[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

Hi, for all who think this ending is bad, its actually very good!!! It follows the original journey to the west tale where sam jang was rescued from the land of dead and Son Oh gong has the capability to change the “book of life ” and let her live for as long as he wants!!!! (Maybe another 100000 years?)  Instead of them meeting on the streets after Sam jang is reborn or Sam jang revive and at most live for another 100 years? 

And also the way the writers ended Ah San Nyeo life actually made us pity her and after knowing Bu Ja was already gone long ago. ( Actually it wouldnt make sense if she can continue to live)

So its actually the best ending!!!

but im curious, WHO IS THE BABY HAHAHHAHA

Edited by roeun98
  • Like 14

thank you everyone its been fun to be in this Hwayukiss oops Hwayugi Tribe :heart::tongue: after calming my self i can see the ending is realistic and  sweet, the focus is about sincere love, the fact that OG give one of his red eyes is like his last effort to keep SM, he make a promise to find her, and yes he rushes his journey to the after world to find her, and for every good deed always a good gift also, Soburi give SM the one day to see OG, is not about to take off GGG but for one final proper goodbye, the fact that OG truly loves her is her gift for being a good samjang, and destiny is only something that we can try to change but there are also certain things that  already been written by the higher power, the story line is somehow stick to this i guess, well its nice the story didn't pull us to see the vision of reincarnated JSM , they both fully aware that she could transformed to be anything when she comes back, the red eye will sure find its wa, and so i put it in my fav scenes list in this drama beside the Versace on the Floor night off course :D one thing is for sure after this drama the word "activate" will never be the same anymore... LOL:D For me Hwayugi is indeed one lovely tragic fairy tale of now days, have a great day everyone... Gosh i still  miss lee seung gi lucky there is still Master of the House :wink:

• Like 10

I guess I don't watch enough kdramas, but I'm still in shock at how "famous" writers could be so bad at wrapping up plot. In retrospect, the plot was indeed messy but it can't have been too hard if they looked at the big picture. PLUS they had so much leeway considering this is a fantasy drama where logic is allowed to fly out the window. Also the number of women vs guys that died in the drama irritated me tbh? like PK should've died from that lighter or something... gosh that ending was like going on a long treasure hunt to find nothing. It's almost as if they didn't want to make a DVD that's why they made a finale like that. lmao

This was a great comeback role for LSG since he still looked cool at the end, but OYS deserved better ... :( 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

Hey, will we get a new BTS? or once a kdrama is over, we don't get anything else? 

And possibilities for a second season? could it be? with those ratings? what do you guys think? 

meanwhile *living in denial*

giphy.gif

• Like 10
  • LOL 1

Remember when I said I didnt care about the ending? I lied. No, I told the truth. Wait no.:D I have mixed emotions. Definitely did not envision the ending. Got to hand it to the Hong sisters, they are fearless in their storytelling. Maybe it’s because they have gotten older, similar to wine? 

Truth be told I’m not all up in arms , but I did expect a conclusion. I don’t mind open ended stories just didn’t expect this show to have one. Guess I have to marathon watch the whole show again (the agony jk) :wink: 

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, klila said:

Hey, will we get a new BTS? or once a kdrama is over, we don't get anything else? 

And possibilities for a second season? could it be? with those ratings? what do you guys think? 

meanwhile *living in denial*

With that open ending, we deserve a conclusive bts video of LSG and OYS :^^^)

Or a special commentary episode by the cast with LSG and OYS.

heck, just give us more episodes so we can see SG fetch SM from hell and make the baby that appeared for 2 secs (and left in 2 secs with no explanation). 

5 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

Like I said the idea for the ending was good but they just did not go far enough.

They could have showed him actually getting prepare to get her back and showed some progress towards his goal.

Exactly. One of the main reasons why it feels unsatisfactory was because they stared a new adventure thing and showed no result that’ll come from it (SG saying he would definitely come and find her is hinting at what would happen but what about after he finds her? What form would they both take?)

• Like 6

Ok, I've calmed down now, although I feel like I invested a lot of time in a relationship with the show and it let me down. At least, it didn't cheat on me(like with reincarnation crap or with SOG waiting for her for 1000 years)? But it was still a disappointment. It was not a bad ending but it was still an open one and that is unsatisfactory. I would have liked at least a little bit of a clue with the OTP in the end..maybe SOG finding JSM in the Land of Dead and holding out his hand to her. She taking it and both smiling mischievously because they are about to fight the heavens for their love by being very naughty. Maybe SOG could have ended the show asking if JSM likes Peaches and magic pills. I would have been thrilled and instead we got..what we got.

Oh show, what you could have been.

• Like 10
  • LOL 3

How funny is it that the only one with a happy ending is HJ's daughter :lol: Honestly they could've even just showed SJ with SOG in the car at the end and them driving off into the sunset after rescuing her and it would've been infinite times better and also taken zero effort to film :mellow:

• Like 10

I was so bothered by the ending that I finally made an account here after lurking for months. Have to say part of the fun watching this drama was reading here.:) We have some amazing writers here... Wish some of you went and wrote the ending instead.

I have not watched dramas in a long time. I got hooked on this one by accident after seeing a clip on Facebook... Overall I loved the acting and many of the scenes were very memorable... But as a whole the plot fell short of my expectations. Too many plotholes and unanswered questions and I think they tried too hard to be unpredictable.

Maybe all will be answered next uear in Jonathan's movie????  He promised a happy ending!:heart:

For now I will believe that OG succeeded in getting SM back... He has never failed before... And the writer just did not have the time to write about it :( I am looking forward to some good fanfics. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, countingstarz said:

How funny is it that the only one with a happy ending is HJ's daughter :lol: Honestly they could've even just showed SJ with SOG in the car at the end and them driving off into the sunset after rescuing her and it would've been infinite times better and also taken zero effort to film :mellow:

Did not think of that and now I am even more bitter.

Hong sisters!

the-avengers-angry-hulk-smash-loki.gif

• LOL 16

9 minutes ago, booho said:

But the ending same with the story oj journey to the west novel isn't it ? in the novel the monk is dead and sun wu kong go to the underworld to bring him back

I think most people want him getting SM back to be visually shown properly or hinted at in a more definite way. I actually like the JTTW ending :) I just wish they followed through with it more to end for this drama. As someone said above, maybe a scene with SG and SM driving out of hell (in a sports car :blink:) would be cute and SM could have wavy hair (like at the wrap up party) or something to signify she’s changed (maybe as a deity now!). And the pair could be laughing and then MW could be narrating over it and it’ll be like ‘that nut job has caused trouble again’ and laugh. They can carry on fighting with the heavenly realms for their love, I don’t mind, but as long as they’re visually doing it together; I will be satisfied. 

Most don’t dislike the ending because of what happened, but because it didn’t show what entirely should have happened, if that makes sense. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

For they wasted, abused and miswrote the female lead They should have simply made this Yaoi then and most people would have very pleased indeed. They already had the chemistry and love/hate going on between two hot demons. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Does anyone understand Korean? If so, how long SOG's amnesia lasted? And how long after she went back to the Land of Dead, did he set out on his journey to get her back? I am still wondering if I should watch the last episode with subs or just pretend it ended after their hanky panky and the morning after.

• Like 6

What made me very disappointed in the ending, even if it presents a symbolic meaning between our OTP, is the fact that SM died without gaining a reward for her fate as SJ. She shouldn't deserve this and why will she be sent to hell? She didn't do anything wrong or sinful. She should be up in heaven, right? 

I wish to see OG save and bring her back. My imagination of this isn't as great as if this is brought on-screen. I'm not asking for 20 episodes for a season 2, but 1 to 5 episodes of this would be fine.  

• Like 10