[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

I know we all wanted a happy ending but for me, it ended the only way it could and still ring true.  I watched it with only half English subs and still, I cried and cried and cried.  As I predicted it was a bittersweet ending. In the end, this drama was really about the power of love.  Each character in his own way had to find a way to make peace with the grief and living after the one you love is gone.  For the Winter General, the Bull King, and even the PK  holding on to what ways lead to all kinds of problems.  It was only when they faced the fact that the one they loved had died that each found a measure of peace.  So our Monkey needed to face the reality of SJ's death, not forget her but admit that he loved her and will always have her in his heart.  That my friends is a real ending, not a fake one.  I cried but I also loved it, because in the real world we all have to face the death of a loved one and find the will to move on.  

• Like 6

Someone find me some good MV's of our OTP please! I'm still in pain with SM's unfortunate and injustice death. Post them here or PM me. I'm listening to track 11 of the OST. The fate of Samjang's instrumental and I'm just not willing to accept this ending at all. HELP ME chingus!!! :bawling:

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, amiedelachimie said:

In the original, at least the story I grew up with,  I believe the monkey and the monk are rewarded with Buddhahood. Everyone gets some kind of heavenly position. Definitely a happier ending in comparison to this drama.

In this adaptation, SJ doesn't even really get rewarded :( If she becomes immortal and gets out of the underworld, it's because of OG, not because heaven recognizes what she did. 

Well, I think it would have been weird if they had recognized what she did. There were other SJ before her and we saw that they were not rewarded for what they did either, no? I think paradise is probably their reward.

• Like 2

Cable

#1 Hwayugi 7.350% (nationwide)

According to ATAM, Hwayugi Ep 20’s real-time rating was 9.20% average, 10.16% peak.

Nationwide, Ep 20’s peak rating was 7.7%. 2049 target rating was 6.4% average, 6.9% peak. 40s women rating was 12.1% average, 13.4% peak. 40s men rating was 11.3% average, 12.2% peak.

In Seoul, the peak rating was 8%. 2049 target rating was 5.9% average, 6.7% peak.

Cr. Tryp96

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, booho said:

But i wanna thx for hong sister because they gave a chance for lee sung gi as son oh gong

Damn we can see his MANLY SIDE in this drama ahahahha, i watch his previous drama before but er.... still not gain my attention to him, but after hwayugi, DAMN !!!! i become lee seung gi fans now :dizzy:

True!! Haha. look from the positive side, Lee Seung Gi is so manly now.. and the beginning of episode 19 proved it :wink: A sexy OYS and a manly LSG both wrapped in white sheet.. :D I don’t think I’ve watched this kind of intimacy before in other kdrama... 

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

Good morning in my side... It's 6.33 am here... Too much drama for me after this shows... Now I try to calm my mind, I can't be more stress, my doctor already mad on me because I should got my injection last night because I'm so mad with all the mess... I will try to rationalize all their mess writing in the end. *previously I praised their writing skill for Hwayugi, better I just accepted episode 1 till episode 19*

Over all the mess, I should thank to let LSG and OYS met in this drama. Honestly I never imagine that they could be awesome like this, their chemistry really beyond my expectation.

I'm so happy to see they sit side by side when they watched the last episode together. But still I feel that OYS's so aware there were many eyes, that's why she sit one step back the row....

Okay seems LSG was so busy last night... He wears exactly same his previous event...

Thats shirts... So maybe that's why LSG was little bit late and came through secret door - back door...

This one was with the hwayugi team right?

• Like 5

Everyone has its own opinion. For me honestly I couldn’t relate at all to the story actually half way through the ending. The story line was not strong from my pint of view. I can’t understand the purpose of Sm.. so these gods or heaven figures gave birth to this human for the sole purpose of being a tool for killing evil spirit?? For saving human world, is it ok to use another human souls as sacrifice? I don’t like it... it doesn’t resonate with me. Even her death wasn’t that tragic like the villain just stab her to gain what?? If she died fighting the dragon was a more purposeful death! 

The last episode was really boring I just play in fast forward to see how the writers gonna end it. Like why they needed SOG in heaven for what exactly? SJ did the sacrifice why he has to be reinstated in heaven and now that he doesn’t want to go why they send SJ to get him out of his house... like who cares 

I remember I cried the whole finale episode of goblin. The story resonated with me. It was about life and death and how death is inevitable/ the beauty of it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, briseis said:

It seems that CSW, LE and ONE weren't there but "Han Joo", "General Frost" and even "Jonathan" made it :)

1 hour ago, chunkyung_8690 said:

in the video where lsg and oys are seen seated together, actualy there were CSW and Jaewon (mw's son) ( both eyes to the tv)  infront of them .

Aaw thanks for the info guyss.. :wub::wub: 

It is true that the last couple of episodes left a lot of questions unanswered, since the premise was that all the demons were there to help SJ seek light in this dark world, where there would be an epic battle with all the evil gathering at one place to fight against this motley gang. In the end, its really seemed like just a collection of love story with sad endings.

However, the point that interest me was Oh Yeon Seo protrayal of Jin Sun Mi, who until the last meeting with SOG, always seemed a little tense and even unsure of herself. The morning after scene where they were wrapped in the sheet was even a little awkward I thought. I am not an actress, but there appeared was none of that normally seen head resting/burying on the neck of SOG next to her. None of that shy smile since it was her first time. None of that meeting of the eyes. Perhaps( this is only to satisfy my own logic), there is always a conflict in her about her love and fear of SOG and the future. She had just thrown her lot in with a demon controlled by a bracelet..so many questions must pass through her mind...so many fears that must be locked up.Maybe OYS protrayal of JSM was really more realistic than so many gave her credit for. In the last scene with SOG, when the bracelet finally came off, I thought when she said that she loved him, there was more 'chemistry'. Poor JSM, so determined to live well inspite of her being rejected and alone, really did have a sad life.

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

*Wakes up to a storm of outcry*

That bad, eh? :wink:

Ah well... I'll wait until Netflix brings out the subs on Saturday then. My enthusiasm for the show was already waning anyway.

Are they planning a second series? Just a thought. Maybe there's method to the madness.

Hopefully there is a part 2. 

They should put a warning label for chapter 20. Watch at your own risk. :D

• LOL 3

1 hour ago, ziarama said:

The ending...still better than Black and Goblin...But I wanted more of the OTP!

Exactly how? Both of those couples were together in one way or another  in the end. 

• Like 2

Okay, I guess I'm over my petulance with the ending of this drama. Those members who talked about the original JttW where both SJ and OG go to the Land of the Dead have helped as well. The ending of episode 20 really does feel like a bridge to a part 2 of this drama, whether the part 2 ever gets made or not. Still, on reflection, it's not the worst drama ending I've seen. I guess. Anyway, I'm going to post some more scene translations for episode 20.

In this one, MW has told OG's story to Han Byul, her little brother, and the abused child from the bookseller episodes who is now living with HJ's family it seems. Then MW sends the three children to Sureumdong to ask OG for the geumganggo, promising them all the toys their heart could desire if they succeed in bringing the bracelet back. OG finds the children in his garden. It then goes onto a conversation that MW and SB are having about OG.

OG: Who came barging into my garden of their own accord? Get out. Get out!
OG: (grabbing the oldest child) I thought you were mice children, but it seems that you’re human children. How did you get in here?
Boy: An ajusshi told us to get your bracelet and give it to him.
OG: It’s Ma Wang’s tricks again. Tell him. I have no intention of leaving here, so not to send any bothersome things in here again. (letting him go) Go. (sees a toy brontosauraus on the ground) Hey! You dropped your dinosaur.
(flashback)
OG: Hey! You dropped your umbrella.
Child SM: Please protect me.
Child SM: Then, we have a contract.
Child SM: Mr. Fairy, don’t leave!
(end flashback)
Boy: Are you okay?
OG: You. Do you know me? Have you seen me before?
(Boy shakes his head no.)
Boy: Are you hurting a lot?
OG: Go, little kid.

MW: That guy, as his whole body was being destroyed, his memories shattered as well. Occasionally when a memory suddenly pops up, even though he doesn’t know the reason, his heart will start extremely hurting. That’s all that’s left. In that condition, he’s lodged himself at Sureumdong, and won’t even think  of coming out.
SB: His memories of Sam Jang have also all shattered, and Sam Jang herself is not in this world, so why is he like that? And, why is the geumganggo still here?
MW: It’s probably because he himself doesn’t have the will to take it off. Or rather, it’s probably that the geumganggo has a tight hold on his heart and won’t let go. Anyway, it’s because of the geumganggo, that the guy is still living.

After the clip ends, MW goes on to explain that when OG was fighting the black dragon and his body was being destroyed, it was the geumganggo wrapping itself around OG's heart that kept his heart alive, and therefor enabled OG to survive the black dragon's attack.

I'm still trying to accept this finale. I fell in love with this drama since the start and I believed in Hong sisters till the very and. So sad esp for our sweet SM. Despite all the tears Hwayugi remains to be one of my fav kdramas. LSG&OYS :wub: What a amazing work!! You've got a new fan!

A question: Did they explain why SOG was banned before?? the story of betrayal?? 

• Like 5

I think a sleep is what I needed. I still woke up feeling mad about the ending. But now that I'm slowly processing it... maybe, just a tiny maybe... I can accept this ending. (Well we can't really do anything with it :()

I think the problem and the reason whyyyy a lot of us are really mad because it's the otp that we clung to in this drama. The chemistry is everything!!! In my opinion, 503 couple > story. I'm not saying that the story is not great and all, but for me what made Hwayugi instantly one of my favorites is the chemistry of the leads and now that it lacks closure, we are mad.

I'll just calm myself by thinking that there are other dramas that ended happily but the kissing scenes are not as many and intense as we had with Hwayugi. Plus the bed scene. OMG that's a whole new deal!!!

Hwayugi will surely be in my Top 5 and I'll be lurking around and check the fanfics that will be posted! (I'm sure there will be, right???) :D 

• Like 6

SB and MW continue to talk about OG and his current condition, with SB explaining why they restrained OG from going to SM as part of SM's conditions for accepting the fate of being Sam Jang.

(flashback)
SM: I will accept all the terms of Sam Jang’s fate. However, I can’t allow him to be the one to kill me. If I have to empty everything, even my life, then until everything is emptied, restrain Son Oh Gong so that he can’t come near me.

MW: So, Son Oh Gong hid the knife. And, Sam Jang accepted the evil knife. (me: He’s referring to the sword that was prepared for the dragon raising ritual where they had made a stone, a bell, and a sword.) That is how the death bell’s fate was broken.
SB: Anyway, the Great Sage, Equal to Heaven has to ascend to the heavens now, but in that condition, should I even take him?
MW: Go ahead and try taking him. If you put a Son Oh Gong who is not even in his right mind into the heavens, then oh really… You’ll probably see a lot of very entertaining spectacles.
SB: It would probably be a disaster. (sighs) So, when they were talking in the heavens about ways to remove the geumganggo, I did have one idea.
MW: What?
SB: Calling forth the owner of the geumganggo and removing it.
MW: By geumganggo’s owner, do you mean…?
SB: Sam Jang. No. Jin Seon Mi, borrowing her for a little time from the Land of the Dead. Telling her to take the geumganggo off before she goes back. Just for one day. I don’t know if that will be accepted or not.

(OG sits drinking alone)
SM memory in OG’s mind: I’ll have this one. Mmm, nice scent. It tastes good.
SM voice: Son Oh Gong

My heart is still broken. I don't think i can watch any romantic genre anymore  cos i will just  be reminded of OG-Sunmi then i will bawl again. Will be watching thriller, crime, and horror instead

it would have been better if they didn't spend the ep on OG amnesia. It should be about OG saving his bride from underworld . That would have been epic

• Like 6