[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

21 hours ago, dvrels said:

I found this on Instagram maybe you can find the monkey doll 

Reveal hidden contents

OMG I LOVE YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! My Family is in Myeong-dong right now but they don't know where to find it huhuhuhu I told them to show the picture >_< if you know anywhere where they could get it in Myeong-dong please let me know <3 they'll be there until Monday! 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)

On 1/24/2018 at 11:54 PM, cleoLsg said:

hi , i’m late to the party . but i want to join to spazz about hwayugi . 

@packmule3 i have watched rewatched enough hong sister’s drama’s to know that when a fairy tale becomes  a part of the narative it’s not random or meaningless . since jonathan is the one who picks up where the wild things are , and since i didn’t  know whats that story is about i assumed it’s linked to jonathan . so thankyou for summarizing the tale and explaining how it might be connected to oh gong instead . 

It's never too late to join the party, @cleoLsg.

Unfortunately, I can't say that I've watched a lot of the Hong Sisters' dramas. Probably just a handful: Warm and Cozy (Jeju Island Gatsy), Master's Sun (skipped the latter parts and waited for the end), Big (no, the plot was too small), My Girlfriend is a Gumiho (yes because of Shin Minah), Greatest Love (skipped midway because of the heroine's too-stupid-too-live moments), You're Beautiful (skipped the ending), Delightful Girl Choon Hyang (yes, but waiting for the guy to become mature was a pain), My Girl (skipped bec of Lee Dae Hee), Hong Gil Dong (nope, too sad). 

My take from these all is that the sisters write and favor strong male caricatures in their stories while the female characters are the sane ones (despite seeing ghosts or being a gumiho) reacting to their strings being pulled willy-nilly by their leading men. 

In Hwayugi, my theory is that the Monkey King, OhGong, was beside her all those 25 years, and that SunMi was under a mistaken impression that he had abandoned her.

I wrote about it here:

http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2017/12/29/hwayugi-korean-odyssey-episodes-1-and-2/

I posted that last December 29 (after the first two episodes) on my blog and until now, nothing that OhGong has done disproves it. As a matter of fact, some of the things that he's been doing now raise the question and the possibility that he's been guarding her all along, from afar. For instance, he could hear the assistant HanJoo whenever he complains of OhGong, and the existence of the stuffed toy who spies on her.  Why couldn't he have done the same thing before? Put a GPS and tracker on her to see how she was surviving? And it would also explain why he appeared to have been caught off-guard when she berated him about running away from her and insulted him about being a common two-bit fairy. 

For me, also, what was so strange about their "accidental" sighting on the traffic crosswalk was it occurred AFTER SunMi declared to the dieting kpop ghost that her memories of OhGong was fast becoming nebulous after so many years had passed. For the great sage OG, the idea of being erased from her memories would be demeaning and ego-busting, for sure. So when he crossed directly in front of her stopped car, stared at her, then flick his wrist like he was waving a fan...those were all PLANNED by him. It was destiny, not fate. (lol I also wrote about this destiny vs fate in my blog, but you'll have to search for it.)  

Anyway, I'm copying and pasting the things I wrote from that Episode 1 and 2 analysis over here to spare some people the trouble of over to my blog.

For twenty-five years, he was at her side.

I don’t think the monkey guy OhGong disappeared from Jin SunMi’s life. On the contrary, he had always been protecting her without her knowing it.

1. Observe his character.

a. Because he ate free ice cream all the time, he repaid the ice cream guy with the teapot. Before he departed for the heavens, he wanted the ice cream guy to have a successful business, so he presented him with a teapot that would heat up the business and give him good fortune. This thoughtful gesture tells me that OhGong wasn’t a grabber or a taker. He would acknowledge his indebtedness and he would pay up.

b. Same with Mawang. He offered to put in a good word for Mawang when he got his promotion because it was Mawang who released him from the prison. If he’d do as much for Mawang, what more for the child SunMi, who actually released him and got punished for doing so. Especially when the child implored his protection?

c. Same with the teapot. As a powerful monster, he could have filched it and nobody would know any better. But he ordered the Cellphone CEO to pay up. And the Cellphone CEO didn’t regard his orders as underhanded or unscrupulous.

d. Also his demon-slaying services. He expected to be promoted because of his services rendered. His code of ethics demanded that his good deeds be recognized and rewarded. He protested furiously when his overlord wouldn’t promote him.

e. Then, look at what he told the bartender.

Bartender: You must have done something wrong to that kiddo.
OhGong: Yeah. But I don’t feel uneasy about the wrong thing I did at all. But she said she waited for me for 25 years. Desperately?

Hearing him, a viewer could understandably get this perception that he was heartless and unconscientious – which is contrary to how he treated other people like the ice cream guy and the Cellphone CEO. One possible explanation here is that he knew that he did wrong in stealing the memory of the SunMi but he redeemed himself by fulfilling the bargain anyway. You see, their deal was conditional: “If you call my name when you’re in trouble, in danger, or scared, I’ll appear and protect you.” However, nothing precluded him from appearing at her side whenever and wherever he wished to. He could have very well taken up the responsibility of protecting her in her hour of need, when she did not and could not call his name. HIS appearance wasn’t contingent upon HER summons. He could show up anytime he wanted.

2. The coincidences.

a. SunMi asked that ghost of a starving singer whether she’d seen a fairy (aka OhGong) around. She confessed to that ghost that her memory of the fairy was already becoming fuzzy and that she was beginning to wonder if she had only dreamed of the whole incident. A day or two after her confession, OhGong sauntered in front of her car at a crosswalk. Their meeting appeared incidental, but I think that was intentional. You see, if he truly wanted to pass by her incognito, he didn’t have to stop and taunt her by waving an invisible fan. He did the gesture cheekily knowing that it would jolt her memory, and that she would chase him.

And then when she lost him in the shopping mall, a spirit child showed up out of nowhere to lead her to him waiting at the bridge. To me, it seemed like he wanted to have that meeting with her after hearing her declaration that she could hardly remember him at all.

b. Mawang gave the starving ghost a second chance on his talent show so she could leave the human realm and join the afterlife. It’s plausible that OhGong had a hand in that, too. He could have been nearby listening to SunMi when she consoled the ghost and he prodded the ghost to audition on Mawang’s show after eating the cereal bar. The ghost told Mawang, “I think it was the right thing for me to do, coming back here after eating some of the cereal bar.” OhGong could have been the middleman because he knew Mawang runs a talent show on TV.

c. the demon in the groom dummy. I find it curious that OhGong appeared at the same house where SunMi was attacked by possessed boy. To me, his appearance was to exact revenge (i.e., he wanted to “beat up” the demon, not just get rid of it) for SunMi’s injury.

d. the accident-causing demon. When SunMi saw the demon on the car roof, she said, “there it is AGAIN,” implying that this wasn’t the first time she’d seen a demon like this. Interestingly enough, OhGong had also exorcised an accident-causing demon. He even destructed two overpass in the process of extermination. It wouldn’t surprise me if he had been on the scene, too, when SunMi first encountered the accident-causing demon.

e. SunMi’s assistant. OhGong was familiar with her right-hand man although it was their first time encountering each other. He tapped him casually, asking where was Jin SunMi, and the assistant was surprised.

f. the swarming demons. OhGong was already at SunMi’s home when the demons arrived after they tracked the scent of her lotus-blood to her home. How did he know where she lived? Unlike the demons and Mawang who could identify her lotus smell, he couldn’t seem to smell SunMi. Take the instance when he had to conjure up a butterfly to pick SunMi from the row of brides of the horny groom. It was the butterfly who located SunMi because he couldn’t pick her out of the line-up simply based on her fragrance.

3. The umbrella.

Is it really believable that for 25 years, SunMi had been able to hide from the demons with a bloodhound’s ability to sniff her scent — with just a flimsy umbrella as a protection? And that she didn’t bleed a single drop during those years?

I think OhGong had been successful in keeping SunMi protected. She could handle ordinary ghosts and spirits but he handled the fiercer demons. That was why the word didn’t spread until late that SamJang had returned to the human world. Just like he would beat up the groom doll and the attacker in the alley after she got bitten, he efficiently took care of the tougher demons she encountered. Plus, it didn’t look to me that he was a novice at guarding her house at night. He didn’t spare a glance at those dark spirits floating up in the sky when he blasted them with fireworks.

That’s why, for me, the umbrella hovering in the air above and behind her, while he manipulated it from afar, became a neat symbolism of their relationship. She probably didn’t know that for a long time, she had survived well “on her own” because he had been at her side all along without her suspecting it.

Image result for hwayugi fan

pic credit: dramabeans

Tagging the usual flying monkeys...errr...girfriends:

@WildDivine69 (you're here, too!!!), @lavender2love (where are you? Get well soon), @phikyl (we've got to stop meeting like this), @aunniek, @YourHighness .(you're here, too?), @haymochi, @daloula (are you still in France? Heading there for business next month. Brushing up on my French now, lol. j'ai la patate.

• Like 13

Watch: AOA’s Jimin And Yuna Sing “If You Were Me” In MV For “Hwayugi” OST Featuring Yoo Hoe Seung

Jimin-Yoo-Hoe-Seung-Yuna.jpg

AOA members Jimin and Yuna have released an OST for “Hwayugi” featuring N.Flying’s Yoo Hoe Seung!

“If You Were Me” is a rhythmical song with encouraging lyrics that express the pain of people who get hurt by what others say to them. Jimin showcases her unique rapping skills, and Yuna captivates with her charming voice. Yoo Hoe Seung adds some amazing harmonization as well!

https://www.soompi.com/2018/01/27/watch-aoas-jimin-yuna-sing-mv-hwayugi-ost-featuring-yoo-hoe-seung/

• Like 8

That's not fair. The 9th episode ended right in teh moment when SM was trapped in the book.

And this preview... SM wanted to kiss OG but he rejected it and just push her away. And in the next scene OG is already besides this new woman. Something weird is happening. But thanks God OG's smile isn't similar to his "falling love" smile. It's seems he is up to something 

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

Geez.. this pairing is like one step forward and two steps back. :bawling: Can't they just be happy together????

And the preview for ep 10 isn't helping at all!! What's with the cold attitude to Sunmi?!? Waeee??? Please just realize that both of you love each other even without GGG!!! :bawling: I can't handle more angst!! Go Sunmi! Go get your man back!! And Ohgong, come back to your sense! You love Sunmi for who she is. Not because of the bracelet!!

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

DAMN! THAT WAS ONE HELL OF AN EPISODE! Hong Sisters were always a synonym for rom-com but this is no rom-com but pure ANGSTY ROMANTIC DRAMA AND I LOVE IT. So much happened today and each scene was a gem and the preview fo episode 10! Angst and more angst! Gimme!!! I dig the way the OTP relationship has been developed and there is so many obstacles for them to overcome and I'm really looking foward to watching them fight for their love.

joZU1Bh.jpg

• Like 17

Next ep preview is so depressing 

why does Mawang want to seperate Oh Gong and samjang so bad? He already knew the painful of not being ae

to be  with your love one  and he is doing this.. :bawling:

Athough some comments on Naver cracked me up . They asked the library woman to take the GGG and make it hers but Son Oh Gong always belongs to Sunmi haha 

• Like 11
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, kjesin said:

Episode 10 preview translations.

SM: Is that book seller the owner of new GGG?

MW: Then, the one SOG love now is...

SM: Son Oh Gong.

MW: not JSM

BS: Son Oh Gong. (BS is Richard Simmons, I mean Book Seller)

MW: but that book seller (Excuse my language but THAT Richard Simmons HOW DARE SHE)

OG: The owner of this GGG is another person.

BS: You heart will love me from now on. (Yeah Right Richard Simmons)

SM?: You're mine now.

OG: Damn. I can't hold back anymore.

WHAT THE HECK IS HAPPENING SOMEONE PUT ME IN A COMA FOR 22 AND A HALF HOURS COZ I NEED THE NEXT EPISODE IMMEDIATELY AFTER THAT PREVIEW HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He can't hold back anymore from who? SM or BS? I guess that's the main question. But if he really falls in love with BS, I'll be very disappointed. Plus it's good that tomorrow will be next episode. I could not wait to wait until next week

Edited by stroppyse
swear filter
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, annie1234 said:

Geez.. this pairing is like one step forward and two steps back. :bawling: Can't they just be happy together????

And the preview for ep 10 isn't helping at all!! What's with the cold attitude to Sunmi?!? Waeee??? Please just realize that both of you love each other even without GGG!!! :bawling: I can't handle more angst!! Go Sunmi! Go get your man back!! And Ohgong, come back to your sense! You love Sunmi for who she is. Not because of the bracelet!!

The situation with the Book Seller is really an ingenious way for OG and SM to realize that true love can't be created or defeaded by any magic and that what they feel for each other is real. Once again huge kudos to the Hong Sisters for this amazing  story and idea :wub:

• Like 14

This is a 20 episode drama, and a long drama at that.. im sure there will be more angst... while waiting for the Eng-sub of tonight's episode, is there  anyone else following Seung Gi's new variety - Master in the House? Just finished the 5th episode and its very funny - Looking for its discussion thread, but doesnt look as if its been created yet. Looking fwd to the discussion thread in soompi forum to talk about the jokes in that variety.

I cant imagine how Seung Gi do the show and then has to do Hwayugi the next day (weekdays) (and in winter at that! - remember he showed the -16 degree temperature at the end of filming recently?), he must have been physically tired especially over the mountain hike, cute that he ran down and the other members joked that Seung-Gi really thought he is SOG:D) It helps that Seung Gi is still is still physically fit due to his military training and happy to share his army stories (which I actually like:)

• Like 10

Sunmi life is just so pitiful.. why give this fate to her?!

no parents, famliy who despise her, bullied at school, haunted by demons all her life, and now falling in love with such painful fate?

Oh Gong is still hot and cold to her. This storybook demon will def make them realize that they love each other so much.

And how is this storybook demon so powerful?!! Sunmi is no longer samjang... gaaah!!!

if she claims herself as the new samjang, i hope she will be eaten by those monkey ape demons!!!:crazy:

• Like 9
  • Sad 2