[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

5 minutes ago, madinked said:

That doesn’t look lik OYS though. 

That's during his bday party i think not the wrap up party

i remember seeing the bts where she  and other crew singing and bringing a bday cake . Then it got  cut off abruptly as usual :crazy:

idk maybe just shippers being delulu too hahahahaha:tongue:

• Like 3

I have this nagging unfulfilled feeling that won't go away. I feel so sad. BTW do you guys realize that the start of the journey began with JSM breaking out SOG and now their new journey will begin by SOG breaking out JSM? Poetic but still pretty unsatisfactory for me. :( Why, Hong sister, why?! Why couldn't they just give us a tiny glimpse of SOG with JSM in the car to show that he successfully broke her out of the Land of the dead? Did they really want to keep it open ended for season 2?

A friend was telling me that the Land of the dead is actually like a lobby where you wait for your turn, so that the heavens can calculate your deeds and decide if you go to hell or heaven? That's why JSM was called back so easily to remove the GGG. Is that true or is the mythology different in Hwayugi?

And I'm curious did she and will she forget about SOG when she goes back? Why did he urge her to remember his name?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, YourHighness . said:

I have this nagging unfulfilled feeling that won't go away. I feel so sad. BTW do you guys realize that the start of the journey began with JSM breaking out SOG and now their new journey will begin by SOG breaking out JSM? Poetic but still pretty unsatisfactory for me. :( Why, Hong sister, why?! Why couldn't they just give us a tiny glimpse of SOG with JSM in the car to show that he successfully broke her out of the Land of the dead? Did they really want to keep it open ended for season 2?

A friend was telling me that the Land of the dead is actually like a lobby where you wait for your turn, so that the heavens can calculate your deeds and decide if you go to hell or heaven? That's why JSM was called back so easily to remove the GGG. Is that true or is the mythology different in Hwayugi?

And I'm curious did she and will she forget about SOG when she goes back? Why did he urge her to remember his name?

I just think that Sunmi is in a paradise and OG is going to bring her/ kidnap her whatever it takes.

we are talking about SOG who is a deity as well. Him putting his eyes on her means he has a plan  bto bring  her back

..he wants him to remember his name no matter what just in case her memory is erased? Like maybe the painful one ? 

Hence if OG didn't damages his memory he would have done this since the start

5 minutes ago, huhuhahahihi said:

Seung Gi came late to the wrap up party. He can choose to sit anywhere he want but still he "choose" to sit next to Yeon Seo.  Proof that you cannot trust 100% what's shown in the BTS . :lol:

I will take whatever makes me

happy. Yes yes yes:D

• Like 9

9 hours ago, RobinM said:

Exactly how? Both of those couples were together in one way or another  in the end. 

I think endings in the fantasy genre often are left for the viewer to reflect on subjectively. So, it really is how I viewed it and what I personally find to be a happy ending. With that said:

In Black, he is wiped out entirely from everyone’s memory, she lives happily, just to remember him when there was one-minute left of her life. Him being forgotten by everyone, after everything he went through, felt unfair. So i was dissapointed and felt robbed with the ending. 

In Goblin, he is left all alone, waiting for her, for god knows how long. And we know she will be reincarnated again, so their happiness is short-lived. And the Goblin doesn't have much to say about their fate, I felt like, so all he does is wait and live forever. He will never interact with his best friend and sister again. So for me it was a very sad ending.

In Hwayugi, OG found love, that in itself is a happy ending, a deity that lived for so long without love and to finally give love and get love was beautiful. He drove off with a smile, letting us know he’s going to get Jin Seon Min, not a reincarnation or SM, but the actual JSM and we know that the heavens can’t control him (so mission accomplished). I also got the sense that she was a deity or something else, because even OG couldn’t figure her out and she didn’t really clarify what she had become either. And we know they have a baby waiting, Ppalli ppali!:D

I think much of my initial disappointment with the ending was that I was expecting them to have a “human” ending. But OG was never human, and I don’t think JSM was meant to live a human life. When she was “visiting” she seemed content only thing she seemed sad about was OG´s pain because of the geumgango. And for the other characters it was business as usual, meaning that what we saw was a chapter in their supernatural world. And MW got to meet his son and they will be in each other’s lives and he is truly friends with OG now, so a happy ending. Bu Ja’s ending was sad but she started of dead and at least her killer was killed, so sort of a happy ending.

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, haymochi said:

I just think that Sunmi is in a paradise and OG is going to bring her/ kidnap her whatever it takes.

we are talking about SOG who is a deity as well. Him putting his eyes on her means he has a plan  bto bring  her back

..he wants him to remember his name no matter what just in case her memory is erased? Like maybe the painful one ? 

Hence if OG didn't damages his memory he would have done this since the start

I will take whatever makes me

happy. Yes yes yes:D

Ah,thanks for explanation... Paradise but with or without her memories? I am guessing without and she was given back her memories when she was sent back to earth for a day and maybe that's why SOG urged her not to forget his name. Sigh, so many questions and guesses.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, ziarama said:

I think endings in the fantasy genre often are left for the viewer to reflect on subjectively. So, it really is how I viewed it and what I personally find to be a happy ending. With that said:

In Black, he is wiped out entirely from everyone’s memory, she lives happily, just to remember him when there was one-minute left of her life. Him being forgotten by everyone, after everything he went through, felt unfair. So i was dissapointed and felt robbed with the ending. 

In Goblin, he is left all alone, waiting for her, for god knows how long. And we know she will be reincarnated again, so their happiness is short-lived. And the Goblin doesn't have much to say about their fate, I felt like, so all he does is wait and live forever. He will never interact with his best friend and sister again. So for me it was a very sad ending.

In Hwayugi, OG found love, that in itself is a happy ending, a deity that lived for so long without love and to finally give love and get love was beautiful. He drove off with a smile, letting us know he’s going to get Jin Seon Min, not a reincarnation or SM, but the actual JSM and we know that the heavens can’t control him (so mission accomplished). I also got the sense that she was a deity or something else, because even OG couldn’t figure her out and she didn’t really clarify what she had become either. And we know they have a baby waiting, Ppalli ppali!:D

I think much of my initial disappointment with the ending was that I was expecting them to have a “human” ending. But OG was never human, and I don’t think JSM was meant to live a human life. When she was “visiting” she seemed content only thing she seemed sad about was OG´s pain because of the geumgango. And for the other characters it was business as usual, meaning that what we saw was a chapter in their supernatural world. And MW got to meet his son and they will be in each other’s lives and he is truly friends with OG now, so a happy ending. Bu Ja’s ending was sad but she started of dead and at least her killer was killed, so sort of a happy ending.

To add on Goblin have to live forever while human can only be reincarnated for 4 times. So if she dies for the 4th times then that's it

hwayugi is leaning towards more happy ending cos in one way OG himself is a diety and he has to get whatever he wants no matter what esp if it's Sunmi who is the whole universe for him. The disappointment is we don't get to see him taking his bride lol. Why waste time on losing memory part? 

Anyway hong sisters have went ddorai with the last ep so we can't do anything about it but thank you for giving me the best otp , best love story, and best chemistry ever:heart:

i'm gonna remember all the beautiful love except the last ep 

• Like 9

Seeing all the comments here and watching snippets of it makes me feel so empty because it is considered an open ended ending. Like some of you mentioned, I thought I will feel better after a sleep, but when I wake up it still feels the same.. 

Never felt so empty before after a drama ends. Gonna miss our otp so badly! Seriously the best on screen couple I have seen and they have the best chemistry! 

Now the only thing that I will accept is they give us a special episode/season 2 or please just date in real life uri LSG n OYS. 

Anyway thanks all soompiers for the comments, analysis n translations. It's what makes this drama roller coaster ride enjoyable. :) Will miss all of you n your comments! 

Guess I will need a few days/weeks to get over this ending. Huhuhu

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, haymochi said:

The disappointment is we don't get to see him taking his bride lol. Why waste time on losing memory part? 

Sorry to cut your post.

But this this is what I wanna echo too! They could have add in just one more minute to show OG have successfully find his bride in the underworld and ready to mess it up n bring JSM out! But they choose to show him driving to underworld. Lol. Who drives to the underworld? Only OG could. Hahah. 

I m guessing because it's over budget to show the cgi of underworld and they just leave us to imagination. 

• Like 6

This drama would have been super epic if it was preproduced or at least got more time to shoot

maybe it's the only thing  Hong Sister can give with the tight filming and budget constraint in just one week

sigh...

still one of my fave drama and the best otp ultimately 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, YourHighness . said:

I think the Hong sisters deliberately left this an open ending. JTTW had many stories to tell which I dont think Hwayugi covered as much. For example - SJ all the disciples and demons became a person whom became selfless and as @stroppyse said about the GGG "develop the willingness to do something for others sake (mainly humanity) rather than their own." Hence why after each battle with a demon, the demon/s will no longer become evil and was able to devote themselves strongly more to Buddhism. The brotherhood between the disciples became stronger to a point where they would sacrifice their own lives for the other and more so eager to seek the scriptures to save humanity. Im surprised that in Hwayugi we didnt see PK, YDJ and even MW development. Rather the fate of the world was left to only SOG and SJ. Thats why there will  should be a season 2,  MW was suppose to turn evil and try to eat SJ and only Monkey was able to fight him. Then MW son - Red Boy would then seek revenge on SOG. These 2 stories were the main battles in JTTW and Im surprise we didnt see it. Who writes an adaption of JTTW without these 2 main battles for SOG, SJ, PK and YDJ? Sorry Im not buying only the Hong sisters dare do that because thats just their own twists and not really related to JTTW. Its like doing a remake of a Star Wars and not include Darth Vader, Superman and no Lex Luther,  Transformers and no Megatron. (sorry some bad examples but I hope you understand my idea) Im just sad that we didnt get to see MW powers. I would love to see CSW turn into a giant bull and fight Monkey... argh!!! if only this was preproduced not only the CGI effects would look so much better but such battles would be possible. 

According to Chinese and Buddhism (as seen in JTTW and  Goblin), the land of the dead as your friend describes it is where one awaits for their judgement of either being sent to heaven or hell. And once when the judgement is given they would (like Goblin - Hong sisters hasnt forgotten this) drink a potion where they will forget their past before going off to their next journey. So SOG mustve given his sight to SM to prevent her from forgetting him and when they do meet and despite drinking the potion she will recognise him regardless.

Sure signs of season 2 right? Maybe possible if some network is willing to fund it? but in the meantime just a rotten open ending. 

For me, I'll stop at ep 18 and watch a lil bit of the morning after in ep 19 then STOP!!!! :D

• Like 6

When I watched the ending last night, I was like... omg, again??? Why I always attracted to this kind of drama?  1st was Scarlet Heart and 2nd was Black. OYS is my bias and I started to follow Hwayugi because of her.  Tbh I'm not fond of LSG before, he was cutie pie kind of guy which is not really attractive. However, Hwayugi 1st episode has changed my view of LSG. He looks very manly & swoony.:heart: And the most important is the chemistry between him & OYS is so strong. It feels so real! Their maturity and outstanding craft in carrying SOG & JSM role are so believable. 

Also, I'm grateful Hong sister created a successful lady in 30s as the female lead character. Not kind of cutie and crybaby little girl. And those romantic scenes and bed scene were crafted in a very subtle and beautiful indeed. Thus it was a shocker when Hwayugi or especially LSG willing to risk and do that kind of lovemaking scene. I wonder how Korean audience accepting this scene as they are quite conservative and LSG is so popular with his positive & good image (i just google this information for the past 2 months:D). About the ending, it was frustrating because I'm expecting a beautiful and fairytale ending. Nonetheless, I will take what Hong sister gave us for Hwayugi.

The withdrawal stage is so hard this time. Maybe it will be more than a month to recover. Till then I will camp myself in shipper thread to "empty out this precious feeling of SOG/LSG & JSM/OYS in my heart".

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Japan still want to air Hwayugi after the ending? Hope it will going well with the rating there. How can I rewatching Hwayugi after this ending? :bawling:  need the closure but looks like will never get it. Fighting guys, see you when i see you (in other thread)

Looks like OYS want to let her fans know she is fine even the ending was hurt

• Like 9

I still on denial with the ending...

Yeah they explain how SOG betrayed by humans before. He felt betrayed because he did that because people asked him to do that. But from heaven's point of view, he just did that to show off, he never loved that people. So in the end heaven set this punishment for him, trapped him in love and let him tasted the pain of love.

After the subs finally I start to understand that the reason he could win and alive because GGG protected his hearts. All the pain of losing the one and only his love, true, GGG that helped him to endure the pain. Before GGG was the reason of his pain because he tried to said NO to love, but then GGG protected him because the pain was from his love towards JSM.

I just knew that Seung Gi and Bora is close.. Found the interesting video... Please tell me what video is this...

Spoiler

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Kasmic said:

I think the Hong sisters deliberately left this an open ending. JTTW had many stories to tell which I dont think Hwayugi covered as much. For example - SJ all the disciples and demons became a person whom became selfless and as @stroppyse said about the GGG "develop the willingness to do something for others sake (mainly humanity) rather than their own." Hence why after each battle with a demon, the demon/s will no longer become evil and was able to devote themselves strongly more to Buddhism. The brotherhood between the disciples became stronger to a point where they would sacrifice their own lives for the other and more so eager to seek the scriptures to save humanity. Im surprised that in Hwayugi we didnt see PK, YDJ and even MW development. Rather the fate of the world was left to only SOG and SJ. Thats why there will  should be a season 2,  MW was suppose to turn evil and try to eat SJ and only Monkey was able to fight him. Then MW son - Red Boy would then seek revenge on SOG. These 2 stories were the main battles in JTTW and Im surprise we didnt see it. Who writes an adaption of JTTW without these 2 main battles for SOG, SJ, PK and YDJ? Sorry Im not buying only the Hong sisters dare do that because thats just their own twists and not really related to JTTW. Its like doing a remake of a Star Wars and not include Darth Vader, Superman and no Lex Luther,  Transformers and no Megatron. (sorry some bad examples but I hope you understand my idea) Im just sad that we didnt get to see MW powers. I would love to see CSW turn into a giant bull and fight Monkey... argh!!! if only this was preproduced not only the CGI effects would look so much better but such battles would be possible. 

According to Chinese and Buddhism (as seen in JTTW and  Goblin), the land of the dead as your friend describes it is where one awaits for their judgement of either being sent to heaven or hell. And once when the judgement is given they would (like Goblin - Hong sisters hasnt forgotten this) drink a potion where they will forget their past before going off to their next journey. So SOG mustve given his sight to SM to prevent her from forgetting him and when they do meet and despite drinking the potion she will recognise him regardless.

Sure signs of season 2 right? Maybe possible if some network is willing to fund it? but in the meantime just a rotten open ending. 

For me, I'll stop at ep 18 and watch a lil bit of the morning after in ep 19 then STOP!!!! :D

Oh thanks for the information. I had no idea MW and his son were supposed to turn evil and fight SOG to kill and eat SJ. I guess Hong sisters chickened out because it could have gotten the MW actor hate and he is well loved with a huge fan following? I agree that the show would have been so much better if it had been pre produced. But then SHR was pre produced that it was a HOT mess. But Hwayugi's writing and directing was better so it would have been good.

But is the potion to forget ones memories a necessity or a choice in Hwayugi's Land of the dead? I am hoping it was a choice which is why JSM took the potion before since she thought SOG love was fake and he wouldn't suffer without her. But now that she knows he would suffer for eternity because he truly loves her, she would choose not to, especially since he promised to go find her so they can be together forever. Althought the way he insisted that she remember him and not forget his name AND gave her his eyes, I'm afraid the potion is forced and not a choice.

Honestly, Hong sisters could have easily given us closure by showing SOG and JSM have a happy ever after, they have always done so. That's why it does seem like Season 2 could be in planning but whether it will pan out or not is a question, especially with the actors availability. I wouldn't mind if the whole cast but LSG and JSM were changed because their love story was integral to the show. I think S2 would be just as interesting if done right..more so infact. Imagine JSM having powers and being just as active in the ghost/demon busting but all she remembers is his name and slowly SOG helps bring back her memory till we get a wedding and a baby. Of course the end result would be them becoming deities.

Haha, that's a good idea. I am going to pretend the show ended after their morning after too. It's too painful otherwise. :(

• Like 5