[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxMs3WElShSttnSBTnePjimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTm8fjVjHKkGGxSUuXAnRfOwJumfCrbmxqPV2K2gniLBDne5GKwsQ7DbZ9d57w

It's not easy letting go or moving on when you don't get the closure your heart somehow needed.  So for a drama that I almost didn't watch, that changed my mind about Zombies and sprinkled a little magic into my everyday world.  That somehow turned evil and even darkness and it's characters into light like fireworks or a Christmas tree shining giving us warmth through romance and love  Or the glitter of the stars one by one showing up.  When looking back it's story was enchanting and like the glow of the moon you couldn't help yourself in looking up.

I guess it can't really be a failure, ending or not when in truth it gave you something to remember of when your :heart: was touched.

Just watched ep19 sub... and yes, what type of ending was that.. .no wonder LSG cut his hair immediately after the show ended. I wonder if the main actors could say anything about the ending like that if they could influence the out come... sigh..

After the end of Hwayugi, at least we can still watch LSG in All the Butlers. ha

• Like 3

Reading all your comments on Hwayugi final ep, my conclusion  is that Hong Sisters needs an upgrade on the story finale department. They weaved such light and nice drama, with smart words pun etc, BUT THEY JUST CANT DECIDE WHAT KIND OF ENDING THEY WANT TO GIVE, and ended up giving us this festering pain upon watching the LAST ep. Or for me, last TWO EPS.

Yes, I am still unhappy with how they wrapped up the very last scene of BIG

And now THIS???

Come on, why did you make samjang made that stupid decision trapping SOG that btw goes nowhere and made her ended up dead? Geez. I mean, how she asked sbr to trap sog and how she fought kds alone and died just like that really infuriates me.

I am also surprised that the end for KDS and ASN is just like that, after all that they did. Dear writers, do you realize that you dilly dally on things? 

Also, they really need to invest more on CGs.

I have yet to watch ep 20 but after watching ep 19, i dont feel the need to watch ep 20. What a waste of time.

I am so sorry for the wonderful casts and crews that are put up to do all these in the middle of winter.

Really, whoever come up with THIS story should do better job next time. That ending IS NOT ENOUGH. STOP DILLY DALLYING, 

and btw, dear viewers, after all these, do you reaallly really want them to come up with season 2? Jeez. Not for me. Why? Because I cant guarantee that there will not be any season 3 due to their lack of willingness to give us CLOSURE. They have their chance. 20 ep should be enough to give us witty, well planned closure. But what is this? Samjang died in the most foolish way she can. Octopus also died just like that, after weeks of nothingness, and so on, and so on.

And after ep 20, i am sure i will have more things to complain about, so i am not watching that, thanks. Plus, that (supposed to be) epic battle is really microscopic in value, noting that it only takes less than 5 minutes to be over with, and has really mild action too. Seriously, show? It really feels like buying frozen meal that looks delicious on the packaging, only to find out that the beef is miniscule, the rice wont cook properly, and the sauce is half-done.

EDIT: OK now I have read ep 20 on dramabeans, but I dont think I will watch it though. Bittersweet is not for me, although how ASN and kDS ended is 80% satisfactory (I actually wish for crueler end for ASN, but hey, I would take anything as long as she is gone). But upon reading ep 20, I know why you guys are asking for season 2, because it really feels...unfinished.

I would say that hwayugi is a great light drama. I would suggest new viewers to skip ep 19 and just read recaps, because, really, how jsm died is so infuriating.

Edited by marinated_lemon
Change of mind
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, YourHighness . said:

The cast is not going to give interviews about the show? I would have loved to read their thoughts on the ending.

If I was one of the casts, I would want to bang my head against the wall upon reading THAT script for finale week. Interview? Yeah. Perhaps even if intervoew happens, we would just say...sad that it has ended, but happy that we have given our best (unsaid: despite of the sh**ty closure)

But then again....they can also be busy w other schedule after the wrap up. Hence interview becomes difficult to make happen.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, marinated_lemon said:

If I was one of the casts, I would want to bang my head against the wall upon reading THAT script for finale week. Interview? Yeah. Perhaps even if intervoew happens, we would just say...sad that it has ended, but happy that we have given our best (unsaid: despite of the sh**ty closure)

But then again....they can also be busy w other schedule after the wrap up. Hence interview becomes difficult to make happen.

If there will be an interview for the casts, I hope the interviewer will ask LSG and OYS about their feeling about working with each other. :D Ottokke.. I think I am obsessed with these two. I never thought they will be a perfect pairing before. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

14 hours ago, haymochi said:

" Oi give me back my bride"  in his poop talking manner way :D

despite my pain for Sunmi's ending, Buja's ending is more tragic( her soul is gone so she has no chance of reincarnation) . At least we can highly assumed that powerful OG will get his bride no matter what. He even gave his precious eyes to her... she may not be a human anymore or forget about him in the underworld but our monkey will chase her around, kiss her, and do whatever to get his Sunmi.

i wish we were given one more ep to finish this 

i'm in so much oain but ep 1-19 have given me so much feels from  this amazing otp. The best chemistry i've ever witnessed among all dramas. I will take ep 19 as the ending 

Exactly what I thought!

Okay, not all

I think I will stop at the mprning after.. *giggling"

So could I say it's 19.2 or 18.2 episode? (18 episode + 0.2 of episode 19)

• Like 4

For the last time, I just want to say that, despite that ending, Hwayugi still is the best drama ever because of LSG and OYS. This is only the second time I'm this obsessed with a drama till the end though I've watched countless dramas during the last 18+ years. With MDBC, the drama withdrawal that I've felt for the first time was so bad it took me nearly a year to heal. Even then, it still wasn't gone completely before Hwayugi. And the obsession was nowhere near this level. So, this time, how long... How long will it take. How long will this void in my heart last. I can't even imagine. It's like there's a black hole in my heart. So heavy, but also empty. I'm not gonna say Good Bye to Hwayugi. I'm never gonna say good bye to Hwayugi. It will always be in my heart. LSG and OYS, thank you. Thank you for everything Hwayugi.

PS- I heard the new drama offered to LSG will be produced by OYS's agency SO PLEASE CAST THEM AGAIN?????? EVEN Ji Sung and Hwang Jung Eun got reunited only after two years SO I BEG YOU. SAVE ME FROM THIS SUFFERING. GET MARRIED.

BTW, The ost album though. The ones they released digitally aren't all they're gonna release RIGHT????? With that ending AT LEAST GIVE ME ALL THE BEAUTIFUL OSTS SO THAT I CAN BE SOMEWHAT HAPPY???????

• Like 14
  • LOL 1

Stellar casts, prime actings, great portrayal, massive promotional campaign, loyal fans like us won't always guaranteed a drama will be remembered well. This drama built a very steady development after some issues early on. Turned to be one of the most interesting drama, one of the most romantic and solid plot i've ever watch. And i've been watching since 2001. That's gotta be something, right. 

I know there can never be a perfect drama. But there is certainly way to create a memorable and heart warming drama. Even if it ends badly, it ended that way in any sense and we could just move on and smile when we remembered all the ups and downs of the drama. But there is also another type. That once looked so promising you loved it so much, but then one single mistake, then everything fell apart. I just wished the ending would be better. 

Finished watching ep.1 just now and reacquaint with young JSM just totally wrecked me. I am so sad for her. How come her life was one of the very unhappy. Pitiful i got to say.

All in all, i would love to share my version of ep.20 to you. Let's say a fanfic of a sort. Please no bully. Each of us must've our own ending version right now. Just sharing what's mine.

JSM was now in the Underworld, she went on a very long narrow path. Dark and somber. She didn't pass the Hell's Gate. She doesn't belong in there. They refused to let her in because she's SJ. She ahinea brightly like a deity now and her lotus scent overwhelming. So she continues on with no choice and a little grasp of reality. She met Halmeoni. They're talking and keep on walking. They talk about past, about how JSM had grown. This time it's real Grandma. Not the Mermaid's Tears imagery. Halmeoni talked about the said Mr.Fairy who eventually come to JSM. But she didn't remember meeting such fairy. They talk about alot of things, and JSM ask her to come along completing her journey, but Grandma said she cannot leave here. JSM had to continue her path alone. Grandma's last message was, 'Remember his name'.

In confusion and sadness and loneliness, she went on. She met the White Heron and prev SJ. They are finally reunited. Some wise words was spoken, and when it's time to part ways, again they said, 'Remember his name' 

So JSM walks again. Now it's the path when she was younger and chased by the ghost-teacher.

At some point on the road, JSM met with SF and BJ. They told her to be happy. She doesn't belong in here. She just needs to call him, and he will come for her. Again, JSM was so confused. Now she saw her mini GGG ring. Flashes of memories. She knows it's him, the special person. But she hasn't remember his name. Yet. 

Meanwhile, we could see other caharacters' closure. The drinking ban is now lifted, but 50 just seem has no motivation to live on. He looks fine but he missed JSM alot. He remembers her smile and all the things they do together. He locked himself in Sureumdong. But he finally emerges and went to JSM's house. MW helped with the Real Estate company to be under Lucifer Ent and managed by HJ. KDS, PK and evertone xan basically as they would be on the episode.

So 50 eats the cotton candy but it's tasteless. He ended up on Namsan Tw. Reminisce at the love lock when SBR suddenly appears. They exchange words and he thanks 50 for his bravery. If 50 has one wish, what would it be? He said no more Sam Jangs. 4 people suffered is more than enough. Sky is mighty, think of something else to save the world. SBR said, would you come to Oh Heng San again? To celebrate the beginnings? Since 50 seemed to reliving moments with JSM. 50 said, why not. He once told JSM that she was his other Oh Heng San.

Back to JSM.

SBR suddenly appears and explain many things she forgotten already. He told her that she made a promise with a deity and a deity's bride. She doesn't belong to the Death. She has to follow the path and to remember one important name, to find the answer on her own. SBR thankful for her sacrifice, she gave her life, she fought bravely. If she had one wish, what would that be? She said no more Sam Jangs to the world. Instead, send more kind people instead of sacrificing one. The Sky is mighty, they will know how to do that. SBR sends her away, deep in thoughts about her words. Exactly the same with 50's. SJ is kind, that's expected. But coming from 50? He looked up and ask, 'Don't you think these kids deserve a reward? JSM has a golden heart that even turns the rock-hearted monkey deity-like.'

Filled with doubts, more flashes of memories that brought her to tears, she walks and walks and passed through the path she was once had been when she was younger. Her path to Oh Heng San. She remembers they're beginnings. It's the end of the road. She remember's this place, but she cannot get in. In more flashes of memories, she finally remembers and call out 'Je Chun Dae Sang, Son Oh Gong'. Hopeful, she enters and saw no one. So she called again, more desperate this time.

She turns on her back hearing 50's sound saying, 'You finally called'. His eyes shines gold and so does JSM. Fade out.

Ahhhh.... that's my closure. No kisses and hugs, but they definitely meet again. And dare i say, both are immortals now. As in, JSM is also a supernatural being due to her unusual predicament and her contract with 50. Even at the lowest point of her life, she still thinks of others. Now that's my JSM.

So that's my version. Do you have yours?

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

@kjesin Yes i agree that this is the best drama ever and YES it's mainly due to LSG and OYS. The supporting cast contributed too, they were equally amazing! Have you watched a drama where you cared for every character except KDS?  This one made me feel for them...

If a drama could allow us, strangers, to have rich and deep discussions about life... The script must be good! I have not participated in many discussions but this is the drama that made me check SOOmPi everyday before i sleep and when i wake up.. This drama made me want to read all your perspectives ...this drama drew an antifan who tried to make the drama offensive.... This drama made me watch the episode three times at least (raw, translated scenes by @stroppyse @kjesin and other kind souls, chinese sub, english sub):lol:... 

After watching the final episode for the third time (you guys gave me the courage to do so!) I must say Hong Sisters are very GOOD! Why?

1. They remained UNPReDiCtable till the last episode!! 

2. They were consistent in ensuring we go on an Odyssey too.. I remembered saying watching this drama is a weekly emotional roller coaster

3. They continued to teach us life lessons even till the last episode!

Life is not full of fluff! Episode 20 deals with death which they did not explore fully in episode 11. What happens when a love one is gone? How would the living deal with being left behind?

In the beginning,  SOG was broken and full of regrets because he lost the most important person in his life and he did not show her what he wanted to show her! Remember he wanted to show SM that he could remove the GGG. He needed to pick up the pieces on his OWN in order to be whole again....Heavens gave him an opportunity to remove that regret he had... He not only remove his regret,  he was able to make a new promise to SM through giving a part of him to her.... So beautifully written and executed... Why no kiss? Well, when they were alive, they did what they wanted to; They cherished each other, they loved deeply..

It's a reminder that we should treasure our loved ones...love wholeheartedly.... 

PK, on the other hand, showed us that though he knew the fact that BJ liked him at the point where she will be gone..

He said it is good...it is something he doesn't find burdensome but instead was glad... Sometimes we think that the living person will be hurt by the love that remains but the love could be a source of strength for the living...

Look at Mawang! His love for his wife and son gave him purpose in life and allowed him to resist temptation for 1000years and more to come.... 

So after rewatching the final episode a third time....this is a great and meaningful ending....  It just didn't pan out the way we want..fairytale wedding, children etc...

i totally LoVED the drama including the ending.... :wub: This will be a classic for me! 

Of course i wouldn't mind Hwayugi 1.5! This time with better fighting scenes..

Thank you everyone for Everything! :heart: you made this journey a stupendous one for me! I hope to read your analysis the next few days..

• Like 14
  • LOL 1

OMG I have been trying so hard not to watch the last episode with eng subs. I have been refreshing every websites constantly and alas, still the RAW version. Does anyone else know a website which has already released it with eng subs? I would be forever grateful. :D

• Like 1

Okay try to rasionalize the ending can help me to cure my own wound...

Back to listening to the OST that often played in episode 20 then I played again and again for this whole day

OST PART 1 - LET ME OUT

Spoiler

The more I try to push you out, You enter my head

Even when I close my eyes, You get clearer

Let Me Out
Why Don’t You Let Me Go
You Wanna Hold Me Down

Go Away Go Away
I wanna get far away from you

But I’m going to you like I’m being pulled
even though I know
Woo Woo Woo Woo Woo

Again today, I want you
Let Me Out

Just leave me alone for a moment
Give me a little bit of time, to me

Like a shadow in front of me, I can’t escape you
I still long for your breath

Let Me Out
I can’t leave you

When I’m looking at you
No Way No way
You Gotta Let Me Out

As if it’s destiny, It’s connected, The space of you and I

If I’m away from you, I start to miss you

Let Me Out
Why Don’t You Let Me Go
You Wanna Hold Me Down

Go Away Go Away
I wanna get far away from you

But I’m going to you like I’m being pulled
even though I know
Woo Woo Woo Woo Woo

Again today, I want you
Let Me Out

I’m too overwhelmed to get out
Please take me out

In the end, I’m back again
Please go far away

I’m still holding on to your warmth
I can’t let go
My heart is still the same

I’m still holding on
My heart is beating however it wants
It’s running to you

Why can’t I let go of your hand?
I think of you more as time goes by

Let Me Out
I still can’t leave

Still
Woo Woo Woo Woo Woo

You Gotta Let Me Out

Okay this is part 1. We often heard this one in the beginning of this drama. But in the end we heard this one again, this was the last one, when SOG wanna go to The Dead Land, to meet JSM. Why they chose this one?

Maybe because this song described what he finally did in the end. In the beginning he felt so annoyed with that love, he said JSM was only another The Five Elements Mountain that trapped him, but in the end he willingly trapped himself in that kind of feeling that made him ready to go far away to find JSM, he couldn't leave the feeling.

Then the next one...

OST Part 2 - WHEN I SAW YOU

Spoiler

When I Saw You
I only thought of you
When I Love You

Did You Miss Me
Even if my heart changes
I Will
I Wish You Next
Let’s stay just as we are

Will I be able to go back?
When I Saw You

Always Behind Of You
Always Behind Of You

Close Your Eyes
I can only see the back of you leaving
When I Leave You

Are You With Me
Even if the world hates us
I Will
I Wish You Next
Let’s stay just as we are

When I Saw You

Always Behind Of You
Always Behind Of You

I’ll bury you in my fading memories
I’ll live just with those memories

Your eyes, your face
If I can forget all of it

When I Saw You

Always Behind Of You
Always Behind Of You

Yeah same like OST part 1, this one also often we heard in beginning, specially when JSM met SOG again for the 1st time after few years, with one believe that she met Mr Fairy someday... Yeah, when she saw him crossed in front of him. And now they chose this song, after SOG showed that without GGG, his love still remained. And he showed her what he hid from her this time, that he ever said that would make JSM happy for sure. But what? In the end, that's her turn to left him alone, but this time he promised that he would find her no matter what.

Next that I remember from episode 20...

OST Part 6 - If We Were Destined

Spoiler

I’m sure it’s destiny
It was already decided
Even when we first met

We can’t change it
If love hasn’t ended yet

Like a night where even the moonlight has hidden
My heart is turning black

I’m placing my longing into the falling rain
In case you would forget me

If it’s fate, I’ll accept it
If it means that love is a sin

I’m sure we’ll meet again
If we really love each other

If we’re really meant to me
If it’s really destiny

Like a night where even the starlight has hidden
I’m also losing my light as well

I’m placing my longing into the blowing wind
In case you would forget me

If we’re really meant to be

Even the sound of the rain all night is so sad
As if it knows how I feel

I’ll just keep my growing feelings of missing you
Please don’t forget me

If we’re really meant to me
If it’s really destiny

Omona... This song is the sad one... Imagine I should heard this song when SOG finally should face the reality. When Mawang told him to collect all his shattered memories, include the important pieces, that's the moment SOG loss his the one and only love, when SOG finally felt his most painful hurts, not bleeding outside, but that hurts inside. Seriously that's so sad... Plus they played this OST.

The last one...

OST Part 9 - Believe

Spoiler

I Believe In You
I’m Missing You

In the same spot
The memories clearly remain

I Believe In You
I’m Missing You

It’s alright if you’re late, I understand
I know you’ll come back

If I still remain in you

Where are you?
More than any other day
I miss you
Did you lose me?

You’re my one and only
You’re irreplaceable
I’m longing for you

Day by day
It hurts but I believe in you

I Believe In You
I’m Missing You

Before things get any fainter
Can you come back?

I’m sorry, I try swallowing my heart
But it hurts

Where are you?
More than any other day
I miss you
Did you lose me?

You’re my one and only
You’re irreplaceable
I’m longing for you

Day by day
It hurts but I believe in you

Okay we heard this song since episode 18... For the 1st I thought this's such a sweet song... But after all those tragedy.... Hhhhhhmmmm...

We heard this in the last episode 20, when finally SOG remember JSM, he remember that the one who's crazily love not JSM, instead him. He remember that the one who put star in the sky should be him.

So what do you think about the OST for episode 20? So they already make hints for the ending??? But why I ever got false hope because of their OST too???

OST Part 7 - Someday, Like Miracle

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, YourHighness . said:

I thought my disappoint would end after sleep but sadly it didn't and I am still feeling empty and unsatisfied. I need closure.

So I am just going to pretend that SOG always intended to bring back JSM's soul from the Land of Dead after she died in his arms but his plan was thwarted by him loosing his memory. Infact, I will even imagine that he magically preserved her body so he can bring back her soul once again in it(they never showed that he burned her or buried her. Even LHJ questioned why there was no body found of hers). After they promised to find each other, SOG left the next day itself to the Land of Dead. He found the Book of Life/Death and erased her name from it. He found her(No one would stop them since her name is no longer in the books) and he winked her soul to Sereumdong to let her enter her magically preserved body. Then he took her to the heavens to eat the immortality peach and the magic pill. Now she is an immortal and whether the skyland kicks them out again or not, they will live happily ever after, have a wonderful wedding with MW playing the piano and PK sing.They will have a baby who looks like SOG and maybe JSM could even come out of hiding in the real world since her body was never found and so she was never declared dead. With SOG being such a public figure, they will just pretend she lost her memories momentarily and she will let LHJ(maybe he will comment on how similar their baby looks to the one SOG brought to the office once) continue running her business while she lives as Mrs. CEO of the M group.

Sigh..how I wish. So much potential this show had and how it disappointed me. BTW I agree with many here that it felt like they kept it open ended for potential Season 2 but I really doubt that will happen since the cast was so star studded. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they just stuck with LSG and OYS in S2 and went ahead with different characters but I still doubt it will happen.

And since we can pretend whatever we want, PK finds out what SOG is up to and tags along and  when they find JSM, she's with BuJa & Summer Fairy (I don't care if they aren't supposed to be there!) and they rescue them all and they run back to live at Ma Wang's hotel with him. And Ma Wang finally gets enough points and becomes a deity so he is able to bring his wife back and acknowledge his son and they all live happily ever after. 

9 hours ago, Zelda said:

Here are the links to the four posts I have written so far (with sections) explaining the kinds of spirits and other supernatural terms: One, Two, Three, Four. Though I am actually working on compiling and revising that information into a new post with lots of other new info on symbolism, the objects used, references to Journey to the West, and other cultural/religious/folkloric background that was used in this show. Whenever a drama has a rich folkloric or historical background, I like to study and then create a nice little guidebook/glossary with all that info bundled together. I find it makes for a richer (re)viewing experience, and makes me better able to follow and appreciate new fantasy and/or historical dramas in the future. If anyone's interested in it, I hope to have it posted here sometime in the next couple of weeks.

---

@ladysaotome If you would like to know more about the netherworld as it is portrayed in Journey to the West, then this chapter portrays Son Oh Gong's own trip into it, and these three chapters (chap10, 11, 12) follow other characters trip there and back. The reasons and rate at which characters come back to life in JTTW is rather incredible. I know of five characters so far, and I'm not near done with reading the whole story! (If you're like me and sometimes wonder at the mechanics and reasoning behind which characters in Chinese fantasy webnovels transmigrate into another body, I think JTTW chapters 11-12 were the inspiration for that.)

....but leaving all that aside I must admit I started grinning when it was revealed that Oh Gong was going to go get Sun Mi from the underworld. That is exactly what I would expect him to do, and since I know what he did in Journey to the West, I have every faith that he will succeed. If Oh Gong goes to get Sun Mi, before reincarnation, then she will still remember her love for him.

I loved your posts on terms, @Zelda, I pinned them so I'll always be able to find them. And I'll be looking forward to your guidebook/glossary! :)  Thanks for the chapters. I'm already planning to read Journey to the West but those will be very interesting to read. I've seen bits of Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms so I'll have to check it out more. As for your thoughts about Oh Gong going to get Sun Mi, I felt the exact same way. I knew he was going to kick butt and succeed. And I wanted to smile but couldn't through the tears.  Frankly, is some ways, his giving her his eye so he can find her felt so smart I wanted to believe he planned the entire memory situation on purpose to manipulate the heavens into sending her back so he'd be able to give her his eye and go find her. 

Personally I'm just 1) mad that he has to go get her at all because imo his winning against the GGG should have meant he could win against the deadly fate/heavens plans enough for Sun Mi to not die at all since that was the one thing he was begging the peddler woman when she told him he could change his fate and 2) I wanted to see her again - they could have even shown her waiting for him, knowing he's coming - maybe him seeing through the eye he gave her or something - just anything to connect them a bit if they didn't want to show us him storming the gates or driving off with her. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ladysaotome said:

2) I wanted to see her again - they could have even shown her waiting for him, knowing he's coming - maybe him seeing through the eye he gave her or something - just anything to connect them a bit if they didn't want to show us him storming the gates or driving off with her. 

I think everyone has this complaint. They would have liked to see the connection between the OTP in the end..as a last frame. I'm surprised the Hong sister gave the show and the couple such an open ending. They never do that. I've seen almost all their shows and they love to show full closure with almost sappy happy ending...that's what makes me suspicious about them keeping it open ended for a season 2 in the future.

BTW I'm a little selfish about the OTP and only thought about their happy ending but I liked that you gave everyone a happy ending. :D

@Zelda Please tag me too when you post the guidebook. I would love to read it. :)

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, ukeindo19 said:

So that's my version. Do you have yours?

Ok, So here's my fanfiction version: Oh Gong keeping the GGG had two purposes. 1) In case he died, so she'd not feel so bad thinking his love was fake (even though he was wrong, since she'd have still missed him horribly). 2) In case she died, so he'd be able to go get her back - he knew the ownership would change and he deliberately wiped his own memory afterwards. Ma Wang was in on the plan so he could suggest to Elder that they send Seon Mi to get off the GGG. It was all a ruse so when Oh Gong got his memory back, he could give her his eye and be able to track her. (He traded eyes so he can see through the one she has and she can see through the one he has and they always can see what the other sees.)

After they promised to find each other, SOG left the next day heading to the Underworld where people wait years to be reincarnated. PK & Winter General find out what SOG is up to and run after him wanting to help and also find Bu Ja, Octopus Dragon, and Summer Fairy since they know if anyone can do this, Oh Gong can. (I know they aren't all supposed to be there but idc - somehow, they are.) 

Oh Gong (with a tiny bit of help from the others) blows the gates off, storms inside, causing all kinds of chaos. They find the Book of Life/Death and erase Seon Mi & Bu Ja's names from it (Summer Fairy was never human so she's not on it, don't ask me to explain. lol). In the meantime, the others aren't sitting around waiting, they're causing their own trouble since they know Oh Gong and crew are coming. They all eventually run into each other and and they whisk off to Ma Wang's new hotel. Meanwhile Ma Wang has finally gotten enough points and become a deity so he is able to get his wife back and acknowledge his son. Seon Mi & Oh Gong finally have a wedding with everyone there, MW playing the piano. And someday they have a baby who looks like SOG. And they all live happily ever after, spending their days vanquishing evil spirits so there won't ever be enough gathered in the world to create another black dragon - that way there never has to be another Sam Jang and the cycle is broken. And since the heavenly realms are happy not to have to worry about an apocalypse ever again, they let them go.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, sopkenzy said:

OMG I have been trying so hard not to watch the last episode with eng subs. I have been refreshing every websites constantly and alas, still the RAW version. Does anyone else know a website which has already released it with eng subs? I would be forever grateful. :D

*deleted*  has it woth 80% subs

Edited by stroppyse
Please do not reference unlicensed viewing sites on the threads here.

1 hour ago, stargazer187 said:

1. Why is the heaven really wants SOG to remove his ggg? What’s the rush which make them to call JSM from netherworld only to make him take it off and so want him back to heavenly realm???

2. Why do they make ASN just realized that she can no longer be preservative without samjang. I mean, with all of the mess she created, only to end her up realizing that she’s actually an evil spirit. Why doesn’t she ask to be burned in the first place? Aigooo.

But I love how she ended that way. That’s the price she must pay if she never feels remorse to what bad things she’d committed.

1. The heavens had given OG a place back in heaven for his deeds, but was worried about allowing an OG who had completely lost his memories and thus withdrawn from everything into heaven. They decided that if the GGG could be removed from OG, that he might return to normal. So, that was why they placed so much importance on removing his GGG, and was even willing to have SM come back for a day to remove it.

2. After thinking about this and rewatching the episode, in the end, since ASN was doing the bidding of heaven, they didn't destroy her immediately as soon as the black dragon had been vanquished. However, ASN had not realized that without SJ's blood in the body that the body would start deteriorating ever more quickly. Also, ASN had been in denial all the while that she was an evil spirit. She still thought that she was the shaman/priestess with power. It took OG driving the point home that it wasn't her will that caused her to come back to the world. Rather, it was KDS and other evil essences that had called her forth as an evil spirit. Still, it doesn't seem to be until she started deteriorating that she really understood that she was just an evil spirit with not a lot of innate power to her. I also appreciate how she ended her own existence, though, as badly as I felt for PK.

Btw, I kind of had a bad thought. What if since SM has OG's eye now so that he can recognize SM regardless of what she looks like, they're actually already setting up for a Hwayugi Season 2, but knowing that they may have to have different actors? Then, the mystical eyes could be used to explain why SM looks different. And, then if LSG isn't available, they can just note that OG as a god changed his appearance since they can do that. Hmm, I'm really not excited about a season 2 of this drama. Sorry.

13 minutes ago, manaic said:

what the hell is this:lol:

https://ibb.co/j7dvxn

I think it is from an online variety travel show called New Journey to the West that was a Na PD production. LSG plays Sam Jang on that show, but the cast members joked around a lot with each other.

Link to the wiki page about the show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Journey_to_the_West

On 3/5/2018 at 2:29 AM, ziarama said:

I think endings in the fantasy genre often are left for the viewer to reflect on subjectively. So, it really is how I viewed it and what I personally find to be a happy ending. With that said:

In Black, he is wiped out entirely from everyone’s memory, she lives happily, just to remember him when there was one-minute left of her life. Him being forgotten by everyone, after everything he went through, felt unfair. So i was dissapointed and felt robbed with the ending

I got Black feels after seeing this ending cause in both cases OTP didn’t exactly have a happily ever after. I love fantasies and I love romance so I just wish this would happen in a kdrama already. I don’t know if they do that to leave room for a possible season 2 or cause as you said it’s fantasy so they leave an open ending to interpretation. But I want...NEED my happy ending! Real life sucks enough for me, can I have an ending that rocks my socks off so much I can forgot IRL?

• Like 6