[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

I like that fine mental fight between OG and Sunmi, his persistence that she should take of his bracelet,

and her persistence not to.:wub:

Though he is much more dangerous and sly.:wink:

To me it seems that Oh Gong is much more powerful than Ma Wang, because MW can only lock up OG by cheating him.

Btw, even though its a small thing, I liked the teapot.

• Like 7

22 hours ago, RobinM said:

That declaration was brutal but it’s being cruel to be kind. He thinks he has no real affection for her of his own volition. But I believe the Bracelet just works on feelings that are actually there subconsciously already. 

I agree that his declaration was brutal but from this standpoint honest.  He sees himself above humans so above such emotions like simple love.  He is in for a rude awaking.  I think that Sam Ja is here to teach him a lesson about the importance of love and like you, I think that the bracelet will only bind feelings that are hidden deep in the heart because how can it bind something that was never there.  As for Sam Ja's mission, it hits a little closer to real life with the political situation between the North and the South.  This story is just getting better and better

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, norakim said:

I think the guy that was ringing the bell to being in New Years' paid the hitmen to kill the Zombie Girl. That's why she knows him. I have this theory that he was having an affair with her while she was a minor. He killed her off because she threatened to tell the press or the police.    

Given Sam Jo's mission, I think that the Zombie Girl may have heard something she should not know that is political.  Maybe the Guy who wants to be president has something to do with starting a war and Zombie Girl will be the key to solving what needs to be stopped to save the world.  

• Like 5

By the way.. ep 3 the coffee shop that sam jang meets her cousin in.. the small coffee house between tall buildings.. is the building giana jun has purchased :tongue:  and was in news earlier this year.. to be one of the mos tprime and expensive propoerty.. for which she paid it all in cash..

it is so pretty..quaint..

32 minutes ago, lindas55 said:

I agree that his declaration was brutal but from this standpoint honest.  He sees himself above humans so above such emotions like simple love.  He is in for a rude awaking.  I think that Sam Ja is here to teach him a lesson about the importance of love and like you, I think that the bracelet will only bind feelings that are hidden deep in the heart because how can it bind something that was never there.  As for Sam Ja's mission, it hits a little closer to real life with the political situation between the North and the South.  This story is just getting better and better

but what if he hated her? then would the bracelet intensify that? then the bracelet loses its magical functional use.. 

so the bracelet definitely "creates" love response.. how much it can intensify is another question

5 hours ago, emmie said:

I'm loving CSW in this show!  He is an amazing actor!  

Anyone knows who is playing the role of the high level politician?  He looks familiar but I can't place him

he is the older brothe in reply 1997

Edited by triplem
Please do not post consecutively within one hour. Edit to add, thanks.
  • Like 2

Honestly I've tried hard to hold back my love for this drama when we weren't even sure to get another episode,

but now I can tell you I have absolutely no idea how I survived week two.

Getting two episodes back to back this time felt like pure bliss and I can't believe we'll actually get more next week,

I can't wait, for real.

• Like 7

On 1/8/2018 at 1:20 AM, blairbex said:

watched ep 04 raw and then and till about 1 hour mark with viki 80% subs . 

first of all i’m impressed that they showed the dissaster so soon and it’s a war not a predictable supernatural attack , then it’l be too easy when you have gods on your side . this now feels so large scale and poiganat because the president candidate is a puppet of evil masterminds like in the real world . 

i like how honest how sunmi is honest with oh gong about selling him for mawang for her own safety and oh gong leting her know how annoyed with her and he will kill her if not for the bracelet . despite these honesty when they fall in love by going through hardship together will be treat to watch because they will know it’s real and something really precious for them . 

i didn’t watch the vission or the sacrifice part with subs . but it looked so tragic . samjang or oh gong might need to sacrificed to keep the hell gates closed or to prevent the final dissaster . atleast in theory cos knowing hong sisters it won’t be too bitter sweet . 

i hope people will forgive and forget and give the love to hwayugi it desereves . 

Hi chingo I was reading everyone comments that was wonderful thank you so much for that but about tragic part big no!!!!! I don't  like Oh Gong sacrifice his self I really like to see him with Ma Wang and others . In original novel monkey king sacrifice his self too?:blink:

Please the drama is comedy, romantic and fantasy why they want finish it so sad and heart breaking. :(:bawling:

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Silver Fall said:

Hi chingo I was reading everyone comments that was wonderful thank you so much sfor that but about tragic part big no I don't  like Oh Gong sacrifice his self I really like to see him with Ma Wang and others . In original novel monkey king sacrifice his self too?:blink:

Please the drama is comedy, romantic and fantasy why they want finish it so sad and heart breaking. :(:bawling:

As far as I've read in the original  Sun Wukong (Monkey) and Xuanzang (monk) both achieve Buddhahood in the end of their journey.

Son Oh Gong is immortal so it's hard to think they'd sacrifice him (as in he can't die) but this is a dorama so there is always this big BUT. Who knows maybe to prevent the Gates of Hell opening on Earth Oh Gong would use up all his immortality and become mortal living as a human with Sun Mi  (this one would be nice) or Sun Mi would fulfill her mission as Sam Jang and ascend to Heaven along with Oh Gong or something like that. I want to believe in Hong sisters giving them happy ending. 

• Like 6

I sense they'll both end up being immortal in the end, though I could see Oh Gong sacrificing himself (in the place of Sun Mi, but because he truly loves her) and then being rewarded for his good deed. I say that because Sun Mi has no real connection (other than her assistant) to the human world.  No family or friends, nothing to bind her to normal humans.  The people she's meeting now and who she'll get close to aren't human and she has no good memories with humans for the most part.

Though not too many stories actually do that and immortal beings usually end up being human in the end, but I'd prefer if they were immortal spending eternity together.  It's more fun than thinking they'll go live a mundane normal life. Just doesn't seem in character for either one of them.  It's also not like all the are characters lacking due not to being normal humans either, so there's really not a quest for humanity here. Ma Wang is a demon and obviously can love as much as any human and our Monkey is well on his way. So, anyway I think the road might be rough for awhile, but things will end on a happy note.  

• Like 8

Wow, I just realized that I'd never posted in this thread even though I'm really into the drama :D  Hi guys :D 

It's such a nice and funny drama, light-hearted but not silly, and I like the main pairing. Also a big praise for the crossdressing character XD This must be the first time I've seen a crossdressing character in a drama who is not portrayed as a laughable and weird character, not even as the main character struggling with his sexuality or some such thing, but just naturally, as a person, she appears without introduction and talks to everybody normally and is GEORGOUS. I didn't even realize that the actor also acts as the ice man :D (or does he?)

Right now my guess is the the heroin's goal is to stop a korean war? And the key person to this is the ridiculously attractive presendential candidate who seems to be a bad person and our favourite zombie girl's ex-boyfriend (extramarital relationship?)? All the while falling in love with the monkey king in korean :D and obviously this show will put us through worries and heart break but ultimately have a happy (or at least open?) ending so I'm not too stressed there :D 

Only one thing I cannot accept: Did piggy call himself 400 years old????? He must be at least about 10.000! If not much older! What a lie to tell! :D 

• Like 7

So far i am really enjoying the first 4 episodes. I was worried it would get too silly but it is well grounded. I am wondering what happened to Woo Whee's love, the fan lady.  Doesn't O-Gong have the fan?  Woo Whee needs to be deity so he can save her - I think she is human? But must be very old, so perhaps she has had reincarnations. We'll see.  

I agree with so many here that making the war the great challenge is very good plot force, instead of a magical fuzzy old monster.   But also as some point out, pretty chilling considering what is really going on.   To close for comfort.

• Like 7

Princess Iron Fan (simplified Chinese: 铁扇公主; traditional Chinese: 鐵扇公主; pinyin: Tiě shàn gōngzhǔ), also known as Demonic Lady (simplified Chinese: 罗刹女; traditional Chinese: 羅剎女; pinyin: Luó shā nǚ), is a fictional character from the novel Journey to the West. She is the wife of the Bull King and mother of Red Boy. She is a beautiful female demon living in an underground cave awaiting her husband's return, but also angry at him for his affair with a foxy vixen woman, Princess Jade Face. She refused to lend the Monkey King (Sun Wukong) her fan to subdue the flaming mountains.

The pilgrims encounter an extremely hostile range of volcanic mountains and can only pass if the volcanoes become inactive. Her fan, made from banana leaves, is extremely large and has magical properties, as it can create giant whirlwinds. Sun Wukong wants to borrow her fan, but she turns him down as the monkey has been on bad terms with her husband before. Sun Wukong, however, is crafty and has ever better tactics for subduing his enemies. He transforms into a fly and flies into her mouth, down her throat, and into her belly. Once inside, the monkey kicks and punches Princess Iron Fan's guts until she is in so much pain that she gives him a fake fan which intensifies the flames instead of putting them out. Having barely escaped from the fire, Sun Wukong returns, pretending to be her husband through shape shifting and obtains the fan. Soon afterwards, the real husband comes home, angry at what has happened, he pretends to be the Pig (Zhu Bajie) also through shape shifting and offers to carry the big fan. Lost in the moment of victory, Sun Wukong carelessly believes the Bull King and hands over the fan. Later, the Jade Emperor sends his heavenly troops to help Sun Wukong defeat Bull Demon King and Princess Iron Fan for good, and she is forced to give them the real fan.

• In the adaptation in the 1996 Journey to the West series, the Princess and Bull King has already known Monkey since childhood (they went to the same school that taught Monkey his fighting abilities) and were willing to give him the fan. But their obnoxious son, Red Boy, refuses to let his mother give the fan, thus forcing Monkey to enter her tummy to force her to give him the fan.

9 hours ago, juju84 said:

As far as I've read in the original  Sun Wukong (Monkey) and Xuanzang (monk) both achieve Buddhahood in the end of their journey.

Son Oh Gong is immortal so it's hard to think they'd sacrifice him (as in he can't die) but this is a dorama so there is always this big BUT. Who knows maybe to prevent the Gates of Hell opening on Earth Oh Gong would use up all his immortality and become mortal living as a human with Sun Mi  (this one would be nice) or Sun Mi would fulfill her mission as Sam Jang and ascend to Heaven along with Oh Gong or something like that. I want to believe in Hong sisters giving them happy ending. 

i am expecting my girlfriend is a gumiho ending.. he dies.. or everyone thinks he died.. but god saves him (rewards him for finally overcoming his selfishness :tongue: )

and i can see how "take my name and i will come" will come into picture..

sunmi is crying cryuing ..and just says the name.. and bam!

• Like 8