho also has a broken backstory, Dr. Ye is the true broken one who has lost his sense of living his best life as the title states, "You Who Forgot Poetry" Poetry is kind of like a "life" and it teaches us lots of things in life and it can us get past the pain and sorrow.

Dr. Ye isn't very much in touch with his emotions and expressions and he also doesn't cry much as stated when he went on a 'date' to the poetry museum with Boyoung + Minho.

After Boyoung started liking Dr. Ye, she obviously sent Dr. Ye poems every day thus the title states, "A Poem A Day"

Dr. Ye started regaining his "life" back because he is showing different sides of him we never saw in the previous episodes and we know that this is kind of shocking because he is someone who is hard to open up.

1.) Dr Ye started getting jealous slowly

Two of the many examples:

- Hearing Doctor Kim ask Boyoung about Minho in the elevator- You can see it in his eyes.

- As well as getting revenge for Boyoung when Minho revealed that Boyoung liked him in the past and mentioned embarrassing stuff that she did for him)

2.) Dr. Ye took care of Boyoung in many different ways.

- Told her to take care of her body when she was exhausted/tired.
- Told her he was bothered when Boyoung avoided him.
- He usually doesn't take care of people but Boyoung is a exception.

3.) Dr. Ye smiled when he saw the child eating cotton candy after going on a 'date' with Boyoung and buying her cotton candy.

4.) Has had loving flashbacks of the first time when they met after he rejected Boyoung

5.) You can see it all in his eyes that he loves her

Basically Dr. Ye is now regaining his life and emotions back through Boyoung's love and poetry and that pretty much sums up the title, "You Who Forgot Poetry." <333

We will all see how this will unfold next week but I am sure at this point that Dr. Ye is the main lead. The writer just loves to confuse viewers haha! There's lots of episodes left but we can see it in the preview that he doesn't like the patient Boyoung was supposed to take care of flirting with her and takes over her job. As well as the confession coming soon when Dr. Ye says he wants to meet up with Boyoung and talk with her because he has something to *SAY!!

This is one of those instances that I feel compelled to say, "Monday can't come soon enough!". 

@triplem I absolutely agree with you on being excited about this drama. The only thing that's allowing me to survive the week of waiting is because I'm also watching My Ahjusshi. Man, TVN is really delivering with these two dramas.

This is one of those rare gems, where you actually feel for the heroine. I'm happy when BY's happy: in love whenever I see her with her heart on sleeve; heartbroken when she gets rejected; cringing when she has a case of foot-in-mouth; angered when she's humiliated; and always... always wishing her the best fate. I didnt think I'd be able to root for the classic clumsy hard working heroine whose fate seems to be against her in the workplace and in love. And yet I did, because underneath all thay lies a her resilient spirit. I dont think I would've ever had the guts to confess the way she did and then had the courage to set boundaries with Ye to avoid miaunderstanding his feelings.

Only one other character comes to mind when that confession/rejection scene came about, Chen Song Yi. 

WBY actually had one of the most dignified responses I have seen on a Kdrama. Where she told YJW how she would get over him.

Way better than the drunken pojangmacha and soju drowning scenes. Or lately- we have been having the whiskey drinking at the bar scenes. Or the self pity scenes.

She has also been written as one of the genuinely nice albeit poor heroine. Who is not drowning in resentment, debts, chasing branded items or a guy with specs, has some self respect and is actually a functional human being. The number of Kdramas with down trodden heroines are ridiculous. And we haven't had screechy mothers. Or b*tchy 2nd leads.

Although the neurotic and indecisive radiographer does take the prize for being memorable. I watch agape sometimes at his behaviour. And am so tempted to send him for therapy.

@ck1Oz  AMEN. I agree with you totally. BY is a refreshing breeze for the kdrama heroine landscape addition. You definitely watched your fair share of Korean dramas like I have. Thanks for sharing about how there are too many tropes used in dramas for the usual kdrama heroine.  But at least here though she is bumbling, she is brave/in touch with her feelings but empathetic with a refreshing honesty. Plus life lessons she learns from patients and then applies to her own situation (realizing they are not as BIG or serious in actuality).

She has healthy relationship with her mom though her family is not ideal. Her dad did pass away and had another son with another woman. BUT the fact her mom is gracious and treats that young man as her son is precious. Right there alone is a rarity. Yup on the not being left with tons of debt. We know she is not rich and we know she is frugal. But her debt is not like JA in MY Ajusshi (My Mister) or other heroines. Even of her roomie YJ level, she is living on enough to get buy and pay her bills to pay back her school bills (I presume).  When YJ asked JW to lend money to BY when she had none to lend her, she said---she is one who uses samples for make up not buying anything for herself or new clothing but she wants money to bring something home to mom. This is our BY. She wants to have a normal life and get FT so she will have more stable income and not be as unstable. She loves buffets but doesn't eat at them often and wants to eat at a hotel buffet. (I know in Korea they are very PRICEY. I was offered to be treated to one, I passed to go to a local beef bone soup place. My host was shocked I passed. Though very generous of him as he was my former student's dad, I wanted to eat local food.) When MH was going to buffet for what he thought to celebrate his BDAY but was not, he joked about treating BY. Then per usual fashion, said it as a joke and took it back.  Even when taken to her fave buffet place by MC to cheer her up, she was not cheered up. Poor MC thinking she is still worried and sad about losing the FT opportunity when she is nursing a broken heart. Yeah I wouldn't tell MC I am nursing a broken heart either. DEF something too personal to share.

Well she does drink when upset but alone and not in a pojangmacha, recall how MH found her at the bench but she had it seems like 2 containers/boxes of soju or beer (not sure). He thought she was drinking her sorrows away due to the losing the FT job opportunity with MC not leaving. But then he learned that she got rejected by JW. It was sweet he was worried about her (even though he did NOT want to go out). He even sat with her til she was so drunk she slept and put her head on his shoulder.

Other time, she got drunk after the company outing, she says her MIND outloud. Remember how she was so happy to be Ye line and possibly have some smidgeon of hope to be Mrs. Ye (before they were dashed) upon seeing JW at the bus stop.  She frankly blurted out her thoughts not realizing it. JW was not turned off and realized it and wanted to quickly get her in a cab to get home safely. She was just too adorbs spouting how---YEAH long live Ye Line ! BOo Hahahahaa. The mortification of BY later to realize what she did the night before. Even while buzzed, JW did his usual advice on her to stop as she is TOO truthful when drunk/buzzed.

MH was not so nice when he surprised her and she was I think buzzed and did the body gag and fell and was caught. Later he had to  use that pic to show to JW who just was too absorbed on how TOO cute BY looked. Not embarrassing, not horrible but cute and that would cheer him up whenever he needed cheering up when he is sad. (I loved how BY perked up and how pretty she looked in that scene). 

Yeah the mean second lead female is not here is refreshing. I mean YJ had her moment but it was short lived the day BY was mean to her on the elevator thinking BY and MH might start something. YJ was petty and said---I am not your UNNI even if we live together. Later she was saying ---you don't want to listen to your sunbae when SW was saying something. She really had it in nitpicking on EVERYTHING BY did. Even SW picked up on it too! Later JW had to tell her to rechange the schedule to be more fair to BY after he asked as a favor for her to do it as he was busy. But BY later got time to TRULY apologize after seeing YJ with her ex hubby and apologize sincerely to her. So that one day of petty getting back at BY was ended. So that is NOTHING comparatively to other females/second leads in dramas in Kdrama land indeed.

14 hours ago, stroppyse said:

The Road You Can’t Turn Back - Kim Chul Hyun

Leaving behind the person you love,
Acting as if you didn’t love them,
The road that turns away.

Hiding a heart that’s really hurting,
Acting as if one’s heart doesn’t hurt,

Hiding that it’s a parting that you don’t want,
Acting as if it wasn’t anything at all,

Holding back the flowing tears,
Acting as if one wasn’t weakened,

If you love,
Because you love, ultimately,
It’s a road you can’t turn back.

The drama continues with its poetry therapy theme. This poem suits Teacher Kim the most as it lyricizes her past life. Noble idiocy is nothing noble. It's selfish selflessness. Who gives you the right to decide for someone else and then call it an act of love? You think what you've done to that person is a good deed? No, you just betrayed them. You think their current happiness is the result of your sacrifice? No, they're happy now because they chose to move on from you, you horrible cucumber. Noble idiocy is a road you can't trudge back. In the first place, it shouldn't be a road you tread. The basis of a relationship is mutual trust and communication. If you decide unilaterally, you're just insulting the other person's ability to understand you, accept your shortcomings and adapt to the situation. Yes, I'm angry! I need therapy. 

1 hour ago, stargazer187 said:

So the story is about myself being in a kdrama slump for months already. And I feel so bored with nothing much to see from dramaland and tune in to variety shows more. But this poem a day saved me and took me out from my boredom slump. :lol:

One of WBY's Gashina dance cover on IG attracted my curiosity and I thought let's try for a couple of eps first. But it's not just a couple, I end up completing the whole 10 eps already. And I still want to continue. It's good and fun! The slices of life drama seasoned with bitter sweet romance. Each characters has their own story and a part of all. The characters' have unique characteristic styles. They complete to each other. 

Gal, I should have recommended this to you earlier ! This show is the one that occupies my thoughts a lot. There’s something special about this drama & the ratings do not do it justice. 

I love advice robot ‘s precious smiles. I hope to see more of it. I’m shamelessly fan girling here , but LJH is really handsome 

Subbed preview 

bTs posted by Shin Jae Ha. I like the 3 stooges

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

@stargazer187 Even though this is cable , I did have hopes for better ratings. It barely touches 1%. But of course quality is not always reflected in those numbers . Yes , hottie oppa Ha Seok Jin is gonna cameo next Monday . But I think he’s not Bo Young’s patient but Dr Kim. I suspect he will ask Dr kim out & this will make Daebang Daebang jealous & make up his mind . Kim-kim Couple will then sail :lol:

Found a subbed version of the press con

In the press con Lee YuBi said like her character,  she loves poems & would post poems on SNS and fans love it . JDY mentions that he’s nothing like Min Ho - does not depend on his family at all for money & has only been clubbing twice . So cute.

@stroppyse In the last part of the video the emcee said something to LJH to which he bowed & they laughed.( After JDY spoke)  What did she say? It was not subbed. 

On 4/26/2018 at 11:49 AM, stroppyse said:

Jealousy - Jung Ho Seung

On an Autumn day, the light rain
only loves the fallen leaves.

I felt so very, very jealous,
That until the light rain stopped
I rolled around in the fallen leaves.

Could it be JW is the light rain and MH is the one who rolls around after the rain stops? Thus signifying that Mh and BY ar endgame? Just trying to see if there are some hints to the future of the plot

On 4/26/2018 at 4:35 PM, hhuyen said:

Haven't watched this drama and wondering if I should? Is it good?

If you like an genuine, no-beats-around the bush kind of heroine, then this is your drama. She is a cinnamon roll and the story of thus show makes the viewers experience 100x better. I really recommend this as an avid kdrama fan that enjoys both a good story and character, especially female lead. Also a rare gem of a drama where it isn’t obvious who she will end up with which it makes it even more intriguing to watch. If you enjoy a show that is thought provoking and deep too, then this matches your tastes too because of the poems in each episode and the subplots and overall themes. I hope you see it and come back here to let us know your thoughts! I’m curious to hear what you think.

5 hours ago, stargazer187 said:

Actually I dislike weak female characters in dramaland, they tend to be so fragile when it comes to rejection and heartbreak, but not for WBY. Even, she easily cries but I love her straight forward and she's being honest to her feeling, acts for it bluntly. I like her persistence and her struggle in pursuing her love. The way she overcomes her feelings seems natural. I mean that's how, that's the same reaction we have in real life too. I mean, dramas love to make their females go into hiding and avoiding mode, and the guy will look after her. In short, even BY might seems weak but she still has her dignity after several disappoinments and I think she is kinda cool when she tells things honestly. 

Agree with this all, I wouldn’t have been able to describe BY better myself chingu. I hope she gets the full time job cause she deserves it! I want to see her end up with whoever she loves too because she also deserves that. I just wanna see uri BY have it all cause I’m cheering for her :) 

Archived